• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Shahed

They attempted to restrict Emma's power by making her a single-line quartz user, but it really doesn't work :p
That's because so many quartz have passive bonuses. You might onky be able to equip 1 mind gem, but there were stuff like Brahma, Chakravati(sp?) and other random quartz that also put ATS up. Same reason I didn't even bother with Attack 2 quartz on Rean and Laura since there were better stuff. You could see what they were trying but it didn't really make a difference!

The upside to characters with long lines is that unlocking nodes boosts max MP, and the farther along the line the node is situated, the greater the MP boost. This is why Emma and Elliot have such high max MP.

ys45

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the bosses since chapter 4 has been pretty ridiculous .
Was fighting
Scarlet
in Chapter
my party was lvl 50/51 I was doing great aaaaannnnnnddd she one shoted half my party by using her S-Craft attack Rean and Laura were at 500 hp left and got killed by the burn effect -_-

And before that, it was
Nosferatu
kicking my ass by spamming his fucking nightmare thingy with infinite adds .
I have no issue with normal enemies but when I get to bosses it's like a huge difficulty spike in this game .

I am playing on normal , good thing we can lower difficulty of the boss fight at least .

Some bosses pretty much encourage you to damage rush as fas as possible within the first few turns

In this game the longer the battle drags out the worse it is for you

You can build defensively with the right quartz combos

Gu4n

Kind of prematurely -- gotta do something with all this hype, right? -- I threw together a guide for Cold Steel II that deals with sidequests, how to obtain character notes, how bonding events work, and your usual checklist for master quartz, books and fish. It's fairly straightforward and devoid of spoilers where possible.

I'll add recipes and how many monsters to collect per location/entry later, and update quest names and all once I got the game myself.

...Is it Fall already?

Kind of prematurely -- gotta do something with all this hype, right? -- I threw together a guide for Cold Steel II that deals with sidequests, how to obtain character notes, how bonding events work, and your usual checklist for master quartz, books and fish. It's fairly straightforward and devoid of spoilers where possible.

I'll add recipes and how many monsters to collect per location/entry later, and update quest names and all once I got the game myself.

...Is it Fall already?

No :(

Also, thanks for the guide. Will be sure to use it on a second playthrough when i go for 100%

...Is it Fall already?
Wow! Thank you so much, Guan! :D

aravuus

...Is it Fall already?

Awesome! I was afraid hoping for a day one side quest guide would be too much, and here we are with a day -200 guide.

Famassu

...Is it Fall already?
If it's not too much trouble and if possible in PasteBin (or elsewhere), could you

1) format that a bit better (bold and/or underline Chapter headlines etc.), that would make it a bit easier to page through the thing and find what you're looking for
2) maybe re-structure it in a way that has everything you need to do roughly in the order you need to do it. So not like it is now where you've got Character notes as a separate section. Have everything mixed together but in a kind of chronological order. So the structure & formatting would be more like

CHAPTER 1 DAY 1 MORNING

1) Sidequests:
A) Side-quest A
B) Side-quest B

2) Character notes
Character Note X: do sidequest A (needs to be done before story mission)
Character Note Y: bonding event with Person K

3) Story mission

4) Character Notes
Character Note Z: Talk to Person F

5) Bonding Events
Character I
Character D (*character note update*)

6) Side quests
C) Side-quest C

CHAPTER 1 DAY 1 EVENING

and so on and so on

HUGELY appreciated if you have the time & effort to do so. Of course there's no rush, there's still months before the game is released outside Japan. It'd be super awesome of you if you could get it done by release. You could also keep those separate sections for everyone who just needs to check up on some character note or bonding events they are missing so that they don't have to go through the whole guide, but also have more of a step-by-step thing if possible and if it's not too much of a trouble.

Can you let her explain her motivations first ? She has things to answer for , then you can make your witch trial as you see fit.

I don't actually remember what [vague Cold Steel spoiler]
Emma did that's so severe. Other that keeping the main character in the dark. Which is pretty much what every in-the-know character do in all Trails game I played.

I don't actually remember what [vague Cold Steel spoiler]
Emma did that's so severe. Other that keeping the main character in the dark. Which is pretty much what every in-the-know character do in all Trails game I played.

i agree that's why i don't agree with that way of disliking the character.
Did rean hate the Main bad guy after learning his true nature ? Why isn't he like Rean and be forgiving ? /s

jbluzb

Im in the early part of the game with jusis and matias conflict - just met his brother rufus, oh my greatly enjoying the game, so much fun playing this :D

the story is intriguing even if I did not play trails in the sky

Jisgsaw

Well, I've been binge playing this game as much as I can with my workload right now.
So far it's really great, I think I like it even more than Trails in the Sky (though I did find the characters a tad better in the latter).

The only thing bothering me a bit is the change (compared to TitS) to the orbment system, and the fact the lines don't mean anything. Did they change this back in Cold Steel 2? I miss optimizing my lines to have the best setup possible, in Cold Steel it's limited to finding the best quartz...

Gu4n

Well, I've been binge playing this game as much as I can with my workload right now.
So far it's really great, I think I like it even more than Trails in the Sky (though I did find the characters a tad better in the latter).

The only thing bothering me a bit is the change (compared to TitS) to the orbment system, and the fact the lines don't mean anything. Did they change this back in Cold Steel 2? I miss optimizing my lines to have the best setup possible, in Cold Steel it's limited to finding the best quartz...
No, it's still the same ARCUS system in COLD Steel 2. Ironically, one of the characters used to the 'old' orbment system also complains about ARCUS's limitations.

omgfloofy

Banned

This was actually the single most disappointing part of Cold Steel for me when I played it, because I felt like it ruined the joy of arts users. They're a bit better in Cold Steel II, but nowhere near as good as the original system.

It's not that they don't mean anything. You can only equip one status inflicitng orbment (seal, etc) per line, which is why the physical damage dealers have multiple.
And iirc a character gains more MP per slot unlock the higher tier the slot is which is why art users have less lines.

I'm ok with this system since I felt it forces me to think about what arts/support/stats orbments to equip since I can't have all of them per slot.

Nyoro SF

It's not that they don't mean anything. You can only equip one status inflicitng orbment (seal, etc) per line, which is why the physical damage dealers have multiple.
And iirc a character gains more MP per slot unlock the higher tier the slot is which is why art users have less lines.

I'm ok with this system since I felt it forces me to think about what arts/support/stats orbments to equip since I can't have all of them per slot.

See I think that's what they were going for but then Master Quartz completely breaks that concept by offering you lines of extremely useful arts.

For example Emma, apart from maybe one other art you wish to add, can equip Criminal and have the full line of Fire Arts without compromising a single slot. Bad balance, but I think Falcom stopped caring halfway through battle design lol

Gu4n

If it's not too much trouble and if possible in PasteBin (or elsewhere), could you [...]
That's the plan: first update the separate sections with the localised terminology, then copy-paste everything to sort it on a day to day basis. I added the recipes and monster list, so at least it's complete for now. Back to the waiting game it is.

Jisgsaw

... Well, that's a cliffhanger alright.
It's only my third Trails game, but I notice the games tend to really, really literally bombard you with most of the plot twists right at the ends of the game, my only complaint with the games would be that this could be paced much better IMO.

... Well, now the waiting game begins ;_;

... Well, that's a cliffhanger alright.
It's only my third Trails game, but I notice the games tend to really, really put most of the plot twists right at the ends of the game, my only complaint with the games would be that this could be paced much better IMO.

... Well, now the waiting game begins ;_;

I've been waiting for 4 months and 18 days, welcome to my hell. Do try not to spoil yourself... its really fucking hard not to though >.<

Jisgsaw

I've been waiting for 4 months and 18 days, welcome to my hell. Do try not to spoil yourself... its really fucking hard not to though >.<

Well, right after I wrote my last message I did spoil myself very little things from the Wiki page of the game (
namely what happens in the intro, and that your other classmates survived (not that that is much of a surprise, there are very few death in trils game)
)...

Do we have an exact release date in the meantime, or is it still "Summer 2016"? And considering I'm in Europe, I'll have to wait a bit more...

Meffer

Saved before the Practical Exam in chapter 4 and went on till I got to the train and decided to call it a night. Before saving I decided to chat with my party and play Blade. Got to the last member (Fie) and played the last card in the bout. Then the game froze (music still played but input didn't work and nothing moved). I had to manually turn off my system. Now I have to gain those 30 minutes of play time tomorrow.
Still a absolutely fantastic game.

Bladenic

I'm picking up my platinum run second play through. I don't have to do all the side quests again do I? I know I've already skipped doing some (chapter 3), so hopefully I don't have to start all over.

Saphirax

I'm picking up my platinum run second play through. I don't have to do all the side quests again do I? I know I've already skipped doing some (chapter 3), so hopefully I don't have to start all over.

You'll need to do like 40 for the medal in order to be eligible for the other master quartz.

Famassu

Did you get the A0 student rank trophy? You can't miss too many missions for that. If you didn't get that on your first playthrough, you'll have to redo, like, 99% of the side quests to get it.

Bladenic

Did you get the A0 student rank trophy? You can't miss too many missions for that. If you didn't get that on your first playthrough, you'll have to redo, like, 99% of the side quests to get it.

I already got that one first time, I just need to do 40 quests this time. Thanks tho

Gu4n

Does it look worse?
Judge for yourself:

F3dib6Z.jpg

Vita

HL71cbe.png

PlayStation 3

I personally prefer the Vita version because of its portability and the ease of connect earphones.

jbluzb

just finished the game!

the cliffhanger makes me super excited for CS2 :D

My winning team is jusis, gaius, laura, alisa, elliot! I was trying to date jusis but sadly it seems not possible :( but the festival events (garden and tea) were fun with jusis haha

The game is too long for my taste but the books and lore are so engrossing. I will be playing Trails in the Sky FC next!

Hikami

It's only been like 5 months since I finished this but I want to replay it already. CS2 release has to be closer though.. do we have any release date news on that at all? Haven't been keeping up with it.
edit: Just scrolled up, woops. Fall, eh?

Top Bottom