• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Saved before the Practical Exam in chapter 4 and went on till I got to the train and decided to call it a night. Before saving I decided to chat with my party and play Blade. Got to the last member (Fie) and played the last card in the bout. Then the game froze (music still played but input didn't work and nothing moved). I had to manually turn off my system. Now I have to gain those 30 minutes of play time tomorrow.
Still a absolutely fantastic game.
That happened to me twice with different people at different points playing Blade. I avoided it after that.

bryt

Holy Crap!

Just finished the game and there are
Gundams
! Single-handedly turned this game from okay to freaking awesome! Now I can't wait for CS2 for more
Gundams

Holy Crap!

Gundams
! Single-handedly turned this game from okay to freaking awesome! Now I can't wait for CS2 for more
Gundams
CSII will have more of it with better mechanics for it too! :D

Finished chapter 1 yesterday. The game is growing on me with every minute I play it, I just wish I had more time.

Glad you finally started up on it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Holy Crap!

Gundams
Gundams

That battle system strangely feels similar to the last ranker for me. Or I may have forgotten how the last ranker played like.

zakujanai

Not sure how I feel about them replacing BleuBlanc's voice in SC. I guess it makes sense and I can't even remember what he sounded like anyway but somehow it seems wrong to me.

Shahed

Depends on what news we get for 3rd before CSII releases. After completing the first game I was eagerly anticipating CSII and kept thinking about it for ages. It's been a while now and while I obviously still want to play the game, I'm no longer frothing at the mouth so to speak.

I'd be perfectly okay waiting 6 months after the release of CSII to play 3rd first.

Famassu

Aww snap

now Im torn

do I play it when it hits or wait for 3rd? Life is full of tough choices
Just play it straight away. I don't think it really matters which one you play before the other. Seeing all the connections between all these games will be cool no matter what order you play them. Like take the story about (certain TitS FC + SC character spoiler in relation to 3rd)
Caius
in 3rd. Having first played Cold Steel and having heard about
all the trouble Bracers have had in Erebonia in the recent past
then seeing 3rd's explanation about how said person was involved was cool even if I experienced them in the "wrong" order (Cold Steel first, 3rd's story segment second). If I had played 3rd first, I would have been all "oh, hey, cool, this is that shit that went down that was explained in 3rd" during Cold Steel.

nan0

Uhh, so Prince Olivert,
is he Olivier from TitS? I only played FC, but man that resemblance is striking

bomblord1

Banned
So I know there's some carry over in the form of starting bonuses for Cold Steel 2 if you have a save file from the previous game.

Does who you
chose at the festival
have any affect on 2?

Ultimadrago

Finally started this today and I have to know does this
Alisa having tensions with Rean because of the worst out-of-the-anime-book accidental boob fall joke
last for long?

Please tell me it doesn't. After coming from Trails FC/SC, it's killing me silently already.

Alisa having tensions with Rean because of the worst out-of-the-anime-book accidental boob fall joke
last for long?

Please tell me it doesn't. After coming from Trails FC/SC, it's killing me silently already.

It will probably last a little longer than you'd like it to, but it's not an issue for most of the game.

Kvik

last for long?

Don't worry. She'll be dere for Rean in no time.

Gu4n

last for long?

I hated that as much as you and the next person did, but I ended up genuinely liking Alisa. So there's that.

Corpekata

Banned
last for long?

Like a lot of things in this game, it takes its time. The game's structure, especially early on, makes a few story/character beats last way too long. Don't worry, it's dropped before the pervy grandpa gets introduced!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jusis falls out of plot relevance earlier than I'd like, but he stays extremely useful battle-wise all the way up until the endgame.

Jusis falls out of plot relevance earlier than I'd like, but he stays extremely useful battle-wise all the way up until the endgame.

Most characters in Class Seven only get about a chapter of significant plot relevance. I'm hoping the sequel builds on this, though I'm still expecting certain characters are gonna get much more development than others by the end.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Most characters in Class Seven only get about a chapter of significant plot relevance. I'm hoping the sequel builds on this, though I'm still expecting certain characters are gonna get much more development than others by the end.
I already expect Rean, Crow, Fie, Emma, and Alisa to overshadow everyone else. I'll honestly be (pleasantly) surprised if Jusis, Gaius, Laura or... anyone else, really, gets significant plot development or screen time dedicated to them.

Gu4n

While I didn't particularly care to have Millium in my active party, I did take her with me often in CS2 to enjoy the te Jusis-versus-Millium running gag. There are a couple of collisions between those two that made me roar with laughter.

Jusis gets his fair share of development in CS2 and, as I mentioned before, for reasons redacted I expect Gaius and Laura to get prominent roles in CS3.

bomblord1

Banned
last for long?

It's reconciled by the end of the first chapter

Cqef

Yup, it's a way smaller deal than what some people over here used to make it look like. Alisa gets likeable pretty quickly.

last for long?

She, like everyone else new to you not named Sara starts behaving like realistic awesome Falcom Characters very shortly, with only a couple crappy characters later.

Just consider them otaku bait and reinforce that its not needed for sales stability despite their fears that it is.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

KmA

Ok so I was hyped for FC and SC for so long and when I finally finished them I felt highly underwhelmed. I just got Cold Steel because I haven't played a video game in awhile and holy shit y'all... this game is so good wtf I was not expecting this. I can't pinpoint what it is that makes it so much more enjoyable but I'm absolutely loving it.

AmuroChan

That seemed adequate to me. There are only 6 chapters. Dedicating an entire chapter to someone like Gaius or Laura seem more than what most side characters get in other JRPGs.

I already expect Rean, Crow, Fie, Emma, and Alisa to overshadow everyone else. I'll honestly be (pleasantly) surprised if Jusis, Gaius, Laura or... anyone else, really, gets significant plot development or screen time dedicated to them.

I think Jusis will have significance in the sequel because of his father's involvement in the conflict. They also set up Rufus to be a pretty important NPC in the first game. So I don't think Jusis will just disappear from the plot.

Nyoro SF

Character dead weight is a severe problem, and unfortunately not really handled or fixed in the sequel in terms of plot.

You can still have fun with dialogue though. Not like that goes away. I encourage liberal use of the screenshot function.

It just made me feel a little bad for a few of the characters because they feel so nonexistent a lot of the time.

aravuus

After a totally planned 4-month break from the game, I'm back to playing it! Looks like I stopped around chapter 4's second half and after playing for an hour, I'm surprised how well I remember everything that's happened so far etc. Gonna try and play at least an hour every day I'm actually home and have the time so maybe I'll actually finish the game before CS2 comes out lol.

Mcdohl

Guys, I need honest opinions on my case.

I bought this game because of the good word of mouth from Trails in the Sky (which I have yet to play). I finally started playing it today and...it did not leave a good first impression on me at all.

I do not want to be quick to dismiss it, but I also value my time, specially due to my current lifestyle.

I have only clocked ~60mins, and this is why I do not like it so far:
-Really bland dungeon, town, and enemy designs.
-Game is too tropey (characters are too archetypical, many scenes and behaviors are very predictable or cliche. For example, not even an hour has elapsed and we get a scene where female character lands on MC -> awkardness -> girl calls out MC and slaps him)
-Battles feel slow and do not require a lot of strategy (to be fair, this is probably because the game is starting, but it should not necesarilly be this way...see SMT series for example)
-This is not a dealbreaker, but there seem to be frequent FPS dips on Vita

Do any of those things get better? (specially 1 & 2)

And if they actually don't, why would you still recommend it?

Guys, I need honest opinions on my case.

I bought this game because of the good word of mouth from Trails in the Sky (which I have yet to play). I finally started playing it today and...it did not leave a good first impression on me at all.

I do not want to be quick to dismiss it, but I also value my time, specially due to my current lifestyle.

I have only clocked ~60mins, and this is why I do not like it so far:
-Really bland dungeon, town, and enemy designs.
-Game is too tropey (characters are too archetypical, many scenes and behaviors are very predictable or cliche. For example, not even an hour has elapsed and we get a scene where female character lands on MC -> awkardness -> girl calls out MC and slaps him)
-Battles feel slow and do not require a lot of strategy (to be fair, this is probably because the game is starting, but it should not necesarilly be this way...see SMT series for example)
-This is not a dealbreaker, but there seem to be frequent FPS dips on Vita

Do any of those things get better? (specially 1 & 2)

And if they actually don't, why would you still recommend it?

- Dungeons slowly ramp up in complexity, but they stay relatively simple and short-ish until the very end. Towns are varied from huge capitals with multiple zones to small farming villages with only 2-3 houses. Not sure what's bland about the enemy design. It would help if you say what you find bland about the town and enemies, because I think the starting town is a pretty decent place for example.
- Tropes are there so you can easily get a feel for the huge cast at the beginning. They are present througout the game to some degree, but most characters have a decent amount of development and don't completely rely on them. Except for Gaius who simply has no character.
- Battles become better. They shouldn't be slow though. Don't be afraid to spam your crafts, especially with Rean.
- Performance on Vita doesn't improve so you have to get used to it.

I don't think the game has a very strong start but try to continue at least for a few hours. You really haven't seen what this game is about yet. You have to give it time to introduce you to its world and mysteries, but once it does.. so good.
Also, try to get used to the slower pace and start talking with people. NPCs have something new to say after pretty much every single story event, and I feel like that's the aspect that makes these games special. The world feels like a real place with real people just living their lives.

I can easily say the game would have been a much worse experience if I never took the time to talk to people, getting to know them, reading the news magazines, just generally getting immersed in the world.

Yeah this is true. Getting invested into the world definitely pays off.

aravuus

Also, try to get used to the slower pace and start talking with people. NPCs have something new to say after pretty much every single story event, and I feel like that's the aspect that makes these games special. The world feels like a real place with real people just living their lives.

I can easily say the game would have been a much worse experience if I never took the time to talk to people, getting to know them, reading the news magazines, just generally getting immersed in the world.

There's also a general Kiseki thread ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763697 ) that seems to be much more active, if you've got more questions

Mcdohl

Not sure what's bland about the enemy design. It would help if you say what you find bland about the town and enemies..

I can't picture the enemies I have fought so far in my mind. I find them forgettable. Dungeons do not do a great job with ambiance: Textures and layout are very simple. Look repetitive.

Maybe a good counter-example could be Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Dungeons are usually very simple as well, but they look pretty. Another vita example could be FFX HD, game is an eye candy.

Even P4 that is a dungeon crawler...dungeons have more 'personality'.

I've only seen two dungeons so far, but the problem is they are very samey. My concern is that this stays true throughout the game.

Thanks for the other info, I'll keep at it a few more hours.

I can't picture the enemies I have fought so far in my mind. I find them forgettable. Dungeons do not do a great job with ambiance: Textures and layout are very simple. Look repetitive.

Maybe a good counter-example could be Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Dungeons are usually very simple as well, but they look pretty. Another vita example could be FFX HD, game is an eye candy.

Even P4 that is a dungeon crawler...dungeons have more 'personality'.

I've only seen two dungeons so far, but the problem is they are very samey. My concern is that this stays true throughout the game.

Thanks for the other info, I'll keep at it a few more hours.
I get what you mean, but I'm not sure it improves much in that respect. The visual (and audio) design of the final dungeon blew me away, for what it's worth.

All I can say is, try not to get lost in those details and see the game as a whole. It's really very good.

Top Bottom