• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

starting again trails in the sky, I didn't liked the beginning it's very very slow , but CS made me curious about it

It is slow but starts picking up steam once you leave the first town and meet a certain... interesting person

Its a rollercoaster after that all the way till the end of SC

At least I know I couldnt put the game down after that

Logical-

Neo Member
I just started trails FC again as well. I played it when it first came out, but it had so many glitches, so I dumped it. After finishing CS my interest sparked back up. I just started the 3rd chapter, and I love it. I also bought SC during the steam sale so I can jump right in whenever I finish FC.

aravuus

I'm still only like 25% through my talk-to-all-NPCs run of FC, let alone the whole TiTS saga. I'll TRY to finish them before CS2 is out, but it's gonna cut close.

Oreiller

I'm still only like 25% through my talk-to-all-NPCs run of FC, let alone the whole TiTS saga. I'll TRY to finish them before CS2 is out, but it's gonna cut close.

Eh, I'm doing the same thing, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it in time. I at least hope I'll be able to finish SC this way before The Third comes out.

aravuus

I think doing something like that would make me hate the games lol

Best of luck to you guys though

You know, it's actually had the opposite effect on me lol. I wasn't a very big fan of TiTS when I finished FC + SC the first time, but now that I'm replaying it, going at it with a completely different mindset, taking it slow, just getting immersed in the world and all the NPCs' lives, I'm enjoying it much, much more.

It's a pretty cool way to play, really.

pbayne

I could never do that full NPC talk either though i do try and keep up with the ones im interested in.

For example atm in CS i find Rosine's life about becoming a nun way more endearing and interesting than some of the main characters.

Korigama

Going around talking to all of the NPCs has a lot to do with why I've only recently reached chapter 3 of this game (need to make more time for FC after getting it only a week ago as of today, having only just passed the bracer exam at the very beginning). I'm enjoying that aspect of the game just as much as the rest of it, though, it's just very time consuming.

Shin-chan

87 hours and I just beat the last school house boss. Man, he was an absolute fucker. I just spammed the shit out the adamantine shell spell. Burn was also really useful against him since it did about as much damage as a fully charged Laura S Craft.

I hope the actual last boss isn't as much of a damage sponge as him.

aravuus

For what it's worth, my talk-to-all-NPCs run of FC landed me on 98 hours of playtime.

FUck me. Did you ever do the same with SC? I would imagine it'd take even longer, considering how much more open the world (iirc) is through most of the game.

e: sorry for the tits talk lol, I know this thread's about CS

Ultimadrago

FUck me. Did you ever do the same with SC? I would imagine it'd take even longer, considering how much more open the world (iirc) is through most of the game.

I did it for both (or to my knowledge). Speaking to everyone between minor/major events and getting more than "Welcome to Town!" every time is one of the top remarks I give to the Legend of Heroes series! I really love how they took advantage of it in FC to get you accustomed to the town and some of the people within it while in SC you more so got a little recognition for favors you completed previously. There was really an effort put to actually sell me on a community for a PSP title. It was madly appreciated.

I'm hoping Cold Steel 2 has some of those sprinkled around. I also like when someone says, "Oh, I hope my son so-and-so is okay in this city" and then you end up in the city and meet them! It's things like that.

zakujanai

For what it's worth, my talk-to-all-NPCs run of FC landed me on 98 hours of playtime.

I'm confused, do most people not really too all npcs? It can get tiresome but it's the most rewarding aspect of these games for me. Also, you'd never get a full BP run if you didn't, so much is easily missable.

At least now I get why SC took me 120 hours when most people seem to do it in about 60.

I'm confused, do most people not really too all npcs? It can get tiresome but it's the most rewarding aspect of these games for me. Also, you'd never get a full BP run if you didn't, so much is easily missable.

At least now I get why SC took me 120 hours when most people seem to do it in about 60.

I talk to them if I feel like it, and I seek out my favorites

but I don't make a chore out of it.

Slashlen

I love talking to all the NPCs in Trails games.

I think my favorite thing about the Trails series is how it develops its world and characters, really taking the time to flesh things out. So many games have nothing but empty "Welcome to Port City!" statements or everyone giving the same "There's something about that cave to the west..." line. Trails will do a few of those of course, but there's a lot of people just going about their own business with their own issues and obsessions.

Putting all that effort into the NPCs really makes it feel more like a world and not a series of towns and dungeons designed for me, the player, to wade through. So many of those odd little NPC character developments have nothing to do with anything in the main plot, but you can keep following them, as long as your own character's story doesn't make you leave the town. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't, but it makes it feel like a place.

And I think that really helps, because Trails for me relies on that buy-in on the world. When I think back on SC, there's a lot of arguments I could make as to why it's a lazy sequel. It has very heavy reuse of characters and assets from the first game. You're literally in the same country again, with the same cast except for one new guy. You go through the same towns again, the only really new stuff is some new dungeons that mostly look the same except for a color change.

And none of that matters. The reason I loved SC was being able to go back to that world with those characters. And it's not just the major ones like Estelle, or Oliver. It's also the little things. It's the wannabe treasure hunter who I could keep checking up on in the museum having the treasure examined that came from a sidequest in the previous chapter. It's the aspiring reporter in Rolent who knows way too much. It's also sidequests like the one in Bose that was for tracking someone down based off a photo, and I knew who it was with one look at it. A lot of it are just the details, and NPCs are some of the details that makes these games special.

SC was 114 hours for me on the easiest difficulty.

Though, I am generally a very slow player who take my time walking everywhere and do things like loading an earlier save just to see wjat the reaction would be if Estelle answered this instead of that, or what would happen if she failed such and such quests.

I do it in every game and it bloats my playtime terribly.

I found the tale of the wayward noble daughter and the family butler frantically in search of her quite compelling.
I love that one! Though I feel like Cold Steel has much fewer "travelling" NPCs with a game-spanning arc like that one compared to the Sky games.

Nyoro SF

I talk to nearly every NPC in the towns at least once and if I like them I'll make a point to talk to them again.

I'm a very fast reader though. So I can catch up with people pretty quick.
(In every game I play, I set the text speed to fastest).

It's why voice acting for games usually loses its appeal about 10% into the game. I read much faster than people can speak so I end up skipping VA lines unless it's a character I haven't heard yet.

zakujanai

I talk to them if I feel like it, and I seek out my favorites

but I don't make a chore out of it.

It seldom feels like a chore but I get why you would do this I suppose. Only the travelling to far off areas (as mentioned below) can get a bit tedious. This is where you can miss some of the best stuff though (I'm looking at you Anton).

I talk to nearly every NPC in the towns at least once and if I like them I'll make a point to talk to them again.

I'm a very fast reader though. So I can catch up with people pretty quick.
(In every game I play, I set the text speed to fastest).

It's why voice acting for games usually loses its appeal about 10% into the game. I read much faster than people can speak so I end up skipping VA lines unless it's a character I haven't heard yet.

I can read fast but don't find that's the thing the takes the most time, it's the trek all the way back to the border station to see what the guards are now saying.

Having said that, CS was generally better in that respect as there was less of this to do (I'm pretending Nord doesn't exist), so I don't know how I still got up to 110 hours on that.

Shin-chan

Finally finished! And what an ending. I'm glad 2 has gotten a release time frame already because I can't wait to continue everything now. Now I can go ahead and watch all the available footage of the English version they've shown.

So, what's everyone's favourite track from the OST? Hands down its Eliminate Crisis for me. That song is so good.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Shin-chan

Yeah while I think CS didn't have too many stand out tracks it's still leagues ahead of FC, and most of the songs I liked in FC get improved versions in SC.

One thing I do like about the CS music is that there are often small references to themes in TiTS in music. Like the song during the major development of the final chapter has clear uses of the Glorious theme in SC.

GNOSIS

Just finished this at around 80 hours mark! Great game!

Now I need to go back to SC so I won't have to be afraid of any spoilers in Cold Steel II.
Mecha fight is so cool!

Shin-chan

After finishing it I've got that empty feeling you get after something is finally over. I've spent the whole year since January catching up with the Trails series and now I've got nothing left until CS2. Thank god there's going to be a CS3 afterwards as well, and that the in between games are starting to get brought over.

It's nice when a great franchise is only going further and not in some weird limbo like many Japanese series are at the moment.

I really liked chapter 3 too. Good place to grind for levels and sepith.

I'm on chapter 4 about 80 hours in. I love this game, makes me want to try out Trails in the Sky.

Trails in the Sky is just as good. You won't be disappointed, though going back to an older game with a weaker battle system will probably be rough, but understandable.

Xeteh

Trails in the Sky is just as good. You won't be disappointed, though going back to an older game with a weaker battle system will probably be rough, but understandable.

Yeah, I totally agree. I hadn't adored a game as much as I did Trails in the Sky FC in a long time. The gameplay itself is fun but the localization/writing is fantastic, there's so much charm and they get so much work out of their sprites. Its great.

Yeah, I totally agree. I hadn't adored a game as much as I did Trails in the Sky FC in a long time. The gameplay itself is fun but the localization/writing is fantastic, there's so much charm and they get so much work out of their sprites. Its great.

It is pretty outstanding how they can convey so much emotion through the sprites and the 2D portraits. Trails in the Sky's art is fantastic.

I'm finally going to begin Cold Steel next week as I'll have the full week off and an empty house (wife & daughter are going to Hawaii to visit in-laws).

How is the PS3 version compared to the Vita version?

I'm finally going to begin Cold Steel next week as I'll have the full week off and an empty house (wife & daughter are going to Hawaii to visit in-laws).

How is the PS3 version compared to the Vita version?

Better frame rate and resolution, though not by much. Both versions of the game are totally fine and it's really just up to preference on which you should play on.

Better frame rate and resolution, though not by much. Both versions of the game are totally fine and it's really just up to preference on which you should play on.

Good to hear. I actually bought the Vita Lionheart edition on day one. But I'll pick up the PS3 version this week for comfy couch & big screen gaming.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I finally finally beat the game, been bouncing between this, Bravely Second and Fire Emblem Fates. The last 2 hours was freaking amazing, except the lack of an ending. Will replay as it gets close to Trails of Cold Steel 2. Was super happy everything gets pulled into new game+, excluding fanservice stuff like outfits, etc.

I saw the big plot twist coming a mile away, but the way it unfolded was brilliant and the replay would be quite a treat.

I am not exaggerating when I said that Trails of Cold Steel is probably one of my favorite games of all time, if part two is just as good, it will cement itself up there.

Squire

Banned
I really didn't like the change up that came with Nord to start and I kinda stalled on the game. I got what they were going for, but it's a detriment to the games pace.

That said, adding that be been up until super late the past couple of nights playing and I'm hooked all over again. The back half of chapter 3 was way better than I expected it to be.

I just played the beginning of chapter 4 last night
when Elise shows up
and it feels like the story is really ramping up. I think it's pretty obvious where it's going (sort of immediately was, really), but the build to it and the way all the different players are being introduced is great. It continues to be a great character study as well.

I finally finally beat the game, been bouncing between this, Bravely Second and Fire Emblem Fates. The last 2 hours was freaking amazing, except the lack of an ending. Will replay as it gets close to Trails of Cold Steel 2. Was super happy everything gets pulled into new game+, excluding fanservice stuff like outfits, etc.

I saw the big plot twist coming a mile away, but the way it unfolded was brilliant and the replay would be quite a treat.

I am not exaggerating when I said that Trails of Cold Steel is probably one of my favorite games of all time, if part two is just as good, it will cement itself up there.

Not to get the hype up too much, but most fans that played it regard Cold Steel 2 as a better game than Cold Steel 1. I've even heard some say it's the best or one of the best in the series.

I really didn't like the change up that came with Nord to start and I kinda stalled on the game. I got what they were going for, but it's a detriment to the games pace.

That said, adding that be been up until super late the past couple of nights playing and I'm hooked all over again. The back half of chapter 3 was way better than I expected it to be.

I just played the beginning of chapter 4 last night
when Elise shows up
and it feels like the story is really ramping up. I think it's pretty obvious where it's going (sort of immediately was, really), but the build to it and the way all the different players are being introduced is great. It continues to be a great character study as well.

Chapter 4 is definitely where I'd say the story/game finally starts to really get going. It still has that moments of chill and world/character building that Trails is well known for, but the story moments start hitting harder and more frequently from that point.

Squire

Banned
Not to get the hype up too much, but most fans that played it regard Cold Steel 2 as a better game than Cold Steel 1. I've even heard some say it's the best or one of the best in the series.

Chapter 4 is definitely where I'd say the story/game finally starts to really get going. It still has that moments of chill and world/character building that Trails is well known for, but the story moments start hitting harder and more frequently from that point.

Excellent. I'm already really excited to play the sequel too, honestly.

preta

If you haven't played the Sky games I suggest you try to play them before CS2 releases.

I was also considering replaying CS1 before CS2, but you need to do NG+ on CS2 to learn some important lore from what I've heard, and I don't know if I'd have the energy to do two full playthroughs after already replaying CS1.

I can't wait for CS2. I've heard it rivals Ao as one of the best games in the series. If it's half as good as Ao was I'll be more than satisfied. (I wonder how it's going to be for those who haven't played Ao, though...)

sensui-tomo

So i just bought this title on a whim, was told i'd probably like it, is there a battle tutorial or am i just going to have to look a guide up? i did some battles but there wasnt a tut. This is my first falcom title.

So i just bought this title on a whim, was told i'd probably like it, is there a battle tutorial or am i just going to have to look a guide up? i did some battles but there wasnt a tut. This is my first falcom title.

The prologue is an in-medias-res kind of thing where you're just shoved in to goof around with the system. There would be tutorials after Chapter One properly begins.

The game slowly feeds you information along with story progression. The prologue is their way of starting the game in media res to sort of mitigate the usual slow start of these titles by showing exciting things to come.

Edit: what scrooge said lol

If you have any questions I'm sure someone here will be willing to answer. I know I will if I'm around

So I just beat Chapter 5 and...

That has got to be the most "LOL JK" moment of a video game I've ever seen. You start the game off in medias res at this part, show the cannons firing, then build up to that moment by saying just how powerful and dangerous the railway guns are in Chapter 3, then when I finally get to that moment over 40 hours in the game, I'm told that it was a blank shell and nothing happened after that cliffhanger of an opening?

Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with how that went down.
Not that I was rooting for Code Geass levels of wanton death and destruction, but that was a tad anti-climatic! I mean, one of the major villains gets killed off screen too as a footnote! I was kind of expecting Gideon to have a bit more of a dramatic death scene considering that big farewell speech he gave earlier.

All in all though, I'm still very much enjoying this game. It's been a while since I was really into a JRPG like this. I'm looking forward to how the last two chapters (as I hear there's only seven in this game) handle the aftermath of the incident in Chapter 5

Bladenic

So I just beat Chapter 5 and...

That has got to be the most "LOL JK" moment of a video game I've ever seen. You start the game off in medias res at this part, show the cannons firing, then build up to that moment by saying just how powerful and dangerous the railway guns are in Chapter 3, then when I finally get to that moment over 40 hours in the game, I'm told that it was a blank shell and nothing happened after that cliffhanger of an opening?

Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with how that went down.
Not that I was rooting for Code Geass levels of wanton death and destruction, but that was a tad anti-climatic! I mean, one of the major villains gets killed off screen too as a footnote! I was kind of expecting Gideon to have a bit more of a dramatic death scene considering that big farewell speech he gave earlier.

All in all though, I'm still very much enjoying this game. It's been a while since I was really into a JRPG like this. I'm looking forward to how the last two chapters (as I hear there's only seven in this game) handle the aftermath of the incident in Chapter 5

I'm sure everyone felt the exact same way.

Top Bottom