• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

So I just beat Chapter 5 and...

That has got to be the most "LOL JK" moment of a video game I've ever seen. You start the game off in medias res at this part, show the cannons firing, then build up to that moment by saying just how powerful and dangerous the railway guns are in Chapter 3, then when I finally get to that moment over 40 hours in the game, I'm told that it was a blank shell and nothing happened after that cliffhanger of an opening?

Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with how that went down.
Not that I was rooting for Code Geass levels of wanton death and destruction, but that was a tad anti-climatic! I mean, one of the major villains gets killed off screen too as a footnote! I was kind of expecting Gideon to have a bit more of a dramatic death scene considering that big farewell speech he gave earlier.

I get what you are saying.
I completely expected that everything would be fine in the end but - with all that build-up - "it's a blank shell!" feels like a special kind of a cop-out, even if it's derived from reality. Heck, I'd take some nonsense like the Radiant Blademaster himself riding a dragon, swooping down and cutting the bullet in two over that.

And about that particular villain...
I assume that Gideon's death was expounded more in Trails to Azure, which is set in Crossbell around the same time.

preta

So I just beat Chapter 5 and...

That has got to be the most "LOL JK" moment of a video game I've ever seen. You start the game off in medias res at this part, show the cannons firing, then build up to that moment by saying just how powerful and dangerous the railway guns are in Chapter 3, then when I finally get to that moment over 40 hours in the game, I'm told that it was a blank shell and nothing happened after that cliffhanger of an opening?

Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with how that went down.
Not that I was rooting for Code Geass levels of wanton death and destruction, but that was a tad anti-climatic! I mean, one of the major villains gets killed off screen too as a footnote! I was kind of expecting Gideon to have a bit more of a dramatic death scene considering that big farewell speech he gave earlier.

All in all though, I'm still very much enjoying this game. It's been a while since I was really into a JRPG like this. I'm looking forward to how the last two chapters (as I hear there's only seven in this game) handle the aftermath of the incident in Chapter 5

Remember that although you can play this game first, Falcom still originally created it with the expectation that you would play the Crossbell games (Zero and Ao/Azure) first. Obviously that's not working out for the English versions.

For #1:
You know from Ao that the guns aren't actually going to go off, you just don't know how or why. Personally, I was freaking out over something else in those scenes that had nothing to do with the guns, which would go completely over the head of anyone who hasn't played Ao.

For #2:
It's not offscreen in Ao... maybe. Or maybe not.

aravuus

Yeah, for someone who's only played the English translated games, chapter 5 was absolutely hilarious. Not sure I would've liked the scene even if I did know
they were duds from the beginning
, though. It just didn't feel like a very well executed "cliff hanger".

I finally finally beat the game, been bouncing between this, Bravely Second and Fire Emblem Fates. The last 2 hours was freaking amazing, except the lack of an ending. Will replay as it gets close to Trails of Cold Steel 2. Was super happy everything gets pulled into new game+, excluding fanservice stuff like outfits, etc.

I saw the big plot twist coming a mile away, but the way it unfolded was brilliant and the replay would be quite a treat.

I am not exaggerating when I said that Trails of Cold Steel is probably one of my favorite games of all time, if part two is just as good, it will cement itself up there.

Isn't CS2 out in just months? If I were you, I'd start my replay right away to make sure I actually managed to finish it before CS2 comes out lol.

Maybe I wouldn't have to talk to every NPC on a replay, though. That definitely stretches out a playthrough.

Gu4n

There's more to the Chapter 5 scene, but I advise not to look until you finished the game:
Even without resorting to Ao, just comparing the actual scene with the one in the Prologue, you notice a number of not-so subtle difference. Here's a comparison: http://imgur.com/a/aq0lr
_

Continuing, actual Cold Steel endgame spoilers:
Do the math. Crow (and Millium) is not among Class VII in the scene where ILF is preparing the cannons to fire at Crossbell, which Class VII could stop just in time with just S and V. Imagine C would've been among them.

Shin-chan

Wow I didn't know that the Crossbell games were set during the same time period as this. I guess that colours a lot of the late game story developments of CS and I wonder how it will relate to CS2 and even 3.

I hope we get those games in English one day. Or that my Japanese is eventually good enough that I can buy them there. It will be cool to see how CS colours the stories of those games like how they change your impression of stuff in CS.

Gu4n

Wow I didn't know that the Crossbell games were set during the same time period as this. I guess that colours a lot of the late game story developments of CS and I wonder how it will relate to CS2 and even 3.

I hope we get those games in English one day. Or that my Japanese is eventually good enough that I can buy them there. It will be cool to see how CS colours the stories of those games like how they change your impression of stuff in CS.
Like Cold Steel, the two Crossbell games take place in S.1204: Zero takes up the first half of the year, Ao the second half (minus a summer break, which is told through one of the drama CDs). While they don't have Cold Steel's neat calendar system, it's easy to map each chapter of the Crossbell games onto a month.

I just played the beginning of chapter 4 last night
when Elise shows up
and it feels like the story is really ramping up.

She really is that good as a character!

The "assignments" are really starting to get on my nerves. I'm in Nord Highlands right now. Does it get any better?

If you're not digging them now future ones will do little to change your mind. Though the Nord Highlands ones tended to be the most laborious and drawn out due to the landscape itself, so if that's what's currently making you feel fatigued it gets better.

The main issue with such a large location like Nord is you're only motivated to explore it based on goals or tasks the game gives you, not to satiate your actual wish to explore the world, so it quickly becomes tiresome. If you *do* try to explore the place naturally you tend to run into invisible walls/gates as the game tries to direct you to your goals, and I don't think that kind of task-driven gameplay suits such a large location - it's a bit superficial in that respect.

The "assignments" are really starting to get on my nerves. I'm in Nord Highlands right now. Does it get any better?

Yeah, they get better.

Honestly, though, the assignments were my favourite part of the game. I really loved the sense of freedom Nord gave me after the earlier ones.

On NG+ I hated the place, though.

aravuus

The Highlands chapter is by far the most boring one in the game, or at the very least has the most boring field assignment. So yeah, they absolutely get better.

Elven_Star

Thanks guys. It would be a shame to give up on this game now. It's the first one I really like in a long time.

There's this one assignment in particular which almost made me give up the game. It's called "Connecting Hearts." You have to go across the Nord Highlands several times to ask some guy about his favorite color and then bring back the answer... I would love to "connect" my foot to the butt of the idiot who designed this quest.

kubricks

The Highlands chapter is by far the most boring one in the game, or at the very least has the most boring field assignment. So yeah, they absolutely get better.

Am I the only one to enjoy the Nord Highlands Chapter? ;_;
It's so relaxing lol.

Gu4n

Too relaxing for me lol. Don't think there was a single NPC I cared about, either.

Seems like a love it or hate it sort of a thing, actually.
I love Gaius' family (which is half the NPCs there, hah!). What I personally loved most about the Nord Highlands is its history: the stone circle reminded me of the Zeiss one in Liberl, the ancient quarry and its active higher elementals, and the view on and road leading into Calvard.

Eylos

Banned

There is a group making a fan translation of the first zero, hopefully they will release this december

DragonElm

Neo Member
I just started Chapter 5. The NPC detail is astounding (at least for a newcomer to JRPGs like me). I like the little issues kids have in each town, the poor butler searching for his lady, the student planning to become a nun, the guy obsessed with the local radio star, the bickering couple in Trista, the can't-stay-apart-from-each-other couple, the two traveling tourist buddies, and anyone who mentions someone in another town and they actually show up in that town.

I really want to play Trails in the Sky now, but the first chapter is not on my PS Store (EU region) and I'm not sure I can get it working on my Mac through Steam and wineskin.

Can't wait to finish and start a second play through.

Gu4n

I really want to play Trails in the Sky now, but the first chapter is not on my PS Store (EU region) and I'm not sure I can get it working on my Mac through Steam and wineskin.
Hmm. I contacted the publisher (Ghostlight) about it and they're looking into it.

Hobbun

This isn’t specifically associated with Cold Steel, but it is Legends of Heroes related, so going to post my question here, as well:

Over the weekend, I’ve been playing a lot of Trails in the Sky: FC and really enjoying it now. It’s taken me months to get past the prologue and most of the 1st chapter, but about when I got up to the point of
pursuing the Sky Bandits towards end of chapter 1, it’s really picked up
and I don’t want to put it down now.

I’ve gotten up to the point where I am now about to
head off to the Mercia Orphanage after the fire.

The only issue I’ve had with the game is a technical one. Ever since I’ve begun playing it on my Vita (began my save(s) on my PSP), an Error Code has popped up several times now. I believe the Error Code is a “1-03”. But it only gives me the option to hit ‘Ok’ and then it crashes out of the game.

So I’ve been saving very often now. It is no specific action that seems to trigger it, as the error code has happened while entering combat, going into a building or during talking during a lengthy cutscene. I believe the error has popped up four times now, so it doesn’t happen ‘a lot’, maybe once 4-5 hours or so, but enough to be annoying.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or do you know what could be causing it?

If anyone can give any input on this, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Saphirax

This isn’t specifically associated with Cold Steel, but it is Legends of Heroes related, so going to post my question here, as well:

If anyone can give any input on this, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you try deleting and redownloading your game? Also, it could be your memory card that's dying. Does the same error crop up while playing other games?

Hobbun

Did you try deleting and redownloading your game? Also, it could be your memory card that's dying. Does the same error crop up while playing other games?

I haven’t had a Vita terribly long, so haven’t actually played any other games on it yet. And no, haven’t tried deleting and redownloading yet.

Before I had tried anything like that, I was just trying get input from anyone who may have experienced this error code as well and if they were able to nail down what the exact issue is.

I hope it’s not the memory card, as it wasn’t a cheap one. But I will try deleting and redownloading the game for now. Will that delete my saves, as well?

Saphirax

I haven’t had a Vita terribly long, so haven’t actually played any other games on it yet. And no, haven’t tried deleting and redownloading yet.

Before I had tried anything like that, I was just trying get input from anyone who may have experienced this error code as well and if they were able to nail down what the exact issue is.

I hope it’s not the memory card, as it wasn’t a cheap one. But I will try deleting and redownloading the game for now. Will that delete my saves, as well?

Since it's a psp game your saves should be safe. If it was a Vita game you'd either need ps+ to upload your saves, or to use content manager to transfer your saves to a pc.

I actually can't find anything about the error code you got :/.

Hobbun

Since it's a psp game your saves should be safe. If it was a Vita game you'd either need ps+ to upload your saves, or to use content manager to transfer your saves to a pc.

I actually can't find anything about the error code you got :/.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did, do a search on the error code number. Nothing had come up.

Thanks for your help.

Saphirax

Actually, you would still need to back up your save using Content Manager. If you delete it, it's gone.

It's a psp game. If he deletes the game, he's not deleting the save file as well since it's not tied to the game bubble like the vita games are.

Cornbread78

uuggh, WTF. This boss monster on the 2nd field study day is pure bull$hit. I've had him under 3,000 hit point three times now and he just heals himself to be full again everytime. so stupid to waste so much time on this fight.

EDIT:

FINALLY!

uuggh

Eylos

Banned
uuggh, WTF. This boss monster on the 2nd field study day is pure bull$hit. I've had him under 3,000 hit point three times now and he just heals himself to be full again everytime. so stupid to waste so much time on this fight.

EDIT:

FINALLY!

uuggh

You are playing on hard or nightmare?

pbayne

Lol whoever translated some of Crow's lines must have just said "fuck it, keep it as lewd as possible."

And what's with these little comments in the margins? 'Optimal bounce vectors?' 'Show dem titties?' Are you serious?

Is there any chance anyone thinks Alis'a mother was somewhat modeled after Meryl Streep/Anna Wintour like character from the Devil Wears Prada? Definitely has that ultra career driven "dragon lady" persona about her.

Squire

Banned
Made some decent progress into chapter 4. I'm doing the field study.
The governor just called about the robbery.
The drama continues to be good.

Laura/Fie stuff:

The reasoning behind all of that turned out to be significantly more interesting than I predicted it would! I figured a jaegar corps had killed a friend or relative of Laura's, but it seems the whole conflict was more on the ideological side. That fits better with the games theme of reconciling perspectives and backgrounds. I do think they could've done more to build this up though. As in, more than so many "..." scenes. With Machias and Jusis you got just enough to be able to tell how they feel and what's eating at them without a big info dump, but Laura/Fie is such a silent war. I can see why people wouldn't like it. You could argue it simply doesn't give the player enough clues to really care.

Machias:

This was really well-written. He explains his backstory and motivations very clearly. I figured his cousin died once he started talking, but that it was suicide was a moment where the game got darker than I figured it was willing to.

Megauap

I'm on chapter 4 too. I've been following a guide to complete all quests, open all chests, get all the books, etc.

I'm currently on the first day of the field study and already liking this city a lot more than the Nord Highlands.

My only regret is that I missed buying the imperial chronicle number 2 and it seems I won't find it in the pawn shop.
Oh and also buying this game when it released in Europe and not playing it until now...
It's soooooo good!

pbayne

Got to the last chapter and some big questions here/wait what type stuff.

I can't believe how they rush through some pretty big stuff that happens in the aftermath of what happens in Roer. Like Angie getting expelled(shit, shit, damn) or visiting Ymir. But the fact that Rean says "oh that's a story for another time" makes me think they include it in a sequel? but i can't really see why they would do that. Oh and seeing Sharon actually fighting was awesome, fucking anime butlers/maids love using wires for weapons. Also can't believe Claire's weapon is just a gun, i dunno i expected something more elaborate.

Anyways gonna pull some all nighters to get this finished up. Jesus can't believe ive been playing this game on-off for almost 7 months now. I guess its well timed though since 2 isn't far away now.

Gu4n

Got to the last chapter and some big questions here/wait what type stuff.

I can't believe how they rush through some pretty big stuff that happens in the aftermath of what happens in Roer. Like Angie getting expelled(shit, shit, damn) or visiting Ymir. But the fact that Rean says "oh that's a story for another time" makes me think they include it in a sequel? but i can't really see why they would do that.

Anyways gonna pull some all nighters to get this finished up. Jesus can't believe ive been playing this game on-off for almost 7 months now. I guess its well timed though since 2 isn't far away now.
The spoilered bit is scrapped content due to time constraints. It was part of the drama CD that came with the Japanese limited edition of the game. Here is a translated transcription of the bit the game skips over.

Cornbread78

i played in normal and the game was very easy, my advice would be gamefaqs for the best strategy to hard bosses, and a little of grinding

It wouldn't have been half bad, if it wasn't for the heal bonusws it kept receiving when on it's death bed..

Thoraxes

It wouldn't have been half bad, if it wasn't for the heal bonusws it kept receiving when on it's death bed..

Remember there are actions you can take to circumvent that.

Like spellcasting with different delay lengths depending on potency. Pick something with the correct amount of delay to move one of your character's turns into that bonus slot instead.
Or slide in an S-craft before the turn to push it one more down. But don't do the S-craft during the S-craft user's turn, activate it during another teammate's turn so you can get the subsequent turn slot used up to push the list down one. They have the turns and bonuses listed out like that for a reason.

Shahed

The spoilered bit is scrapped content due to time constraints. It was part of the drama CD that came with the Japanese limited edition of the game. Here is a translated transcription of the bit the game skips over.
Thanka for this I've been reading it for a while. Nice to have some gaps filled in.

And I'm so glad I played this game in English. I can only imagine the amount of Nii-Sama's I'd hear out of Elise's mouth if I played in Japanese. It's getting me annoyed just thinking about it. I swear I can't stand Elise or her character archtype.

Squire

Banned
Sold a bunch of items for cooking to get some more money to bring equipment up to par. That's OK, right? I'm not cooking at all. No offense to Falcom, I typically ignore systems like that.

Korigama

Sold a bunch of items for cooking to get some more money to bring equipment up to par. That's OK, right? I'm not cooking at all. No offense to Falcom, I typically ignore systems like that.
Building up Sepith Mass then selling that off is more profitable in my experience. Also, special and unique dishes made from the recipes tend to be worth more money than the ingredients by themselves, IIRC (there are also two NPCs who reward you for bringing them peculiar dishes and unique dishes respectively).

You don't have to, but there's some insanely good stuff you can make from cooking. And when you combine it with the Master Quartz that gives items an aoe range (so throwing one item will affect everyone close to you), it's pretty much needed to have an easier time with the later bosses in nightmare difficulty.

I'd say that you really don't need to always have your equipment up to par, since your teammates equipment will continually update with the newer stuff after a field study. I'd honestly just recommend getting a weapon for everyone and trying to keep just Rean's stuff up to par if you're on normal.

Made some decent progress into chapter 4. I'm doing the field study.
The governor just called about the robbery.
The drama continues to be good.

Laura/Fie stuff:

The reasoning behind all of that turned out to be significantly more interesting than I predicted it would! I figured a jaegar corps had killed a friend or relative of Laura's, but it seems the whole conflict was more on the ideological side. That fits better with the games theme of reconciling perspectives and backgrounds. I do think they could've done more to build this up though. As in, more than so many "..." scenes. With Machias and Jusis you got just enough to be able to tell how they feel and what's eating at them without a big info dump, but Laura/Fie is such a silent war. I can see why people wouldn't like it. You could argue it simply doesn't give the player enough clues to really care.

Machias:

This was really well-written. He explains his backstory and motivations very clearly. I figured his cousin died once he started talking, but that it was suicide was a moment where the game got darker than I figured it was willing to.

The Laura/Fie
drama I thought was pretty well done. Machias/Jusis are a lot more confrontational and blunt with how they speak, so them verbally insulting each other any chance they got was reflective of their personalities, while that kind of confrontation wouldn't make sense for Laura/Fie. They both genuinely want to get along and understand how much of a burdern Machias/Jusis were when they were arguing and didn't want to cause trouble, but still couldn't get over their feelings, so the conversation dipping into a bunch of "..." made a ton of sense.

Eylos

Banned
About Rean and his sister

I understand that they are not blood related, but they are brothers and is incest, ok it was commom for nobles in the past, but it's very strange that even Rean's mother want that he marry his sister (it's in the cd drama), and everybody think it's normal that his sister likes him

Xeteh

Final chapter of my 3rd playthrough because I'm a special person who doesn't read trophies and has to do a whole other playthrough to finish things that could have been done last time.

If I missed a chest I will riot.

Top Bottom