• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Thoraxes

Watched the stream they showed the very beginning of the prologue as well as a tiny bit of the
courageous
. They also answered a lot of questions in regards to the CS2 release date they said they wouldn't even give the month until they were sure they could meet it and they talked about the Keseki 'curse' as they called it (from SC XD) which is why they don't want to jinx it. They did confirm any date listed for CS2 right now is just a placeholder.

If anyone is interested in watching it they said they would put it up on youtube although there are massive spoilers if you haven't finished CS1 yet.

I need CS2 in my veins.
I'm glad they talked about the date being a placeholder. I know way too many people that were assuming the Amazon placeholder date was real.

I'm glad they talked about the date being a placeholder. I know way too many people that were assuming the Amazon placeholder date was real.

I'd still say the current date is going to be about it, because god help it if it releases anytime between the middle of September and end of October.

I'd still say the current date is going to be about it, because god help it if it releases anytime between the middle of September and end of October.

i don't want to think about it !

finally saw everything .. the game look awesome ..i really can't wait .i'd even play the game in that condition ifit could be patched :)

Bladenic

Watched a bit of the stream. Loving the UI alterations and the animations, even for Rean's run, look way better. Can't wait! Need to make sure I Platinum the first game before the sequel comes out.

StereoVsn

Yeah, they really got to release either before FFXV or in December. As it is, a sequel to a game that probably didn't sell too well is not going to do great but the more they delay this release, the worse things will get.

Not sure FF15 and this game are competing for the same audience as much as you'd think

Yar, to begin with, it's a direct sequel to Trails of Cold Steel. Its main audience is primarily those who has actually played that game and liked it. And if you've actually played that game and liked it, why wouldn't you buy the sequel immediately, considering how it ended?

Yeah, they really got to release either before FFXV or in December. As it is, a sequel to a game that probably didn't sell too well is not going to do great but the more they delay this release, the worse things will get.

I wouldn't say the first one "didn't sell too well" when we have no idea how much it did other than them saying the series as a whole had done 350k at the time of the announcement for 3rd.

I wasn't trying to make an assessment of sales.

I just think that there isn't as much overlap between the two titles as you'd probably think.

and that people always over analyze the release dates of these games.

I don't want TrailsCS to get an overlap, but not because of sales, but because of media coverage.

Trails games practically get little to no coverage to begin with, and releasing it close to other big JRPGs will reduce its coverage even further.

As this is a direct sequel, there is very little need for media or marketing. If you beat the first one it's on your radar, if not then not and there's no point in marketing it to you. Just keeping people aware that it exists with little streams like they just did is more than enough.

What they need to do is get the first one into as many hands as possible asap with a good sale.

Erheller

Didn't FC get a sales boost from SC releasing, though? Visibility might not improve CS2's sales too much, but it may boost CS1's (and hell, maybe even FC's) sales.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As this is a direct sequel, there is very little need for media or marketing. If you beat the first one it's on your radar, if not then not and there's no point in marketing it to you. Just keeping people aware that it exists with little streams like they just did is more than enough.

What they need to do is get the first one into as many hands as possible asap with a good sale.
This isn't necessarily true. The whole localization fiasco behind SC is what got me interested in the series, and that was basically marketing for the second game. Market a sequel and you get people interested in the first game.

Didn't FC get a sales boost from SC releasing, though? Visibility might not improve CS2's sales too much, but it may boost CS1's (and hell, maybe even FC's) sales.

I dunno, SC's sales were incredible disappointing, I hope it gets a good boost with the current steam sale.
I'm worried for CS2, if even on steam so few people came back for the sequel, how will a PS3/Vita only game do?

I'm still in chapter 3 sigh, not enough time.

I dunno, SC's sales were incredible disappointing, I hope it gets a good boost with the current steam sale.
I'm worried for CS2, if even on steam so few people came back for the sequel, how will a PS3/Vita only game do?

I'm not really sure I'd say "so few people came back" when looking at the people who actually finished FC, almost the same percent went on to buy SC. The problem was primarily such a low percent even did anything with FC. Not even 40% of the people who bought it finished the prologue, while around 11.5% managed to finish the game. It's hard to sell people on a direct sequel when so many aren't even interested in playing the first game they bought.

If anything I'd say CS2 will show better numbers than SC, mainly due to CS1 being a notable jrpg on Vita, when you have so many "decent" releases and not enough "good or great" ones. People took notice of CS1 because it stood out among almost everything else, something that can't be said about the latest Neptunia releases or yet another drpg. Maybe standing out will actually lead to more people actually finishing it and moving on to the next entry.

jbluzb

Trails is really time consuming to play. You need to dedication to play this game in which a lot of gamers have not.

Only XSEED knows if Trails sales are great/fine/okay/terrible. Considering they are still here and we continue to get more Trails games, I think it's doing well enough.

Only XSEED knows if Trails sales are great/fine/okay/terrible. Considering they are still here and we continue to get more Trails games, I think it's doing well enough.

Well they don't need every game to sell hundreds of thousands to break even, but you can't help but feel that SC probably sold below expectations, but at least gave us an insight into how direct follow-ups to titles which have a heavier emphasis on continuity (unlike, say, FFXIII-2) and finishing the previous game work out, more-so given the environment has changed and many people were buying FC on sale, and we now have the data to predict sales based on player progress on the previous games.

Well they don't need every game to sell hundreds of thousands to break even, but you can't help but feel that SC probably sold below expectations, but at least gave us an insight into how direct follow-ups to titles which have a heavier emphasis on continuity (unlike, say, FFXIII-2) and finishing the previous game work out, more-so given the environment has changed and many people were buying FC on sale, and we now have the data to predict sales based on player progress on the previous games.

If SC sold below expectations then XSEED had too high expectations. The sales numbers and stats on how many people finished the game were there before, so that's your potential audience, which they reached very well. No one will buy SC that hasn't finished FC.

Cornbread78

I just finished the first field study and I have to say that this game is really good! The OST is also great and I love how it changes during the course of battle. Looking forward into digging into the next chapter!

I'm not really sure I'd say "so few people came back" when looking at the people who actually finished FC, almost the same percent went on to buy SC. The problem was primarily such a low percent even did anything with FC. Not even 40% of the people who bought it finished the prologue, while around 11.5% managed to finish the game. It's hard to sell people on a direct sequel when so many aren't even interested in playing the first game they bought.

That doesn't make any sense at all. They bought the first game but not the second, so they didn't come back. Period.
You're saying that the reason for the low sales is that only the people who liked FC enough to finish it bought SC. Well, captainobvious.jpg. The issue is precisely that the number of people who did that is too low.
Maybe it's the slow start? Maybe it's too long? Cold Steel is exactly the same and these things inevitably discourage a lot of people from finishing these games, so sales for the sequels suffer, though I expect a higher completion rate for CS because there really isn't that much to play on PS3 and Vita while getting distracted by other games on steam is the easiest thing in the world, since everybody builds up huge libraries in the blink of an eye thanks to sales, humble bundles and a constant stream of shiny new releases.

That doesn't make any sense at all. They bought the first game but not the second, so they didn't come back. Period.
You're saying that the reason for the low sales is that only the people who liked FC enough to finish it bought SC. Well, captainobvious.jpg. The issue is precisely that the number of people who did that is too low.
Maybe it's the slow start? Maybe it's too long? Cold Steel is exactly the same and these things inevitably discourage a lot of people from finishing these games, so sales for the sequels suffer, though I expect a higher completion rate for CS because there really isn't that much to play on PS3 and Vita while getting distracted by other games on steam is the easiest thing in the world, since everybody builds up huge libraries in the blink of an eye thanks to sales, humble bundles and a constant stream of shiny new releases.

That plus a lot of Persona fans needed their high school fix while waiting for P5 to finally come out.

After a long while finally getting round to this. Its such an interesting world!

Also got TitS FC on PC but would prefer it on the go but cant find the PsP release on EU PsN :(

Damn Brexit

preta

After a long while finally getting round to this. Its such an interesting world!

Also got TitS FC on PC but would prefer it on the go but cant find the PsP release on EU PsN :(

Damn Brexit

If you're just getting started, I would strongly, strongly suggest you go back and play FC and SC first. The games in this series are very much connected story-wise, and some parts of CS will have less impact if you have not played those games, or will spoil certain elements of their story.

pbayne

Got to chapter 6
and the festival preparations. Is it just me or does the game sort of push Towa and Rean as the kind of quasi cannon couple. I mean i never expected any actual relationships between characters and if anything Alisa seemed to be the default choice at the start but as the games goes on Rean and Towa being together makes a lot more sense than anyone else. Like his friendship with her feels a lot more genuine than he has with most of Class 7.

Lol Towa's outfit for that concert...wtf? I can't believe this game only takes place a few years after Sky...they feel worlds apart at times.
P.S Crow's "I got this shit on lockdown" line had me rolling. Whoever localized that line deserves a medal.

Meffer

Trails is really time consuming to play. You need to dedication to play this game in which a lot of gamers have not.
My game time at the end was around 80 hours. It took a few months to get thru.
It was a great experience though, it's one of my games of the year.

Soriku

I think for CS2 the most important thing is reviews and word of mouth. Based on impressions in Japan and how CS1 ended...CS2 is probably going to be an epic classic. One of which I personally haven't played in quite some time. So hopefully based on those two factors, and CS2 being 3D and a relatively recent release even in Japan, it can turn some heads and get some sales going for both CS1 and CS2 (sometimes you see people picking up both the first game and a sequel at the same time). Not necessarily at first, but over time too.

Got to chapter 6 and the festival preparations. Is it just me or does the game sort of push Towa and Rean as the kind of quasi cannon couple. I mean i never expected any actual relationships between characters and if anything Alisa seemed to be the default choice at the start but as the games goes on Rean and Towa being together makes a lot more sense than anyone else. Like his friendship with her feels a lot more genuine than he has with most of Class 7.

Lol Towa's outfit for that concert...wtf? I can't believe this game only takes place a few years after Sky...they feel worlds apart at times.

P.S Crow's "I got this shit on lockdown" line had me rolling. Whoever localized that line deserves a medal.

Right!?

And you guys called me crazy.

and yeah the
concert
is my least favorite part of the game. Mostly because of how it kind of ignores some of the setting's history to introduce modern technology in order for it to happen. I had the same feeling you did when seeing that part. Not only because of
Towa's
outfit, but because they were able to pull up a clip of it on youtube in a world that is just beginning to establish public radio as a form of entertainment.

Got to chapter 6
and the festival preparations. Is it just me or does the game sort of push Towa and Rean as the kind of quasi cannon couple. I mean i never expected any actual relationships between characters and if anything Alisa seemed to be the default choice at the start but as the games goes on Rean and Towa being together makes a lot more sense than anyone else. Like his friendship with her feels a lot more genuine than he has with most of Class 7.

Bear in my that Towa outflit
was designed by crow, he went all out on it , not to mention there was someone that probably influenced the design a lol
. I won't believe that angelica didn't influence this design in one way or another .

I think that towa & rean
relationship was handled that way because she is one of teh candidates for the dance but isn't nearly as much with the group. so they pushed a little more to compensate .. in the end it's not any serious kind of shipping 2 characters together, more a way to strike some balance between towa and the rest of the cast.

Shin-chan

With the game on sale on the euro psn does anyone recommend double dipping on the other platform? I have it on vita but don't mind buying the PS3 version to support the series if it's worthwhile

Bear in my that Towa outflit
was designed by crow, he went all out on it , not to mention there was someone that probably influenced the design a lol
. I won't believe that angelica didn't influence this design in one way or another .

I think that towa & rean
relationship was handled that way because she is one of teh candidates for the dance but isn't nearly as much with the group. so they pushed a little more to compensate .. in the end it's not any serious kind of shipping 2 characters together, more a way to strike some balance between towa and the rest of the cast.

But why Towa? Why is she singled out over every other NPC female in the game outside of Class 7?

I'll tell you why. Because it's the canon route.

Gu4n

With the game on sale on the euro psn does anyone recommend double dipping on the other platform? I have it on vita but don't mind buying the PS3 version to support the series if it's worthwhile
We can't judge for you whether it's worth your money. Every fan (and XSEED) would be grateful if you did, though.

I did. Only game I've ever used crossplay for. Got the LE on both platforms.

Will be doing the same for the sequel to complete both sets

I primarily played on Vita though

Slashlen

and yeah the
concert
is my least favorite part of the game. Mostly because of how it kind of ignores some of the setting's history to introduce modern technology in order for it to happen. I had the same feeling you did when seeing that part. Not only because of
Towa's
outfit, but because they were able to pull up a clip of it on youtube in a world that is just beginning to establish public radio as a form of entertainment.

The thing that bothered me about it the most was it felt like
the third song should have been The Whereabouts of Light. It felt like they were specifically hinting at that song with Crow saying it was something everyone knew, and Misty name dropping it during one of the radio broadcasts. It's also one of the few(maybe the only?) songs in the soundtrack that actually exists in that world. Instead we get I Swear which isn't terrible, but Whereabouts of Light would have been a much better fit there.

Shin-chan

We can't judge for you whether it's worth your money. Every fan (and XSEED) would be grateful if you did, though.
The series has become my new favourite. 2016 has been the year of Trails for me, and Cold Steel is such a well made game. It's embarrassing that other titles with greater budgets can't be as robust and well made really.

We need an Ys style spin off starring Cassius Bright.

Gu4n

Not sure how exactly the licensing works, but most of the money from the EU release will go to NISA :p
Every euro, pound, krone, złoty, franc and what else that goes toward the Crossbell Foundation is welcome. (By the way, I didn't recognise you at first without your avatar!)

The series has become my new favourite. 2016 has been the year of Trails for me, and Cold Steel is such a well made game. It's embarrassing that other titles with greater budgets can't be as robust and well made really.

We need an Ys style spin off starring Cassius Bright.
I've said this a couple of times before, but the first Cold Steel is my least favourite game in the series whereas its sequel ranks among my three favourites. It has its flaws, sure, but I find it hard to imagine a game like Final Fantasy XV will manage to impress me as much as Cold Steel II did.

Also, Falcom should hire you for that idea.

Shin-chan

Every euro, pound, krone, złoty, franc and what else that goes toward the Crossbell Foundation is welcome. (By the way, I didn't recognise you at first without your avatar!)

I've said this a couple of times before, but the first Cold Steel is my least favourite game in the series whereas its sequel ranks among my three favourites. It has its flaws, sure, but I find it hard to imagine a game like Final Fantasy XV will manage to impress me as much as Cold Steel II did.

Also, Falcom should hire you for that idea.
I'm on the final chapter and I've enjoyed CS a lot more than the first chapter of Trails in the Sky which I actually found quite boring and with an uninteresting ost. But then SC blew me away. Everything was better, especially the music.

I think the series has pacing issues across the board but the payoff is massively worth it. I get that there's a big focus on long term character development and world building and it's necessary but it's something I can see some not being able to get past.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the bigger picture of Erebonia. I also hope we get to see Rean become a divine blade.

Seriously though, we really need a divine blade spin off.

Top Bottom