• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

omgfloofy

Banned
the shift to the ARCUS orbment system made it too simple;

This was my primary complaint with CS. It's probably my least favorite of the Kiseki series. Simply because I don't like its orbment system as much. I felt like they actually neutered the viability of arts users, when compared to the other Kiseki games.

CS2 manages to fix that a bit with some better quartz, thankfully.

Gaius could pretty much be absorbed into Rean and not change the game very much. Or vice versa.

I actually think that Gaius was introduced early for something else planned for him in the future.

Lets move forward Falcom

Not entirely related, but I'm believing Kondo's promise that Sen III is going to look much better. Look at Ys VIII for your proof. Kondo's already said that the character models have even been remade.

I keep hearing this as well. Can somebody comment on what made the Crossbell Saga so great?

My personal belief is the cast. You get a small cast of four, immediately off the bat, and get to know them, and know how they work and integrate with everything else that is the giant clusterfuck called Crossbell. Then you throw in a few side characters, and add them in as duology goes on, with those four characters being the 'core.'

DMiz

Not entirely related, but I'm believing Kondo's promise that Sen III is going to look much better. Look at Ys VIII for your proof. Kondo's already said that the character models have even been remade.

I remember hearing/reading this, as well. I don't believe we've yet seen any screenshots, though, right? YS VIII does look a lot better, but there's still (obviously) room for growth. Oh, well. Small steps.

My personal belief is the cast. You get a small cast of four, immediately off the bat, and get to know them, and know how they work and integrate with everything else that is the giant clusterfuck called Crossbell. Then you throw in a few side characters, and add them in as duology goes on, with those four characters being the 'core.'

Ah, OK. I've only read scant things about Crossbell; the setting certainly sounds interesting, but to know that the characterization is strong is also a plus. Hopefully I'll have a chance to play it in some capacity in the near future...

vladisaac

I don't want to be the guy to sour the excitement for CS2, but I would advise you to remain cautiously optimistic for everything mentioned in this thread (such as Rean's development which was mentionned recently)

I keep hearing this as well. Can somebody comment on what made the Crossbell Saga so great?

Just my opinion on this matter: A huge improvement of the formula after the Sky trilogy and the most well-done games of the series.
The pacing of the games was far better than the rest of the series. The characters were great (a bit less memorable than the Sky cast though) and most of them were developed more efficiently throughout the 2 games since there were fewer main characters.
The setting of Crossbell was cool and fresh.
Zero may be a FC/CS-like, but it gave a proper closure to its own story arc.
Ao showed how Falcom managed to master the Kiseki-formula.
On the music department, Zero's musics are a bit of a letdown but Ao has a remarkable soundtrack.

I actually think that Gaius was introduced early for something else planned for him in the future.'

I understand what you're implying, but it will still be hard to be invested in this character story arc.

omgfloofy

Banned
I remember hearing/reading this, as well. I don't believe we've yet seen any screenshots, though, right? YS VIII does look a lot better, but there's still (obviously) room for growth. Oh, well. Small steps.

We're probably not going to see anything for Sen III until the investors meeting in December. Period. Kondo's basically just bee saying teasing comments in interviews, and will probably keep at that for awhile until it's time to reveal it to the public.

But investors have the right to see it first.

I understand what you're implying, but it will still be hard to be invested in this character story arc.

To be fair, if it's going to be the story arc I think it will be with him, it's something I've been dying to see happen on screen for awhile now. So we may have to agree to disagree on the potential for excitement. xD

Korigama

Finished my first playthrough, with my ending
being with Fie
. Will have a look at the CS II site now, and get back to Nightmare NG+ after reading up on what I've missed and how to get it.

Eylos

Banned
We're probably not going to see anything for Sen III until the investors meeting in December. Period. Kondo's basically just bee saying teasing comments in interviews, and will probably keep at that for awhile until it's time to reveal it to the public.

But investors have the right to see it first.

To be fair, if it's going to be the story arc I think it will be with him, it's something I've been dying to see happen on screen for awhile now. So we may have to agree to disagree on the potential for excitement. xD

nothing on TGS? that's very sad =(

omgfloofy

Banned
nothing on TGS? that's very sad =(

Falcom's already confirmed that they won't be at TGS. They usually only go to market the game they're launching later in the month.

They're avoiding an end of September launch this year, with Ys VIII having a July release, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+ being early in September. Besides, I don't think Falcom's ever made any TGS announcements ever.

The only time they've announced games outside of their usual methods (magazine or investors meeting) were Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana, both at Sony specific events.

zakujanai

Don't really understand the dislike people have for Rean. Maybe it's being an introvert but I tend to like the quieter characters who keep to themselves. He's very similar to Joshua in that he's very reserved but clearly keeping a lot back. I'm very much looking forward to learning to truth behind the scar on his on chest. Hopefully we'll see him start to take the reins and become a leader.

My only real worry with him is the whole Elise thing. TitS got away with it because Joshua was 11 when Cassius brought him home and I don't think he ever felt like a brother to Estelle. It feels really wrong in this one to me.

Shahed

This is one thing that I think hurt Cold Steel a lot compared to other games. The cast is just too big. You get 9 people right off the bat and then random extras at times along the way.

Like your example in Crossbell. You have a core cast that you get to know, and additional members are thrown in at times. In Sky you had Estelle, Joshua and Scherezard at first. you got to know them a bit and had interplay between them. Then you met Olivier, then Kloe, Agate, Tita and so on. But they weren't all thrown at at once, but integrated over time in a way that made you appreciate them as an individual, and also their dynamic with the rest of the core crew.

It makes the group as a whole feel closer knit and more intimate if you will, a sense that you just don't get in Cold Steel. there you just get lumped with them all at once, with too many characters making it hard to them discover as their own person, never mind the group collectively. By also having so many characters it was hard to give them all appropriate levels of screen time, hence the regular complaints that certain characters don't do anything or are underutilised. This isn't unique to Cold Steel. I had the exact problem with FF Type-0 where you had an immediate large cast of 14 or so. There were too many people too care about, and in the end I just didn't care about any of them. Chrono Cross is one my my favourite games of all time, but bar some of the more involved members, half the cast are just a waste of space the game could do without and frankly mean nothing to me

There's a reason most games give you additional cast members over time. It allows you to learn about and care for said character when there's some focus on them, and also integrate them with the current party. I just don't feel like that works in games where you get several members at once, and I don't think Class VII feels close at all

Don't really understand the dislike people have for Rean. Maybe it's being an introvert but I tend to like the quieter characters who keep to themselves. He's very similar to Joshua in that he's very reserved but clearly keeping a lot back. I'm very much looking forward to learning to truth behind the scar on his on chest. Hopefully we'll see him start to take the reins and become a leader.

My only real worry with him is the whole Elise thing. TitS got away with it because Joshua was 11 when Cassius brought him home and I don't think he ever felt like a brother to Estelle. It feels really wrong in this one to me.

Its how he's written. It just drives me up the wall. Outside of a few moments he pretty says the same shit over and over and over and over.

I hate it. The only time he breaks the mold is when he is talking to certain characters like Sarah. Not sure if its because she is an adult or if he is just more comfortable around her. Who knows. And even then he still throws shit lines around. It gets me heated up just thinking about it

Gu4n

Its how he's written. It just drives me up the wall. Outside of a few moments he pretty says the same shit over and over and over and over.

I hate it. The only time he breaks the mold is when he is talking to certain characters like Sarah. Not sure if its because she is an adult or if he is just more comfortable around her. Who knows. And even then he still throws shit lines around. It gets me heated up just thinking about it
This is one thing that I think hurt Cold Steel a lot compared to other games. The cast is just too big. You get 9 people right off the bat and then random extras at times along the way.

Like your example in Crossbell. You have a core cast that you get to know, and additional members are thrown in at times. In Sky you had Estelle, Joshua and Scherezard at first. you got to know them a bit and had interplay between them. Then you met Olivier, then Kloe, Agate, Tita and so on. But they weren't all thrown at at once, but integrated over time in a way that made you appreciate them as an individual, and also their dynamic with the rest of the core crew.

It makes the group as a whole feel closer knit and more intimate if you will, a sense that you just don't get in Cold Steel. there you just get lumped with them all at once, with too many characters making it hard to them discover as their own person, never mind the group collectively. By also having so many characters it was hard to give them all appropriate levels of screen time, hence the regular complaints that certain characters don't do anything or are underutilised. This isn't unique to Cold Steel. I had the exact problem with FF Type-0 where you had an immediate large cast of 14 or so. There were too many people too care about, and in the end I just didn't care about any of them. Chrono Cross is one my my favourite games of all time, but bar some of the more involved members, half the cast are just a waste of space the game could do without and frankly mean nothing to me

There's a reason most games give you additional cast members over time. It allows you to learn about and care for said character when there's some focus on them, and also integrate them with the current party. I just don't feel like that works in games where you get several members at once, and I don't think Class VII feels close at all

Isn't that pretty much how schools work? You get thrown into a class with strangers that are too many and you get to know over time? When I first started playing Cold Steel, I wasn't sure how the game was going to deal with this, but it worked out brilliantly: the first dungeon with just Elliot and Gaius as the two classmates you accidentally end up with. They you happen to run into Machias, who then has a beef with Jusis. Skip ahead a few weeks and you start to go on field trips, where you hang out with three/four classmates. Over time, you start to see the entire group consolidate and hang with each other after class. I really liked that development.

Of course, the Crossbell's arc brilliance isn't determined by just the cast. Lloyd starts off just as much an akward turtle as Rean and Elie's perfection makes her boring from the get-go. The real party people are Tio and Randy, who constantly tease each other. Over time, they learn to cover each other's weaknesses and develop a very strong synergy. Much like Estelle, you see Lloyd grow, learn about his limits and his thinking gradually gets sharper. Rean knows a similar learning curve; what you see in Cold Steel is merely the first 25% of his story, even though that part of the story was mostly focused on his classmates. If people like Elliot or Gaius don't do it for you, Cold Steel II isn't going to make much of a difference; Rean, however, is a different story.

Isn't that pretty much how schools work? You get thrown into a class with strangers that are too many and you get to know over time? When I first started playing Cold Steel, I wasn't sure how the game was going to deal with this, but it worked out brilliantly: the first dungeon with just Elliot and Gaius as the two classmates you accidentally end up with. They you happen to run into Machias, who then has a beef with Jusis. Skip ahead a few weeks and you start to go on field trips, where you hang out with three/four classmates. Over time, you start to see the entire group consolidate and hang with each other after class. I really liked that development.

Of course, the Crossbell's arc brilliance isn't determined by just the cast. Lloyd starts off just as much an akward turtle as Rean and Elie's perfection makes her boring from the get-go. The real party people are Tio and Randy, who constantly tease each other. Over time, they learn to cover each other's weaknesses and develop a very strong synergy. Much like Estelle, you see Lloyd grow, learn about his limits and his thinking gradually gets sharper. Rean knows a similar learning curve; what you see in Cold Steel is merely the first 25% of his story, even though that part of the story was mostly focused on his classmates. If people like Elliot or Gaius don't do it for you, Cold Steel II isn't going to make much of a difference; Rean, however, is a different story.

Does he talk more candidly and less like someone trying to jerk off the ego of every person he meets? He acts like a compliment machine and life coach. After watching all the festival events with the characters it was just a hot mess. There is just way too much circle jerking in the writing. They need to work on natural conversations and have more fun with revealing dialogue that sucks you in

PLEASE tell me CS2 gets better in the writing department

Gu4n

Does he talk more candidly and less like someone trying to jerk off the ego of every person he meets? He acts like a compliment machine and life coach. After watching all the festival events with the characters it was just a hot mess. There is just way too much circle jerking in the writing. They need to work on natural conversations and have more fun with revealing dialogue that sucks you in

PLEASE tell me CS2 gets better in the writing department
Yes. Oh, yes.

What I said on the previous page:
Rean made both omgfloofy cry and me sick in the stomach during CS2. Another scene had me give Rean (actually, Falcom) a standing ovation. He's a great protagonist, but hasn't had the spotlight on him. Yet.

Shahed

Yeah that is how schools work. But as I've already covered in the past, I think the school setting was a detriment to the game anyway :p

Korigama

Hm, I rather liked the school setting (the adults actually being competent also helped), and Trista in general. As far as the large cast size, in regards to development and focus spread among them, this made far better use of what it had than the majority of JRPGs I've played that had fewer characters to juggle in a central cast, and should be the sort of thing that competitors take notes from (if either Namco or Square Enix were capable of managing anything close to a Trails game in respect to characterization and world building, it would probably be easier for me to care more about their output these days). Perfect, of course not, but by all means handled better than I've come to expect.

I very much look forward to seeing what's next for them in the sequel.

This is also key. Just because those nine are introduced to the player in the prologue doesn't change the fact that they're built up little-by-little, using smaller groups before working their way up to where they become more comfortable around each other collectively.

Is CS intended as a trilogy or longer?

We don't know for sure yet. Maybe not even Falcom knows for sure yet.

Hm, I rather liked the school setting (the adults actually being competent also helped), and Trista in general. As far as the large cast size, in regards to development and focus spread among them, this made far better use of what it had than the majority of JRPGs I've played that had fewer characters to juggle in a central cast, and should be the sort of thing that competitors take notes from (if either Namco or Square Enix were capable of managing anything close to a Trails game in respect to characterization and world building, it would probably be easier for me to care more about their output these days). Perfect, of course not, but by all means handled better than I've come to expect.

I very much look forward to seeing what's next for them in the sequel.

I think it's fair to say that the disappointment some people have with the writing of Cold Steel is mainly based on the expectations set by earlier Trails games, not in comparison with other JRPG franchises such as Tales.

Korigama

I think it's fair to say that the disappointment some people have with the writing of Cold Steel is mainly based on the expectations set by earlier Trails games, not in comparison with other JRPG franchises such as Tales.
As I said before, if I can expect something just as good or even better with the previous games, then I should be in for a real treat. Playing from the perspective of someone going from newer to older Trails should be quite interesting. Either way, I have been comparing it to games that aren't Trails, so I would say the fact that a game that some longtime fans found disappointing managed to leave such a strong impression on me personally bodes rather well for things to come.

I should also mention that I wasn't just comparing it to Tales when I brought up Namco.

Squire

Banned
As I said before, if I can expect something just as good or even better with the previous games, then I should be in for a real treat. Playing from the perspective of someone going from newer to older Trails should be quite interesting. Either way, I have been comparing it to games that aren't Trails, so I would say the fact that a game that some longtime fans found disappointing managed to leave such a strong impression on me personally bodes rather well for things to come.

I should also mention that I wasn't just comparing it to Tales when I brought up Namco.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I just re-installed TiTS this morning. Might start it this weekend.

Squire

Banned
Im legit excited for you!

Thanks! I think I have a better of what to expect/the kind of game they're trying to make after I paying through CS. Good to know the whole opening is slow, too. I'll try to stick it out until then.

Sen no Kiseki III is confirmed to be the last of the Erebonian trilogy. Then we most likely move to Calvard.

A friend just suggested this to me recently.

Thanks! I think I have a better of what to expect/the kind of game they're trying to make after I paying through CS. Good to know the whole opening is slow, too. I'll try to stick it out until then.

A friend just suggested this to me recently.

Once you meet a certain suspiciously familiar character the game hooked me in deep

I hope its the same for you!

khaaan

I started this game a couple days ago, just got to my "Free Day" and have a couple questions. Is it better to sequentially go through each character when spending your bonding points? I imagine there's a "Max Bond level" and since I'm only playing through the game once I would prefer to complete a few rather than be half-way through many. Also, is there any value in doing an evening bonding event?

After I get through this I'll probably go back and play SC because I was hella upset at the end of FC after how much people had hyped it up, hopefully it delivers.

Korigama

...did not realize you could dash with R until after getting the
horse
I've got one better: I didn't realize that you can alternate between close and long-ranged field attacks with Fie (provided that there's an enemy or something breakable to hit) until the final chapter.
I started this game a couple days ago, just got to my "Free Day" and have a couple questions. Is it better to sequentially go through each character when spending your bonding points? I imagine there's a "Max Bond level" and since I'm only playing through the game once I would prefer to complete a few rather than be half-way through many. Also, is there any value in doing an evening bonding event?

After I get through this I'll probably go back and play SC because I was hella upset at the end of FC after how much people had hyped it up, hopefully it delivers.
Prioritize whomever you prefer. Max link level is 5, and it's impossible to get everyone to Lv. 5 in a single run (same with completing every profile). Evening bonding events provide the same amount of points, and have as much of a chance at filling in new information for the notebook.

Where it gets more complicated, however, is developing the strongest bond with a character, which is unlikely to be all that manageable without a guide. This is related to specific bonding events in the last few chapters before the final one, a side-event, and the
academy festival
in the final chapter and its
dance at the after-party
. Most characters will need to be at least Lv. 5 for this, but not all of them. This is where the character-specific trophies and additional ending dialogue come into play.

Citing the conditions from the FAQ over on GameFAQs...

Class VII members (not including
Millium or Crow
) - 5250 EXP or higher (I had gotten only just enough for Lv. 5 with Gaius myself and had him as an option anyway, though); either attend bonding event on Ch. 6, bring along for the
bike event
on October 21, or spend
two festival tickets
together

Millium or Crow
- 3500 EXP or higher; either attend bonding event on Ch. 6, bring along for the
bike event
on October 21, or spend
two festival tickets
together

Instructor Sara - 4400 EXP or higher; either attend bonding event on Ch. 6, bring along for the
bike event
on October 21, or spend
two festival tickets
together

President Towa - 2000 EXP or higher; either attend bonding event on Ch. 5, bring along for the
bike event
on October 21, or spend
two festival tickets
together

Jiraiza

Thanks man

I feel better already and I have that ITCH for the next installment of the series

Bring it on

I'm going to be that guy and say that Rean didn't really do all that much for me in the sequel (if you were to graph my opinion on him from game 1 to game 2, it'd definitely be a downward curve), though I will admit he has some cool scenes. Then again, that coolness may have been because of the hype music instead.

The more you know.

Jusis, however, became more best boy, so it kinda balances out. Kinda.

Nose Master

Ugh. Fie doesn't really bother me, but the design of the Blue Haired Girl is gross. Lolis should be jettisoned into the sun. If there ends up being an
army of loli war machines ala Fie, I'm out.

I'm going to be that guy and say that Rean didn't really do all that much for me in the sequel (if you were to graph my opinion on him from game 1 to game 2, it'd definitely be a downward curve), though I will admit he has some cool scenes. Then again, that coolness may have been because of the hype music instead.

The more you know.

Nice

I loved Jusis. One of the few consistently great and well written characters in Cs1

I may be stuck with Rean but at least the supporting cast can make up for it

Gu4n

Ugh. Fie doesn't really bother me, but the design of the Blue Haired Girl is gross. Lolis should be jettisoned into the sun. If there ends up being an
army of loli war machines ala Fie, I'm out.
She's so out of place it's almost suspicious. *wink*

Just got back to this recently. Had about 17hrs in, but stopped playing. I'm now on Chapter 3,
on the train, on my way to the Nord Highlands

I don't really think there's anything gross about Millium. I mean I can understand her initial costume giving people pause, but nothing about her characterization throughout the game is suggestive at all.

Menthuss

The more you know.

I'm gonna risk it and just ask: In CS2, is Rean still suffering from his messiah complex where he goes to ridiculous ends to help others while forgetting himself?

Gu4n

I'm gonna risk it and just ask: In CS2, is Rean still suffering from his messiah complex where he goes to ridiculous ends to help others while forgetting himself?
Definitely not. If you watched the E3 stream from XSEED, you noticed Rean is very agitated from the outset and this only gets worse when things start to escalate.

As someone who spend so much more time with Cold Steel 2 than 1, I tend to forget how selflessness he was in that game, haha. In my memory he's more like this:

ildwflW.jpg
D32JyGk.jpg

hEArheh.jpg
RkkrZWY.jpg

Ooccoo

Made it to the
3 butterflies
boss (not sure how else to describe it). My first wipe. I dislike how you NEED to use breaks or cannot beat bosses...

A.E Suggs

Without question Cold Steel is technically and mechanically superior for sure

Now to just get the writing where is needs to be...

Just finished watching some youtube videos of various character events and man...... Rean is straight making me angry lol. Why did they do this to the main character.
Im not a fan of fc story at all especially since they dont even have the excuse of it being in a school, which is why im not harshly critical of cs.

Fc set up sc great writing, but i usually only see hardcore fans saying fc was a good game, but then again some of those same people will swear that persona 2 story can't be topped.

I might be one of those people. I actually liked FC more than SC.

I liked the subdued every day adventure pace of the first game, and thought
Richard
was just such a well done antagonist for the series and RPGs in general.

SC is great too, but it felt a lot more RPG-y and A LOT more gamey than FC. There were a lot of chapters that pulled me out of the world, where as with FC I was pretty absorbed from start to finish, which is probably why the twist at the end absolutely blind sided me.

Mr Rivuz

The European version is only in english, right?
Here in my country i couldn't find it (unless overpriced) so i ordered it from Amazon France. Hope the game won't be in french only ^^

StereoVsn

Im not a fan of fc story at all especially since they dont even have the excuse of it being in a school, which is why im not harshly critical of cs.

Fc set up sc great writing, but i usually only see hardcore fans saying fc was a good game, but then again some of those same people will swear that persona 2 story can't be topped.

I thought FC was a great game. Yes, it moved slowly, but I actually liked the more down to Earth, more book novel type of an opening. Plus characters were great, they were introduced at a great pace, and writing was quite good. I certainly liked it more then what I played of Cold Steel 1 (at least so far, probably halfway through Ch. 5).

Top Bottom