• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Im not a fan of fc story at all especially since they dont even have the excuse of it being in a school, which is why im not harshly critical of cs.

Fc set up sc great writing, but i usually only see hardcore fans saying fc was a good game, but then again some of those same people will swear that persona 2 story can't be topped.

I found the writing in both FC and SC to be incredible. Otherwise i wouldnt have made it to SC in the first place

Sorry but for all the faults you could find in FC/SC the characters and writing werent one of them. At least for me

Korigama

Hm, Nightmare NG+ is kinda boring with levels carried over. Having missed Orochi and Vermillion the first time feels like much less of a big deal, since it doesn't look like I'll actually need them before the endgame anyway.

zakujanai

???????????

You mean Angelica?? I don't think Angelica's teasing is supposed to be taken at face value

?

Can you post an example? I don't remember anything like this occurring within the game.

It's been way too long since I played it but there were definite moments that made me uncomfortable. I'll try to make a note of them on my next play to support my accusations in future.

I found all of Angelica's flirting with under age girls really uncomfortable (obviously even worse with Towa). The creepy old man
Alisa's grandfather
was even worse for creepy "joking" flirtations though.

I've stated before that I feel Millium has reasons for acting older than she is due to the life she's had to lead. It doesn't make it not creepy when she's talked about in a flirtatious or sexual way though.

Seriously, it's been so long since all this stuff bothered me that now I feel like I've fabricated it in my warped imagination. I know my partner definitely had the same misgivings when we played through it together though. If anything, I was the more able to tolerate it of the two of us.

Gu4n

Guess I'm just corrupted to the core; I just laughed during the scenes with Gwyn and Angelica and moved on, not thinking much about it.

I found the differences between the flash-forward scene at Garrelia and the actual scene much creepier.

Korigama

Guess I'm just corrupted to the core; I just laughed during the scenes with Gwyn and Angelica and moved on, not thinking much about it.

I found the differences between the flash-forward scene at Garrelia and the actual scene much creepier.
It was rather odd just how much was different or otherwise omitted.

zakujanai

I've forgotten now what the differences were. I think I noticed Millium is missing in the prologue? And the the base is much shorter than when you actually go there. Is there a reason for this, or is it just slightly clumsy story-telling?

Korigama

I've forgotten now what the differences were. I think I noticed Millium is missing in the prologue? And the the base is much shorter than when you actually go there. Is there a reason for this, or is it just slightly clumsy story-telling?
-Millium and Crow missing
-base layout much shorter and more simplistic
-not wearing their summer uniforms

It comes across more as something that was only meant to serve as a demo (which it was used as at one point before the game came out), rather than something that would make it into the final product. No idea why they did it that way.
Aren't Angelica and Towa in the same class? She's only a year or so older than her.
Pretty sure they're the same age (and both are second-years, difference being class assignments with the former being a noble and the latter a commoner).

Gu4n

-Millium and Crow missing
-base layout much shorter and more simplistic
-not wearing their summer uniforms

It comes across more as something that was only meant to serve as a demo (which it was used as at one point before the game came out), rather than something that would make it into the final product. No idea why they did it that way.

Pretty sure they're the same age (and both are second-years, difference being class assignments with the former being a noble and the latter a commoner).

The shortened dungeon is probably to not have the pacing suffer. The absent Class VII members is very deliberate, I believe. If they're not there, where could they be and what would this mean? The how/why of this is addressed in Ao.

Korigama

The shortened dungeon is probably to not have the pacing suffer. The absent Class VII members is very deliberate, I believe. If they're not there, where could they be and what would this mean? The how/why of this is addressed in Ao.
I considered the effect on pacing. That said, do you mean that the existence of two different versions of the events is intended to have actual plot relevance?

This thread is still extremely active for a niche singleplayer game that is over 6 months old, I see it on the frontpage all the time. Pretty cool

No1.gif

EDIT: aaand spoilers I'm out

Soriku

It involves spoilers for 3rd and the Crossbell games. Only click if you really want to know...

3RD AND CROSSBELL SPOILERS! NOT COLD STEEL!
She has yellow eyes. We know of two other gifted young girls who were held captive by a cult, experimented on, and in one case, even sexually abused. The experimental drugs they were given granted them enhanced mental capabilities, but also turned their eyes yellow.

It's possible.

Why is this creepy? lol.

Uhh explain please.

preta

I know, but Millium isn't related to the The 3rd/Crossbell spoiler you posted. This is an entirely new can of worms. :)

Oh. Well, that was what I had been thinking, anyway. Are you saying it's explicitly deconfirmed as of CSII?

Rhapsody

Banned

This is what my friend hinted at to me when I brought it up. Love how it could be seen as some kind of oversight when we know Falcom usually loves committing themselves to all the small details that makes everything up.

preta

Why is this creepy? lol.

Uhh explain please.

Maybe creepy isn't exactly the right word, but believe me, in context, it's seriously disturbing.

As for the other thing, CROSSBELL MAJOR SPOILERS
The same sort of thing happens at the beginning and end of Zero. It's revealed in Ao that time was actually rewound and history altered.

zakujanai

Aren't Angelica and Towa in the same class? She's only a year or so older than her.

Oh I got the impression that Towa was accelerated to older classes because she was so smart, maybe I misunderstood this. It doesn't help that she looks about 9 though, still not fond of fetishising women who look like children.

But...but... they WERE there the second time! And you say there may actually be a logical reason for the discrepancy? As if I didn't want the Crossbell games badly enough already.

Gu4n

Oh I got the impression that Towa was accelerated to older classes because she was so smart, maybe I misunderstood this. It doesn't help that she looks about 9 though, still not fond of fetishising women who look like children.

But...but... they WERE there the second time! And you say there may actually be a logical reason for the discrepancy? As if I didn't want the Crossbell games badly enough already.
Towa is 18, Angelica 19. The question is rather why does she still look like a child (with pointy ears)?

I found all of Angelica's flirting with under age girls really uncomfortable (obviously even worse with Towa).

As others have said I think all of them are really close in age, and as I've said I really think she's just teasing them most of the time.

The creepy old man
Alisa's grandfather
was even worse for creepy "joking" flirtations though.

I can see this. I think this is just a trope that doesn't translate well into modern western sensibilities. Like Master Roshi in Dragonball.

I've stated before that I feel Millium has reasons for acting older than she is due to the life she's had to lead. It doesn't make it not creepy when she's talked about in a flirtatious or sexual way though.

I just didn't see this at all in the game. I don't remember any moment where Millium was sexualized by the dialogue or actions of another character, but also the game deliberately characterizes her as acting in ways that betray the life she leads. She acts like a hyperactive, annoying 13 year old and is consistently giving up secrets from her job lol.

???

I thought it was just to build intrigue through starting the game in media res. I figured the reason Crow and Millium weren't present was to avoid spoilers as neither of them are initial members of Class 7

Alisa's grandfather was certainly creepy, but I can't say that I ever found Angelica creepy. She's mostly just flirting with people who are her peers.

Korigama

Gwyn (Alisa's grandfather) was definitely a dirty old man, and I found the context for the bits with Angelica more funny than anything else. In regards to Elise, the main issue is the fact that while she and Rean
aren't blood relatives
, they were still raised as siblings from a very young age, so it comes across as awkward that she would be able to see him as anything else.
Towa is 18, Angelica 19. The question is rather why does she still look like a child (with pointy ears)?
Having stumbled across something either here or in the series community thread, don't remember which, I'm guessing this is pertaining to the speculation that
she has possible fairy ancestry
, yes?

Alisa's grandfather was certainly creepy, but I can't say that I ever found Angelica creepy. She's mostly just flirting with people who are her peers.

I feel the same way ..Angelica is fine given the context.

As for rean sister, it would have been annoying if rean wasn't so ...dull at times so seeing her that way made sense to me.
I can't get enough of princess alfin teasing her about it .. make me smile everytime.

Gu4n

???

I thought it was just to build intrigue through starting the game in media res. I figured the reason Crow and Millium weren't present was to avoid spoilers as neither of them are initial members of Class 7
Again, I can't go into this in detail because of the Crossbell arc, but there are more reasons to think it's not to avoid spoilers than to think it is. And if you really like to know, scroll up to preta's post and reveal a major spoiler for yourself.

Having stumbled across something either here or in the series community thread, don't remember which, I'm guessing this is pertaining to the speculation that
she has possible fairy ancestry
, yes?
Possibly. She has too much prominence in the story to play the little role she does right now. The same goes for Elise.
Potential Awakener?

In regards to Elise, the main issue is the fact that while she and Rean
aren't blood relatives
, they were still raised as siblings from a very young age, so it comes across as awkward that she would be able to see him as anything else.

So were Estelle and Joshua though.

I think what bothers people is that Elise is very much imouto trope played straight for the most part. At least in CS1. On top of Onii-Chan honorifics in the original, their relationship seems very one sided, with there not being much to Elise beyond pining for her brother's affection.

I think the only thing that bothers me with both personally is how openly accepting and encouraging outside parties seem to be towards both pairings.

I was fine with Estelle and Joshua's relationship by the end of the game after becoming familiar with the nature of their relationship, but when their childhood friends and Schera tease Estelle about it in chapter one I was sort of left scratching my head, to the point where early on I was rooting against their relationship becoming romantic lol.

My reaction to Elise is the same. I was sort of ok with Alfin's teasing as she's the sister of you know who, but then I read the translation of the Drama CD and uhhhhhhhhhh...

Again, I can't go into this in detail because of the Crossbell arc, but there are more reasons to think it's not to avoid spoilers than to think it is. And if you really like to know, scroll up to preta's post and reveal a major spoiler for yourself.

Nah I trust your Kiseki expertise. I'll wait until I can experience those games.

Korigama

So were Estelle and Joshua though.

I think what bothers people is that Elise is very much imouto trope played straight for the most part. At least in CS1. On top of Onii-Chan honorifics in the original, their relationship seems very one sided, with there not being much to Elise beyond pining for her brother's affection.

I think the only thing that bothers me with both personally is how openly accepting and encouraging outside parties seem to be towards both pairings.

I was fine with Estelle and Joshua's relationship by the end of the game after becoming familiar with the nature of their relationship, but when their childhood friends and Schera tease Estelle about it in chapter one I was sort of left scratching my head, to the point where early on I was rooting against their relationship becoming romantic lol.

My reaction to Elise is the same. I was sort of ok with Alfin's teasing as she's the sister of you know who, but then I read the translation of the Drama CD and uhhhhhhhhhh...
I think the other issue with Estelle and Joshua was the fact that they, meanwhile, met considerably later, and had only regarded each other as siblings for half a decade.

The biggest issue I had with Elise wasn't even just her creepy feelings towards Rean, but how Class VII reacted to it.

Like, they were all but saying "Geez, Rean, hurry up and reciprocate your sister's desire to fuck you already".

zakujanai

For the people who aren't bothered by Angelica, how would you feel about a 19 year old man making the same sexually suggestive comments to 13 and 14 year old girls? Not trolling, just genuinely curious as to whether it alters anyone's view of the situation.

I do generally like Angelica when she isn't being a perv by the way, she seems like she has some demons to deal with has real depth as a character. It's a large part of why the other stuff bothers me.

For the people who aren't bothered by Angelica, how would you feel about a 19 year old man making the same sexually suggestive comments to 13 and 14 year old girls? Not trolling, just genuinely curious as to whether it alters anyone's view of the situation.

This is a pretty loaded question lol.

I'll sidestep it by saying I don't really think Angelica hugging her friends at their reunion is really that sexually suggestive. I think that's literally her only interaction in the game with the younger party members. (Fie and Millium)

So my answer is I probably wouldn't be okay with it if it was a male or female character, but I don't think anyone in Cold Steel really does this.

I think the other issue with Estelle and Joshua was the fact that they, meanwhile, met considerably later, and had only regarded each other as siblings for half a decade.

Sure. but from a player perspective you're introduced to two characters treating each other as siblings, and you have outsiders of their relationship putting it in their head that they might be attracted to one another before they themselves even realize that.

The biggest issue I had with Elise wasn't even just her creepy feelings towards Rean, but how Class VII reacted to it.

Like, they were all but saying "Geez, Rean, hurry up and reciprocate your sister's desire to fuck you already".

Yeah that's what I mean. The relationships themselves don't bother me so much as everyone outside of them being so readily understanding and accepting. It's not a big deal just sort of weird.

Like when Olivier and Alfin have the most platonic sibling relationship between major characters in the game, something don't add up lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I am playing Trails in the Sky right now for the first time, and during the prologue/chapters(so far), pretty much -every- NPC is making witty comments about the two of them pairing up. There are also several quiet moments where Estelle regularly ponders the idea of Joshua as more than an adopted sibling and even tries not very subtly to goad his thoughts on the subject(he pulls back usually without much comment).

It's very clear to me that the idea of them eventually pairing up is hardly any real twist and no one would find it shocking. Also, at the start of the game he has been in the household for 5 years, making Estelle 11 when they first met(given she is 16 when becoming a Bracer).

Obviously can't compare to this to the debate being held with Cold Steel, but the seeds establishing Justin/Estelle's "potential" relationship in TiTS are planted firmly right away.

Yeah I'm not saying it came out of nowhere, I just think Falcom's "seed planting" method of choice was a hard pill to swallow in the opening chapters of the game.

I mean I think it would be weird to even tease step siblings or any length of time, at any age, about being attracted to each other, so it was jarring seeing the whole town seriously suggesting it to Estelle as one of my very first impressions of the game and its world.

Psxphile

I didn't get that vibe from them. It was more like, "yep, poor girl's got it bad. Why can't you see it Rean, so you can go ahead and deal with it already before things get worse?" Didn't seem like they were trying to pair them up, they just wanted Rean to stop being a dunce about what was obviously happening and deal with it like a responsible adult. Apparently they're fine with just letting things fester though. Maybe they should take their own advice.

Now, the
Schwarzer parents
on the other hand...

Now, the
Schwarzer parents
on the other hand...

Part of me thinks they cut a pretty vital chapter in regards to the Drama CD. I feel like it was the proper introduction to
Ourobouros
that new players to the series probably needed.

but between what you describe and it generally being a throwaway hot springs episode, if they had to cut anything they definitely made the right choice.

i saw more like
"can't you deal with it , better ? she's your sister you know !" . Like the whole class realised he was holding back something when it concerned her sister.

It was only alfin that was more direct with her intentions and that was 100% of the time to tease her friend. The class 7 members ? I don't recall a bit of dialog when they actively pushed anything other than a peacefull and healty relationship between familly members.

I do generally like Angelica when she isn't being a perv by the way, she seems like she has some demons to deal with has real depth as a character. It's a large part of why the other stuff bothers me.

Your question has , like no revelance to the discussion ...

omgfloofy

Banned
In this thread: people on a forum that claims to love diversity, but have absolutely no qualms over erasing a popular LGBT character from a game. Good to know.

Nyoro SF

The thing about Angelika is that she's probably the most predictable and linear character in the whole game. A cardboard cutout would probably have more of an effect on me, now combine that with the fact that she hits on little girls and you can see that she is not very endearing.

That problem of linearity is endemic to the whole game but Angelika is probably the easiest example of it.

Shahed

In this thread: people on a forum that claims to love diversity, but have absolutely no qualms over erasing a popular LGBT character from a game. Good to know.
That's reaching. Unless I missed it, no one is saying Angelica should be removed from the game. Just that her moments of say interest in the other females came off too strong. The fact she is LGBT has nothing to do with it. If that was a guy who came across overly strong I'd feel the same way, and I kinda do to an extent with the grandfather and Crow.

She can be bi all she wants.

The thing about Angelika is that she's probably the most predictable and linear character in the whole game. A cardboard cutout would probably have more of an effect on me, now combine that with the fact that she hits on little girls and you can see that she is not very endearing.

That problem of linearity is endemic to the whole game but Angelika is probably the easiest example of it.

I didn't really feel that about Angelica at all. I thought she was a pretty interesting character, with some really nice scenes in the last couple of chapters.

I also didn't really find anything about her to be creepy. She makes some comments about Fie and Elise, but they're 15 and she's 19. I don't really find that to be super creepy. If she was 24 maybe. And even then, I don't recall anything that really went into really bad taste territory.

Top Bottom