• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

ultra7k

Currently going through on my second play through, apparently missed a chest somewhere in my first run which really irked me haha.

Question about the 40 quests needed to get the master quartz at the end, when you go to Notebook -> Overall Achievements, what indicates the number of quests complete?

Is it Extracurricular Activities or Field Study Tasks, or a combination of both?

ie:

Extracurricular Activities: 12
Field Study Tasks: 20

Does this mean I only need to do 8 more across both to get to 40, or is it 20 more Field Study tasks?

I'm on Chapter 3 now
investigating the Republic/Empire attack on the Nord Highlands
. I thought I wouldn't make it to the end of this game in time for CS2 since I play pretty slowly, but it seems like the release date I see on Amazon isn't final, according to you folks.

Also I have a question about CS2. Is the game supposed to be a "second chapter" to this game, so same graphics, effects, UI, etc except continuing the story, or are there some improvements from one to the other?

ultra7k

I'm on Chapter 3 now
investigating the Republic/Empire attack on the Nord Highlands
. I thought I wouldn't make it to the end of this game in time for CS2 since I play pretty slowly, but it seems like the release date I see on Amazon isn't final, according to you folks.

Also I have a question about CS2. Is the game supposed to be a "second chapter" to this game, so same graphics, effects, UI, etc except continuing the story, or are there some improvements from one to the other?

The way the game ends there is no doubt about second chapter treatment - story wise at least. Can't really comment on the technical aspects as I am on media blackout.

Jeffrey

the only real challenge i recall was the boss in the castle?

super RNG praying if you don't have the right protection gear.

I will say that playing on Hard it feels like the characters are extremely fragile. I never have enough money to upgrade everyone's weapons and armor either. So if I'm not careful, things can turn bad very fast.

The way the game ends there is no doubt about second chapter treatment - story wise at least. Can't really comment on the technical aspects as I am on media blackout.

Hmm I see. I'm gonna go ahead and based on screenshots and some YouTube footage say that it looks like it's basically Cold Steel chapter 2 in that regard as well. Graphics and the like all look the exact same. UI looks extremely similar too.

preta

Just this and Celceta, I'm very new to Falcom.

Definitely check out the Ys and Trails in the Sky games (and Gurumin) on Steam. On PSP/Vita, you have Ys Seven and Brandish: The Dark Revenant. There's also Nayuta no Kiseki, but it doesn't have an official localization, only a fan translation.

All of these are great games (and all of them have fantastic soundtracks). Some various music samples (not all from these games):

Innocent Primeval Breaker
Sophisticated Fight (arranged)
Ice Ridge of Noltia (arranged)
The Boy Who Had Wings
Evildoer
Warriors
Legend of the Lone Wolves
Firm Strength
Smashing Through the Mountain Path
Overdosing Heavenly Bliss (arranged)
The Golden World (Terra)
Cave
A Teary-Eyed Young Swordsman
Release of the Far West Ocean
Twilight Wanderers

Trails of Cold Steel II also releases sometime in the next two months.

cj_iwakura

Why is the MC silent in Chapter 1? Is that the new thing now?

So far the OST to this reminds me a LOT of Brandish, a game with a very melodic OST(surprisingly, given how dark it is).

Korigama

the only real challenge i recall was the boss in the castle?

super RNG praying if you don't have the right protection gear.
I found the 5F Old Schoolhouse boss far more troublesome than that (it took me three tries to beat the former, only once for the latter).
Hmm I see. I'm gonna go ahead and based on screenshots and some YouTube footage say that it looks like it's basically Cold Steel chapter 2 in that regard as well. Graphics and the like all look the exact same. UI looks extremely similar too.
The animations were improved between CS I and CS II. Other than updates to the UI, there are not only new combat mechanics, but adjustments made to how orbments work as well.

Korigama

I'm in the beginnig of Chapter 6 at 60 hours. How much longer do I have doing all sidequests?
There's
one more chapter
after that one. As the way I did things took me considerably longer than the times I've seen people post in this thread, I can't approximate how many more hours based on how you've played so far. To compare, I...

-did as many sidequests as possible (missed at least one without a guide, occasionally didn't get full AP)
-did what I could to talk to everyone everywhere more than once (and still missed some people)
-fought enough to get every battle trophy except for 100 Arts cancels (ending the game at Lv. 67)
-obtained every recipe and made all four dishes for each
-maxed 24 out of the 28 Master Quartz available to me
-made use of all bonding points when available
-fished enough to rank up to Black Angler (still missed Orochi and Vermillion thanks to not knowing there was no rank beyond it, and simply getting the previous 19 types of fish was all that was required)
-tried to open every chest, still missed something
-tried to obtain every book, got everything except Imperial Chronicle 9 somehow
-upgraded everyone's equipment between chapters by obtaining the necessary funds and U-Materials (the latter not being necessary for an ultimate weapon, which I gave to Rean)

I finished my first run with over 100 hours more on the clock than that.

Jeffrey

i feel like i used crafts way more in cold steel than Trails in the sky.

Just so easy to refill, and don't have to waste time casting idk.

Korigama

CP can be replenished more easily compared to Trails in the Sky, with crafts and S-Breaks also being more powerful and more versatile by comparison. For what I've played of FC so far, I've used both crafts and S-Breaks far more sparingly thanks to just how long it takes to get CP back (the former not being as useful as in CS and the only ones I've seen among the latter only targeting a single enemy at a time also contributing to this).

Yu Narukami

There's
one more chapter
after that one. As the way I did things took me considerably longer than the times I've seen people post in this thread, I can't approximate how many more hours based on how you've played so far. To compare, I...

-did as many sidequests as possible (missed at least one without a guide, occasionally didn't get full AP)
-did what I could to talk to everyone everywhere more than once (and still missed some people)
-fought enough to get every battle trophy except for 100 Arts cancels (ending the game at Lv. 67)
-obtained every recipe and made all four dishes for each
-maxed 24 out of the 28 Master Quartz available to me
-made use of all bonding points when available
-fished enough to rank up to Black Angler (still missed Orochi and Vermillion thanks to not knowing there was no rank beyond it, and simply getting the previous 19 types of fish was all that was required)
-tried to open every chest, still missed something
-tried to obtain every book, got everything except Imperial Chronicle 9 somehow
-upgraded everyone's equipment between chapters by obtaining the necessary funds and U-Materials (the latter not being necessary for an ultimate weapon, which I gave to Rean)

I finished my first run with over 100 hours more on the clock than that.

Don't tell me I still have 40 hours to go?

jman2050

Rean has on and off voicing. It's a bit weird.

The VA Falcom chose for Rean in Japan is a pretty big name, so they literally couldn't afford to pay him enough to voice all of Rean's lines.

Xseed wanted the localization to voice all of his lines but Falcom decided to enforce 1:1 matching voices between the JP/ENG dubs, thus why Rean is silent half the time.

Gu4n

Don't tell me I still have 40 hours to go?
It's no unreasonable to assume you still have 25 to 30 hours left, no. I think my clock also hit 60 in Chapter 6, finishing the game at 85 hours.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, personally.
Dunno about CS1, but CS2 would certainly be helpful

I'm gonna need all the help I can get in breaking the game
Cool. All Master Quartz for CS2 are up, I just need to add the stat data/passive effects.

I'd be more interested in the latter tbh. I feel like the profiles and summaries are something only you can do, while compilations of the MQ's is something any of us could do once CS2 is out.

So I figure your time would be much better served doing something only you could do.
The 10th Anniversary Sept Archive has neat bullet-pointed summaries per chapter of the games, so I'll use those to write summaries.

I would prefer character profiles with included leveled insight on combat style/Orbment strengths and weaknesses.

(Animated intro and Stat bar optional)
Not sure what 'leveled' insight means, but it sounds that what you're looking for is a guide. I'll leave writing those to people who are better at the games' battle system than I am. Though, I could write a word or two on how to break Rean into turning his normal attacks into Murakumo-amplified 100% guaranteed critical hits.

Squire

Banned
The VA Falcom chose for Rean in Japan is a pretty big name, so they literally couldn't afford to pay him enough to voice all of Rean's lines.

Xseed wanted the localization to voice all of his lines but Falcom decided to enforce 1:1 matching voices between the JP/ENG dubs, thus why Rean is silent half the time.

I thought it was a programming issue. They couldn't put new audio in spaces that Falcom didn't originally compensate for. No?

They don't seem that stringent with the dub, given the changes XSEED made to one of the intro scenes in CS2. I'm getting all of this from what was said/shown on their E3 stream.

Gu4n

I thought it was a programming issue. They couldn't put new audio in spaces that Falcom didn't originally compensate for. No?

They don't seem that stringent with the dub, given the changes XSEED made to one of the intro scenes in CS2. I'm getting all of this from what was said/shown on their E3 stream.
I think you two refer to the same issue. The reason XSEED could change the intro scenes is because the recordings the scene refers to were changed. Say, instead of 00001.wav being Alisa muttering 'Rean...', XSEED recorded Alisa actually saying something for 00001.wav. What XSEED can't do, is add 10001.wav if Falcom stopped at 10000.wav.

Squire

Banned
I think you two refer to the same issue. The reason XSEED could change the intro scenes is because the recordings the scene refers to were changed. Say, instead of 00001.wav being Alisa muttering 'Rean...', XSEED recorded Alisa actually saying something for 00001.wav. What XSEED can't do, is add 10001.wav if Falcom stopped at 10000.wav.

Yeah, there we go. That sounds more like an issue of Falcom just not wanting to double-back for programming. I think if the code as is allowed XSEED to add audio on their own Falcom would've been fine with it.

Unless they just actually said they wanted them to be 1;1 somewhere and that's why they wouldn't do the coding.

Menthuss

I can't recall having much of a problem with this. Are using your newer characters? One of them has moves that have a large chance of breaking and causing Faint. It's very useful. If you want you can also use Detect with Emma/Elliot to increase the chance of breaking that target. It's a recommended tactic to use in general as the skill adds an extra star chance of breaking for link attacks. Also you may not want to hear this, but if you're having trouble now (End or Chapter 3 spoilers)
There's another boss straight after :)

No, I didn't want to use
Millium
as she annoyed me a lot with her general behaviour. I can see that the game REALLY wants you to use her during the bossfight though considering her S-break almost oneshotted everyone.

While I'm posting anyway, I'd like to know something: Are elemental arts with large AoE's like Aerial stronger than their single target (like Aerial Strike)? I'm asking because, unlike crafts, arts don't have a class designation so I'm not sure whether or not they do more damage.

EDIT: Well, chapter 3 boss is down.
The second boss was way easier than the first. Only reason I even won the first fight was because Millium's S-break is obscenely good. Makes we wonder if my normal party is somewhat underpowered...

Gu4n

While I'm posting anyway, I'd like to know something: Are elemental arts with large AoE's like Aerial stronger than their single target (like Aerial Strike)? I'm asking because, unlike crafts, arts don't have a class designation so I'm not sure whether or not they do more damage.
Yes. Theoretically, your Aerial should do 1.5x more damage than Air Strike. This comes at the cost of a longer casting time (a bit more than twice as long) and a slightly longer AT delay after casting.

Also, embrace her. She's out-of-place at first, but hilarious in the long run. :)

Yu Narukami

The questions that are answered produce more questions, exponentially.
My-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Megauap

Finished it yesterday. Really excited about what the sequel will have to offer.
The ending
leaves so many questions open
Hopefully it will release at the end of this year in Europe.

Shahed

No, I didn't want to use
Millium
as she annoyed me a lot with her general behaviour. I can see that the game REALLY wants you to use her during the bossfight though considering her S-break almost oneshotted everyone.

EDIT: Well, chapter 3 boss is down.
The second boss was way easier than the first. Only reason I even won the first fight was because Millium's S-break is obscenely good. Makes we wonder if my normal party is somewhat underpowered...
That characters high break and Faint chance really makes them a good person to use, however annoying even I found them at times. Those moves never really stop being useful. However said character probably seems really good in comparison to everyone else you just had because firstly they may not have learned their more useful Crafts yet, and more importantly in this Chapter you did not have access to Laura and Fie who besides Rean are your best physical characters, both being good for AoE breaking and fainting. Next Chapter is a lot easier for for said reason. Also in the case of Rean and Laura (very mild gameplay spoilers)
Thier S Breaks get upgraded for bigger range and more power. Alisa's as well I guess
, so the other characters S Break advantage doesn't last.

Generally if you get a guest character, use them. Higher level and crazy good Crafts.

Menthuss

That characters high break and Faint chance really makes them a good person to use, however annoying even I found them at times. Those moves never really stop being useful. However said character probably seems really good in comparison to everyone else you just had because firstly they may not have learned their more useful Crafts yet, and more importantly in this Chapter you did not have access to Laura and Fie who besides Rean are your best physical characters, both being good for AoE breaking and fainting. Next Chapter is a lot easier for for said reason. Also in the case of Rean and Laura (very mild gameplay spoilers)
Thier S Breaks get upgraded for bigger range and more power. Alisa's as well I guess

Generally if you get a guest character, use them. Higher level and crazy good Crafts.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Korigama

Though Rean and Laura
both gain improvements for their S-Breaks to make them more useful (didn't find Alisa's particularly useful, even when upgraded)
, I'd say the advantage for the one that
Millium
has remains as a result of it being one of the only ones to both cover the entire field and be a physical attack, rather than magic-based. If I were to rank based on range and power, I would say the best S-Breaks look something like:
Sara (gave the nod due to also inflicting 100% Faint) > Millium > Crow = Fie = Laura (upgraded)

Shahed

Though Rean and Laura
both gain improvements for their S-Breaks to make them more useful (didn't find Alisa's particularly useful, even when upgraded)
, I'd say the advantage for the one that
Millium
has remains as a result of it being one of the only ones to both cover the entire field and be a physical attack, rather than magic-based. If I were to rank based on range and power, I would say the best S-Breaks look something like:
Sara (gave the nod due to also inflicting 100% Faint) > Millium > Crow = Fie = Laura (upgraded)

True. I used her S Break a few times on monster chests to one shot all the enemies. There's a trophy for it as well! 100% Faint hitting everyone is broken and while I generally agree with the order you put there in terms of utility, for raw power Laura would probably come first.

Ultimadrago

Not sure what 'leveled' insight means, but it sounds that what you're looking for is a guide. I'll leave writing those to people who are better at the games' battle system than I am. Though, I could write a word or two on how to break Rean into turning his normal attacks into Murakumo-amplified 100% guaranteed critical hits.

Gotcha. Don't worry about it then, I just like to see a side-by-side word on styles (which could very well be in the upcoming guide, haven't seen it). I don't really need standard character summaries having already gone through Cold Steel 1, but I suppose for those that need a refresher.

Definitely check out the Ys and Trails in the Sky games (and Gurumin) on Steam. On PSP/Vita, you have Ys Seven and Brandish: The Dark Revenant. There's also Nayuta no Kiseki, but it doesn't have an official localization, only a fan translation.

All of these are great games (and all of them have fantastic soundtracks). Some various music samples (not all from these games):

Innocent Primeval Breaker
Sophisticated Fight (arranged)
Ice Ridge of Noltia (arranged)
The Boy Who Had Wings
Evildoer
Warriors
Legend of the Lone Wolves
Firm Strength
Smashing Through the Mountain Path
Overdosing Heavenly Bliss (arranged)
The Golden World (Terra)
Cave
A Teary-Eyed Young Swordsman
Release of the Far West Ocean
Twilight Wanderers

Trails of Cold Steel II also releases sometime in the next two months.
I keep contemplating getting Trails in the Sky, but never get it. There are so many PSP Y's games, but I have no idea which ones to get nor the storage to hold all of them or the money to buy all of them.

Top Bottom