• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Cornbread78

I'm sorry, this
ice dragon
fight is such bullshit. I added speed to everyone, maxed everything out I coukd and they keep give him move bonuses so he gets double and triple moves. My copy of the game is fucking cursed... I'd hate to give up on 75+ hours of ganeplay, but this is horse shit.

Menthuss

I'm sorry, this
ice dragon
fight is such bullshit. I added speed to everyone, maxed everything out I coukd and they keep give him move bonuses so he gets double and triple moves. My copy of the game is fucking cursed... I'd hate to give up on 75+ hours of ganeplay, but this is horse shit.

Are you on hard mode? On normal it didn't give me too much trouble once I equipped anti-freeze stuff on everyone. What also helped quite a bit was sending Rean behind the boss. That way the boss sometimes focuses on Rean which can remove a lot of pressure from the rest of your team.

Korigama

I was admiring the alternate cover art and I noticed that Gaius and glasses lady are not on it. Does that mean anything? Or is that just how the art ended up going? I noticed Laura is on both front + back along with Rean and Alisa.
Just the art decided upon.
Are you on hard mode? On normal it didn't give me too much trouble once I equipped anti-freeze stuff on everyone. What also helped quite a bit was sending Rean behind the boss. That way the boss sometimes focuses on Rean which can remove a lot of pressure from the rest of your team.
He's indeed playing on Hard. Beyond what's already been said by other posters, I would advise having at least two people (this is usually Rean and Laura for me) have Soul Blur equipped in order to have at least one other option to cause Faint (only about a 30% chance with that Art, though). You could also try inflicting Blind on it. Fire won't work on it, but it seems that Space Arts are most effective.

On an unrelated note, since it won't work on this boss anyway, I pretty much never give Seiryuu to anyone who doesn't prioritize being a direct attacker. Something like that is more suited to someone like Rean than Elliot.

Well with FF15 actually delayed if they were purposefully pushing back the release of Cold Steel 2 to avoid it maybe now they'll move it up?

I can dream damn it >.>

Cornbread78

(Hard mode)
Yeah, that's the method that gave me the best fight yet (got him just under 10k) but he suddenly got 2 moves in a row (zero arts and the scream move) to kill two, which killed two, then I wasn't able to battle back quick enough with no CP left whenever soneone was healed..

Gu4n

I'm sorry, this
ice dragon
No, you can't give up now. The game is just starting to get good. Here are some tips:

- Equip anti-freeze accessories on all party members.
- Two attackers on the front row, two other members in the back.
- Your offensive attacks consists of Arts and S-Crafts, so make sure everyone has his/her ATS boosted.
- Fire off whatever S-Craft you have at your disposal during Critical turns; and make sure YOU get those turns, not the boss.

If you're running low on options, move each of your four units to a respective corner. Cast Crescent Shell (I think it's Shell, it was Mirror in Japanese) on yourselves and then spam Soul Blur. Occasionally heal.

You can do it, don't give up!

Asd202

I've got a question about save upload from Vita to PS3. Let's say I have a clear save data from CS I on Vita but I want to play CS II on PS3. Could I just load from any save on the Vita go to the menus and hit "Upload" and all saves will be uploded to my account So I can play CS II on PS3 with my clear save file from Vita?

Gu4n

I've got a question about save upload from Vita to PS3. Let's say I have a clear save data from CS I on Vita but I want to play CS II on PS3. Could I just load from any save on the Vita go to the menus and hit "Upload" and all saves will be uploded to my account So I can play CS II on PS3 with my clear save file from Vita?
No. What happens is you have to enter the Camp menu (meaning your Clear Data can't be uploaded) and Upload your progress. Then with the other version, you download your progress. You do not actually transfer save data; just your 'state' of the game, if that makes any sense.

Asd202

No. What happens is you have to enter the Camp menu (meaning your Clear Data can't be uploaded) and Upload your progress. Then with the other version, you download your progress. You do not actually transfer save data; just your 'state' of the game, if that makes any sense.

Heh figured as much so if I want to play CS II on PS3 with mine clear file I have to upload my near the end save from Vita. Buy CS I on PS3, finish the game to have a clear file. What a load of BS.

Shahed

Heh figured as much so if I want to play CS II on PS3 with mine clear file I have to upload my near the end save from Vita. Buy CS I on PS3 finish the game to have a clear file. What a load of BS.
Yeah I'm in the exact same scenario. While I liked the game, I hated playing it on the Vita so I was gonna play on PS3. I don't see why they have such a weird cross save system. MGS collection and FFX HD worked so much better. Debating whether to buy the PS3 version for cheap and promptly sell once transferred or buy the extra version of the second game

Unnecessarily awkward.

Eylos

Banned
Yeah I'm in the exact same scenario. While I liked the game, I hated playing it on the Vita so I was gonna play on PS3. I don't see why they have such a weird cross save system. MGS collection and FFX HD worked so much better. Debating whether to buy the PS3 version for cheap and promptly sell once transferred or buy the extra version of the second game

Unnecessarily awkward.

if you have any friends that like j-rpgs, buy as a birthday present

or you can search for a used copy

Abdiel

Cold steel one is also available on psnow, to rent. It works with cloud saves. Could give that a try instead of buying another entire copy.

Menthuss

(Hard mode)
Yeah, that's the method that gave me the best fight yet (got him just under 10k) but he suddenly got 2 moves in a row (zero arts and the scream move) to kill two, which killed two, then I wasn't able to battle back quick enough with no CP left whenever soneone was healed..

I'm glad I picked normal, haha. Getting stuck on a boss like you are now would absolutely kill my drive to continue playing.

But how likely is a September date? Wouldn't they have announced it by now? I mean cold steel's release date was known about 1 month ahead of time, but second chapter got released practically as soon as they reminded us it existed...

zakujanai

Chapter 2 gender separated classes: I want to believe it's due to Erebonia's archaic attitudes to gender equality (much like their views on class equality), but women doing a cooking class while the men work on computers really stinks of Japanese misogyny. I don't mean to come across overly negative because kiseki games are much better than most at representing empowered women (especially with the help of the excellent people at xseed). It may however be why moments like these really get to me.

Megauap

Chapter 2 gender separated classes: I want to believe it's due to Erebonia's archaic attitudes to gender equality (much like their views on class equality), but women doing a cooking class while the men work on computers really stinks of Japanese misogyny. I don't mean to come across overly negative because kiseki games are much better than most at representing empowered women (especially with the help of the excellent people at xseed). It may however be why moments like these really get to me.

There are other moments in the game when women are represented as powerful though.
You will see as you go along.

Nyoro SF

There are a few moments later in the game where girls operate computers on the school grounds during social / story moments, so I'm thinking that it's just gendered classes that take place during different times.

Gu4n

In light of Falcom's oeuvre, I'm positive this was a deliberate design choice to reflect's Erebonia's archaic society.

omgfloofy

Banned

There are other moments in the game when women are represented as powerful though.
You will see as you go along.

There are a few moments later in the game where girls operate computers on the school grounds during social / story moments, so I'm thinking that it's just gendered classes that take place during different times.

And something else to remember on all of this is that Nicholas (if I remember correctly?) runs the cooking club. The last time I checked, he's not a woman. ;D

zakujanai

This would be better but why separate genders to teach these subjects if they both study both?

In light of Falcom's oeuvre, I'm positive this was a deliberate design choice to reflect's Erebonia's archaic society.

This is what I'm telling myself given the fact Falcom generally are actually pretty good at representing women compared to many games (both western and Japanese). I just feel that this would've been highlighted if that was the case. Thor's is actually pretty progressive by Erebonian standards (mixing nobles and commoners) so I thought they might have been past such practices.

And something else to remember on all of this is that Nicholas (if I remember correctly?) runs the cooking club. The last time I checked, he's not a woman. ;D

Yeah I did think of him after I replayed this part and his inclusion seems odd. Ramsay is the school chef too so men do cook, but it seems to be the same sexist idea that only men can cook professionally and women cook to be homemakers. I could totally just be protecting my own angst onto this whole thing but that scene just jarred with me a little.

That said, *whisking furiously* is one of my favourite lines in the game and the first point I think I started to "get" Fie. Perhaps they just wanted an excuse for that moment with the girls together to happen.

Eylos

Banned
this post in facebook is interesting

"The Legend of Heroes: Trails Series - XSEED Games: Also, if you happened to find any typos in his dialogue that we missed, you're always free to write it in to comments@xseedgames.com. It may be too late to patch in any text bugs that were missed, but being alerted of them is always appreciated."

Cornbread78

OMG finally!!!! Eliot was the only casualty of the 5th floor old schoolhouse boss' triple attack BS and I was able to get his S-Craft attack of prior, so a little XP loss for him is a small sacrifice to pay for finally being done with that stupid enemy, lol.

Yu Narukami

Ending spoiler.

Why does Rean's power manifest itself when he sees Osbourne in the train? I finished the game and was wondering this.

This is what I'm telling myself given the fact Falcom generally are actually pretty good at representing women compared to many games (both western and Japanese). I just feel that this would've been highlighted if that was the case. Thor's is actually pretty progressive by Erebonian standards (mixing nobles and commoners) so I thought they might have been past such practices.

Well remember it's only Class 7 that's like that. The rest of Thors is still separated by social class, and there are places only accessible by those of the upper class. (The Salon)

That said, I definitely think it was deliberate on Falcom's part. And even if it wasn't I think they've earned enough good will with me in regards to how they treat their female characters to overlook this one example.

I mean even in this game, there's a lot of capable and competent women in positions of power defying gender roles. Alisa's mother and Claire both hold significant positions in the empire over men, defying both established gender and class roles within the empire. Sara and Sharon are two of the strongest fighters we see in the game. Falcom definitely doesn't think it's women belong in home ec courses lol

Cqef

"The Legend of Heroes: Trails Series - XSEED Games: Also, if you happened to find any typos in his dialogue that we missed, you're always free to write it in to comments@xseedgames.com. It may be too late to patch in any text bugs that were missed, but being alerted of them is always appreciated."

Bleh. Asking to report typos which won't be fixed in the end anyway huh...
Anyway, what caught my attention in the conversation was actually this French chap asking about Bleublanc's pronunciation and how off it was. While I didn't watch XSeed's stream and incidentally didn't witness their pronunciation myself, I only shudder to the thought, given how they messed up Vita Clotilde in Cold Steel 1 ("Vita Clotildehh", brrrrrrrrrr).

Korigama

I admit that I would have more incentive to go back and compile all of the ones that I noticed if they intended to do something about them (it would be my pleasure to help, if that were the case). As it stands, I'm currently only committed to completing a second run ahead of the sequel for now.

Eylos

Banned
Anyway, what caught my attention in the conversation was actually this French chap asking about Bleublanc's pronunciation and how off it was. While I didn't watch XSeed's stream and incidentally didn't witness their pronunciation myself, I only shudder to the thought, given how they messed up Vita Clotilde in Cold Steel 1 ("Vita Clotildehh", brrrrrrrrrr).

Actualy what got my atention is that they can't edit anymore the text in-game, maybe just a guess the game went gold?

I wouldn't be surprised either!

Why must you use your press sneak fuck powers for evil by delaying games Jason when you could reveal the date of Cold Steel 2 and make everyone happy!? Unless its a delay then instead I hope you burn in the pits of hell!

I feel like I should confirm sarcasm if only because that actually sounds like something an FF or No Man's Sky fan might have said to you at one point >.<

Seriously though, WTB a freaking release date.

Thoraxes

But how likely is a September date? Wouldn't they have announced it by now? I mean cold steel's release date was known about 1 month ahead of time, but second chapter got released practically as soon as they reminded us it existed...
If you don't hear anything by the first week of September, don't expect it that month. There's 1 week of Fall 2016 in September and the latest I've seen them announce a release date is about 3 weeks before release.

My personal guess is mid-late October, barring any snags they may hit along the way.

Any of the ones I found in CS were fixed with that last patch they did, including Ferris' journal entries which had formatting issues.

aravuus

Ending spoiler.

Why does Rean's power manifest itself when he sees Osbourne in the train? I finished the game and was wondering this.

The fuck, looks like I've forgotten even more story events than I thought.

I need to do a quick replay of just the story stuff or watch a playthrough on Youtube before CS2 comes out I think

Thoraxes

The fuck, looks like I've forgotten even more story events than I thought.

I need to do a quick replay of just the story stuff or watch a playthrough on Youtube before CS2 comes out I think
I think that's about the middle point of chapter 5, your quoted spoiler that is.

Yu Narukami

Will an US copy of the sequel recognize someone else's clear save when importing data? I finished an EU copy and will import the sequel.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
There were plenty more typos, including in some of the cutscenes toward the end in the final chapter.

Yeah. I'm replaying the game now, and the latest patch did fix a lot of the typos I found on my first run through the game, but there are still a few in the game.

And Sony charges a fee for every patch they release, so I don't think there's any chance they'll patch the game again JUST to fix typos. IIRC, the main purpose of Patch 1.02 was to fix a crash bug. Since they were already patching the game anyway, they just snuck in some typo fixes along with that.

Will an US copy of the sequel recognize someone else's clear save when importing data? I finished the EU game.

Save files are region-encoded, so if you had an EU copy of the first game, you will need an EU copy of the second game to transfer data.

aravuus

Will an US copy of the sequel recognize someone else's clear save when importing data? I finished the EU game.

Very likely it won't, but in the case the NTSC and PAL saves are identical (which they almost always are afaik), you can try and change the region of the save with the bruteforce save data tool.

I just recently changed a ToX2 save file's user ID with it to use someone else's clear save with my game, it's not the easiest tool to use but there are a bunch of tutorials around.

I think you can also edit your save data with it if you feel like cheating, which is something I may or may not be planning to do lol

Yu Narukami

Very likely it won't, but in the case the NTSC and PAL saves are identical (which they almost always are afaik), you can try and change the region of the save with the bruteforce save data tool.

I just recently changed a ToX2 save file's user ID with it to use someone else's clear save with my game, it's not the easiest tool to use but there are a bunch of tutorials around.

I think you can also edit your save data with it if you feel like cheating, which is something I may or may not be planning to do lol
Is it easier to change regions with my own clear data?

aravuus

Is it easier to change regions with my own clear data?

Quick google search tells me you just have to get the save from your PS3 to your PC (I used a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive), open the save in bruteforce, decrypt it (i.e. just click a button), manually change the region identifier from BLUS-something to BLES-something by right-clicking the save file and choosing the option in the menu, rebuild the save, move it back to your PS3 and you're done.

Doesn't seem too hard. There are youtube tutorials for it if the tool seems confusing. Looks like the only thing you really need to know is the PAL version's region id, which I would imagine is easy to find out on google.

e: But like I said, I'd wait for confirmation that you can just convert the saves from one region to another before going with the PAL version if importing your own data is important to you.

Yu Narukami

Quick google search tells me you just have to get the save from your PS3 to your PC (I used a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive), open the save in bruteforce, decrypt it (i.e. just click a button), manually change the region identifier from BLUS-something to BLES-something by right-clicking the save file and choosing the option in the menu, rebuild the save, move it back to your PS3 and you're done.

Doesn't seem too hard. There are youtube tutorials for it if the tool seems confusing. Looks like the only thing you really need to know is the PAL version's region id, which I would imagine is easy to find out on google.

e: But like I said, I'd wait for confirmation that you can just convert the saves from one region to another before going with the PAL version if importing your own data is important to you.

Yeah it sounds rather confusing. I'll see what I'm going to to.

zakujanai

Well remember it's only Class 7 that's like that. The rest of Thors is still separated by social class, and there are places only accessible by those of the upper class. (The Salon)

That said, I definitely think it was deliberate on Falcom's part. And even if it wasn't I think they've earned enough good will with me in regards to how they treat their female characters to overlook this one example.

I mean even in this game, there's a lot of capable and competent women in positions of power defying gender roles. Alisa's mother and Claire both hold significant positions in the empire over men, defying both established gender and class roles within the empire. Sara and Sharon are two of the strongest fighters we see in the game. Falcom definitely doesn't think it's women belong in home ec courses lol

I think if the girls had just had a bit of a grumble about being shoved into a cooking class while the boys got to learn about computers, or even better if maybe Elliot or Machias had said they'd rather be learning to cook them this whole issue of mine goes away. But I agree, all the women you mentioned are pretty awesome so it's very possible that it just represents Erenbonian values.

This sounds like it's not too difficult but I think I'll try to stay strong and suffer like a good European gamer should. Ideally I'd play CS2 after TitS the 3rd but no way I'll hold out that long

Top Bottom