• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

omgfloofy

Banned
If people want to see some mid-game CS2 in action, I've got a video that I posted on my youtube channel today that has one of the quest monsters at about 20'ish hours into the game. I feel like I can better explain what I'm getting at by showing this clip.

As a reminder this is a CS2 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AVYL_tDwI

The only thing that is really spoiler in this video is that it is one of the side quest kills, and it has a playable character that you would probably already know about if you saw the stream on XSEED's twitch channel. You'll also see a couple of the new S-Crafts in this video. Another additional note: I'm playing on Hard.

This particular fight is one of those where I went in expecting to just smash the enemy with Laura and got my face eaten in return. So I had to fiddle with the party, change everyone's setup a little bit, and go back to it with a new strategy.

Jeffrey

If people want to see some mid-game CS2 in action, I've got a video that I posted on my youtube channel today that has one of the quest monsters at about 20'ish hours into the game. I feel like I can better explain what I'm getting at by showing this clip.

As a reminder this is a CS2 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AVYL_tDwI<q class="ytm_descr ytm_block" data-full="Broadcast Date: 9-27-2014
Game: The Legend of Heroes Sen no Kiseki II (PS3)
Difficulty: Hard

This is a particular quest boss that I was proud of beating. Namely because I got to pull in my experience from a similar fight from Zero no Kiseki!" title="Click to toggle the length of the description.">Broadcast Date: 9-27-2014
Game: The Legend of Heroes Sen no Kiseki II (PS3)
Difficulty: Hard

This is a particular quest boss that . . .

The only thing that is really spoiler in this video is that it is one of the side quest kills, and it has a playable character that you would probably already know about if you saw the stream on XSEED's twitch channel.

This particular fight is one of those where I went in expecting to just smash the enemy with Laura and got my face eaten in return. So I had to fiddle with the party, change everyone's setup a little bit, and go back to it with a new strategy.

Does the game reuse alot of the same ost?

Jeffrey

The first game's OST gets used a lot in areas where it would make sense for it, like it did with FC and SC, as well.

which was a bummer! I put 90 hours in CS on my first playthrough, would love some more tunes or remixes or something in a full sequel~.

omgfloofy

Banned
which was a bummer! I put 90 hours in CS on my first playthrough, would love some more tunes or remixes or something in a full sequel~.

As a note, all of the new stuff you hear in CS2 is amazing, and there is at least one new track that came from the SAV for CS1, too, so it's not on the CS2 OST album.

But say you're in Legram- it doesn't make sense to me to have new music there when you're supposed to come back to it and feel like it's a familiar place. Changing the music would change that feeling as well.

Korigama

hope the
mecha
stuff is more fun to play in 2. The reveal was nice until you had to do the dumb boss fight and its terrible lol.

It's like xenogears but worse.
The setup reminded me of Xenogears (the use of
"Dost thou desire the power?"
only compounding it, even if not a perfect match for the quote that comes to mind), but in regards to the boss fight itself,
Front Mission came to mind as a result of being able to target head, body, or arms specifically

I was more annoyed that bad luck with a missed then countered attack at the end of
the very last fight in the game right after that one
resulted in my one and only retry on record. Because I sure as hell wasn't going through everything before it again on that run.

Jeffrey

As a note, all of the new stuff you hear in CS2 is amazing, and there is at least one new track that came from the SAV for CS1, too, so it's not on the CS2 OST album.

But say you're in Legram- it doesn't make sense to me to have new music there when you're supposed to come back to it and feel like it's a familiar place. Changing the music would change that feeling as well.
Any new battle themes?

omgfloofy

Banned
You actually have a number of event/dungeon songs in there. ;D

I won't say which ones. I'll leave that to you to figure out, or find out when it comes out in English.

preta

You actually have a number of event/dungeon songs in there. ;D

I won't say which ones. I'll leave that to you to figure out, or find out when it comes out in English.

Huh, I thought I had it all figured out. I am pretty curious to hear the final boss theme in context, considering how atypical it is.

omgfloofy

Banned
Guys remember what happened last time when CS2 spoilers were posted?

They clearly don't

You mean, someone got an endgame spoiler on accident because they didn't read the bolded text, then posted the nature of the spoiler outside of spoiler tags?

The video I linked was specifically picked out and edited with this thread in mind, for something mid-game, with no plot specific details going on in it so people could get an idea of how the game has been rebalanced.

Clearly, people are still not reading posts. As I said in my original post, if you watched the XSEED stream, which I believe was talked about in here, then you should be okay.

aravuus

Talking about preta's post. I don't know what his spoiler tags contained cause I'm not a dummy and I didn't click it, but it certainly looked like CS2 boss spoilers.

Your combat video was fine.

e: final boss spoilers even? we may never know, but since preta edited his post I think it's fine to drop this here

Terxus

Neo Member
You mean, someone got an endgame spoiler on accident because they didn't read the bolded text, then posted the nature of the spoiler outside of spoiler tags?

The video I linked was specifically picked out and edited with this thread in mind, for something mid-game, with no plot specific details going on in it so people could get an idea of how the game has been rebalanced.

Clearly, people are still not reading posts. As I said in my original post, if you watched the XSEED stream, which I believe was talked about in here, then you should be okay.

I don't think they were refering to your post, preta talked about the the final boss of CSII in his last post. (probably, I didn't click on the spoiler tag)

He edited it now though.

zakujanai

Laura seems like the most consistently used party member

I think across my three playthroughs though I only used her once. but I think I used everyone at least once save for Fie, who was either on two or 3 of my final teams

I really liked having Fie in the party, both for her deadpan dialogue and because those gunblade things were awesome. I found her fighting style too similar to Crow though so they were always competing for which one I'd take along
not a problem I'll have next time I guess &#128542;

Stuart444

I know it's just music but do we need to discuss music for the next game in the OT for this game? I mean there is the Kiseki community thread which would be better suited. If I didn't look up and see the mention of 'new', I'd have thought those were CS1 songs (I don't know all the song names and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Not trying to have a go at anyone, I also thought it'd do good to mention the Kiseki OT which is good for general questions about other games that the game specific OTs might not be suited for (ie the next game, CSII)

I know it's just music but do we need to discuss music for the next game in the OT for this game? I mean there is the Kiseki community thread which would be better suited. If I didn't look up and see the mention of 'new', I'd have thought those were CS1 songs (I don't know all the song names and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Not trying to have a go at anyone, I also thought it'd do good to mention the Kiseki OT which is good for general questions about other games that the game specific OTs might not be suited for (ie the next game, CSII)

Ya even the names of some of those tracks could be considered spoilers, especially if what was edited out was the track for the final fight, which the title and comments section are huge spoilers for what happens in the fight.

We get it, most of the people still posting in this OT have completed the first game and several have finished the 2nd. That doesn't mean we need a bunch of discussion for the 2nd game in here, when most of us haven't even played the game yet. "B-b-b-b-but there's spoiler tags, you shouldn't click them if you don't want to be spoiled" isn't an excuse when this is the OT for the first game and multiple times now major events in the 2nd game have been posted in here, whether they have tags or not.

There's a reason why there's a thread dedicated for the series as a whole and why there's OTs for each game.

omgfloofy

Banned
There's a reason why there's a thread dedicated for the series as a whole and why there's OTs for each game.

Though I do want to note that there have also been attempts to move a discussion to the other thread, and every time it's done, it kills the discussion completely.

I don't think I've seen a discussion cross from one to another successfully at all. In fact an attempt has actually happened between these two threads in the past 48 hours even. With the same result as always. Even when the exact post is linked here to move over.

Ultimadrago

Laura seems like the most consistently used party member

I think across my three playthroughs though I only used her once. but I think I used everyone at least once save for Fie, who was either on two or 3 of my final teams

Yeah Laura was fine, mind, but I was satisfied with just Rean as my main damage buffer/dealer. I believe my final (and most used when possible) team was: Rean, Fie, Elliot and Alisa.

Thoraxes

I did it with Fie on first playthrough, Laura on second.

Fie's voice actress is awesome and I liked her jokes
(storing munitions in a dormitory room will never not be funny)
. Plus I like deadpan characters. It's too bad that her conversations had the same problem that Angelika has, where every. fucking. thing. has to relate to her previous work. Can't even do a star-viewing student exhibit together without her mentioning it... *grumble, grumble*
I have a two save files at that part of the game (from two runthroughs) for all character scenes for there till the end. I'm gonna have to do some video recording of that stuff to share sometime.

If you see
Towa's
, the information you get about Angelica there gives you a more interesting look into where I would guess her character is going to go in the next game.
Sara of course.

...then I went back to do the others (the ones I unlocked) for the trophies.
I really liked hers too. Took me by surprise, even more so once I had finished SC.
Remember how I also pointed out that her saying that doesn't mean it's not the current date either? We know Xseed actually attempts to hit the dates they give retailers as a placeholder, even if they usually don't hit it due to getting tied up with localization/QA for other games and end up changing dates for everything multiple times like last year (I mean there's a reason why they aren't taking on as many projects this year as last). If they did not believe they could hit that date, they would have had it changed by now, the same goes for Corpse Party and it's August 30th date.
They've also delayed things days before those dates before too. Just look at Senran Kagura Crimson Girls for instance, which didn't get a new date till plenty after the placeholder passed and had multiple placeholders over the following two months after the initial one passed, or Popolocrois for an even more recent example. Not to mention there are dates all over September for the game between all the retailers last I checked.

I think the usual trend is to hear a concrete release date, at the earliest, usually a month before release from XSEED. If they say they're aiming for Fall, I'd like to believe that they won't be releasing it in summer. There's only one Tuesday in September that falls in the fall season, and unless some dates have changed (I have not checked in the past couple weeks), none of them had the game scheduled for release on that day.

I want it just as bad as anyone else here though, and would love to have it earlier, but I'm trying to be realistic about taking them at their word, especially given their history of release dates and retailer placeholders.

Gu4n

Before wasting time on something no one is interested in: would a detailed list of Master Quartz in Cold Steel and Cold Steel II (no spoilers, only the first Earth quartz) be helpful for people? They take quite some time to compile and if no one would use them I rather work on some character profiles or summaries of games.

Jeffrey

oh god forgot DQ7 is september too. who has time for all these games with a day job lol.

I'm still poking through #FE. Haven't even booted up setsuna yet...

Shahed

Though I do want to note that there have also been attempts to move a discussion to the other thread, and every time it's done, it kills the discussion completely.

I don't think I've seen a discussion cross from one to another successfully at all. In fact an attempt has actually happened between these two threads in the past 48 hours even. With the same result as always. Even when the exact post is linked here to move over.

Well personally I feel reluctant to mess around in the other thread. As long as people there are have 4 games on us (3 soon) I'm wary I may accidentally click on spoilers which shouldn't be an issue in here. Also when I see chains of discussion that needs to be ignored since I can't follow, it feels weird and off putting.

I'd love to be able to to join in and read the discussion over there, but until I've caught up on the games that other's have player in the thread, it's unlikely I'll ever have more than a passing interest in it.

Squire

Banned
Before wasting time on something no one is interested in: would a detailed list of Master Quartz in Cold Steel and Cold Steel II (no spoilers, only the first Earth quartz) be helpful for people? They take quite some time to compile and if no one would use them I rather work on some character profiles or summaries of games.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, personally.

aravuus

Dunno about CS1, but CS2 would certainly be helpful

I'm gonna need all the help I can get in breaking the game

Cornbread78

Oh goodness, everything was going great until I got to the Chapter 5 Old School House Boss... like, WTH man.... Not nice.

Literally used 4 S-Breaks to start off the battle and it immediately laughed at me and used three moves in a row to destroy my party, such bull$hit.

hope the
mecha
stuff is more fun to play in 2. The reveal was nice until you had to do the dumb boss fight and its terrible lol.

It's like xenogears but worse.

I don't know. I think it's like the RPG battle version of punchout

Vs Xenogears which has a battle system that doesn't make any sense at all. lol

Yeah Laura was fine, mind, but I was satisfied with just Rean as my main damage buffer/dealer. I believe my final (and most used when possible) team was: Rean, Fie, Elliot and Alisa.

That's pretty close to my final team, but I had Gaius instead of Elliot.

Those three along with Jusis I think get 15% evasion from their ultimate weapons, so it's pretty easy to get them to 50%. and then you can just roll the end game with Alisa insight strats lol

I'd be more interested in the latter tbh. I feel like the profiles and summaries are something only you can do, while compilations of the MQ's is something any of us could do once CS2 is out.

So I figure your time would be much better served doing something only you could do.

Ultimadrago

I would prefer character profiles with included leveled insight on combat style/Orbment strengths and weaknesses.

(Animated intro and Stat bar optional)

Menthuss

WTF is with that chapter 3 boss? I'm cruising along no problem and then this fucker wipes me 3 times in a row. I keep getting overwhelmed by his soldier goons and their line attacks. Figured I'd focus on his goons first but even if I take out 2 goons with S-breaks and arts the remaining guys and the boss's arts just destroy me. :/

Shahed

WTF is with that chapter 3 boss? I'm cruising along no problem and then this fucker wipes me 3 times in a row. I keep getting overwhelmed by his soldier goons and their line attacks. Figured I'd focus on his goons first but even if I take out 2 goons with S-breaks and arts the remaining guys and the boss's arts just destroy me. :/

I can't recall having much of a problem with this. Are using your newer characters? One of them has moves that have a large chance of breaking and causing Faint. It's very useful. If you want you can also use Detect with Emma/Elliot to increase the chance of breaking that target. It's a recommended tactic to use in general as the skill adds an extra star chance of breaking for link attacks. Also you may not want to hear this, but if you're having trouble now (End or Chapter 3 spoilers)
There's another boss straight after :)

This game is beyond anime, and Alisa is a gigantic bitch. It's like watching Akane and Ranma go at it.
Did you just start the game? Yeah the game is quite 'anime' if that makes sense, but some of the stereo types you might latch onto at first do get subverted. While I never really liked Alisa that much even at the end, thankfully her early behaviour doesn't last long and she grows out of it.

cj_iwakura

Did you just start the game? Yeah the game is quite 'anime' if that makes sense, but some of the stereo types you might latch onto at first do get subverted. While I never really liked Alisa that much even at the end, thankfully her early behaviour doesn't last long and she grows out of it.

I did, and I hope so, because that is the most irritating stereotype in existence, and I long for the day when a male character just says 'well you know what, be that way', and drops her like a bad habit.

Shahed

I did, and I hope so, because that is the most irritating stereotype in existence, and I long for the day when a male character just says 'well you know what, be that way', and drops her like a bad habit.

You and me both. When I see characters like that sometimes I wish I could just shake them and tell them to grow up, or the other character to just ignore them until they do. Oh well.

What's ironic is that she's one of my most used characters. Good for breaking certain enemies and her AoE crafts probably make her the best support character.

Cornbread78

These difficulty jumps for these bosses is fucking ridiculas. This chp. 4 school house boss is a 2 strike kill every time and they keep giving him back to back turns with AoE attacks... seriously. WTF.

I really can't understand the jumps in difficulty people are seeing? Maybe I min/maxed or something but I gave strength to pretty much everyone. Brought Alissa along whenever possible(arguably a weak character) and just mowed through the game. Post me your setups and where you are and when I get off work I'll pull up some of my old save games and tell you how I had stuff setup. Anytime you have Rean and Laura in a party even coming close to losing is inexcusable.

Also if Rean isn't using an S-burst you spam his delay attacks all day, everyday. Delays>Just about everything else.

Shahed

I'll add that Faint is an awesome debuff to put on an enemy. Like it's crazy battle ending good if they're not resistant to it and you take advantage effectively. Not only does it mean that the enemy inflicted skips a few turns, but any physical attack against them is a guaranteed Critical. Meaning guaranteed breaks and chain attacks even with normal hits from anyone including Emma ane Elliot. Link them with your most powerful (Rean/Laura) and not only do you do a lot of extra damage, you build said characters CP up as well so they can use more Crafts and S Breaks.

It just so happens two characters that can cause Faint quite well are Rean and Laura. Rean has a small placed Fire AoE Craft that's really good for just breaking on single targets anyway, and causes Faint to boot. Laura has Brilliant Spin which when hitting multiple targets gives a high chsnce of Break. She also has a single target Craft that causes Defence down. Either or both of those moves can cause Faint I believe. Fie's Skud Ripper is really good as well. Later on you can also use (Chapter 3 onwards Spoilers)
Millium
and (Chapter 6 spoilers)
Angelica
is ridiculously good at it. Can stop the boss having more than a few turns the entire battle

Top Bottom