• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

omgfloofy

Banned
Perhaps playing other games that don't handle child characters well has made me a little over sensitive to those I saw in CS, I'll try to bear this in mind when I finally get my arse in gear to play it again.

There are other things going on with Millium anyway. ;D

I'm being vague at the moment, because it's almost 5am and I can't remember if this was something that came up in CS or CS2.

I didn't get that vibe from them. It was more like, "yep, poor girl's got it bad. Why can't you see it Rean, so you can go ahead and deal with it already before things get worse?" Didn't seem like they were trying to pair them up, they just wanted Rean to stop being a dunce about what was obviously happening and deal with it like a responsible adult. Apparently they're fine with just letting things fester though. Maybe they should take their own advice.

Now, the
Schwarzer parents
on the other hand...

Ding ding ding.

It isn't an irrelevant hypothetical "what if" though because a person's gender shouldn't affect how to see inappropriate sexual advances made towards children. It's equally as wrong for a woman as for a man. The 13 year old is Millium, not sure how you missed her since she upsets quite a lot of people. As with a lot of characters in Japanese games though I can't help but feel they've just fiddled the numbers with the ages. She seems more about 8 or 9 in appearance and behaviour, but I won't go into that side of things since it can get rather inflammatory (and last time it was brought up in earnest it resulted in Tom from xseed quitting gaf).

I really , but really don't think about millium that way . I didn't miss her , she wasn't even on my radar . I don't recall anything between millium and her that all . there was those 2 lines where milium call her funny/weird and that's all when she arrives in the school.
Millium interractions with the game is so focused on julius and the rest of class 7, she wasn't even part of the equation.
I was worried about millium at first but at the end of the game , i treated her like a class member. She upsets people ? fine. i'm fine with the character except one thing that is irrevelant right now.

As for the character ages, this is again , like just your opinion ... and ignoring all the teases that she is indeed an agent and doesn't act like a super genki girl.
I mean , her appearance AND behavior doesn't even match the 8-9 years old in the game and seems older than them ..so whatever your agenda....

Shahed

I can't remember, was it Criminal or Pandora I should buy for Master Quartz? I already bought Moebius.
Criminal is the most powerful Arte Master Quartz. Good for Emma or Elliot. Can't remember what Pandora does.
Always be levelling Moebius, and buy Megalith as soon as you can. Those two combined can break the game. Hope you are fishing when you can as well!

From the top of my head Pandora doubles the Arts power at the cost of a higher (double?) EP cost. You can break bosses into tiny pieces with that.
That sounds pretty good as well actually. I guess I never experimented with Artes much this game. J mean I nuked everything with them in Sky. Aerial, White Gehenna, Death Scream and so on. But in this game I felt they buffed physical users and crafts and it was easier to use them instead. My team of Rean, Laura and Alisa walked through ever, Emma was barely even needed. Gale/Brilliant Spin my way to one shot battles.

Gu4n

I can't remember, was it Criminal or Pandora I should buy for Master Quartz? I already bought Moebius.

Criminal is the most powerful Arte Master Quartz. Good for Emma or Elliot. Can't remember what Pandora does.
Always be levelling Moebius, and buy Megalith as soon as you can. Those two combined can break the game. Hope you are fishing when you can as well!
From the top of my head Pandora doubles the Arts power at the cost of a higher (double?) EP cost. You can break bosses into tiny pieces with that.

Cornbread78

That sounds pretty good as well actually. I guess I never experimented with Artes much this game. J mean I nuked everything with them in Sky. Aerial, White Gehenna, Death Scream and so on. But in this game I felt they buffed physical users and crafts and it was easier to use them instead. My team of Rean, Laura and Alisa walked through ever, Emma was barely even needed. Gale/Brilliant Spin my way to one shot battles.

Nice, so I bought Criminal, now it's just a guessing game on who should get which Quartz...

Jeffrey

Jesus christ, how did people play the vita version without killing their eyes?

Got a headache after playing it a bit for 20min.

Non native resolution + blur filter + tiny text = me squinting at blurry stuff, and that's not fun.

And I thought Japan was more careful about everything that can screw with your eyes after the pokemon anime seizure thing.

Lusankya

Non native resolution + blur filter + tiny text = me squinting at blurry stuff, and that's not fun.

And I thought Japan was more careful about everything that can screw with your eyes after the pokemon anime seizure thing.

I didn't encounter any problem at all with the visuals of the Vita version. Had a super sharp image and a normal font size.

Corpekata

Banned

Just wait until you get to the larger areas and towns so a 20ish framerate can accompany those other traits.

Gu4n

It took me about half an hour to get used to it and small kanji is significantly harder to read. My eyes died a long time ago, though.

Shahed

Yeah I had the same problem at first. Thought it was quite small but got used to it after a while.

Jeffrey

I'll just continue my ng+ on ps3 lol.

It's a shame my vita is mostly used for indie games or older ports. It's like games are either not native resolution, or god awful framerate (gust pls), or both!

NX is basically the vita's successor (HD handheld console), hope it doesn't fall into a similar hole.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Vague CS1 ending spoilers: Who did you
dance
with? Real question.

Remember people:

TRro4Zh.png

nooooo.... :(

I didn't encounter any problem at all with the visuals of the Vita version. Had a super sharp image and a normal font size.

Huh, the game's likely running at 720x408 or below, and it uses heavy antialiasing which arguably gives the image a less crisp appeal (but is still better than no antialiasing since it's sub-native anyway).

The HUD and UI are rendered at native resolution however, but I wouldn't really say it has a normal font size - it's clear the interface was designed for PS3, and then scaled down 1:1 to the Vita display with no accommodation for the handheld format. Some of the text sizes of the interface and menu elements are unacceptably tiny, but overall it's OK, especially compared with some other games on the format.

Nyoro SF

Vague CS1 ending spoilers: Who did you
dance
with? Real question.

Remember people:

TRro4Zh.png

I did it with Fie on first playthrough, Laura on second.

Fie's voice actress is awesome and I liked her jokes
(storing munitions in a dormitory room will never not be funny)
. Plus I like deadpan characters. It's too bad that her conversations had the same problem that Angelika has, where every. fucking. thing. has to relate to her previous work. Can't even do a star-viewing student exhibit together without her mentioning it... *grumble, grumble*

Played fine for me. Maybe im just used to this sort of thing

Risk of Rain took it too far.. And i still played it lok

Ultimadrago

. Plus I like deadpan characters. It's too bad that her conversations had the same problem that Angelika has, where every. fucking. thing. has to relate to her previous work. Can't even do a star-viewing student exhibit together without her mentioning it... *grumble, grumble*

Mirrored thoughts with this. Fie is still my favorite, but Lord did that make her a parody unto herself. "Well, in my old school.. " syndrome.

I look forward to seeing more interacions with her in CS2, but does that aspect of her writing become any better?

ultra7k

Running through on my second play through, and it seems fine to me. Sure some of the edges aren't the sharpest, but I feel it's fine.

aravuus

I feel you bro. She's great, let's hope her interactions are more interesting in CS2

Cause she deserves it

e: oh and I obviously picked Jusis during the last part because I was genuinely hoping Rean
would ask him to dance
. It would have been so fucking great.

Ultimadrago

e: oh and I obviously picked Jusis during the last part because I was genuinely hoping Rean
would ask him to dance
. It would have been so fucking great.

Why wasn't this a thing? Haha. I can only imagine the plethora of potential Jusis reactions.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I feel you bro. She's great, let's hope her interactions are more interesting in CS2

Cause she deserves it

At the beginning I was kinda eh on Fie, but then I grew to like her more than the rest of the playable characters.

Sara still GOAT though, right behind Claire.

omgfloofy

Banned
I could add about the thing with Fie may be because that's not just an important piece of her past, but an important piece of Zemurian history, too.

CS Spoilers:
But since Jaegers are banned from operating in Liberl, you don't have the context about the "big deal" that they can be without Crossbell. Especially considering Zephyr and its role with other bands.

Jeffrey

speaking of laura, wonder if she gets nerfed in 2 lol. Being able to 1tko bosses on normal with her s-craft is kinda broken.

khaaan

Are Quartz properties still in this game? i.e. In Trails In The Sky mixing and matching different elemental Quartz would give you different Arts. I've only unlocked two slots but it seems like the Arts and Quartz have been condensed into one? I just recall (I think in the engineering building) that there was a list where I could basically synthesize Arts.

omgfloofy

Banned
Hey we agree on this pretty strongly :p

*fistbump*

speaking of laura, wonder if she gets nerfed in 2 lol. Being able to 1tko bosses on normal with her s-craft is kinda broken.

Not a damn bit. Lol I managed to one-shot a boss with her at one point because the stars aligned right. But then again, it's way easier to break multiple members of the cast now, too. Lol

I had an arts user break the 9999 barrier on low level arts every time he cast them by about midpoint of the game.

Yep. It also increases the Area of Effect of arts

That latter part isn't really that impressive when the highest tier spells are full field ones anyways, but when I first got Pandora to max level in legram, it was REALLY FUN seeing Emma create tidal waves out of the lower tier water spells

Shahed

Are Quartz properties still in this game? i.e. In Trails In The Sky mixing and matching different elemental Quartz would give you different Arts. I've only unlocked two slots but it seems like the Arts and Quartz have been condensed into one? I just recall (I think in the engineering building) that there was a list where I could basically synthesize Arts.
You don't need to complete lines in order to use certain Artes. If you want to use Volcano, you just equip the Volcano Quartz. No need to create chains of 6 Fire, 3 Mirage and 2 Wind for example. Most of the quartz you can buy from the Sepith shop will just let you use the associated arte. However the quartz you find (or create via Micht's pawn shop) will have extra passive stat bonuses. Other non arte related quartz will usually be stat bonuses, or effects like defense down and so on.

Personally I like the changes as it makes it simpler and makes physical fighters who don't have long orbment grid lines mkre viable.

khaaan

You don't need to complete lines in order to use certain Artes. If you want to use Volcano, you just equip the Volcano Quartz. No need to create chains of 6 Fire, 3 Mirage and 2 Wind for example. Most of the quartz you can buy from the Sepith shop will just let you use the associated arte. However the quartz you find (or create via Micht's pawn shop) will have extra passive stat bonuses. Other non arte related quartz will usually be stat bonuses, or effects like defense down and so on.

Personally I like the changes as it makes it simpler and makes physical fighters who don't have long orbment grid lines mkre viable.

Thanks!

The game hasn't said anything about it at the point I'm at (Celdic) and if it did, I missed it so I wasn't sure what was going on. I agree, the change seems like a good one. I didn't mind it in TiTS but the benefits of meticulously planning your layout was a little lost on me.

I second this. Laura is awesome and never left my part unless the game took her away from me. Always have a soft spot for the slightly introverted characters.

i love her english voice actor

As a character shes rather plain but she does get some great moments... and some not so great moments.

Gets satisfying bonding events

Is amazing to use in combat lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... okay, so Hatsuu said that September isn't necessarily out. Just that September 6th isn't the actual date.

Sigh. Well, whatever. Went ahead and preordered the game. With the Prime discount, it ended up being like $31. That's cheap, especially considering how rad this thing is inevitably gonna be.

Psxphile

Not a damn bit. Lol I managed to one-shot a boss with her at one point because the stars aligned right. But then again, it's way easier to break multiple members of the cast now, too. Lol

I had an arts user break the 9999 barrier on low level arts every time he cast them by about midpoint of the game.

Hm. I thought I read CSII was much better balanced than CSI, i.e. all kind of game-breaking setups from CSI were nerfed. I guess people just figured out other ways.

Also, that last point doesn't seem all that impressive when you take into account that Rean and the others start at or around Level 40.

Laura seems like the most consistently used party member

I think across my three playthroughs though I only used her once. but I think I used everyone at least once save for Fie, who was either on two or 3 of my final teams

omgfloofy

Banned
Hm. I thought I read CSII was much better balanced than CSI, i.e. all kind of game-breaking setups from CSI were nerfed. I guess people just figured out other ways.

I still found it more balanced, mind you. CS2 doesn't always let you just run roughshod into certain situations. I could one-shot some bosses, then another would wipe the floor with me. I'd retweak, and then wipe them.

There's a lot more playing with the setups, and fiddling around and the game deciding to throw you a curve ball from left field.

And what level you start at doesn't really say anything about the game. Look at Trails in the Sky the 3rd, which I believe is absolutely the most challenging game in the series, and you don't start at level 1 there, at all.

Sidenote: CS2 is not what Evolution did to the Trails in the Sky trilogy in terms of balance. lol

Jeffrey

hope the
mecha
stuff is more fun to play in 2. The reveal was nice until you had to do the dumb boss fight and its terrible lol.

It's like xenogears but worse.

Tohsaka

Hmm... okay, so Hatsuu said that September isn't necessarily out. Just that September 6th isn't the actual date.

Sigh. Well, whatever. Went ahead and preordered the game. With the Prime discount, it ended up being like $31. That's cheap, especially considering how rad this thing is inevitably gonna be.

I hope they manage to get it out earlier in the month, would be nice to be able to play through it before FFXV comes out.

Jeffrey

i still don't get why other vita/console dual release games aren't same priced like Cold Steel.

It's extremely icky feeling paying $10-20 more for the same game.

Jeffrey

It's also on a last-gen console, which likely is the determining factor on the price matching.

i recall odin sphere was $50 on ps3, which is still hilarious because it ran 1080p 60fps like the $60 ps4 version.

I don't mind games not being cross-buy, but the exact game feature wise being priced differently on different systems idk. I can understand the business decision but still pretty lame.

Top Bottom