• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Ah, that helps a ton. Thanks. Guess I'll make the final push through my save and jump back in if I can just blast through it.

One last question: is there any new content in NG+?

Besides all the Bonding Event you surely missed during the initial playthrough, there's this minor, NG+ exclusive cutscene you can potentially get during the Final Chapter. Nothing really big.

Stuart444

Wait, the EU version is confirmed to come a couple of months late? Well that's a no-brainer then, gonna order a US copy from VG+ again when I get home. Hope I'll be able to finish Deus Ex MD before September 6th.

I'd do that (even though I want to support the series here, I'd double dip >.>) but I want to make sure my EU save transfers to CSII.

Grr, it's going to be an annoying wait. :(

Besides all the Bonding Event you surely missed during the initial playthrough, there's this minor, NG+ exclusive cutscene you can potentially get during the Final Chapter. Nothing really big.

Might be a small scene but it's a nice one to see anyway.

Cold Steel Final Chapter spoiler:
Choose Emma when asked who you want to come with you on the bike ride. If you haven't seen the normal non NG+ scene, look it up on youtube but it's a cool scene to see anyway.

Sera O

Banned
Will an US copy of the sequel recognize someone else's clear save when importing data? I finished an EU copy and will import the sequel.

This is a late response but maybe this info will be useful to someone - from what I tried last night it looks like a save made on a region 3 copy (Asia) loaded fine with a region 1 copy (US/Canada). Vita version.

I was traveling at the time CS1 came out, so I got a physical Vita copy in the Philippines (Region 3) to play it right away, even though I had a North American copy to be delivered too. I bit the bullet last night and opened the NA Region 1 copy to check if it would recognize my save. The completed clear file I made playing the Region 3 copy loaded up just fine, with my level, items, quartz and other new game plus stuff.

I can't speak about the Europe version and US version save compatibility, but you never know.

Lusankya

Wait, the EU version is confirmed to come a couple of months late? Well that's a no-brainer then, gonna order a US copy from VG+ again when I get home. Hope I'll be able to finish Deus Ex MD before September 6th.

First one was one month late.
Second one is two months late.

It all makes sense. :(

Stuart444

This is a late response but maybe this info will be useful to someone - from what I tried last night it looks like a save made on a region 3 copy (Asia) loaded fine with a region 1 copy (US/Canada). Vita version.

I was traveling at the time CS1 came out, so I got a physical Vita copy in the Philippines (Region 3) to play it right away, even though I had a North American copy to be delivered too. I bit the bullet last night and opened the NA Region 1 copy to check if it would recognize my save. The completed clear file I made playing the Region 3 copy loaded up just fine, with my level, items, quartz and other new game plus stuff.

I can't speak about the Europe version and US version save compatibility, but you never know.

if someone EU replies next month saying that their EU clear save worked with an NA version. I might just buy the US version digitally and get the EU physically in November.

September is a better time for me than November.

But whatever happens, happens. I hope someone will have tried it and let other EU folks know on the day it releases (if digital) or soon after. ;_;

aravuus

I converted Yu's EU save into a US one, my US copy only recognized it after the conversion. This was on a PS3, though, maybe Vita is different. Either way, don't count on saves working cross-region, but keep in mind that there are a bunch of different tools for PC that you can use to modify PS3 saves, change regions and account IDs, cheat etc.

I'd do that (even though I want to support the series here, I'd double dip >.>) but I want to make sure my EU save transfers to CSII.

Grr, it's going to be an annoying wait. :(

Yeh, I'm planning on double dipping. I really, really want the Crossbell games localized.

Gu4n

if someone EU replies next month saying that their EU clear save worked with an NA version. I might just buy the US version digitally and get the EU physically in November.

September is a better time for me than November.

But whatever happens, happens. I hope someone will have tried it and let other EU folks know on the day it releases (if digital) or soon after. ;_;
Let me rain on your parade prematurely: the save files are not cross-region compatible. As Muntu says, it is possible to tinker with the save files to force a different region (or user) on them. This goes for PS3 save files; HENkaku might prove the same possible for Vita.

Yeh, I'm planning on double dipping. I really, really want the Crossbell games localized.
You understand.

Still making my way through chapter 4, currently in the old school house.
This game has very nice music.
I've been spending bonding points on characters that aren't party members (like Sara because I like her), am I "wasting" them considering there's no gameplay benefit? I'm assuming I wont have time to do them all, but on the other hand these events aren't the only way to raise the link level.

zakujanai

I've been spending bonding points on characters that aren't party members (like Sara because I like her), am I "wasting" them considering there's no gameplay benefit? I'm assuming I wont have time to do them all, but on the other hand these events aren't the only way to raise the link level.

I did that too, spent my free time with Crow and Sara whenever it let me because they're both awesome and I desperately wanted them in the party. There is a reason to increase their link level (invisible as it is) for a point right at the very end but I guess it's not as advantageous as the party members. I got most of those to level 5 anyway though so really just spend the time with the characters you're interested in, there's always ng+ to catch up on the others if you want to (as I'm trying to now).

Many bonding events add to the character notebook as you learn more about them. When it comes to waisting them not really, without spoiling anything getting enough events with those npcs does give you options later on for events with those characters.

Cornbread78

I should have soent more tine with Sara, so I could see if there is a proper "sensei" route in this game, lol. Oh well, Towa, Alisha, Emma and Laura get most of my time, lol.

varkuriru

Oh boy - thats what I get for not paying attention:

Boss in later part of CH5 - everything going well; delaying turns and debuffing, enemies have less than 50% HP.

My party has full hp

Boss fires off S-craft.. It was a critical turn

Game over.

aravuus

Uhh... how do you change the region of PS3 Saves? I mean if it's possible and it will work for CSII, I may just do that.

Use a tool called bruteforce save data for example. You can find a couple of written/video tutorials by googling 'bruteforce save data change region' or something to that effect. You can move your save files between your PS3 and PC with a FAT32-formatted USB drive.

It might seem complicated, but it's not hard to do. You don't really have to even know what you're doing since you're just following tutorials.

Yu Narukami

I converted Yu's EU save into a US one, my US copy only recognized it after the conversion. This was on a PS3, though, maybe Vita is different. Either way, don't count on saves working cross-region, but keep in mind that there are a bunch of different tools for PC that you can use to modify PS3 saves, change regions and account IDs, cheat etc.
3JkjZhK.jpg

Eylos

Banned
i need to find time to finish my 2nd playthrough

i'm at the end of the 3rd chapter, and i gotta say gaius is awesome, I hope that in the second game he is given more development than in the first =/

Gu4n

i need to find time to finish my 2nd playthrough

i'm at the end of the 3rd chapter, and i gotta say gaius is awesome, I hope that in the second game he is given more development than in the first =/
I read this a lot, but don't see the necessity of Gaius' development. He's unique in the sense that he lives happily together with both his parents and siblings, enjoys nature and get along with everyone. No traumatic background story, no unrealistic ambitions. Just a guy who likes the wind.

But to answer your question: no, he won't get any noteworthy development in the sequel. And he doesn't need it, since everything that makes him so interesting is already in the first game.

CSX

Been trucking through this game after finishing TiTs FC and SC.

Just went a little farther ahead after gaining two new party members.

They fixed my major issue with the combat from TiTs. Fast paced turns AND skippable animations!

It's really jarring though when characters go from voiced lines to non-voiced lines in the middle of the same cutscene :\

I need the subtitle for CSII OT to be "MY TURN!!" lol

Stuart444

Use a tool called bruteforce save data for example. You can find a couple of written/video tutorials by googling 'bruteforce save data change region' or something to that effect. You can move your save files between your PS3 and PC with a FAT32-formatted USB drive.

It might seem complicated, but it's not hard to do. You don't really have to even know what you're doing since you're just following tutorials.

Awesome, ty. Might do that and hope that the digital US version works okay with it.

It will be cool to play through CSII now having played FC/SC/CS (when before, I only played CS and wasn't even planning on touching the Sky games before CSII but plans changed XD)

Can't wait.

I also watched the Japanese Sen No Kiseki 2 trailer (the one that's 4 minutes long), it makes me even more hyped. So awesome <3

preta

I also watched the Japanese Sen No Kiseki 2 trailer (the one that's 4 minutes long), it makes me even more hyped. So awesome <3

Nooooo

Falcom's longer trailers (that is, longer than just a teaser) are often pretty spoilery, and that one also uses the final boss theme as its music (if you care about musical spoilers).

Stuart444

and that one also uses the final boss theme as its music (if you care about musical spoilers).

I wouldn't know that if you didn't tell me :p

Honestly, it's a lot of stuff without context so I'm okay with it. I'm only glad that I avoided it before I finished Cold Steel XD.

Seriously, the trailer is hype to me! Can't wait.

omgfloofy

Banned
Honestly, it's a lot of stuff without context so I'm okay with it. I'm only glad that I avoided it before I finished Cold Steel XD.

This is important to emphasize!

It's really, really hard to do anything to talk about Sen II/Cold Steel II without talking about the spoilers of the first game. This is because of its ending and CS2 is ALL about the new paradigm shift caused in the first game's ending.

Hikami

Finally started my replay of this. Only gonna do a story refresh though so I won't burn out since CSII is so close.

Korigama

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II |OT| Class Reunion
I had one in mind, but I suppose it might be too spoilery.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II |OT|
War Were Declared

If so, then I have no objections to the one already suggested.

Yu Narukami

I had one in mind, but I suppose it might be too spoilery.

War Were Declared

If so, then I have no objections to the one already suggested.
Technically is Class Reunion a spoiler too. But I don't mind.

Let's be civil about this war

I ate crow in the first one

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II |OT|Thanos is the Grandmaster

LProtag

So I have Trails in the Sky FC and SC, and was 10 hours or so into FC, but it really didn't grab me. I picked this up and it kinda pulled me in a lot more, and since I'm starting the school year soon I'm not going to have as much time for games, so I think I'm just skipping to this right away. I realize there will be a ton of spoilers and stuff for FC and SC if I go back and play them, but oh well.

I heard that data transfers over to Trails of Cold Steel II, do I need to focus on stuff like academic points and analyzing every monster, getting every chest, etc.? Or will I not really miss out on too much if I don't. I'm not the biggest fan of always using a wiki to play a game.

Gu4n

So I have Trails in the Sky FC and SC, and was 10 hours or so into FC, but it really didn't grab me. I picked this up and it kinda pulled me in a lot more, and since I'm starting the school year soon I'm not going to have as much time for games, so I think I'm just skipping to this right away. I realize there will be a ton of spoilers and stuff for FC and SC if I go back and play them, but oh well.

I heard that data transfers over to Trails of Cold Steel II, do I need to focus on stuff like academic points and analyzing every monster, getting every chest, etc.? Or will I not really miss out on too much if I don't. I'm not the biggest fan of always using a wiki to play a game.
It's okay to skip ahead to Cold Steel, and go back to FC and SC whenever time allows it. You're not missing out too much by just playing without walkthrough. You might even enjoy it more that way. :)

So I'm at
Lady Laura's home town
right now in the story. How much further do i need to go?

How many more hours are left approximately.

If you don't mind missing non-critical things, you're fine. Just play it and enjoy.

So replaying the game with CS2 coming out in the next few weeks (and I need to refresh myself for a few videos I'm going to make for my youtube channel) and god I love this game. Currently in Chapter 3 just about to head to the
nord highlands
and man I just love all the minor characters in this game, the Twins are so freaking funny Vivi is the best troll ever
(When she sets up the bet that the person who scores lower on the exam has to wear a bikini and she knows she'll lose but shes just going to pretend to be Linde anyway, just genius when Linde finds out the plan XD)
Also I wanted to bring up Gaius again as I know a lot of people were mentioning on here that they didn't like him but I think one of the best moments in the game in before you head to the highlands...
When Patrick is being a dick and he challenges you to a fight, theres this really nice moment where everyone wants to punch his stupid face in and is proclaiming how much better nobles are and blah blah blah but its not Rean, Jusis or Laura who actually shuts him up, its Gaius turning what Patrick says about nobles right back on him.
In general I think Gaius character is just more subtle then others, hes somewhat of a quiet character but acts more noble then most of the actual nobles in the game do which I think is part of his charm.

In general though I just love the whole cast of this game and god I can't wait until CS2.

Stuart444

It's okay to skip ahead to Cold Steel, and go back to FC and SC whenever time allows it. You're not missing out too much by just playing without walkthrough. You might even enjoy it more that way. :)

This ^

I started with Cold Steel then went back to FC and am now on CH2 on SC.

In a way, you get reverse references from stuff you may recognize from Cold Steel. It's quite fun actually. You also don't really get spoiled the plot on it. Just a few things but the plot and how it works out, you don't really get spoiled on.

I must say (SPOILERS for FC/SC/CS aka don't quote this post unless you've gotten to the end of Cold Steel and CH2 or more in SC):

I now wonder what people thought when they first saw Bleublanc in Cold Steel. I had no idea who he really was since I hadn't played FC/SC so I enjoyed finding out as CS went on but I imagine it was a "Ah, It's Phantom Thief B" type of moment for those who have finished the Sky games.

While for me while playing FC and seeing the side quest with Phantom Thief B and then facing him in SC. I knew who Phantom Thief B was right away so in a way, it was a reference for me coming from Cold Steel.

Kinda cool regardless of if you do FC/SC first or Cold Steel first.

Agreed on basically everything. Gaius is pretty cool though even if his fascination with the wind in almost every sentence is odd :p

Top Bottom