• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Nyoro SF

People didn't dislike Gaius. They were commentating how invisible he is and when he does speak, largely relies on wind shenanigans.

Laura is way more visible in the story and in character to character moments. Plus she wields a giant sword, so it's sort of like cheating! :p

I did that too, spent my free time with Crow and Sara whenever it let me because they're both awesome and I desperately wanted them in the party. There is a reason to increase their link level (invisible as it is) for a point right at the very end but I guess it's not as advantageous as the party members. I got most of those to level 5 anyway though so really just spend the time with the characters you're interested in, there's always ng+ to catch up on the others if you want to (as I'm trying to now).

Many bonding events add to the character notebook as you learn more about them. When it comes to waisting them not really, without spoiling anything getting enough events with those npcs does give you options later on for events with those characters.

I see, thanks.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My only beef with Gaius is that he is an awesome character who doesn't get to shine at all. Kind of like Agate and Olivier in FC in that regard, only instead of not being there for 90% of the game he's there but doesn't do anything

Bladenic

My only beef with Gaius is that he is an awesome character who doesn't get to shine at all. Kind of like Agate and Olivier in FC in that regard, only instead of not being there for 90% of the game he's there but doesn't do anything

He was a mainstay in my party until later on, and I really liked him as a character. I wonder if he'll have more to do and say in CS2. I mean, he did still have a chapter built around him and his homeland.

Edit: also Gaius/Wind is practically an official ship

preta

The thing about Gaius is that there are some potentially interesting things going on with him in the background, but without 3rd/Ao you wouldn't notice. I have faith that he will eventually have his time in the spotlight.

Hatsuu

XSEED

I really like Gaius as a character since he's so well adjusted. In general, I kinda like that Falcom doesn't always give the spotlight to every single character just because they're present, though. A character may show up and be introduced, barely have anything to do with the story or the games they're in--maybe they're brought up once in a while in conversations or something outside of that, but that's it--then they suddenly become relevant because that's when they actually need to be relevant. Except, like, instead of only being introduced when relevant, they're already an established character who doesn't feel thrown in for kicks and then forgotten once their role is finished. Makes everyone, even minor characters, feel less like plot devices, I guess? I think Trails in general manages to do this pretty well even with their story elements, so when a character doesn't seem to stand out, I kinda tend to look at it as "they're not relevant yet and their time to shine will come" or...something. Obviously isn't meant to be with every character, and I'm fine with that as well.

That little ramble doesn't directly relate to Gaius or anything--just for of a thought for the Trails series and how it handles its less prominent characters in general.

Psxphile

O3zP2ny.jpg

omgfloofy

Banned
I have faith that he will eventually have his time in the spotlight.

I believe so too. Having him introduced, knowing his background and his family now makes it easier for when things that I suspect will happen involving him actually take affect. It'll be easier to fully understand and sympathize without having to do it all in a rush.

You can argue the same about Laura but most people tend to love Laura.

I'd say the biggest difference between Gaius and Laura is that Laura does get fleshed out a lot more. We learn a lot about her dedication to her training and her ambitions for her future, we see her show more stubbornness and flaws, particularly with
her feud with Fie
, and we wind up seeing a really different side of her when we visit her hometown.

Gaius, on the other hand, we see very little of during the game. Outside of his one chapter, he mostly gets very little development. I think he's a nice guy, and I certainly don't want him to just have some sort of tragic backstory or anything, but I just wish we learned more about him and saw him grow more as a character. The moments he does get are genuinely great, and made me like him quite a bit. I just wish we got more of his outsider perspective on the empire, learned more about what his hopes for the future are, and maybe saw him struggling a bit more with things or having places where his outsider status got him into hot water or something.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
His relationship with General Guy was really interesting and feels like it can go somewhere, based off my limited knowledge of localized games.

I feel really bad for not remembering his name. I'm usually good with names.

I think Gaius was alright in CS. I mean, I liked him, both in the story and on the field of battle. No, he didn't do much, and yes, I'd like him to contribute more and talk about wind less, but at the end of the day those are minor nitpicks. He had a story arc and he was never forced into the story just to be there, like so many RPGs do with their playable characters. Golden Sun is the worst offender (everyone needs to get a say in every scene, leading to massively fluffy dialogue) but almost every RPG with a team of members falls into this trap, so I'm willing to forgive a good character getting somewhat sidelined in favor of more believable writing.

omgfloofy

Banned
My reaction when people keep the discussion going in a cycle, again, ignoring when even an XSEED staffer stepped in to offer a different view of the character....

jcPLDxV.gif

I've seen this come up multiple times, and I've seen people get ignored over it every time.

Every time this has come up, I have said the same thing Hatsuu just said- this is because I highly suspect that Falcom's introducing Gaius for something else later on in the future. Easier to get his background going now rather than cram it all in later.

EDIT:
Spoiler: the last time Hatsuu posted on here was six months ago, too.

My reaction when people keep the discussion going in a cycle, again, ignoring when even an XSEED staffer stepped in to offer a different view of the character....

jcPLDxV.gif

I've seen this come up multiple times, and I've seen people get ignored over it every time.

Every time this has come up, I have said the same thing Hatsuu just said- this is because I highly suspect that Falcom's introducing Gaius for something else later on in the future. Easier to get his background going now rather than cram it all in later.

There's not much to ignore, it's just not all that relevant to what was done with his character in CS1.

"A character doesn't get much plot development in game #1 because he probably has a bigger role in game #whatever," isn't relevant to the discussion?

Okay. Sure.

Saying he may be important in some unreleased game isn't going to change how people think about him in the one they've actually played. Are people not allowed to discuss the game this thread is about now? Why this bothers you I cannot understand.

jcPLDxV.gif

Well, there's not a whole lot to say on that subject. I agree with the point that this is something that Falcom do quite well in general, in terms of having their characters around for a long time before they become relevant. And maybe this is something they're planning for Gaius (without the games that haven't been localized, I can't really speculate as to what that is, since apparently most of the hints for that come from other games).

But until that moment comes, all we can do is speculate about things, or say what we'd like to see from Gaius. I think most people just really want to see more of Gaius (because he's a cool character and a likable guy). Since he hasn't taken center stage yet, everyone is really having the same discussion, because "I think Falcom have interested Gaius early for some planned storyline later on" and "I'd like to see Gaius get more development and take a greater role in the story" are really largely points that agree with one another.

omgfloofy

Banned
Why this bothers you I cannot understand.

What bothers me is that this isn't wanting a discussion, it's wanting a circlejerk. When people provide a discussion, you don't just ignore comments about the subject completely, acting like they were never made in the first place. To me, all it looks like is you're looking for people to validate your own worries and to hell with the people who have a different viewpoint.

But until that moment comes, all we can do is speculate about things, or say what we'd like to see from Gaius. I think most people just really want to see more of Gaius (because he's a cool character and a likable guy).

This is the reason why I keep bringing it up. I would like discussion, but each time it comes up, it becomes pretty clear to me that people don't want the same kind of discussion. This is actually something that people who have followed the English and Japanese releases can actually discuss together for once, since there's still stuff going on.

What bothers me is that this isn't wanting a discussion, it's wanting a circlejerk. When people provide a discussion, you don't just ignore comments about the subject completely, acting like they were never made in the first place. To me, all it looks like is you're looking for people to validate your own worries and to hell with the people who have a different viewpoint.

This is the reason why I keep bringing it up. I would like discussion, but each time it comes up, it becomes pretty clear to me that people don't want the same kind of discussion. This is actually something that people who have followed the English and Japanese releases can actually discuss together for once, since there's still stuff going on.

There's little to discuss over it because it's based on knowledge that English players don't have yet. The bitterness here is real bizarre.

omgfloofy

Banned
There's little to discuss over it because it's based on knowledge that English players don't have yet. The bitterness here is real bizarre.

Oh, there's plenty of stuff about him in CS1 that you can jump onto for discussion without looking at CS2. I already had tons of suspicions all over the place of him when I finished CS1. The game's not going to point out everything to you and hand it on a silver platter.

Well, it seems to me that most of us who have only played the English games don't have a lot to go on, seeing as most of the time people bring up the future role of Gaius, it's usually accompanied with "you'd only pick up on this if you've played the 3rd or Ao".

About all we really have to go on just based on the western releases is
Gaius seems to have some sort of reaction to areas where the higher elements are active
, which is potentially interesting, but I don't know if I can really speculate too much about that without knowing anymore about what that actually means (maybe once the 3rd is released over here I can formulate a theory on that).

SolVanderlyn

"A character doesn't get much plot development in game #1 because he probably has a bigger role in game #whatever," isn't relevant to the discussion?

Okay. Sure.
I don't think anyone is arguing against this. I'm certainly not. A lot of us can only speak for what happens in this game. If anything, I'm glad to hear he might have a bigger role down the line.

omgfloofy

Banned
About all we really have to go on just based on the western releases is
Gaius seems to have some sort of reaction to areas where the higher elements are active
, which is potentially interesting, but I don't know if I can really speculate too much about that without knowing anymore about what that actually means (maybe once the 3rd is released over here I can formulate a theory on that).

I've seen other people who have only played the English games also pick up things like (CS1 chp 5 spoilers)
what happened with him at the Nosferatu battle. Did you know that, regardless of your party makeup, he's the only one that's unaffected by it, too? The first time I did the fight, I thought he was back with the kids because he wasn't active in the party- but even switching it around with him being active in the party still puts him away from the other fighters.

There really are a lot of small and subtle things with him to look for in CS. While the overall theory about him definitely plays off of at least knowing about stuff in 3rd, I've seen most of the clues (with the exception of one) towards the big theory are all things that have been picked up on by English-only players.

Thoraxes

This ^

I started with Cold Steel then went back to FC and am now on CH2 on SC.

In a way, you get reverse references from stuff you may recognize from Cold Steel. It's quite fun actually. You also don't really get spoiled the plot on it. Just a few things but the plot and how it works out, you don't really get spoiled on.

I must say (SPOILERS for FC/SC/CS aka don't quote this post unless you've gotten to the end of Cold Steel and CH2 or more in SC):

I now wonder what people thought when they first saw Bleublanc in Cold Steel. I had no idea who he really was since I hadn't played FC/SC so I enjoyed finding out as CS went on but I imagine it was a "Ah, It's Phantom Thief B" type of moment for those who have finished the Sky games.

While for me while playing FC and seeing the side quest with Phantom Thief B and then facing him in SC. I knew who Phantom Thief B was right away so in a way, it was a reference for me coming from Cold Steel.

Kinda cool regardless of if you do FC/SC first or Cold Steel first.
Be sure to watch the last chapter or so of Cold Steel after you beat SC if possible, before going into CS2.

You'll be surprised at how different you'll interpret some of the dialogue and events that happen at the end of CS. My perspective on the events at the end of CS did a 180.

I've seen other people who have only played the English games also pick up things like
what happened with him at the Nosferatu battle.

There really are a lot of small and subtle things with him to look for in CS. While the overall theory about him definitely plays off of at least knowing about stuff in 3rd, I've seen most of the clues (with the exception of one) towards the big theory are all things that have been picked up on by English-only players.

Yeah, I remember noticing that, too. I'll see if I pick up on anything else during my replay I'm doing right now. But from what I've seen, I'm just not sure if I can necessarily pick up on what all of that means beyond "there's something going on here".

A developed character doesn't need development. That makes him boring to most, and unique to me.

More development can always help a character, though. Gaius certainly doesn't need any sort of tragedy in his life or world-shattering events. But I think it would be nice to just get to know him a little more, see his reactions to more things, see him interact with a wider swath of characters, explore his outsider status to a greater extent (
the moment he has when Patrick is trying to stir up shit is great, for example
), etc.

All of that would be "development", even if it wouldn't be changing his character at all. That's the sort of stuff I'd like to see more of from Gaius. More scenes where the culture clash he has plays into the story, more delving into his spiritual beliefs, given how important they clearly are to him, and some scenes with him interacting with more people and seeing what other sort of relationships he has.

Gu4n

But that's in there, just not pronounced - just the way he is. Take, for example, chapter 5.
As soon as Nosferatu appears, he jumps back to protect the children.
No attention is drawn to that action, but it's certainly there. Powerful on its own, meaningful in light of the series as a whole.

I really like Gaius as a character since he's so well adjusted. In general, I kinda like that Falcom doesn't always give the spotlight to every single character just because they're present, though. A character may show up and be introduced, barely have anything to do with the story or the games they're in--maybe they're brought up once in a while in conversations or something outside of that, but that's it--then they suddenly become relevant because that's when they actually need to be relevant. Except, like, instead of only being introduced when relevant, they're already an established character who doesn't feel thrown in for kicks and then forgotten once their role is finished. Makes everyone, even minor characters, feel less like plot devices, I guess? I think Trails in general manages to do this pretty well even with their story elements, so when a character doesn't seem to stand out, I kinda tend to look at it as "they're not relevant yet and their time to shine will come" or...something. Obviously isn't meant to be with every character, and I'm fine with that as well.

That little ramble doesn't directly relate to Gaius or anything--just for of a thought for the Trails series and how it handles its less prominent characters in general.
Exactly. Like I said before, Gaius could very well be the protagonist of Cold Steel III, for which the first two games merely served as introduction to him.

There are many characters like these throughout the series. Journalist Nielsen comes to mind immediately.

I have no doubt that Falcom will do something substantial with Gaius. They take the Chekhov's Gun approach more than any other JRPG storyteller I've seen. Everything is important and will be paid off.

I'm just taking a wait and see approach, just like I did between FC and SC, though that wait wasn't all that pleasant...

A developed character doesn't need development.

Eh, people aren't asking for him to have a tragic past and a bunch of drama. I'd have liked some more character interactions from him and less time spent as background scenery. I liked Gaius fine, he just didn't have enough moments spread through the game.

But that's in there, just not pronounced - just the way he is. Take, for example, chapter 5.
As soon as Nosferatu appears, he jumps back to protect the children.
No attention is drawn to that action, but it's certainly there. Powerful on its own, meaningful in light of the series as a whole.

Sure, it's in there.

Just to a much lesser extent than the rest of class VII. Gaius is the character who we spend the least amount of time with, and so we see the smallest amount of that stuff.

I think when most people say they want more development from Gaius, they just mean more of that sort of content. More of a chance to get to know him and see how he interacts with people.

Not a desire for a "nothing will ever be the same again" moments.

omgfloofy

Banned
All of that would be "development", even if it wouldn't be changing his character at all. That's the sort of stuff I'd like to see more of from Gaius. More scenes where the culture clash he has plays into the story, more delving into his spiritual beliefs, given how important they clearly are to him, and some scenes with him interacting with more people and seeing what other sort of relationships he has.

He's basically treated like an outsider from much of the students there- and I think that explains how he ends up doing a lot of solitary things you see in the game- especially like him being in the art club and so forth. You can pick up on his spiritual beliefs by tracking him down and talking to him, too. Like you can find him praying at the cathedral in Trista at the start of the game.

Gaius is the sort of character that doesn't like rocking the boat, though. He isn't going to cause conflict if he can help it, so why would Falcom shoehorn that in to get him development in that area? We already know that he's a quiet, reserved character, when compared to other Class VII members. And not all of the character development is going to happen in the main story. A lot of his development will probably come from you doing the legwork to track him down.

This has been the case with this series since the first game. They visually changed the game, but that doesn't mean that the game's storytelling style is going to change too much.

Gu4n

Eh, people aren't asking for him to have a tragic past and a bunch of drama. I'd have liked some more character interactions from him and less time spent as background scenery. I liked Gaius fine, he just didn't have enough moments spread through the game.
Me too. Fortunately, the arc isn't over yet.

omgfloofy

Banned
Me too. Fortunately, the arc isn't over yet.

AXSI1Qm.jpg

As a general statement, I think that the thing that frustrates me about this and the other character discussions in this thread specifically is that I've been in discussions of a continuously-told series on multiple occasions. I mean, I suppose this may be the case of people in gaming, since Falcom's kind of taking a really different approach to telling a story than most other game series. None of them are serialized in this manner.

But I've been in book clubs where we've read sci-fi and fantasy novels that were 6-7 (or more) volumes in length, and not once did anyone in those groups assume that a character is exactly who they are, 100%, from that first story alone, and that's exactly what I'm getting from everyone's posts in this thread. Or looking at a TV series- you can't say that what you know in season 1 of Lost will still be relevant by the time season 2 ends.

This is the case that I'm trying to get at, they're looking at this from a serialized standpoint, and thus all the characters are being written in such a manner. I keep bringing up Estelle in here all the time, and I've even seen someone new to FC in another thread prove my point by saying how much he hated Estelle and couldn't play FC because of her.

Rean in CS1 is a different character than Rean in CS2, and will very likely be very different in the future there. Because character growth is not static, it's a dynamic thing that is constantly happening in a serialized story, and it's part of what makes the sequels so exciting- and hearing about one of the previous characters showing up again. It really makes you want to see how they've changed in the time, and see what kind of new changes they'll experience over that period of time.

I get so frustrated at this 'debate' (can we even call it a debate at this point?) because instead of promoting character discussion (which is THE BEST part of this kind of series), it's basically promoting a stagnant circlejerk, where everyone is just repeating the same things over and over and never once talking about what they could see from the future, or even want to see from the future.

You guys have admitted that you want to see growth from Gaius- yeah. Then what kind of growth do you want to see out of him?

Since I know there are people who will want this---
tl;dr: instead of going in circles, talking about the same thing over and over with the latest character of the day/week, maybe actually discuss the character?

I don't know. I think the fact that he doesn't have have or seek out those moments is an important part of his characterization.

Not every character has to have a big personality. I think having issue with Gaius not taking center stage is having an issue with the character himself, since a big part of his characterization is being the kind of person who doesn't call attention to himself. At least so far.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I think the way Kiseki does that adds a lot of depth to the world. Not everyone needs a clearly defined character arc within a game. Especially in Kiseki as most of their stories don't begin or end within the scope of one game. You know, like real people. lol

So idk these Gaius complaints always seem weird to me. Especially with how much identifying tropes occurs in the criticism of Japanese games/media while generally being framed as a bad thing. People are quick to point and groan at the coming of age fantasy tropes, but at the same time seem to be bored when they aren't present.

I'm speaking generally here and exclusively in regards to Kiseki, but it's what the Gaius consensus makes me think of.

And now I'm sorry I even brought up Gaius again >.>

Seriously though, I love all of these characters they all mesh really really well. Sure the wind thing sounds weird but thats because hes the only person saying it. When people reference Aidios frequently no one seems to notice or be bothered at all by it, when its basically the same thing as Gaius referencing the wind, its only noticeable because no one else is doing it.

Hes a leveled, honest, caring, guy without any real family drama or hardships to overcome. He does have worries, he clearly overthinks things and worries about his family and the highlands, hes extremely quiet when the events of chapter 3 are unfolding and I think it shows how scared he actually is, hes terrified of his family and the highlands being swept up in a war ruining the peaceful life they have always enjoyed, he just never outright states it.

Again, his character is much more subtle then others, he doesn't give you an endless amount of dialog of what he feels and why like some of the other characters, you have to see him for the person he is to how he reacts to things, he doesn't need to have some over developed drama or family problems like the rest of the cast. He's a great character in his own right, and honestly I think its much easier to notice these kind of things in a second (or in my current case, third) play through when you remember all the major details and can spot the minor ones easier.

Stuart444

Be sure to watch the last chapter or so of Cold Steel after you beat SC if possible, before going into CS2.

You'll be surprised at how different you'll interpret some of the dialogue and events that happen at the end of CS. My perspective on the events at the end of CS did a 180.

Well I planned on replaying CS quickly if I have time after SC and before CSII so I'll keep that in mind.

I just got to CH3 on SC. Feels like I'm going slow doing one chapter a day but I'm also trying to do as many extra things, get all BP, chests, etc so that's probably part of it XD.

But yeah, I'll keep w hat you said in mind when I finish SC.

omgfloofy

Banned
And now I'm sorry I even brought up Gaius again >.>

Don't apologize. I love discussing Gaius as a whole, especially because he's never out in the forefront, and you really have to look for his quirks and so forth. He's actually one of my favorites from both CS and CS2.

Seriously though, I love all of these characters they all mesh really really well. Sure the wind thing sounds weird but thats because hes the only person saying it. When people reference Aidios frequently no one seems to notice or be bothered at all by it, when its basically the same thing as Gaius referencing the wind, its only noticeable because no one else is doing it.

Absolutely! Now, I do think the 'muh wind' jokes are utterly hilarious, but when you look beyond that, you can see that he has a very strong faith both in the Nord belief system of the wind, and in the beliefs of the Septian Church. As I said in my post, if you take the time to track him down, you can see lots of little things like this- like you can see him before the orientation in the prologue by going by the cathedral. He's in there praying.

Hes a leveled, honest, caring, guy without any real family drama or hardships to overcome. He does have worries, he clearly overthinks things and worries about his family and the highlands, hes extremely quiet when the events of chapter 3 are unfolding and I think it shows how scared he actually is, hes terrified of his family and the highlands being swept up in a war ruining the peaceful life they have always enjoyed, he just never outright states it.

This is why I love character discussions because I noticed him being quiet, but I didn't make the connection- but it makes total sense when put this way. And it makes a lot of sense when you're talking about a very faith driven character. I see it like he's afraid for his family and his land, but with someone who has a strong belief system, they can usually put faith over their fear, in hopes that- in Gaius' case- Aidios or the wind, or both, would protect them and see to their success. But it doesn't mean he's not afraid. A person with strong faith doesn't blindly shake off fear- they still experience it, but put in their hopes and what they believe in will see to things being okay in the end.

He's a great character in his own right, and honestly I think its much easier to notice these kind of things in a second (or in my current case, third) play through when you remember all the major details and can spot the minor ones easier.

This is one reason why I love doing multiple playthroughs of this series. Especially because you will start to see things that were in the foreshadowing that you never saw in the first place. (For example, one of the best treats ever is playing FC after finishing it once.)

As I was saying before, with a character that's more nuanced and subtle like Gaius is, you'll want to go out of your way to find out more about him. In my current playthrough, he's become my focus character for all of my link events. If he's available, I'll go see him- that sort of thing. I also love to track certain characters in the game, and follow what they're doing, even when they're not in link events. They don't disappear that way.

As a result, you get a lot better view of a character's personality- and especially in this way with Gaius.

AXSI1Qm.jpg

As a general statement, I think that the thing that frustrates me about this and the other character discussions in this thread specifically is that I've been in discussions of a continuously-told series on multiple occasions. I mean, I suppose this may be the case of people in gaming, since Falcom's kind of taking a really different approach to telling a story than most other game series. None of them are serialized in this manner.

But I've been in book clubs where we've read sci-fi and fantasy novels that were 6-7 (or more) volumes in length, and not once did anyone in those groups assume that a character is exactly who they are, 100%, from that first story alone, and that's exactly what I'm getting from everyone's posts in this thread. Or looking at a TV series- you can't say that what you know in season 1 of Lost will still be relevant by the time season 2 ends.

Well, people do form opinions on characters right away. Sometimes those opinions change later on. People have opinions on characters even from the first book in a 7 book series. Sometimes a character you hate in the first book you wind up loving later on. Other times a character you love at the beginning winds up stagnating. I can't say that I've seen people in this thread believing that they know 100% of what every character will be going forward. They just know what they are in CS1. And that's fair. After 100 hours with a game, you should have opinions on characters. Maybe they'll get uprooted in the next game; maybe they won't.

But for the next two and a half weeks, until the rest of us can play CS2, all we can judge most of these characters on is what we have in the first game. If someone says "I think Rean is a boring protagonist", they aren't saying "Rean is a boring protagonist, and nothing that could ever happen in a future game will ever change my mind". Maybe people go too far sometimes, but that's always the nature of discussions of these nature, especially online.

Rean in CS1 is a different character than Rean in CS2, and will very likely be very different in the future there. Because character growth is not static, it's a dynamic thing that is constantly happening in a serialized story, and it's part of what makes the sequels so exciting- and hearing about one of the previous characters showing up again. It really makes you want to see how they've changed in the time, and see what kind of new changes they'll experience over that period of time.

I get so frustrated at this 'debate' (can we even call it a debate at this point?) because instead of promoting character discussion (which is THE BEST part of this kind of series), it's basically promoting a stagnant circlejerk, where everyone is just repeating the same things over and over and never once talking about what they could see from the future, or even want to see from the future.

Yes, I'd like to see how those characters will change in the next game. I'm looking forward to that a lot.

But the thing is, there's been character discussion on this past page. It hasn't been a circlejerk. People have offered a lot of different opinions on Gaius (and none of them being "he sucks"), bringing up specific moments that they liked, talking about how they want to see more of him, etc. I'm not seeing the circlejerk here.

People usually talk about the same character because it is a discussion. When one person offers a talking point on a character, other people will wind up responding with their own thoughts on the character. Occasionally this can wind up turning into a fairly one-sided discussion (Elise is probably the most obvious example of this), but there's almost always multiple points of view.

You guys have admitted that you want to see growth from Gaius- yeah. Then what kind of growth do you want to see out of him?

Responding to this specifically, I don't know if I need to see massive personal growth from Gaius (he's already plenty mature, and he doesn't have massive issues to overcome); I'd just like to see more of him. I want to get his perspective on more things. I thought it was kind of a shame that in the first game they introduce this outsider character who could have very different views on everything to the rest of the cast, and then he's largely shoved to the side for most of the game outside of the section in his homeland. I want to see how Gaius interacts with Erebonian society more. I'm hopeful to see this sort of thing in CS2 some more.

The game introduces Gaius in the church, and we know that he's a fairly pious character, so I'd be interested in exploring that aspect of his character more in future games. Most of the cast, while they may be at least somewhat religious, don't seem particularly devout, so I think that would be something worth exploring (especially given how interesting this angle is). We see some of that in little bits of dialogue throughout the game, but I'd like to see more of that angle explored in the future.

It doesn't all need to be super in your face, of course. Those are just a couple of things I'd like to see more of from scenes with Gaius in the future, whether they come in main story scenes, sidequests, or whatever.

Stuart444

So what is everybody's favorite and least favorite party character?

From a gameplay or character perspective?

If Character: Hard to say, I like all of them too much

Gameplay wise: Laura and Rean are probably my favourites. I like Reans Sword style and Laura is a powerhouse. Least Favourite is a lot harder. Probably Machias or Jusis as they were my least used characters but even then, I still like them and their battle styles.

edit: with your edit, I guess you mean character wise XD. I'll keep what I put here though.

At a push though, my favourite would probably be Jusis and Alisa due to their respective home town chapters.

I feel like Elliot is kind of in a similar boat with Gaius.

From a character perspective entirely, I think Alisa and Fie are my favorites, with Jusis, Sara and Angelica close behind them. I do like pretty much all the major characters in the game, though. Rean was probably my least favorite member of Class VII, but I didn't hate him or anything. I just found him a bit on the bland side compared to some of the others.

Famassu

A developed character doesn't need development.
I don't think this is true. Or well... One might not need development, but there still needs to be something more interesting to a character than most of Gaius in CS1. While it's ok to have a well-developed character who isn't constantly going through some new melodramatic crisis that develops him/her further and it's ok to have some characters who take the backseat for a while, there's a reason why, say, a lot of TV writers try to mix up the status quo of as many characters season per season as possible, never letting central characters/protagonists even in larger ensembles stay put for too long once they and the audience have grown accustomed to whatever the current situation (sometimes it doesn't go well, but oftentimes it breathes new life into tv shows).

So while it's ok for Gaius to already be a well developed character and, for example, not be a part of Jusis & Machias' bickering, it would have been a bit more interesting if there had been something more to him in CS1 already (in a more noticeably way, not some more or less subtle "is something weird going on here" stuff).

It wouldn't even have to have been anything too dramatic, maybe just have his "I sense shit in the wind" speak rub someone the wrong way and create some schism between him and some other character or maybe just have some comic relief stuff come out of him always talking about the wind. Just something that would cause more interesting interactions with other characters. Maybe just show how he acts when alone with Sara (maybe do something funny like Gaius being able to flirt back so hard that Sara gets confused/flustered) and do stuff with that a few times throughout the game. Just something that makes you go "hey, there's more to this character than the wind"

Take someone like Angelica. As much as I dislike her character, she's a more active part of the story than Gaius. She is a similarly well-developed character already at the start of the game/when first introduced as Gaius, yet she still has a far more active role in the story, in many characters' lives and, yes, gets some development even though she isn't even a part of the main group. There's always room for growth for everyone.

TL;DR: While it's perhaps okay to NOT constantly develop every character, it's still better if said characters have something interesting to do in the story or even with just non main story related character interactions than to have them just be there not doing anything too interesting most of the time.

Slashlen

Sticking to the main initial roster, I think my favorite is Jusis. It's odd since I didn't expect to like him at first(I expected him to be like Patrick). But by the end of the game I had a very different impression of him. He seems more like a decent guy who has trouble expressing that because he takes his position very seriously and can't seem to drop that formality. Fie and Laura are also up there, but there's a penalty for annoying forced subplots.

My least favorite is Machias, and it's not because he fights with Jusis. I actually sided with him in that initial argument with Jusis, but the more he was around, the more he just seemed like a dick. And that part where he says he's mad because
Rean "lied"
and not because
Rean is technically nobility
is complete BS. If he knew that from the beginning he'd be treating that person the same way he was Jusis. He has his tragic backstory reveal, but it doesn't really help as he's still just a dick. He's the only one in the group I actually dislike.

I feel like Elliot is kind of in a similar boat with Gaius.

Laura in Top 1

Machias at the bottom ..

But i still like machias a LOT , so being at the bottom is not an issue. Millium would have been at the bottom if she didn't have such an amazing way to stun characters in battle.

zakujanai

Once I'd finished chapter 3 I felt almost like Gaius was done story-wise and stopped using him, never really remember noticing him again. I'm currently replaying and just got to that exact point, this heated debate has made me want to include him in my party whenever possible for the rest of the game now.

I didn't find him boring but his heart is with Nord. When he's talking about investigating the attack to protect Nord he really shines but once I was back in the Empire I feel like he lost his relevance. This may well be because I stopped including him though.

Problem now is who do I lose from my party? Laura and Emma are too useful, Crow and Fie too awesome. I never used Alisa when I didn't have to either, maybe she can get the last slot.

Top Bottom