• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

omgfloofy

Banned
I know gripe about people ignoring other things, and I was away from my computer for the past day and a half (I didn't expect a page and a half of stuff while I was gone!! rofl), so I don't want to do the same to people that I complain about. I apologize for the spam...

Well, people do form opinions on characters right away. Sometimes those opinions change later on. People have opinions on characters even from the first book in a 7 book series. Sometimes a character you hate in the first book you wind up loving later on.

Certainly, but people in the groups I've been in seem to show more inclination that the characters may change, instead of giving the impression that they're just the 'character to rage about this week' which seems to be the case in this thread.

But for the next two and a half weeks, until the rest of us can play CS2, all we can judge most of these characters on is what we have in the first game.

Then discuss what you think may happen to see such a change? I mean, this is all a 'same shit, different day/character' routine for this thread.

Commenting on the opinions isn't what frustrates me. It's the same people saying the same stuff every time a character comes up, regardless. That's not discussion at all.

Occasionally this can wind up turning into a fairly one-sided discussion (Elise is probably the most obvious example of this), but there's almost always multiple points of view.

Elisa, Towa, Millium, Rean... these conversations ALL come up repeatedly, and end up being the same thing every single time. From the same people. Every single time. Hell, even with the complaints about spoilers of CS2, people still have no qualms to start throwing in CS2 characters into this thread to complain about them, too, with even little more about them than just character artwork?

I thought it was kind of a shame that in the first game they introduce this outsider character who could have very different views on everything to the rest of the cast, and then he's largely shoved to the side for most of the game outside of the section in his homeland. I want to see how Gaius interacts with Erebonian society more. I'm hopeful to see this sort of thing in CS2 some more.

This is more of what I want to see instead of one sentence phrasing and stuff. Gaius spends a lot of his time in the 'other group' in CS1, and like I've said before, I think there's reason for it, too.

I think a big part of splitting the groups is because you can isolate characters who have that particular sense for the higher elements. (CS1 Chapter 4 Spoilers)
Look at the group makeup for when you hit the catacombs in Heimdallr- no one can make note of the higher elements being active there, so the characters who were there don't know about it, and thus can't bring it up for solving other situations in-game. I'm content that this is 100% intentional, especially when you read about Heimdallr in the myths and legends book in the library.

CS1 spoilers:
Gaius is one of the two characters in Class VII capable of this thing. (Emma being the obvious second.) We at least see a means to control this narrative aspect of the game.

Though I also think that this may be an affect of being the 6th game in the series, losing out on three games may have impacted this a bit more in an unfair manner, because of things that have been brought up in the series before.

There are a lot of times when I say that, though Falcom and XSEED have said that you can play the game without issue if you hadn't played the other games- but you miss out on smaller things. I think this is one of those 'smaller things.' I don't see Gaius as being the first time the 'outsider' thing has come up in the series before- not quite to that degree as he has with it, but it's happened.

Let me use this as an example of what I'm trying to say.... (CS1 chapter 4 spoilers):
I was watching a friend streaming Cold Steel in chapter 4 earlier today, and that whole scene with Olivier showing up in his white coat and with the lute- do you think if someone hadn't played FC/SC, that they'd fully get the meaning of that scene?
--the series, all the way through, is full of stuff like that.

It doesn't all need to be super in your face, of course. Those are just a couple of things I'd like to see more of from scenes with Gaius in the future, whether they come in main story scenes, sidequests, or whatever.

I think the important question is, is how many people here actually focused their following on him with their bond events? As much as I love Gaius, I actually didn't do that, so I've recently started up a playthrough to do that very thing.

So what is everybody's favorite and least favorite party character?

Gameplay-wise, Elliot. He's saved my ass so many times, including a now infamous 'Keanu Reeves' moment I had on my streaming channel.

TL;DR: While it's perhaps okay to NOT constantly develop every character, it's still better if said characters have something interesting to do in the story or even with just non main story related character interactions than to have them just be there not doing anything too interesting most of the time.

As I said in my post above, Gaius does have an extremely important, if really subtle, role in the game's narrative.

Kind of a mix between gypsies and Central Asian nomads.

I think I've heard someone compare the people from the highlands to be like the Mongols. Their yurts are very similar to the Monglian yurts, and the nomadic lifestyle that they had and so forth.

I'd forgotten how this is a game about
dead Mums.
Gaius is the only member of class vii with
two living parents (I'm assuming Rean's real parents are dead).
Why is nobody ever just divorced? Not tragic enough?

While it's not Cold Steel, it does come up in the Kiseki series, so it's not that it doesn't exist. I think in this case, it's a matter of Erebonia having been involved in some pretty violent events in recent times. It's still a very turbulent nation. I think, as cliche as it feels with the tragedy in the cast, it helps give most of the characters something to relate to with the rest of the events.

So did we ever find out how Cold Steel did sales wise?

XSEED doesn't release their numbers, so we don't have the ability to find out that information, unfortunately.

Certainly, but people in the groups I've been in seem to show more inclination that the characters may change, instead of giving the impression that they're just the 'character to rage about this week' which seems to be the case in this thread.

Then discuss what you think may happen to see such a change? I mean, this is all a 'same shit, different day/character' routine for this thread.

Commenting on the opinions isn't what frustrates me. It's the same people saying the same stuff every time a character comes up, regardless. That's not discussion at all.

For sure things can go in circles from time to time, and become a bit echo chamber-y. Some of that, I think, is down to the fact that we haven't really had anything new to add in. Someone's opinions when they finished the game 7 months ago are likely still to be their opinions today, but people keep having the same discussions, so it can sometimes feel a bit like re-runs. I'm hopeful that in two weeks we'll all be having some fresh discussions and can move past this.

I think there's also a certain element where if you hold an opinion, it tends to really cement itself in your head, even once you've stepped away from the game. So people remember "I thought Millium was a little annoying" from when they were playing the game, and six months later they remember "Man, Millium was obnoxious", because they haven't really been playing the game recently, so the most basic opinion has cemented itself.

I've been noticing on my replay that while Rean is still probably my least favorite of the main cast, he has a bit more personality than I had remembered, so I think I'm a bit guilty of this myself. I sort of remembered "Rean was kind of generic" and "Gaius wasn't around much" and let those feelings fester a bit in my mind over the past half year.

This is more of what I want to see instead of one sentence phrasing and stuff. Gaius spends a lot of his time in the 'other group' in CS1, and like I've said before, I think there's reason for it, too.

I think a big part of splitting the groups is because you can isolate characters who have that particular sense for the higher elements. (CS1 Chapter 4 Spoilers)
Look at the group makeup for when you hit the catacombs in Heimdallr- no one can make note of the higher elements being active there, so the characters who were there don't know about it, and thus can't bring it up for solving other situations in-game. I'm content that this is 100% intentional, especially when you read about Heimdallr in the myths and legends book in the library.

CS1 spoilers:
Gaius is one of the two characters in Class VII capable of this thing. (Emma being the obvious second.) We at least see a means to control this narrative aspect of the game.

Though I also think that this may be an affect of being the 6th game in the series, losing out on three games may have impacted this a bit more in an unfair manner, because of things that have been brought up in the series before.

There are a lot of times when I say that, though Falcom and XSEED have said that you can play the game without issue if you hadn't played the other games- but you miss out on smaller things. I think this is one of those 'smaller things.' I don't see Gaius as being the first time the 'outsider' thing has come up in the series before- not quite to that degree as he has with it, but it's happened.

Let me use this as an example of what I'm trying to say.... (CS1 chapter 4 spoilers):
I was watching a friend streaming Cold Steel in chapter 4 earlier today, and that whole scene with Olivier showing up in his white coat and with the lute- do you think if someone hadn't played FC/SC, that they'd fully get the meaning of that scene?
--the series, all the way through, is full of stuff like that.

Yeah, I can certainly see the reasons for leaving him out during certain moments such as Chapter 4, as you mention. I just sort of think it's a shame in general, because there are a lot of moments where I think his perspective would be interesting to get on the various workings of the society. That's just one of the things that when I think over the game more, that's what I would have wanted to see, and what I think could have given him a bit more of a presence in the overarching narrative.

And you're completely right about that one scene in Chapter 4.
My roommate watched me play through a good chunk of this game, and that scene meant nothing to her, aside from my reaction to it and mentioning that he was my favorite character from the Trails in the Sky games.

I think the important question is, is how many people here actually focused their following on him with their bond events? As much as I love Gaius, I actually didn't do that, so I've recently started up a playthrough to do that very thing.

I think I only did a couple of his my first time through. I'm going to try and get most/all of his bonding events this time if I can. I'm enjoying my second play through giving me a lot more freedom with my bonding events.

Thoraxes

I never even bother casting the higher arts with her. I gave her Criminal and leveled it up all the way so she has 90% crit rate with arts, a Fire Bell and then just cast the lower level fire bolt. She can cast upwards of 5 in a row. She's a boss killing machine. You can swap elements as you want but Criminal is godlike.

Arguably my favorite Master Quartz.

CSX

Just finished it and now preordering the sequel. Noticing a trend with these endings in this series lol

Certain parts of the game felt cheap such as the graphics, animations , and the bonding events. Then again, we have been spoiled with all the Persona 5 trailers lately. Plus, I believe this is the first 3D original Legend of Heroes game. Hopefully it will look a bit better in the sequel.

But man they fixed the battles entirely! Coming from Trails in the Sky and straight to this game was night and day! Fast paced battles and skippable animations was what I wanted as an improvement in the series and Cold Steel delivered both.

Came to really like the characters of Class VII though a bit of me feels a bit burned since this game often felt slow paced to accommodate for telling all these characters' backstories and brewing the conflict that sets up the sequel.

Can't believe I got both of these games for $30 each and my CS1 came with that artbook and box to hold both games :)

aravuus

Just pre-ordered CS2 from vgp, almost forgot about it somehow. Email says it ships on the release date, hope that's wrong since it's probably going to take a week or one and a half to get here.

Either way, I'm fucking ready.

DragonElm

Neo Member
I'm too restless to wait for the EU release, going to stick with the US pre-order. Will I miss much? or will trophies be affected if I don't have save data from the first game?

Gu4n

I'm too restless to wait for the EU release, going to stick with the US pre-order. Will I miss much? or will trophies be affected if I don't have save data from the first game?
You can probably justify for yourself whether a stat-boosting you don't need and 300 sepith are worth the wait. Story-wise nothing changes, bar some minor dialogue changes and NPC's recognising you.

Cornbread78

OK, seriously, WTF....

At the chapter 5 boss, cruising along, then all of a sudden
she rips off an S-Craft and kills the whole party in 1 shot
Seriously, WTF is up with that...

zakujanai

As much as I don't care for the rather pointless fallout in chapter 4, I absolutely love the monologue from Fie about her past. I'm not even sure if it's because it's the first time she really let's the others see her for who she is, or just because the writing and acting is so damn good.

Machias has a similar bit after this that's also pretty excellent, but he kind of got screwed having to follow that from Fie. This is from someone who actually likes Machias too.

As much as I don't care for the rather pointless fallout in chapter 4, I absolutely love the monologue from Fie about her past. I'm not even sure if it's because it's the first time she really let's the others see her for who she is, or just because the writing and acting is so damn good.

Machias has a similar bit after this that's also pretty excellent, but he kind of got screwed having to follow that from Fie. This is from someone who actually likes Machias too.

I agree with that, Machias is much more complicated then it first seems I was really expecting a rather bullshit reason for not liking nobles but was pretty surprised and understanding how his view could be warped from what he went through but it should have been the penultimate character event in Chapter 4 but instead thats Laura and Fie and his is relegated to a mid mission event which gets glossed over almost right after it ends... It's a pretty dark storyline in a normally lighthearted game so maybe they just didn't want to really get to much into the darker elements when the game is normally pretty light hearted all around.

On another note, got my first video done on Trails of Cold steel (I won't link here because I don't think thats allowed? not sure what the exact rule is on self promotion) but its easy enough to find just youtube my user name if you are interested, doing a second video next week which will be a spoiler talk, I'm approaching the end of the game in my third playthrough (Chapter 6 atm) and I'm planning to take notes so when I record it I can go over pretty much everything.

Stuart444

On another note, got my first video done on Trails of Cold steel (I won't link here because I don't think thats allowed? not sure what the exact rule is on self promotion) but its easy enough to find just youtube my user name if you are interested, doing a second video next week which will be a spoiler talk, I'm approaching the end of the game in my third playthrough (Chapter 6 atm) and I'm planning to take notes so when I record it I can go over pretty much everything.

I believe it's allowed as long as you don't create threads for self promotion. Posting a link to it in here is fine.

Squire

Banned
There's a guide to making an EU CS1 save into an NA one, right? Anyone have a link? Want to send it to a friend that recently played CS1, but doesn't want to wait for the sequel to release in Europe.

aravuus

There's a guide to making an EU CS1 save into an NA one, right? Anyone have a link? Want to send it to a friend that recently played CS1, but doesn't want to wait for the sequel to release in Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMy6qOP_rrI for bruteforce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBp0LtgI1M for for something called PS3 save resigner, tool I've never used

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/ps3-how-to-blank-out-a-save-and-change-region.962382/ written guide for bruteforce, I think you can skip the account blanking step if you want to

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f180/change-ps3-save-file-another-region-66818/#post922390 weird explanation on how to do it manually if you want to do it that way for some reason

Take your pick, I guess.

Squire

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMy6qOP_rrI for bruteforce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBp0LtgI1M for for something called PS3 save resigner, tool I've never used

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/ps3-how-to-blank-out-a-save-and-change-region.962382/ written guide for bruteforce, I think you can skip the account blanking step if you want to

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f180/change-ps3-save-file-another-region-66818/#post922390 weird explanation on how to do it manually if you want to do it that way for some reason

Take your pick, I guess.

Thank you!

Stuart444

Region codes can be found from gamefaqs' release info page for the game, here http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/694913-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel/data

Looks like EU is BLES02209 (retail)/NPEB-02353 (PS store), US is NPUB-31759 and I guess BLUS31572 since googling it gives me a bunch of links to torrents for the game lol. Doubt it matters which one you change it to (retail or PS store code).

If it matters, (ie ps store CS1 only works with PS store CSII), it'd only take a few minutes to change it again anyway.

But yeah, probably doesn't since some may get the PS Store version of one and the physical of the sequel or vice versa lol.

Shin-chan

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm going to hold on for a bit and see if NISA makes a surprising announcement between now and September, but if they don't I think I'll just import the US version.

I've got a long flight at the end of Sep so having this for it would be amazing.

aravuus

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm only talking about PS3 saves here. I have no idea if reassigning region codes and such is even possible on Vita.

If it matters, (ie ps store CS1 only works with PS store CSII), it'd only take a few minutes to change it again anyway.

But yeah, probably doesn't since some may get the PS Store version of one and the physical of the sequel or vice versa lol.

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to have digital/retail copies to have incompatible saves.

Shin-chan

Hmm can you do the save transfer without the PS3 version of the game?

I could then transfer my save, swap the region, then transfer it back to the vita. Maybe?

In chapter 5 (i think), one of the characters mentions the three strongest people in Erebonia, one of them being Victor S. Arseid. Who are the other two?

Gu4n

In chapter 5 (i think), one of the characters mentions the three strongest people in Erebonia, one of them being Victor S. Arseid. Who are the other two?
Laura says that she "would easily place him among the three strongest people in the Empire." I don't think she was referring to a specific ranking; it's mostly to underscore how strong he is.

And he's strong. Very strong.

Laura says that she "would easily place him among the three strongest people in the Empire." I don't think she was referring to a specific ranking; it's mostly to underscore how strong he is.

And he's strong. Very strong.

Thanks for answering! I actually have a few more questions... lol

Sara says that
"thanks to a dependable ally, (the bracers) were able to defeat the jaegers..."
Do we know who that is?

Also,
Why wasn't Gaius affected by the sphere's magic in the Lohengrin Castle?

thanks ^^

Kalor

Sara says that
Do we know who that is?

Also,

thanks ^^

Unless I'm thinking of something else the first answer is (Trails in the Sky)
Cassius Bright. He went to Erebonia to help the bracers when jaegers were attacking guild branches.

Psxphile

Sara says that
Do we know who that is?

If you've played Trails in the Sky FC, SC and The 3rd this will have seemed obvious.
The Jaeger assault on Erebonia's Bracer Guild was thwarted with the help of Cassius Bright, part of a calculated plan to get him out of Liberl Kingdom. At the beginning of FC this is what the letter he received at the beginning was about.

Gu4n

Sara says that
Do we know who that is?

Also,

thanks ^^
First question: that will be answered in Chapter 6. If you missed it, it's
Cassius Bright

Second question: because Gaius is special.

omgfloofy

Banned
Sara says that
Do we know who that is?

If you've played Trails in the Sky FC, SC and The 3rd this will have seemed obvious.
The Jaeger assault on Erebonia's Bracer Guild was thwarted with the help of Cassius Bright, part of a calculated plan to get him out of Liberl Kingdom. At the beginning of FC this is what the letter he received at the beginning was about.

First question: that will be answered in Chapter 6. If you missed it, it's
Cassius Bright

I'm adding to this. The event in 3rd was the first feature for the Translation Tuesday series I run on Endless History. If you don't mind seeing side-event stuff from 3rd before the game comes out, you can see it here:
http://www.esterior.net/2015/12/translation-tuesday-trails-in-the-sky-the-3rd-star-door-13/

Ah, I played FC and SC, but it seems I forgot about where and why
Cassius left.
. Must be time for a replay of those two games.

Thanks for answering, everyone. I'll check out that Translation Tuesday video as well. :)

Bladenic

Final dungeon now, woohoo. I thought about grinding to max out the last and only master Quartz I haven't mastered, Chevalier. But I think I'm good.

Question, how does CS2 file reading work? Does it read your most recently played file?

Gu4n

Final dungeon now, woohoo. I thought about grinding to max out the last and only master Quartz I haven't mastered, Chevalier. But I think I'm good.

Question, how does CS2 file reading work? Does it read your most recently played file?
It asks whether you want to read your clear data from the first game.

Eylos

Banned
now that i noticed some little things in my replay of cs 1:

that azure witch, she says "i think i know you from somwehere" "its really you isn't"

its just because that Rean is a awakener? or because of rean amnesia, and she really knows rean from old times?

And Also about the Iron blood chancelor i thinks there's some kind of connection between rean and him

And btw 13 days only guys =D

Cqef

But what if I have 2 clear datas? Eh it's no big deal, but on my first playthrough I had 100% quest and rank A0, but I missed a few quests on my Nightmare run.

I suspect it works in the same way the clear data from FC is used for SC on the PSP. It will simply ask you to choose which clear data you want to use.

aett

I picked this up again yesterday for the first time since January. I'm in chapter 2, in Bareahard. I... may need to stop and read all the tutorial stuff again because I don't even remember half of the systems in the game. The storyline reminded me about combat links, but then one of my master quartz leveled up after a battle and I didn't even remember that they could do that.

Bladenic

I suspect it works in the same way the clear data from FC is used for SC on the PSP. It will simply ask you to choose which clear data you want to use.

Good point.

Holy shit the final boss on Nightmare is just plain unfair. The spirit heal should at least heal you to full health, damn it. Any tips? I had him down to about 50k but then he staggered me again and used Deadly End.

omgfloofy

Banned
Holy shit the final boss on Nightmare is just plain unfair. The spirit heal should at least heal you to full health, damn it. Any tips? I had him down to about 50k but then he staggered me again and used Deadly End.

Guan's got a small guide on steps you can take. I'll leave him to link you to that one. But!

The first hint I'd personally offer is (final boss stuff!)
that Rean's level affects Valimar's HP at the end. Also, after Crow talks at the halfway point, his 'weak points' change (to his arms, I think). Also, try to keep that STR-SPD buff up and running. (I can't remember the name of it) --if you can use it twice, you get 50% up on both stats. (make sure you maintain it if you do that, so you don't have to do the double-use again.) Also, don't be afraid to experiment with Rean's other crafts in this fight. I got my final blow through one of them.

If you want to see my attempt to see my strategy to finish the final battle, I have a successful video from my stream of it here: https://youtu.be/OwgkrOW5Si0

Psxphile

Fingers crossed you don't run into that freeze bug... having that happen while attempting the battle on Nightmare has got to be some bullshit of the highest order.

Bladenic

Thanks for the tips, I beat him and got my platinum! I actually owned him hard, still had another heal left. The key to victory is definitely to maintain +50% buff. That way you can often get 2 turns in a row. Also only use the special triangle rush when buffed, deals about 60k overall.

I just remembered that I turned the difficulty down to Easy just for the final boss of CS1. I need to load my save near the end and beat it on Normal before CS2.

Top Bottom