• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Fingers crossed you don't run into that freeze bug... having that happen while attempting the battle on Nightmare has got to be some bullshit of the highest order.

I had that happen to me on Normal and I had about two more hits left to win. if that happens during my Nightmare run, I'm likely to chuck my Vita at the wall. :p

I had an amusing moment happen on my Nighmare run earlier in Chapter 4.

I was at the fight against Rean and Machias, which didn't give me any difficulty on Normal, but I was having a really hard time on Nightmare, and had lost about three times due to various instances of bad luck at the wrong time. On my fourth try, I used Scud Ripper right at the start of the fight (as I had done previous times as well), and insta-KO'd both of them. I just had to laugh when that happened.

pre-ordered the second game this morning , but this time , i choose the slowest delivery ..

( i plan to use that extra time to replay FC and SC ), i hope Cornbread78 will be able to finish the game by then , i'm pretty sure his nightmare run will be easier in NG+ than his hard run.

Famassu

If only I had money to even order Trails of Cold Steel II before maybe mid-September. ;__; Oh well, it's good that FFXV got delayed. No reason to rush (too much) through the game considering Trails of Cold Steel III will probably be at least 2 years away from western release...

Cornbread78

pre-ordered the second game this morning , but this time , i choose the slowest delivery ..

( i plan to use that extra time to replay FC and SC ), i hope Cornbread78 will be able to finish the game by then , i'm pretty sure his nightmare run will be easier in NG+ than his hard run.

Lol, hopefully. I'll pick it up on release.

I'm trying to decide between Exist Archive or Workd of Final Fantasy to bump to PS4, so I have time to play two at once, lol.

Bladenic

CS2 is definitely day 1 delivery, God bless Amazon. Can't wait!!! Need to see what happens to the story and characters, new parts of Erebonia, more incredible music (I hope Don't Be Defeated by a Friend comes back or remixed) and see what new characters join as playable. Omfg so close.

Nyoro SF

I consider CS2 to be a long-term investment to get the police JRPG I've always wanted. Day one no question, other games can wait.

EDIT: I won't even be in the damn country to get the game, but I'm still having it delivered day one lol

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm bringing my vita to work and playing it every second i get tbh.

Must be nice. :p

If only I had money to even order Trails of Cold Steel II before maybe mid-September. ;__; Oh well, it's good that FFXV got delayed. No reason to rush (too much) through the game considering Trails of Cold Steel III will probably be at least 2 years away from western release...

This is one reason why I wanted the game to release at a later date.

Lol, sounds like me, lol. I sit in the far corner of a large office and my boss is in a different office 400 miles away, so...

Vita is great for that, lol.

You guys have it easy .. i work in a school so i can't appear to not look serious even when i'm on a break.

Maybe i can teach my students the wonders of the LOH series ? It would be certainly better than the crap they play every day on their phones

Lol, sounds like me, lol. I sit in the far corner of a large office and my boss is in a different office 400 miles away, so...

Vita is great for that, lol.

Tbh my boss is a really cool dude. He likes to come around to our desks when it's not busy and talk about building PCs and PC gaming.

You guys have it easy .. i work in a school so i can't appear to not look serious even when i'm on a break.

Maybe i can teach my students the wonders of the LOH series ? It would be certainly better than the crap they play every day on their phones

My coworker that sits across from me has a vita. I should show him the greatness that is the Trails franchise.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Fucking collectables.

I miss one god damn book at the end of Chapter 4 (not red rose) and my last save that I didn't overwrite was at the beginning of 4...

My options are to either redo the whole damn chapter again, or press on and get back to that point again, which honestly wouldn't be that time consuming, since all I would have to do is just do the bare minimum instead of going through every nook and crannie in this playthrough.

Stuart444

Fucking collectables.

I miss one god damn book at the end of Chapter 4 (not red rose) and my last save that I didn't overwrite was at the beginning of 4...

My options are to either redo the whole damn chapter again, or press on and get back to that point again, which honestly wouldn't be that time consuming, since all I would have to do is just do the bare minimum instead of going through every nook and crannie in this playthrough.

If you know what you're doing, redoing a chapter wouldn't take long at all. Especially since you can skip most text and battle animations.

Gu4n

Speaking of collectibles, I'm re-purposing the cheat sheet I've been using for Soulsborne games to make one for Cold Steel II. It's still very much a work in progress, but I hope it will be useful to some of you -- I know it will be for me in case I decide to platinum the game again.

I don't have time to do a detailed walk through, but I'll add some tips for bosses, how the bonding system works and how not to lose AP.

Eylos

Banned
Speaking of collectibles, I'm re-purposing the cheat sheet I've been using for Soulsborne games to make one for Cold Steel II. It's still very much a work in progress, but I hope it will be useful to some of you -- I know it will be for me in case I decide to platinum the game again.

I don't have time to do a detailed walk through, but I'll add some tips for bosses, how the bonding system works and how not to lose AP.

Gu4n there's any missable in CS2? (besides the books)

jschreier

There are a lot of neat little quality-of-life improvements in CS2, like sidequests asking if you want to return straight to the quest-givers, and shops getting markers on the mini-map.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
If you know what you're doing, redoing a chapter wouldn't take long at all. Especially since you can skip most text and battle animations.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing.

It's just a minor annoyance that I was trying to avoid and me in my haste missed one tiny little detail.

Eylos

Banned
Being a Trails game, what do you think? :p

I'm expecting missable chests, books, conversations and hidden quests.

yeah, my question was silly, what i really wanted to know its, what is missable to get the platinum example:

i missed Tors and chevalier master quartz on CS1, i have to replay 2 times on new game plus to get the platinum =/

Gu4n

Do MQs have the exact same properties in the sequel?
See: http://kiseki.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Master_Quartz_(Sen_II)

yeah, my question was silly, what i really wanted to know its, what is missable to get the platinum example:

i missed Tors and chevalier master quartz on CS1, i have to replay 2 times on new game plus to get the platinum =/
You'll have to re-play CS2 twice for the Platinum anyway. The NG+ quest makes it worthwhile, though.

Also, I didn't make this guide for no reason. https://gu4n.github.io/cs2/

Squire

Banned
There are a lot of neat little quality-of-life improvements in CS2, like sidequests asking if you want to return straight to the quest-givers, and shops getting markers on the mini-map.

Beautiful. I already thought CS1 was better about these things than most JRPGs.

Korigama

I had an amusing moment happen on my Nighmare run earlier in Chapter 4.

I was at the fight against Rean and Machias, which didn't give me any difficulty on Normal, but I was having a really hard time on Nightmare, and had lost about three times due to various instances of bad luck at the wrong time. On my fourth try, I used Scud Ripper right at the start of the fight (as I had done previous times as well), and insta-KO'd both of them. I just had to laugh when that happened.
Having just gotten back to that point on Nightmare as well,
I hit them with Bullet Cyclone for the fun of it, then just completely destroyed them with Radiant Waltz while Domination and Murakumo were equipped.

...The more I play, the more I question if I should've decided against carrying over my character and Master Quartz levels when I did it (being able to steamroll everything takes the fun out of things, and I doubt that I'm anywhere close to unlocking the International Bank of Rean trophy without taking the 300,000 Mira bonus instead).

Bladenic

I didn't need the 300,000 Mira bonus to get the trophy. Just sold everything I had, including sepith. I reached 1 mil while selling my fire quartz, so it's really not that hard after nearly two playthroughs haha.

Also, I really can't decide if I want to play Normal or Hard for CS2. Normal in CS1 was mostly cakewalk, and I wouldn't mind a slightly harder challenge, unless there are some major roadblock.

Korigama

Hmm, I'll have to keep stuff to sell in mind then.

Probably going to start off with Hard in the sequel myself. Having a better idea of what to expect in respect to mechanics and general balance now than when i started, Normal doesn't seem like it would pose enough of a challenge (unless indeed, something has changed to make that more of an issue compared to the first game).

Stuart444

On first playthroughs of any game, I don't care enough about having a challenge (though I usually choose normal over easy :p just so it's not totally brain dead) and prefer to just play through the story and enjoy it.

Subsequent playthroughs is when I may up the difficulty :)

Gu4n

Go with Hard. There will be a couple of challenging fights, but there's also more room to break your characters. I think Hard will be much more rewarding during the endgame, plus it will motivate you to make the most out of the endgame.

I mean, these are extremes of course, but if you want to you can have Laura do a normal attack of 119.960 damage or have Emma cast Purgatorial Flame for a whopping 2.058.890 damage.

Neoweee

Also, I really can't decide if I want to play Normal or Hard for CS2. Normal in CS1 was mostly cakewalk, and I wouldn't mind a slightly harder challenge, unless there are some major roadblock.

It's my first time with the series, and Hard in CS1 was completely reasonable (still a little bit left for me to go, though). Most random encounters are super easy, the EXP bonus mechanics make AoE grinding easy, and only the end-of-chapter bosses were notable. Fights were consistently fun, but I really only had to hunker down and reassess my Quartz for the big fights.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Having just gotten back to that point on Nightmare as well,
I hit them with Bullet Cyclone for the fun of it, then just completely destroyed them with Radiant Waltz while Domination and Murakumo were equipped.

...The more I play, the more I question if I should've decided against carrying over my character and Master Quartz levels when I did it (being able to steamroll everything takes the fun out of things, and I doubt that I'm anywhere close to unlocking the International Bank of Rean trophy without taking the 300,000 Mira bonus instead).

Just save then sell everything you have, if the trophy pops, re-load the last save. You should have plenty, especially if you have a bunch of rare Quartzes.

Loaded up my endgame CS1 save and re-beat the boss.
When I first got to the C fight, I think I was annoyed by 1) a different format of combat for the final boss, which is a thing that happens sometimes in games and always irks me, and 2) the combat rules seemed inconsistent. So I ended up dying 3 or so times and bumping down the difficulty just so I could finish the game. During my re-match last night, I finally realized that C has 3 different ready stances with different weak points. The perceived inconsistency was in fact my lack of observation of the different stances. Exploiting those stances and a lot of Moonlight Whatever, the 90 CP parry Craft, was enough to get me through the fight on Normal.

Loaded up my endgame CS1 save and re-beat the boss.
When I first got to the C fight, I think I was annoyed by 1) a different format of combat for the final boss, which is a thing that happens sometimes in games and always irks me, and 2) the combat rules seemed inconsistent. So I ended up dying 3 or so times and bumping down the difficulty just so I could finish the game. During my re-match last night, I finally realized that C has 3 different ready stances with different weak points. The perceived inconsistency was in fact my lack of observation of the different stances. Exploiting those stances and a lot of Moonlight Whatever, the 90 CP parry Craft, was enough to get me through the fight on Normal.

The fight is actually really easy...
Build up 40 CP, use the buff that boosts speed/attack, when you have 1 turn left use it again to get 50% of each, and just keep it up with normal attacks. It is important to know what area to hit to get the rush but its easy enough to figure out once you've seen it once.

Bladenic

Build up 40 CP, use the buff that boosts speed/attack, when you have 1 turn left use it again to get 50% of each, and just keep it up with normal attacks. It is important to know what area to hit to get the rush but its easy enough to figure out once you've seen it once.

This is basically the only way to win on Nightmare. If not you'll just get outdamaged faster then you can deal damage and heal.

Getting unlucky and choosing the wrong target to attack 2 out of 3 times when he goes into a new stance can really put you on the back foot, which is what I think I ended up doing my first time through. But yeah, I think I finished the fight this time with a ton of HP. It wasn't hard once I just looked at what the game was telling me. And listened to C's lines when he went into a new stance. He says something different for each of the 3 stances, as well as the stance just looking different.

Psxphile

People tend to miss that the game actively keeps track of each stance's weaknesses when struck (and which ones have already been tested).

People tend to miss that the game actively keeps track of each stance's weaknesses when struck (and which ones have already been tested).

I definitely missed it the first time, even though the game actually gives you a tutorial after dying once that reminds you to do just that!

aravuus

The imported US copy of Cold Steel 2 can keep you busy while you wait for your EU copy of Cold Steel 2

Double dip fellas, that's what hype and the lack of financial sense has taught me

Top Bottom