• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

zakujanai

It was a little bit easier last time because I'd barely finished SC anyway. This time I'm focusing on the fact well have a shorter wait between CS2 and 3rd
it's not helping much.

Gu4n

Can you detail the NG+ quest a bit? How long is it?
It's not a spoiler and very vague, but I can imagine people don't want to read what the quest is like yet.

The quest takes up the entire game. You collect five items throughout the game. In the last chapter, you exchange the chapters for an item. This unlocks a special scene on the last day of the game.

I'll add the details, as vague as this, in the Github thingy, too.

So my save file got corrupted, I grabbed a clear file online, resigned it and got it running, and now it seems I'm stuck.
No matter what I do in the first boss battle against Iglute Garmr, the first boss, he gets stuck at 1 HP.
If I leave him at just below 50% he never transforms, if I try to OHKO him he doesn't die, nothing I do kills him and he won't transform.
This is super frustrating.

EDIT: NVM hammered X while watching a show and 10 minutes later it died.

Lol so finished recording my first take of the spoiler talk I wanted to do on my channel for monday and it clocked in at over 40 minutes... Yeah going to have to try and trim that down a bit.

Currently in chapter 4 field study, still haven't found time to play it this week, maybe tomorrow...
Elise made a terrible first impression on me, hate that kind of character. First one I disliked, actually.

Eylos

Banned
Currently in chapter 4 field study, still haven't found time to play it this week, maybe tomorrow...
Elise made a terrible first impression on me, hate that kind of character. First one I disliked, actually.

I don't like her Voice :/

It sounds like a preppie girl

Famassu

I didn't like it that in the drama cd thing that takes place during CS1
even Rean & Elise's parents are pairing the two and being almost like "Dad: hahahaha, wouldn't it be awesome if Rean would fuck her brains out! Mom: SO awesome." That whole relationship just feels icky since Elise feels more like the adoring little sister than some potential, serious love interest.

Korigama

I didn't need the 300,000 Mira bonus to get the trophy. Just sold everything I had, including sepith. I reached 1 mil while selling my fire quartz, so it's really not that hard after nearly two playthroughs haha.
Just save then sell everything you have, if the trophy pops, re-load the last save. You should have plenty, especially if you have a bunch of rare Quartzes.
Went with the advice here and managed to get the trophy. Rather annoying that it required having at least 1,000,000 Mira right on the spot instead of being cumulative, but whatever. If nothing else, it served as useful trivia by showing just how much everything that I had collected up until that point was worth.

Gu4n

For those concerned about carrying over their save data from the Vita version of Cold Steel I to the PS3 version of Cold Steel II: it's possible! I double-checked and this functionality was apparently already available in the Japanese version, I just never had to use it.

Edit:
Right. Text contains spoilers for those who haven't finished the first Cold Steel (hurry up! ;))

1X2MiBw.png

Review copies are out? Man I wish I had a bigger youtube channel to get in on that >.<

For those who haven't followed XSEED on Twitter the US VA for Rean donated some keychains of characters for CS2 and they started giving them away this week, I won the Emma one! So follow XSEED if you want a chance to get one of those, they generally just want you to retweet the post they put up about it.

That moment when you realize that not only did you miss two hidden side quests in the first chapter (putting you completely out of the running for top rank) BUT also that you missed one of the book chapters...

Utter sadness...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Review copies are out? Man I wish I had a bigger youtube channel to get in on that >.<

For those who haven't followed XSEED on Twitter the US VA for Rean donated some keychains of characters for CS2 and they started giving them away this week, I won the Emma one! So follow XSEED if you want a chance to get one of those, they generally just want you to retweet the post they put up about it.

Oh, lucky.

I hope they have a Sara one. :p

Stuart444

Too bad it's US only :(

Still, very generous of him. He seems like a cool dude!

That moment when you realize that not only did you miss two hidden side quests in the first chapter (putting you completely out of the running for top rank) BUT also that you missed one of the book chapters...

Utter sadness...

Honestly unless you have no intention of doing a second playthrough ever (you can't get Plat in a single playthrough FYI) I wouldn't worry to much about it, I missed a lot in the first two chapters before I ever saw a guide for the game and just used a guide the second playthrough.

Nice! I've been retweeting them when they go out.
Rean's VA is a cool dude. He's also a total nerd.

Hikami

Been retweeting them but haven't won any. Still want one though, anyone know where I could buy them?

Hikami

AmiAmi had them up in stock for a while, but I see they're out of stock now. I got mine through Chara-Ani themselves.

Damn, guess I'll have to hope I win one of the Twitter ones then.
--
Bit off-topic but I just actually looked at XSEED's twitter banner instead of glancing at it for once. Was shocked when I saw Trails in the Sky the 3rd there. "When did they announce this?" I thought. Looked up the GAF thread on it and I had posted in it apparently. Damn, can't believe I forgot we were getting that. I'm hyped all over again.

Honestly unless you have no intention of doing a second playthrough ever (you can't get Plat in a single playthrough FYI) I wouldn't worry to much about it, I missed a lot in the first two chapters before I ever saw a guide for the game and just used a guide the second playthrough.

It's unlikely I will ever be able to complete a second playthrough (unless there is a speed up mechanic). Too many games to replay 40+hour RPGs these days... Thanks for the recommendation on a second playthrough being required for the plat, I guess there is some sort of new game + option?

JPS Kai

We're a bit shocked that Xseed's PR company hasn't sent out review codes to us yet. It's not just my site(s) either; a few other people I collaborate with haven't gotten codes for their sites too.

I really, REALLY hope Xseed isn't going to try and send out the next wave of codes on release day.

Meffer

I didn't like it that in the drama cd thing that takes place during CS1
even Rean & Elise's parents are pairing the two and being almost like "Dad: hahahaha, wouldn't it be awesome if Rean would fuck her brains out! Mom: SO awesome." That whole relationship just feels icky since Elise feels more like the adoring little sister than some potential, serious love interest.
Yeah it bugs the shit out of me too.

It's unlikely I will ever be able to complete a second playthrough (unless there is a speed up mechanic). Too many games to replay 40+hour RPGs these days... Thanks for the recommendation on a second playthrough being required for the plat, I guess there is some sort of new game + option?

Yep very similar to how tales works where you can carry over stuff in your student handbook like battle info, students you met, ect all of which has a trophy for it. As well as levels, items, ect. Plus theres costumes you can have during the second playthrough as well, nothing to amazing but some nice little bonus options if you want them but you really don't get enough points to use them in the second playthrough if you want to carry over all your completed stuff from the first playthrough.

The main reason you can't platinum in one playthrough is that there are 2 diffrent master quartz you can pick in the last chapter and can only choose one per playthrough, so you need at least two playthroughs to do everything.

Stuart444

You can speed up. Hold circle and it fast forwards through all the text and cutscenes while in battle you can hit start to skip battle animations.

You can also run faster by holding one of the shoulder buttons (R1?) which I didn't find out til Chapter 1 on my first playthrough but it's useful as anything.

Neoweee

Finally, finally done with this.

Good game, but I wish the pacing/QOL were better. Mass Effect text/cutscene/animation skipping feels like it would prune off 5-or-so hours from the game.

Bring on 2.

preta

Gu4n: In CS2, can I pretty much play blind my first playthrough and get platinum on NG+, or is there anything I'll have to do in both playthroughs?

omgfloofy

Banned
Sean Chiplock is an awesome dude. When I was part of Sanctuary Crew, we actually got him on to do commentary during a preview stream of Cold Steel before it released in English. He was hysterical and I'd love to get involved with him in something like that again.

We ended up getting stuff like this from this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJXHvCu4cnQ

Gu4n

Gu4n: In CS2, can I pretty much play blind my first playthrough and get platinum on NG+, or is there anything I'll have to do in both playthroughs?
You can do everything on NG+, though it's advisable to split the bonding events equally between both.

I also finished my guide for CS2: https://gu4n.github.io/cs2/

Sean Chiplock is an awesome dude. When I was part of Sanctuary Crew, we actually got him on to do commentary during a preview stream of Cold Steel before it released in English. He was hysterical and I'd love to get involved with him in something like that again.

We ended up getting stuff like this from this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJXHvCu4cnQ
*dies*

occelinho

So I'm not sure if this has been asked and / or answered already, but I got a question:
I bought CS from the US store, but I want to get the EU version for the sequel. Is it still possible to import my save data this way? If not I will obviously get the US version again.

Stuart444

So I'm not sure if this has been asked and / or answered already, but I got a question:
I bought CS from the US store, but I want to get the EU version for the sequel. Is it still possible to import my save data this way? If not I will obviously get the US version again.

Why would you wait for the EU version if you got the US version before? (just curious)

edit: everything below is PS3 only I forgot to mention

and, you could use bruteforce. It's what I'll try and use for EU -> US save data since I want to get the digital version of the US and use my EU save with it.

Relevant post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMy6qOP_rrI for bruteforce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBp0LtgI1M for for something called PS3 save resigner, tool I've never used

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/ps3-how-to-blank-out-a-save-and-change-region.962382/ written guide for bruteforce, I think you can skip the account blanking step if you want to

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f180/change-ps3-save-file-another-region-66818/#post922390 weird explanation on how to do it manually if you want to do it that way for some reason

Take your pick, I guess.

Should work both ways (EU -> US and US -> EU) I'd imagine.

Menthuss

Man, finally got through CS1. Those last couple of chapters really dragged on. I liked the game quite a bit. The game had some lows but it wasn't too bad for the most part. What I liked:

The world(building):

After hearing how many installments there have been in the Trails franchise, I was initially a bit hesitant to buy the game as many people remarked that CS1 is not the best starting point in the franchise. Still, I wasn't as lost as I was expecting to be: The game did a decent enough job of introducing me to the world and all the various factions (although I have a feeling I missed out a ton of references and callbacks). I was impressed with how much detailed every faction was, with internal politics to boot.

The gameplay:

It's always a good sign when I'm at the end of an RPG and the gameplay still has its hooks in me. I liked that I could customize what character would have what arts equipped, it gave me some real flexibility when it came to how I wanted my party to function.
The mech battle at the end was also pretty fucking badass. Definitely hope to see more of that in the next game.

Now for the stuff I didn't like too much:

Quest design (and how you obtain them)
The schoolhouse quests got old real quick. It just felt like filler to me. After I found out what the schoolhouse's secret was,
(Why is a mech in the basement of an old schoolhouse, anyway?)
I was left feeling really unsatisfied.
The field study quests varied from shitty fetch quests to actually interesting stuff that revealed more about the world.

Talking to every NPC after every major event can get very tedious, very quickly. The fact that they hide certain quests and only make them available in very specific time frames doesn't sit well with me.

Characters
Probably my biggest problem with the game. Several characters I feel were just a collection of anime tropes. Whilst some characters do drop some of their cliched behaviour (like how Alisa thankfully does away with her tsundere act fairly quickly), others go all in and as a result become completely unlikable (I could make a list of character tropes that I dislike and Rean would fit every single one).

Performance
I was playing on the Vita and at times I got framerate drops so massive, I had to double check I wasn't watching a slideshow of the game instead. During the
festival
in chapter 6, the framerate was hovering around 15 quite regularly.

I know I have more negative points listed than positive ones though that's more because I tend to have issues putting and organizing my thoughts onto paper and not because I dislike the game. I AM quite looking forward to CS2 (1,5 weeks to go :D)!

preta

Man, finally got through CS1. Those last couple of chapters really dragged on. I liked the game quite a bit. The game had some lows but it wasn't too bad for the most part. What I liked:

The world(building):

After hearing how many installments there have been in the Trails franchise, I was initially a bit hesitant to buy the game as many people remarked that CS1 is not the best starting point in the franchise. Still, I wasn't as lost as I was expecting to be: The game did a decent enough job of introducing me to the world and all the various factions (although I have a feeling I missed out a ton of references and callbacks). I was impressed with how much detailed every faction was, with internal politics to boot.

You'll understand the main plot of CS1 well enough without playing the previous games, but I doubt CS2 will be the same. Also, in CS1, you won't pick up on the subtext of some scenes or the significance of a few revelations, and playing CS1 before Sky SC casually spoils a late-game plot twist. I know you may not want to go back now with CS2 so close, but playing both Sky FC and SC before it may be a good idea.

The gameplay:

It's always a good sign when I'm at the end of an RPG and the gameplay still has its hooks in me. I liked that I could customize what character would have what arts equipped, it gave me some real flexibility when it came to how I wanted my party to function.
The mech battle at the end was also pretty fucking badass. Definitely hope to see more of that in the next game.

If you liked the orbment customization system in CS1, you'd love it in the Sky games, where it's actually more complex.

Now for the stuff I didn't like too much:

Quest design (and how you obtain them)
The schoolhouse quests got old real quick. It just felt like filler to me. After I found out what the schoolhouse's secret was,
(Why is a mech in the basement of an old schoolhouse, anyway?)
I was left feeling really unsatisfied.
The field study quests varied from shitty fetch quests to actually interesting stuff that revealed more about the world.

The fact that
it hides a mech isn't even close to the most interesting/suspicious thing about the old schoolhouse, and I hope to get more info on this in CS2. Unfortunately, this is something that will almost certainly go over your head if you haven't played the previous games, particularly Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

Thoughts in bold.

Nyoro SF

Your thoughts mirror a lot of feedback here in the thread.

I also recommend going back and playing FC and SC. The reveals you saw at the end of CS1 are going to be more multifaceted in CS2. I understand if you're too hype for CS2 to wait to do that though. :p

Menthuss

Thoughts in bold.

Your thoughts mirror a lot of feedback here in the thread.

I also recommend going back and playing FC and SC. The reveals you saw at the end of CS1 are going to be more multifaceted in CS2. I understand if you're too hype for CS2 to wait to do that though. :p

I'm currently reading an LP of FC and am hoping I'll have that finished by the time CS2 comes out. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak in SC in there as well somehow.

On a side note: Estelle grew on me really quick. Like, I hadn't even finished the first chapter and I was already thinking how much of a fun character she is.

I'm currently reading an LP of FC and am hoping I'll have that finished by the time CS2 comes out. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak in SC in there as well somehow.

On a side note: Estelle grew on me really quick. Like, I hadn't even finished the first chapter and I already liked her a lot.

Estelle is the best.

Shin-chan

I've caved and pre ordered an imported copy. I can't wait until November and then wait again for that shit to ship out from the UK to Japan.

Not sure what I'll do about my save. Maybe I'll buy the PS3 version of CS, do a save transfer, swap the regions and use that PS3 one on my Vita copy of CS2 .. if that will work?

Top Bottom