• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Busaiku

Is that girl at the end a previous Legend of Heroes character?
I feel like every time there's this "mysterious character" popping up, it's some sort of reference.

Also, holy crap, 25 hours...
Gaaah.

So of the new playable characters cold steel 2 introduces are any of them introduced in CS1 or are they more like Kevin? I know that
The bracer dude who talked to bleublac in chapter 2 is playable as I saw a screen of him playable

Well if you want to know...

MASSIVE CS2 Spoilers
20 playable characters, I believe all of them are introduced in CS1 outside of two double spoiler here for whom they are
this includes Claire, Toval, Alfin, Elise, Sara, Sharon, Towa, Angelica.
The last two are characters from the Ao/Zero games, I believe one is the main character but I haven't played it so I cannot confirm.

Gu4n

MASSIVE CS2 Spoilers
20 playable characters, I believe all of them are introduced in CS1 outside of two double spoiler here for whom they are
The last two are characters from the Ao/Zero games, I believe one is the main character but I haven't played it so I cannot confirm.
There are actually five more, although one of those is playable for the shortest amount of time.

Seriously that character is nothing compared to the fact that
Elise
exists
I agree, but I also don't want to jump to conclusions before the Erebonia arc has ended in the first place.

Trails was an anime game too, but didn't have anything offensive as that. Heck, as much I dislike Tita, she's one of the best child-character, design wise.

She breathes through her skin?

What exactly do you find Offensive about that but couldn't also be said about
Millium?

MASSIVE CS2 Spoilers

Towa is playable in CS2? Best game ever confirmed

Xenoflare

Trails was an anime game too, but didn't have anything offensive as that. Heck, as much I dislike Tita, she's one of the best child-character, design wise.

Trails in the sky is over 10 years old and so are the designs. Things aren't as pandery back then.

I'm not sure where you are getting at, since the character you posted is not the worst in the game nor the worst in anime styled games

Gu4n

You tell me. I was writing the wiki page on that character and, even after having thoroughly skimmed through the script, I realised we barely know a thing -- like with so many characters and phenomenons introduced throughout Cold Steel and II. And theories only lead to more questions we don't have answers to yet. *sigh*

Towa is playable in CS2? Best game ever confirmed
You're going to love her S-Craft.

The fact that she looks like straight out from a Compile Heart game?

Not I like Millium. Both are awful design.
Yes, I thought exactly the same when I was first introduction to them. Now, I'm constantly cracking up over her expressiveness and her constant trolling of Jusis.

There are actually five more, although one of those is playable for the shortest amount of time.

I agree, but I also don't want to jump to conclusions before the Erebonia arc has ended in the first place.

Wait who did I miss? I watched a video that had all S-Crafts and thats all I saw.

Dio

Banned

Falcom has always made games that go along with the currently popular anime style, whether it be the high fantasy aesthetic of Ys, or the Slayers-esque style of Popful Mail.

Hell, here's some art:
rgGjuXr.jpg

ySrsRX3.jpg

The fact that she looks like straight out from a Compile Heart game?

Not I like Millium. Both are awful design.
Oh hey, a CS II discussion in a CS I thread...You should take your complaints elsewhere, please. You're not contributing anything worthwhile.

Yes, I thought exactly the same when I was first introduction to them. Now, I'm constantly cracking up over her expressiveness and her constant trolling of Jusis.
Same. I was annoyed at her design but quickly grew into it as her facial expressions were used well, and add that she has great chemistry with Jusis...and later machias haha.

Xenoflare

Falcom has always made games that go along with the currently popular anime style, whether it be the high fantasy aesthetic of Ys, or the Slayers-esque style of Popful Mail.

Hell, here's some art:

The jump in terms of full portraits in the menu from FC to SC is quite big too, though the design didn't change FC's arts looked more "hand drawn" than it's later counter parts

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tita is nothing compared to the anime girls Cold Steel throws at you. That said, the actual writing surrounding said girls is far more nuanced than you'd expect of the genre. This is why I always bring up tropes when I talk about this series - I feel like it's the duty of anyone trying to sell it to others to downplay the "animeness" of the game, because the writing supercedes the anime aesthetic... if that makes sense.

Also
Toval should have been playable in this game. Especially in the Legram story arc. Most underrated character.

omgfloofy

Banned
This conversation about a particular character is basically telling me that maybe it was a mistake to skip three Kiseki games.

Either that, or people's internal alarm bells are just broken, and they can't see that
there's something glaringly wrong going on with Millium and Altina.

It looks like people are picking up the wrong reaction about these two characters.

I'm not sure how this is usually handled, but the fact that there are lots of spoilers in here about the unreleased games is super scary, even if tagged

Gu4n

Tita is nothing compared to the anime girls Cold Steel throws at you. That said, the actual writing surrounding said girls is far more nuanced than you'd expect of the genre. This is why I always bring up tropes when I talk about this series - I feel like it's the duty of anyone trying to sell it to others to downplay the "animeness" of the game, because the writing supercedes the anime aesthetic... if that makes sense.
You could describe Alisa as the tsundere, you could also describe her as a (Chapter 3 reveal)
strong-willed girl trying to escape the realities of her crumbling family relations.

You could describe Gaius as the exchange student, you could also describe him as (same)
the son of harmonious nomads whose objective perspective on the class system in Erebonia is a highly valuable addition

There is so much to say about these characters that it's an absolute waste to reduce them to labels. What happened during the practical exam in chapter 3 received my standing ovation and had me realised that Class VII is closer to a group of persons than a group of characters.

I'm not sure how this is usually handled, but the fact that there are lots of spoilers in here about the unreleased games is super scary, even if tagged
You're right. I removed the message entirely.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah. It'll be good to have a separate thread for people to discuss spoilers from the series.

Jiraiza

Same. I was annoyed at her design but quickly grew into it as her facial expressions were used well, and add that she has great chemistry with Jusis...and later machias haha.
I didn't mind her initial design since she gets rid of it fairly quickly. Plus, she gets a cute hat.

I definiyely agree with the chemistry between her and Jusis, probably the best thing as far as character relationships are concerned in this series. That and Jusis being a snob (Millium giggling on the aide) with Machias whenever possible is great, too.

The lame, desperate strawman defense of cruddy creepy flavor anime designs is one of the worst parts of it spreading.

In much better news, ch 4:
Bleublanc and Oliviert in the same city at the same time means Good Times. Looking to get to chapter 5 tonight!

Yep, traveling was still tedious.

Anime Kyrgyzstan is good spice! I will not have it maligned!

omgfloofy

Banned
The lame, desperate strawman defense of cruddy creepy flavor anime designs is one of the worst parts of it spreading.

And yet no one seems to notice that, if they find these two characters creepy, the love for another super young looking character, Towa, apparently isn't as equally creepy?

That's kind of hypocritical.

Vamphuntr

I hate Milium so much but at least she kept her pants so far which is an achievement I guess. Best part was in Chapter 5 SPOILERS
When the little turd try to smash the orb in the castle and her robot thing bounce back and knock her off

So why are you guys posting spoilers for the second game in here?

So I got a late start to Cold Steel because Amazon and then being sick, but now I am finally able to sink my teeth in. So far I am in Chapter 2 and enjoying it thoroughly. I like some of the changes and dislike others, but so far there has been nothing that is seriously off-putting. I like a lot of the combat changes, but the animation skip seems like it takes just as long for most things. I prefer the aesthetic of FC and SC surprisingly, though CS isn't awful looking to me. I don't know if I like the orbment and quartz changes though. It seems a lot more straight forward. Probably the thing that bugs me the most is how the Voice overs are done, for instance there are times when all of the characters will be voiced but one character isn't. Then there are times when all of them are, it just seems inconsistent.

I do have a question about AP and how strict CS is on rankings. I have missed 9 AP so far, can I still get max rank? I know it has probably been mentioned in the thread already but wading through 39 pages with some of the spoiler bombs in here probably isn't going to happen lol.

Dio

Banned
I do have a question about AP and how strict CS is on rankings. I have missed 9 AP so far, can I still get max rank? I know it has probably been mentioned in the thread already but wading through 39 pages with some of the spoiler bombs in here probably isn't going to happen lol.

Nah. 'Max rank' is something you're probably going to have a really, really hard time with unless you use a guide since there are hidden sidequests with short time windows on top of 'doing everything perfectly right.'

I recommend just taking the game at your own pace. Trails is generally near-impossible, in every single game, to get 100% BP/AP/whatever on your first playthrough without a guide.

Taelus

And yet no one seems to notice that, if they find these two characters creepy, the love for another super young looking character, Towa, apparently isn't as equally creepy?

I thought the complaints were about their specific costume designs, not just the fact they're "super-young looking".

omgfloofy

Banned
I thought the complaints were about their specific costume designs, not just the fact they're "super-young looking".

Then they're just going on about the very first appearance, which you rarely see ever again in the game (nor in the second game) for one of the characters in question.

Nah. 'Max rank' is something you're probably going to have a really, really hard time with unless you use a guide since there are hidden sidequests with short time windows on top of 'doing everything perfectly right.'

I recommend just taking the game at your own pace. Trails is generally near-impossible, in every single game, to get 100% BP/AP/whatever on your first playthrough without a guide.

Yeah, I get that. I was just curious how big the cushion for Max Rank was. I was under the impression with SC for instance that you could only miss 2 BP and still get Max Rank.

Jiraiza

I hate Milium so much but at least she kept her pants so far which is an achievement I guess. Best part was in Chapter 5 SPOILERS
When the little turd try to smash the orb in the castle and her robot thing bounce back and knock her off

So why are you guys posting spoilers for the second game in here?

Poor Millium, getting all this hate she doesn't really deserve. She's a welcome addition due to how stifled and awkward the rest of the class is. Same with Crow and whenever Olivier shows up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Poor Millium, getting all this hate she doesn't really deserve. She's a welcome addition due to how stifled and awkward the rest of the class is. Same with Crow and whenever Oliver shows up.
Crow is the best. I love how he's a lazy slacker who's actually dependable when he puts in effort.

Dangerous black bar, do not click if unsure

Except for the fact that his spoiler is way too obvious

Neoweee

Can we not spoil future games in this thread? Some of you are actually labeling them, but that type of thing still seems better suited in the Trails community thread.

Is there a reason Amber Anour sounds so familiar?

Olivier plays it multiple times throughout FC and SC.

Can we not spoil future games in this thread? Some of you are actually labeling them, but that type of thing still seems better suited in the Trails community thread.

Mods can always be messaged if things appear to be getting too out of hand. All this crap from other games is turning the thread into a minefield though.

Finished up Chapter 3.
That was a really good chapter. Alisa's development was really good, and Gaius got fleshed out nicely, too. The conclusion was pretty exciting with you trying to stop the war (and avenge poor Private Roan :(). Comrade G is certainly pretty punchable.

I'm really curious as to what Sharon's deal is. She just keeps getting more and more mysterious. I also wound up not finding Millium as annoying as she could have been.

The scenes after the end of the chapter/start of Chapter 4 also provided some intriguing moments.
We're finally getting to see Osborne, and get some idea of his plans. It's intriguing to have him finally taking the stage. And it was great to really get to see Olivert again, and see him interacting with Alfin and Cedric. It's kind of funny to see him acting so differently than his Olivier identity, though.

Also, that pronunciation of Liberl is different from what I've been saying for over 4 years.

This is not a hill worth dying on.

Note how I post previously in this thread reguarding character-related dealings.

It isn't worth getting personal about.

IS that visual design worth saying those things? No, of course it isn't, now is it?

Millium is fun, especially her interactions with Jusis. I can understand why people might not like her, though.

Myself, I'm not fond of Alisa, and wish she'd go away.

Lol, did Rean and Alisa share the same pair of fingerless gloves? I noticed he's wearing one on his right while she's wearing one in her left.

Zeta Oni

So just went to gamestop to pick up some headphones and saw the Trails of Cold Steel LE sitting there all pretty like.

So I bought it.

Have little to no information about the game, but I have played Trails in the Sky FC now and I enjoyed it.

Anything I absolutely need to know going in?

Nyoro SF

So just went to gamestop to pick up some headphones and saw the Trails of Cold Steel LE sitting there all pretty like.

So I bought it.

Have little to no information about the game, but I have played Trails in the Sky FC now and I enjoyed it.

I recommend playing Trails in the Sky SC first, it introduces a few significant ties to Erebonia which will help you appreciate Cold Steel all the more.

Lol, did Rean and Alisa share the same pair of fingerless gloves? I noticed he's wearing one on his right while she's wearing one in her left.

That's an interesting quirk if true, I'll look for it next time I play.

So I bought it.

Nah, you should be fine. I'd recommend playing SC, but it's not needed to play Cold Steel.

So I bought it.

If you liked FC you may want to play SC before jumping into CS some minor things may be spoiled for you. In terms of gameplay changed the orbment system has been simplied, combat is a lot faster and has an animation skip button, you can now link with a partner and get extra hits on foes if you hit them with the right kind of physical damage, and you now must find or be given recipies eating food does not teach it to you anymore.

Zeta Oni

I recommend playing Trails in the Sky SC first, it introduces a few significant ties to Erebonia which will help you appreciate Cold Steel all the more.

Not gonna lie, the big thing that kept me engrossed in FC was the story, the combat system got a little tedious at times and I was wary to hop right into SC due to that. I figured Cold Steel, being a newer release, would probably be a better fit for me if they improved the combat a bit. Which....

If you liked FC you may want to play SC before jumping into CS some minor things may be spoiled for you. In terms of gameplay changed the orbment system has been simplied, combat is a lot faster and has an animation skip button, you can now link with a partner and get extra hits on foes if you hit them with the right kind of physical damage, and you now must find or be given recipies eating food does not teach it to you anymore.

It sounds like they did. That is all awesome.

Nah, you should be fine. I'd recommend playing SC, but it's not needed to play Cold Steel.

Good to hear. Sounds like I might just find a good rundown of SC before starting cold steel immediately like I planned.

Top Bottom