• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Bladenic

Sara's voice is perfect. I like Fie. I agree about Laura and Alisa being hit or miss. Curious to see how it goes in the sequel with those 2.

Xenoflare

I don't get the hate for the voices for Alisa and Laura, they fit perfectly. Not like the actors had much to work on either.

The
Tsunduhre and the bore

Chapter 3
is not THAT bad, the fact that this game is not random encounter based is very helpful. Calm Lands in FFX was much more of a chore for me.

Bladenic

I don't get the hate for the voices for Alisa and Laura, they fit perfectly. Not like the actors had much to work on either.

The
Tsunduhre and the bore

Chapter 3
is not THAT bad, the fact that this game is not random encounter based is very helpful. Calm Lands in FFX was much more of a chore for me.

People think Chapter 3 is bad? I loved it.

Xenoflare

People think Chapter 3 is bad? I loved it.

Yeah, I understand the complaints though. I liked it too. It reminds me of FFX and XIII in a nostalgic way.

One of the sidequest is a bit BS though
requires you to go to the Gate then to the settlement then to the gate then back to the settlement

Edit: School starts for me starting tomorrow and I just hope I can finish this before June lol.

Gu4n

Regarding AP, does the trophy requires you to receive full AP or just to the highest tier on the academic list? I'm under the impression that you can miss a few points but still obtain the highest level.
Just the tier.

What surprises me personally at the reception of the game is that 'tropes' and 'stereotypes' are still being discussed. I don't see the point of it. At least, not if there's so much else going on. I also feel all characters' behaviour stems logically from whatever they've been through, so I don't see why characters needs to get reduced to labels.

What surprises me personally at the reception of the game is that 'tropes' and 'stereotypes' are still being discussed. I don't see the point of it. At least, not if there's so much else going on. I also feel all characters' behaviour stems logically from whatever they've been through, so I don't see why characters needs to get reduced to labels.

It's terribly cliché to say this, but it's a handicap that these sort of games go through by virtue of being Japanese and rooted in its anime style.

Especially when it embraces storytelling aspects popularised in some of the otaku facing content, and then it's easy,without context, to label said storytelling mechanism as pandering or aiming to the skeevy audience, sometimes at the cost of ignoring what's actually well executed about said elements.

I personally don't think Angelica is a bad character of her type, for one. A trope of her would be one who actually sexually harrasses her female peers and said same sex is used to justify the groping. None of that happens with Angelica. If anything, her free spirited, boundless nature that rejects the norm and expectations of a noble lady is far stronger than her sekuhara senpai archetype.

Moonlight

Banned
Started playing last night and put it down like 4:00 AM in the morning. Holy shit, this game is amazing. I'm not really a stranger to Trails games - I've played Trails FC to completion twice, and I started SC quite a while ago, but Cold Steel I've been sort of in the dark on. I got the game on a whim, and I was really pleasantly surprised to realize that not only was the game the same setting of TitS, the combat system was almost completely the same, only so much more intuitive and fluid-feeling. Had a big smile on my face with the prologue messing around with the mechanics and appreciating a lot of the smaller improvements like the attack/support divisions of arts and. Feels crazy and satisfying constantly swapping in and out party members for the situation. The combat is probably the most fun I've had in a JRPG in a very long time. It's not too different from Trails in the Sky, admittedly, but all the quality of life improvements and the general streamlining of things, on top of the XP multiplier just makes it really enjoyable to experiment with. Thinking about where all this is eventually going to go with the prologue is really exciting.

Just really enjoying myself so far. I think its' one of the first games since Persona 4 that actually sorta got what made Persona 4 different, and especially what made the game so inviting. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't trade as much in heavier personal conflicts (though I'd consider the rich world-building a fair trade-off) but I love how familiar the school and town starts to feel after a while, and how it populates both with a bunch of characters with their own little arcs independent of yourself. Gives the setting a sort of intimacy and authenticity that evokes, well, P4's Inaba to a certain degree. Though even more than P4, I feel way more enthusiastic about going out and talking to as many random strangers as I can.

And honestly, I'm 100% happy with the pace of the story so far. There's a rhythm to it, and kind of a relaxing one, I find, to just take in all the world-building and character stuff. It'll definitely change, but as it is it's running at what I would call a very comfortable pace right now.

Helps that the game still looks great on the Vita, though the fact that the walking animations don't appear to be aligned with the character models really throws me off. Not sure if that's just a problem with the game in general, though.

Also, Sara is by far the best character in the game. Fie might be competition if I could get some more words out of her. I hesitate to call any character in the game so far anything less than superbly likable, though. Except for Machias, maybe. I find Jusis way more sympathetic in their little conflict.

Oh, and a question! Is there any benefit to saving up bond points? I've been spending them as I've been getting them, so I dunno if there even is an element of 'saving up', but it occurred to me maybe you could do more evening events at once if you skipped some daytime ones.

Helps that the game still looks great on the Vita, though the fact that the walking animations don't appear to be aligned with the character models really throws me off. Not sure if that's just a problem with the game in general, though.

Also, Sara is by far the best character in the game. Fie might be competition if I could get some more words out of her. I hesitate to call any character in the game so far anything less than superbly likable, though. Except for Machias, maybe. I find Jusis way more sympathetic in their little conflict.

Oh, and a question! Is there any benefit to saving up bond points? I've been spending them as I've been getting them, so I dunno if there even is an element of 'saving up', but it occurred to me maybe you could do more evening events at once if you skipped some daytime ones.
There are parts of the game when the fps really takes a hit. When there's a lot on the screen. it's the same for vita and ps3.

Iirc, I heard you can save bonding points which will transfer to afternoon. But after that, they are gone. So it's better to use them when you can. I never saved a bonding point for the afternoon so I can't really be sure. Just What I saw people posted.

There is if you want the character notebook trophy. Characters have their character notes updated at certain bonding events. It may happen at day or night.

And if you missed any in the 1st playthrough, you can save up and use them for the evening in the 2nd playthrough by skipping the ones you did in the 1st attempt.

Just make sure to use them before the day ends. It doesn't carry over to the next day. Just Morning/afternoon -> Evening.

There's little reason to save bond points. Occasionally keeping one point will let you use it in the afternoon instead, but I don't believe there is ever a notebook unlock to be gained that way. You should never leave more than one point unspent though.

Erheller

If I want to completely fill the monster book, do I have to actually scan all of the bosses and one-off enemies? I missed scanning a boss earlier and got the scanner multiplier anyways.

Yu Narukami

I read somewhere that this game is like 80% dialogue and 20% gameplay. Is this true? Sometimes I can only play for an hour. Are some story scenes longer than an hour?

I read somewhere that this game is like 80% dialogue and 20% gameplay. Is this true? Sometimes I can only play for an hour. Are some story scenes longer than an hour?

None that I've seen (middle chapter 4). And while there is a lot of dialogue its still more gameplay the dialogue in most cases.

Nonsense. You can skip dialogue if you wish to do so and there is no story scene longer than 10~20 minutes at best, I think.

It really depends if you talk to the characters more or battle more. It's up to you.

I can't recall going an hour between save opportunities. This isn't MGS4, there's a lot of talking but it's not done in long sequences of cutscenes.

Gu4n

The relatively longer scenes - 20 minutes - usually have save points in the middle of them, so you won't end up with Persona 4 scenarios where you're suddenly caught up in a 2 hour cut scene.

I don't really mind any of the voices. Took me a while to get used to Sara but I like her now, and I don't mind Alisa or Laura. They both work for me and fit their characters.

Best voice so far is probably Towa. Voice acting for small localization projects has really come a long way.

So, to my fellow fishermen and women...

I am at
The Final Chapter
. I am missing two fish.

I know one of them is the Rockeater.

Is it possible for me to catch it from the pond out back by the Gym at the academy? I didn't even realize I was missing it until I checked.

aravuus

Argh, why didn't I pick the shipping option that had tracking. No idea where my copy is, I'd really just like to play the game before I start getting burdened with uni stuff again lol

Gu4n

So, to my fellow fishermen and women...

I am at
The Final Chapter
. I am missing two fish.

I know one of them is the Rockeater.

Is it possible for me to catch it from the pond out back by the Gym at the academy? I didn't even realize I was missing it until I checked.
No. It can be caught at the fishing point in the North Kreuzen Highway or the sewers of Heimdallr.

Gu4n

There's no fishing spot in Lunaria Nature Park right? That river looked so inviting
Nope!

Damn.

Well, I guess I'll play it again eventually.

How did I even miss it...?
Before you start looking for that last fish: you can only catch one (on 10/21) if you caught all 19 other ones.

What makes s crafts broken in cs2? I'd say in cs1 the characters who get them earlier are a tier above those who don't and they're as always obscenely strong but what did cs2 change to break them?
Right before jumping into Sen II's endgame on NG+, I broke Rean by raising his critical rate to 100%. Combined with the Dominator quartz (doubling the damage of the first attack), there's hardly anything that survives his first attack and whatever does gets demolished by Laura's first Tauros/Dominator driven attack. For a NG+ exclusive boss I resorted to a strategy in which Gaius took on the boss on his own by exploiting Chrono Burst. It took over 20 minutes, but it worked.

Chapter 4 is damn awesome. I liked chapter 3 too, was a good change of pace, but 4 really delivers on all fronts. The bigger the cast gets, and the more Class VII gets involved with the realm's major political figures, the more fondly I'm reminded of Suikoden. Gameplay has become perhaps a bit easy though. Got impede 2 on Rean, Fie, and Laura and even bosses rarely get a turn, and basically never get to cast.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The reverse difficulty curve will come back at you in full force in Chapter 6. Save your Zeram Powder/Capsules for then.

Famassu

This is the one time that I really wanted Videogamesplus to be as quick as they've been 99% of the time and it has taken longer than ever to get Cold Steel. ;__; Damn you Christmas & New Year's holidays stopping everything in Finland.

Yu Narukami

I have nothing to play at the moment, I could buy the American version on amazon.de instead of waiting for a month. I guess the Amercian save won't be compatible with the European version of the sequel?

I have nothing to play at the moment, I could buy the American version on amazon.de instead of waiting for a month. I guess the Amercian save won't be compatible with the European version of the sequel?
Probably not but you could get the NA version of the sequel as well, as it'll probably out much sooner than in EU again. Doesn't look like amazon.de has stock though?

Yu Narukami

Probably not but you could get the NA version of the sequel as well, as it'll probably out much sooner than in EU again. Doesn't look like amazon.de has stock though?

Yeah perhaps its better not to risk it. Amazon.fr and uk have stock.
This game better be good GAF lol. You all surely hyped me.

Let the story play out. Watch how they handle stuff. I thought the execution of events in the last chapter was crazy, and totally awesome.

I really want cold steel ii right now. You have no idea. Argh

I do...

I beat the game 6 days ago since then...

I have almost imported the game 3 times having to talk myself out of it each time (can't afford it, don't know hardly anything about Japanese, which for a plot heavy game is a bad idea)

Read a translation of the Drama CD for the
vacation to Ymir after Chapter 6

Watched the opening (which is god damn amazing, need to get an OST of both CS1 and 2) more then 30 times (just did again before I typed this XD
Towa in the hat is so cute XD
)

I've watched a demo of the first hour of the second game (minor spoiler
this helped at least to know what IMMEDIATELY happens after the events of CS
)

Then I spoiled myself on a few things...

Seeing the first scene where Rean meets up with Alisa, same video had a link to one of the later boding events and I really really had to try to avoid watching it, I really don't want to spoil myself I just had to know SOME things.

How many playable characters there are and WHO they are which holy shit is insane.

Then I started a NG+ and am on my way to platinuming the game right now, currently in Chapter 4 on Nightmare hasn't been hard at all yet. Honestly I think the hardest trophy is going to be interrupting casts 100 times, it seems excessive with how few opportunities you actually get to do so in the game, might see if theres an enemy that frequently casts and equip everyone with really weak weapons and just interrupt it over and over again XD

The wait for CS2 is going to suck, really hoping its out within the first 6 months of this year :(

I also started FC (and barely started) its okay so far I'm sure it'll get better as I go but its hard to go from a game with quite good production values overall to one without much of that, keep having to tell myself FC is more along the lines of a retro game then a modern one, no VA at all hurts a lot for text heavy games

At least next month I've got Fire Emblem and X-Com that should help but until then I'm just trying to find other things to play to get me away from wanting to import CS2.

Taruranto

Is this... thing.... an actuall character in Sen II?

[
iD3iTGe.jpg

Abdiel

I do...

I beat the game 6 days ago since then...

I have almost imported the game 3 times having to talk myself out of it each time (can't afford it, don't know hardly anything about Japanese, which for a plot heavy game is a bad idea)

Read a translation of the Drama CD for the
vacation to Ymir after Chapter 6

Watched the opening (which is god damn amazing, need to get an OST of both CS1 and 2) more then 30 times (just did again before I typed this XD
Towa in the hat is so cute XD
)

I've watched a demo of the first hour of the second game (minor spoiler
this helped at least to know what IMMEDIATELY happens after the events of CS
)

Then I spoiled myself on a few things...

Seeing the first scene where Rean meets up with Alisa, same video had a link to one of the later boding events and I really really had to try to avoid watching it, I really don't want to spoil myself I just had to know SOME things.

How many playable characters there are and WHO they are which holy shit is insane.

Then I started a NG+ and am on my way to platinuming the game right now, currently in Chapter 4 on Nightmare hasn't been hard at all yet. Honestly I think the hardest trophy is going to be interrupting casts 100 times, it seems excessive with how few opportunities you actually get to do so in the game, might see if theres an enemy that frequently casts and equip everyone with really weak weapons and just interrupt it over and over again XD

The wait for CS2 is going to suck, really hoping its out within the first 6 months of this year :(

I also started FC (and barely started) its okay so far I'm sure it'll get better as I go but its hard to go from a game with quite good production values overall to one without much of that, keep having to tell myself FC is more along the lines of a retro game then a modern one, no VA at all hurts a lot for text heavy games

At least next month I've got Fire Emblem and X-Com that should help but until then I'm just trying to find other things to play to get me away from wanting to import CS2.

For the interrupting trophy, the
robot boss in the burning factory, I think chapter 5? Once it starts trying to cast it's spell, if you interrupt it, it will just try again. I put impede 3 gems and the zues gem on everyone, and just chose the move action between his casts. Also, take off all strength boosting gems. It took me around 25 minutes, but once you start interrupting him, he'll never do anything else. I just kept cancelling until I got the trophy and then finished him off.

For the interrupting trophy, the
robot boss in the burning factory, I think chapter 5? Once it starts trying to cast it's spell, if you interrupt it, it will just try again. I put impede 3 gems and the zues gem on everyone, and just chose the move action between his casts. Also, take off all strength boosting gems. It took me around 25 minutes, but once you start interrupting him, he'll never do anything else. I just kept cancelling until I got the trophy and then finished him off.

Awesome tip, thanks I will do that.

On the topic of bad designs and storytelling elements that are not as strong as other parts of the game... all Trails games, heck ALL games suffer from this.

It's not a defense of Cold Steel or any of the Trails game in particular, but being too laser-focused on the low points of any series undermines the good parts of the series.

The wonders of context.

Even with context, not all things can be equivocally level to different people's standards. Regardless of story or character context, some people just aren't keen on characters like Tita or Tio being part of a JRPG cast.

So of the new playable characters cold steel 2 introduces are any of them introduced in CS1 or are they more like Kevin? I know that
The bracer dude who talked to bleublac in chapter 2 is playable as I saw a screen of him playable

Xenoflare

On the topic of bad designs and storytelling elements that are not as strong as other parts of the game... all Trails games, heck ALL games suffer from this.

It's not a defense of Cold Steel or any of the Trails game in particular, but being too laser-focused on the low points of any series undermines the good parts of the series.

Yeah, I have problems with
reusing the same tropes over and over again and digging the fuck out of plot arcs instead of solving them
than just generic anime girl design.

Seriously that character is nothing compared to the fact that
Elise
exists

Top Bottom