• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

Just beat the game. The ending was great, but the final boss design was a load of horse shit on Hard.

One thing I loved about the end:
The sudden genre shift that occurred in the last hour of this game. It suddenly became a Gundam/Escaflowne mixture and it was glorious.
Very excited for the sequel.
Fortunately,
the sequel makes those kinds of fights actually highly enjoyable. The one in the first game is kind of err...

Dio

Banned
Chapter 4

So which sister wants to fuck her brother more? Rean's or Elliot's?

I was always under the impression
that in Rean's case, it's simply a case of misplaced affection directed in a way that is very obviously never meant to be. You know, the fact that she admires her "older brother" very strongly and isn't really sure how to come to terms with it. It would be different if there was anything sexual there, all we really see is some blushing. As for Elliot's I don't think there's anything of the sort at all there, she's just possessive/enamored with how 'cute' he is in a motherly fashion, and I don't see much sexual there either.

I'm not saying there isn't any there in either case, I'm just saying how it came across to me

In Elliot's case further....

Chapter 5 spoiler:
Once we're introduced to his dad, we know the entire family is just a bunch of clingy lovable softies.

I was always under the impression
that in Rean's case, it's simply a case of misplaced affection directed in a way that is very obviously never meant to be. You know, the fact that she admires her "older brother" very strongly and isn't really sure how to come to terms with it. It would be different if there was anything sexual there, all we really see is some blushing.

I wouldn't say it's just
blushing.
There's a lot of jealousy when other girls show interest in him.

Jiraiza

In Elliot's case further....

Chapter 5 spoiler:
Once we're introduced to his dad, we know the entire family is just a bunch of clingy lovable softies.

I wouldn't say it's just
blushing.
There's a lot of jealousy when other girls show interest in him.

This whole self-insert, Persona inspired harem-like situation is probably the worst thing about this game. I hope it's not just me. Is Ao no Kiseki different in this regard?

Dio

Banned
This whole self-insert, Persona inspired harem-like situation is probably the worst thing about this game. I hope it's not just me. Is Ao no Kiseki different in this regard?

From what I know about Lloyd Bannings in Zero/Ao, hell no. (disclaimer - have not played Zero/Ao)

Well, that's probably unfair. He's probably quite a bit more of a standout character than Rean is, from what I know. (although I like both.)

eSQr7iH.jpg

Jiraiza

From what I know about Lloyd Bannings in Zero/Ao, hell no. (disclaimer - have not played Zero/Ao)

Well, that's probably unfair. He's probably quite a bit more of a standout character than Rean is, from what I know. (although I like both.)

Hope that's not the case since my interest in playing Zero and Ao skyrocketed when I reached a certain point in CS2.

I don't know if it's the worst, but I didn't like it either when Falcom introduced it from Zero onwards.

I mean, let's use Cold Steel as an example. It's obvious how "main romance interest" Alisa is, yet the game allows us to potentially skip scenes that build her growing interest in Rean (Rean is obviously still as dense as ever), in favour of the "pick your bond choices" scenarios.

It's a half measure that I would prefer them building a solid relationship with one female and focus on other relationships with the rest.

Hope that's not the case since my interest in playing Zero and Ao skyrocketed when I reached a certain point in CS2.

It's a great game in spite of those elements.

Also, Zero suffers very negibly from it because of how limited your choices are in terms of making selections.

Alisha is clearly the canon love interest the game doesn't even try to hide even if you ignore all the optional Alisha scenes/bonding events.

Not just you. I kinda spoil myself on that cause it was bugging me alot. Assuming this happens in cold steel 2
, is when Rean and Alisa end up together.

Edit:
Chapter 4

So which sister wants to fuck her brother more? Rean's or Elliot's?
def
Rean's sister :lol

Dio

Banned

The general impression of the type of character Lloyd was seemed to be, from people who've talked to me - I guess I could kind of compare him to Rean.

From those impressions, I get the idea that Rean is more 'serious' and mature in some respects, and that Lloyd is a more traditional, fresh-faced youthful sort of 'main guy' - in a sense, Rean's 'base' seems to be the even more modern, serious-when-needed-but-also-selfless badass guy with a katana, and Lloyd is a more traditional 'main guy' who is optimistic, forward facing and shonen-y and unintentionally attracts people, including women, to his side with his actions.

Basically, the difference between almost being an Emiya (Rean) and a Negi (Lloyd) although obviously Lloyd's a lot older. Couldn't think of a good parallel off the top of my head.

Of course, I'm just spouting shit I've heard, don't mind me if I'm wrong. Feel free to correct me, anyone who's actually played Zero/Ao.

Jiraiza

Alisha is clearly the canon love interest the game doesn't even try to hide even if you ignore all the optional Alisha scenes/bonding events.

It's not really so much that, but the fact that there's really barely much of a dynamic between the group as a whole, outside of Rean x Class VII member. They get developed, sure, but the group still feels shallow. Not to mention, bonding events never involve more than the two characters at a time, which is pretty dumb.

A little bias here, but stuff like Jusis and Millium interactions hit the spot for me. Or even Laura and Fie.

I just realized this is an extension of my complaint in the other thread, haha.

To avoid getting into spoiler territory...

Lloyd is a lot less "uncertain" about stuff than Rean.

And unlike Rean, Lloyd's unique aspects to his character more strongly support his characterisation.

Eg. the parts of Lloyd being a qualified detective is a stronger character driver than Rean being one of the
Eight Leaves school.

Dio

Banned
To avoid getting into spoiler territory...

Lloyd is a lot less "uncertain" about stuff than Rean.

And unlike Rean, Lloyd's unique aspects to his character more strongly support his characterisation.

Eg. the parts of Lloyd being a qualified detective is a stronger character driver than Rean being one of the
Eight Leaves school.

Ah, that's good to hear. I always really liked the angle that we actually get to play as a beat cop. I really do wanna play Zero/Azure someday - and the only exposure I've got to Lloyd are the people looking down on English Only Peasants or EOPs, some random bits of information from people like Tom from Xseed and the Falcom Gakuen 4komas.

This thread is quickly entering the unsafe to read territory.

Yeah, this is a good place to stop.

Varion

Just beat the game. The ending was great, but the final boss design was a load of horse shit on Hard.

One thing I loved about the end:
The sudden genre shift that occurred in the last hour of this game. It suddenly became a Gundam/Escaflowne mixture and it was glorious.
Very excited for the sequel.
You want to try it on nightmare. I got to it before bed one day and eventually had to give up and go to sleep then get back to trying the next morning. Took about 3 hours all in all. Contrary to what you might expect, Rean's level makes a significant difference to the difficulty (or lack thereof), but it's not like you can really grind at that point -- and unless you've done a significant amount of it, it's a battle of 20% skill and 80% luck.

Vamphuntr

Reached Chapter 5. Thing are finally starting to get interesting plot wise. It seems the game performs worse the further you get in. Not sure if the PS3 version was better but the Vita version is really awful performance wise in Heimdallr. Some cutscenes chug so much that you can see the text appear much slower in the text boxes. The one where SPOILERS
The fountains and sewers overflow
is basically a slideshow.

Xenoflare

Considering that the Lionheart edition made room for the CS2 and the artbook is actually a 2 in 1 edition, is it safe to assume that there won't be a LE for CS2 this year?

TR_

He's just a average fighter and he relies on others a lot of the time. Rean is on another level of bs.

Considering that the Lionheart edition made room for the CS2 and the artbook is actually a 2 in 1 edition, is it safe to assume that there won't be a LE for CS2 this year?

Most likely depends on how CS 1 sold and if they feel like it's worth the effort to do anything extra with 2. Even if we do get anything, it's likely to be just some basic box to hold everything, like what Nisa uses for it's LEs. We likely won't even hear anything about it till the middle of the year at the earliest though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If Comrade C is POSSIBLE GIGANTIC COLD STEEL II SPOILERS
Crow, I will kill myself, because that will be so cliche with him conveniently leaving the party just as he shows up. Also it makes no sense

flowsnake

The framerate in the train carriage in a sidequest is the worst in the game I've seen. I swear that must have been like 15fps.

There must be a lot of polygons in those seats I guess?

Finished the game. Overall a nice trip. I think my enjoyment of it would have vastly increased if I came into it from having played 3rd, Zero, and Ao but I suppose we have to take what we can get.

Clocked in at 68 hours for a playthrough on Normal doing all quests, catching all fish, and filling out all characters possible in the books.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Let the story play out. Watch how they handle stuff. I thought the execution of events in the last chapter was crazy, and totally awesome.

I really want cold steel ii right now. You have no idea. Argh
I think I have an idea.

It was way too easy to put two and two together. Here are the clues:

-Someone told me the cover art of CSII's OST is a spoiler
-His name is C
-Crow conveniently disappears
-Crow joins at the same time as Millium, who works for The Reformists, so it would make sense for him to join as an insert for the opposing faction (the characters also hint something is up with this)
-He's not with the protagonists in any Cold Steel II promo art
Also kind of upset
they skipped out on Ymir. Oh well... :/ I hear this final chapter is the best in the game.

TR_

The framerate in the train carriage in a sidequest is the worst in the game I've seen. I swear that must have been like 15fps.

There must be a lot of polygons in those seats I guess?

Trains aint that bad but the festival was a slideshow since you actually have to move around.

Taruranto

Why does the
Imperial Liberation Front
look like a bunch of Circus reject...

Chapter 5...

"wow, Crow joins the team, swe-

and then they had to let Nepnep into it too =_=

Rean is going dangerously into the sue/self insert power fantasy for otaku territory too much (See P4 MC). Of course
even the loli princess wants him. Because apparently he's the only interesting man in the whole Empire.

expel

Well the princess can't marry her own brother Olivier... *runs

You will see a lot of
Rean calling Valimar on CS2 thats for sure

Why does the
Imperial Liberation Front
look like a bunch of Circus reject...

Chapter 5...

"wow, Crow joins the team, swe-

and then they had to let Nepnep into it too =_=

Rean is going dangerously into the sue/self insert power fantasy for otaku territory too much (See P4 MC). Of course
even the loli princess wants him. Because apparently he's the only interesting man in the whole Empire.
The moment in
chapter 3 when Elisa thought she saw her brother at the train station with the princess, you knew it was going to be that way..
hopefully it's better in cold steel 2..

SolVanderlyn

The sexual undertones in this game are seriously upsetting. Mostly because everything else, story wise, is so good. Sophisticated, even - and it's rare that anything anime can rightly claim that label, especially in spite of its tropes and slightly cliche storylines. The otaku stuff also becomes much more heavy handed in the last third of the game or so. Angelica's entire character is based around this.

Alfin I don't mind, she's just Olivier redux.

Nyoro SF

Completed up to the first practical exam in chapter 1 since coming back from vacation.

A few thoughts;

Framing the game around a full campus, and not just durr typical Japanese high school, actually gives it a feel of a university all the way around. And for both story, setting and character reasons, a university is far more appreciated than a high school in games for me. This has elevated my appreciation for the game quite a lot when it comes to things like progressing character interaction, like with the fisherman and engineer and such. The character interaction, outside of Rean and Alisa so far, has a good edge; I'll expound upon this when I finish the game.

3D animation is still whack. Cue Rean and his Blair Witch pose when assisting in the lacrosse field. Makes it doubly as hilarious though, I haven't laughed at a game like this in ages. Part of the game's charm by now to look awkward and stilted as hell.

Localization is fantastic as always. I see you and those plant puns XSEED.

Fast travel is a godsend. It's almost too flexible some of the time, but I'll never complain about fast travel being too good.

Turned voices back on. Final results...
Liked:
Rean, Elliot, Machias, Gaius, Jusis, Emma

Disliked:
Laura, Alisa, Sara, Fie

Laura's voice sounds soooooooo awkward. Sadly not awkward to the point of funny. Sara's voice dips in and out of being good but I feel like her VA was trying a bit too hard to slip in a personality type. Alisa's voice is wildly inconsistent and ultimately disagreeable.

Gaius sounds kind of deadpan but I suppose that's part of his character so I let it slide. Jusis has a perfect voice for a guy who grumbles a lot, and Machias is just the right amount of annoying to match his character too. Usually in ENG voice acting they fail hard at voicing "young guys" like Elliot, but his VA is surprisingly decent.

Xenoflare

Regarding AP, does the trophy requires you to receive full AP or just to the highest tier on the academic list? I'm under the impression that you can miss a few points but still obtain the highest level.

Top Bottom