• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

CrazyDude

I don't get how the Reinfords aren't nobles when they're the richest.

Being rich doesn't automatically make you a noble. You can see this in history in real life, in fact it's kind of how the whole noble system collapsed in much of the world. Merchant class got richer and richer while the noble class's wealth started to decrease.

Busaiku

They'll explain this specifically later why.
At the end of chapter 6?
Just got to Angelica, and I still don't understand why.
In fact, the fact that most of the Reinford corporation is out of the Reinfords' control makes me scratch my head even more.
Being rich doesn't automatically make you a noble. You can see this in history in real life, in fact it's kind of how the whole noble system collapsed in much of the world. Merchant class got richer and richer while the noble class's wealth started to decrease.
Yeah, but given that the Reinfords have the smarts, the tech, and the cash, I don't understand why they haven't supplanted those old dudes by now.

It's generally helpful to label where in the game spoiler tags refer to. Otherwise, they aren't actually serving much purpose. A black bar on its own is devoid of any meaning.

joe2187

Banned
Anyone wanna school me on how to read the stats screens for enemies?

It gives me so much data...I have no idea what Im looking at or what even means what!

CrazyDude

At the end of chapter 6?
Just got to Angelica, and I still don't understand why.
In fact, the fact that most of the Reinford corporation is out of the Reinfords' control makes me scratch my head even more.

Yeah, but given that the Reinfords have the smarts, the tech, and the cash, I don't understand why they haven't supplanted those old dudes by now.

Possibly because they don't need to. They have the power and influence of a noble, they just don't have the title. Trying to get the title is a waste of resources on their part. They also lose customers by trying to replace the nobles. Also the divisions of the company are divided between noble and imperial factions. Reinfords don't have complete control of their resources. The first division of the company is run by the uncle of one of the four noble houses.

Busaiku

Possibly because they don't need to. They have the power and influence of a noble, they just don't have the title. Trying to get the title is a waste of resources on their part.
But they're still generally under the nobles' thumbs.
Like she delayed the tax hike, but she can't just tell the Rogners to hit the curb.

Anyone wanna school me on how to read the stats screens for enemies?

It gives me so much data...I have no idea what Im looking at or what even means what!
The important things:
The 4 colored icon with bars next to them is the effectiveness of elemental attacks in percent. 100 = normal, higher = better

Below that is effectiveness of status changes. 100 = 100% chance, 50 = 50% chance and so on

the meaning of each individual status icon should be explained in the help section of the notebook

CrazyDude

But they're still generally under the nobles' thumbs.
Like she delayed the tax hike, but she can't just tell the Rogners to hit the curb.

Cause the company's divisions are very independent and have alliances to factions in the government. The first division is run by the brother the head of on of the four noble houses. She doesn't have total control of the companies resources. I mean it has been stated earlier that she doesn't even know all of the projects going on in the company.

Busaiku

Cause the company's divisions are very independent and have alliances to factions in the government. The first division is run by the brother the head of on of the four noble houses. She doesn't have total control of the companies resources. I mean it has been stated earlier that she doesn't even know all of the projects going on in the company.
Yeah, guess she just sucks at reeling the company in, exploding too fast after Gwyn.
Though was it stated if this division was already prior to her stepping up?

It may be a tad dramatic, but Reinford situation is not uncommon among big companies in the real world.

When you want aggressive growth, you end up empowering business divisions and suddenly you don't even know what the other parties are doing aside from the $$$ they bring.

CrazyDude

Yeah, guess she just sucks at reeling the company in, exploding too fast after Gwyn.
Though was it stated if this division was already prior to her stepping up?

I believe Gwyn created the divisions, but it was she who made them more independent so that there would be competition between the divisions and thus making them create better and newer products. This of course seemed to blow up in her face.

I believe Gwyn created the divisions, but it was she who made them more independent so that there would be competition between the divisions and thus making them create better and newer products. This of course seemed to blow up in her face.

It's fine if
everyone is loyal to her. But it does seem that she had to promote those who were not true allies to be division heads as thanks for the support to oust Gywn.

Yeah I found him unreliable. you have to be very close and other conversations can cause him to completely ignore one. I always just walk very close to any pond or river until I see an exclamation mark

that sucks. oh well, will have to search later. i think i'm almost at the end of ch.4 and found 0, lol.

Nyoro SF

Just started Chapter 5. I sure can't wait to see what will happen as we draw nearer to what happened in the
Prologue!
OK, starting homeroom, and...

jMDGx9b.jpg

...FUCK. Guess I'll deal with it. Let's see if this is worse than Marie.

Chapter 4 notes: Why hello
Ys: MoC, I didn't know the main bosses from that game were taking a break to join a terrorist organization lol. I'm digging the fact that I'll be eventually fighting a boss with a machine gun soon. I also enjoyed fighting the boss from Ninja Gaiden Black.

And my predictions dead wrong on Sara. A former bracer makes far more sense since the other teacher knew about her past, so that links it together rather nicely. Plus I should've realized from the code name "Purple Lightning" since of course other bracers have similar titles; totally slipped my mind.

Despite all the revelations and the people met, this was more of an introduction to the Comrades and and not really a plot pusher (though it's interesting to see Rean react to the Chancellor... fellow vampire/Great Knight?. Still, it was highly amusing to see Olivier again, and his amusing sister that knows what she wants; some of that manly, vampire goodness.

Excellent chapter 4 finale, I really, really dig
Comrade C's outfit. Lelouch and Code Geass jokes aside, I am really fascinated as to who that person could be. Hope he's not a Zero/Azure character that's here to confuse the fuck out of me.

I definitely don't know enough about the stuff behind the scenes yet.
Still, Fie had the best lines in chapter 4 bar none.

I honestly thought the answer would have been obvious as to why that is.
It's clear that they've been working together for years, likely since before Crow got his mech. They have their hands in just about everything in this series, no reason to assume that the ILF hasn't gotten help from them for tech.

Also I'm going to go ahead and assume that the mech Crow is using was known about for years and that they had been waiting for him to activate it. The game seems very Xenogears inspired in that regard, where you only have select people who can be the vessels/pilots for each mech.

Unless you were wanting to know how Ouroboros is capable of creating them?

Plus SC
Strongly implied that some high ups in Erebonia at least knew about Oroborus, considering they had non-orbal powered tanks ready to invade during the shutdown phenomenon.

The part that confuses me is that
I'm sure SC said that the Blood and Iron Chancellor was responsible for that incident, but Oroborus enforcers seemed to be working with the factions who were against him in CS

[CS End Game Spoilers]

What I mean is that
Unlike SC, where Ouroboros tech were still pretty much exclusively used by their own internal teams, Cold Steel implies that they have leaked out the technological know-how of how to make highly advanced airships/mechs to the Noble Faction, etc.

In SC, even with all the shenanigans of
Glorious, Pater-Mater, Gospel, etc
, the non-Ouroboros people
still don't have the ability to recreate the same kinds of tech they possess.
But CS implies
that now at least some of them can ( I don't imagine Reinford 5th Division are secretly all Ouroboros engineers), and I wonder what are the implications for the technological acceleration of the series moving forward

Eg. will Calvard & Liberl
in a post-CS timeline eventually also have an army of mechs of their own to counter the unexpected mechanisation of the Erebonia army?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nobody wants to use my spoiler thread, so what can I say. =(

My favourite Fie line from chapter 4 :

Fie :
(Cedric) he's cute
Ao/Zero/3rd put people off I assume

Lol, I kept a separate save file so I could go through everyone's relationship fortune again later.

Quick question- What Insight do and why do I want to increase it? I didn't think much about it before but now that I discover the OPness of SPD and DELAY, I don't want to miss out on anything.

How does this game compare quality wise to say Trails in the Sky?

Combat is better. Graphics are rough but do the job.

Writing and characters are just as good, you just have to like the military academy setting and more modern anime tropes.

EDIT: I'll have to say though, what the game lacks in 3D graphics quality it makes up in presentation. Menus/UI/UX are super polished.
Also I somehow forgot to mention the music, lol. It's incredible, of course.

Dio

Banned
Combat is better. Graphics are rough but do the job.

Writing and characters are just as good, you just have to like the military academy setting and more modern anime tropes.

Yeah, this. Trails in the Sky had late-90s and early-2000s anime tropes out the goddamned ass, and Falcom generally makes games that reflect the current landscape of videogames/anime.

Also I think Cold Steel's OST eclipses FC/SC's soundtrack on the whole as a full package, even if Silver Will is one of the best Trails songs.

Yeah, this. Trails in the Sky had late-90s and early-2000s anime tropes out the goddamned ass, and Falcom generally makes games that reflect the current landscape of videogames/anime.

Yep. It definitely feels like an amalgamation of many popular games and animes. You can't deny the Persona influence. And while that could end up being a terrible and generic mess if it was done by a worse studio, Falcom pulls it off so well.

Nyoro SF

Combat system is more streamlined and offers more options, but in turn is totally broken. It's true that in Sky you could manipulate the system in your favor in lots of mid-tier battles, but it was very much possible to get shown up by a road monster or a major boss (forced-circumstance boss fights). CS is like DMC4 where you just realize that you can keep breaking things to the point of no return.

Hard to compare soundtracks. Each soundtrack for Sky and Steel are trying to impart a different feel to the player, I wouldn't say they compete. (Fate of the Fairies is still such a god-tier song though...)

The cutscene direction and animations of Steel are horrendous quality, but they're charming in a kind of B-movie sort of way. Sky is like watching someone tell a story using little chess pieces, but Cold Steel looks like they decided to mocap crash test dummies.

So quality-wise I'd say there's no reason you shouldn't be satisfied by playing Cold Steel. The storytelling is just as great as always. Different presentation that's all.

(Though there are some elements that I wouldn't mind pruned from CS... that do not really have a Sky parallel)

Dio

Banned
The cutscene direction and animations of Steel are horrendous quality, but they're charming in a kind of B-movie sort of way. Sky is like watching someone tell a story using little chess pieces, but Cold Steel looks like they decided to mocap crash test dummies.

Lucky for you, Cold Steel II has way improved animation quality.

Cold Steel is as if Falcom thought they could just make another Trails game ala Sky/Zero/Ao, but just in 3D scale and realised only towards the end of the game's development that with moving to 3D comes the need to actually present it in a non-abstracted way, and that they needed character animators, cinematographic know-how, scene direction, storyboarding, etc.

Nyoro SF

Lucky for you, Cold Steel II has way improved animation quality.

Indeed. I hope the cutscene direction is improved as well; it doesn't feel very.. significant if I (chapter 4)
tell a boss that I'll cut him if he makes the wrong move, and then G proceeds to basically do a checklist of actions 2 feet from my sword like I'm not there or something lol

Cold Steel is as if Falcom thought they could just make another Trails game ala Sky/Zero/Ao, but just in 3D scale and realised only towards the end of the game's development that with moving to 3D comes the need to actually present it in a non-abstracted way, and that they needed character animators, cinematographic know-how, scene direction, storyboarding, etc.

Reminds me of the scene with Fie dodging without moving her body. Static body movement like you'd see in a Sky game. It looks so awkward, yet charming to a guy like me. If CS2 does fix that I suppose I might miss it. That and the groundsurfing running animation.

Erheller

Mild post-credit spoiler:
I like how Machias' shotgun looks so out of place sticking out of the sand

I'll post some ending impressions later; it's almost 4 am

i'm only on chapter 4. i hope the story gets better soon. i don't have anything nice to say currently.

the battle system is great. everything is faster, you can skip all animation, you have more options, less useless skills. hard mode starts out balanced, turns into easymode by ch.2.

the presentation in event scenes is pretty bad. you're looking at brushed up ps2 era models while stuff happens. i'm not excited to meet new persons because they all look so generic. this could be easily fixed by showing artwork. growlanser and persona should've been their mentor here.

soundtrack is godlike. no fairy track yet, but who knows.

maybe that sounds harsh. i just want to say that playability improved tremendously while story and style took a hit.

Pellaidh

Neo Member
Finished this, and it managed to completely surpass my expectations, even beating out Trails in the Sky FC and coming pretty close to SC, which was something I didn't think was going to happen after being blown away by how incredible SC ended up being.

To get the biggest thing out of the way first, I was very skeptical of the anime high school setting, and went into the game thinking that at least you get to spend a large portion of it on field trips. Turns out though, that I actually ended up enjoying the parts spent in the school just as much, if not even more than the trips. The individual NPC stories were something that was highly praised in Trails in the Sky, but it was kind of hard to fully appreciate given how far apart most NPCs were from the main story path. On the other hand, Cold Steel makes almost all of them easily accessible thanks to the school serving as central location that you keep coming back to, which makes this aspect of the franchise much easier to appreciate. Most of the minor stories were pretty good, too, with some of them even beating stories of main characters in some mid-tier JRPGs. Getting a new quest in your mailbox and knowing immediately what it was going to be about just by seeing who the quest was from felt great, as did things like
hearing the book club president talking about how excited she was to show her finished book to Emma tomorrow, and then seeing Emma having a bonding event available the next day

The soundtrack was amazing, of course. The combat themes, in particular, were incredible. I really can't wait for the sequel if it really manages to improve the already spectacular OST.

The localization was also top-notch, despite being handled by a different team than Trails in the Sky. I remember a lot of impressions about the voice acting in the story trailer being rather negative, but I think the game nailed the English dub, with some exceptions. Sara, Crow, Sharon, Rean and
Olivert, who I thought was going to be impossible to get right
were the highlights for me. Thank to this and Lailah in Tales of Zestiria, Carrie Keranen (Sara) is now one of my favorite English voice actresses. Didn't really like Towa all that much, although that might be more because of her overall character, and
Millium at least managed to sound incredibly annoying, which I guess fits with her character
. Everyone else was pretty good, except for Elise and Alfin. Script wise, XSEED really managed to strip away a lot of things that would have made this game seem a bit too Japanese, despite taking place in a clearly Japanese inspired high school environment.

Gameplay wise, this was a clear improvement over Trails in the Sky in pretty much every aspect. The combat is faster and much more fluid. There might be a lot of ways to break the combat with different character builds, but I personally think that's much better than Sky locking you into essentially a single viable strategy on harder difficulties. Speaking of difficulties, I played on hard, just like in Sky, and this was definitely much easier. The difficulty curve was better balanced though (minor Sky SC difficulty spoilers)
(so no more prologue bosses being one of the the hardest fights in the game and absurdly huge difficulty spikes near the end)
. Overall, I enjoyed the combat in this much more than in Sky, although (ending spoiler)
that final robot fight was awful, even on hard, and making character levels actually matter for it was a pretty awful idea, especially since you can't really grind for it. Makes me kind of glad I didn't play this on nightmare

Character wise, I think this game mostly suffers from simply having too many characters. The playable party is already pretty large, and when you add in all of the major supporting characters, there simply isn't enough time to properly develop a lot of them.
Gaius is the biggest victim of this, essentially all but disappearing from the story after chapter 3, and a lot of other characters also take a backseat after the chapter focused on them is over
. The other problem I had with the cast was Rean.
Sure, I can see how his character arc has a lot of potential that will hopefully be expended on in the sequel, but he just lacks personality, especially when compared to Estelle. This would be fine if he was a side character, but it just feels like they were playing a bit too safe in order to make him relateable to as many people as possible
. The rest of the cast was kind of a mixed bag. Sara, Crow, Sharon and Fie particularly stand out to me as great. Sara, Sharon and Crow bring in some much needed flavor and fun to the cast, and Fie really surprised me since i didn't expect to like her at all based on initial impressions.
I really enjoyed the scene of Sara drinking for her lost comrade, since it was one of the few moments that showcased a different side to her character, and Fie's side story of her trying to raise the flowers was unexpectedly pretty touching, as was the fact that she's essentially the only female classmate with no romantic undertones at all
. Laura, Emma, Jusis and Machias were all pretty good, as were
Elliot's interactions with his family
. Gaius was alright,
but he barely did anything in the story
. Towa was pretty bad. I'm not really a fan of the whole super nice and perfect student council president trope,
and for having so many story scenes over the course of the entire game, her character remained mostly static. She also had no real impact on the overall story so far. I hope Col Steel II does something with her, as otherwise there were many relevant to the plot characters with actual character arcs that the game could have focused on instead
. Finally, Elise was
awful, with a completely unnecessary and tropey story that added nothing to the game. Thankfully, it doesn't look like it's going to go anywhere, at least I sure hope so

Story wise, this was pretty incredible. The word world-building often gets tossed around when describing the franchise, but it's only after playing all three currently available games that I feel like I understand what people mean by this. This game came out 7 years after Sky SC, and yet the world of Erebonia feels incredibly consistent with how it was described there, with tons of incredibly minor things from Sky being referenced. Things like
Carnellia being written by the pawn shop owner and having Toval as the protagonist, or the food in Garellia fortress being awful just like Mueller mentioned off hand in Sky SC
were really nice touches. The world just manages to feel alive and well thought out, especially considering how some franchises can't even keep important lore consistent between two consecutive games in the franchise (looking at you, Dragon Age).

As far as the actual plot is concerned, I felt it took a while to get going. Not as slow as Sky FC, but it wasn't really until
the end of Chapter 5
that things really started happening. After the story gets going though, it really gets going.
The resolution to cliffhanger at the end of the prologue was a pretty hilarious troll
. Chapter 6 was great,
especially thanks to the interactions between Rean and Sharon and Fie
. The last chapter, however, completely blew me away.
First there was the school festival, which provided plenty of opportunity for further character development between Rean and the party members
It was also nice to actually get a school festival, especially considering that
(Persona spoilers)
I'm still a bit mad at at Persona 4 just straight up cancelling it during the story.
Another one of my favorite moments here was
the book club in the second day, with a little kid crying that a bunch of weirdos abducted his sister
. Everything after the
final schoolhouse floor was incredible. First the idol concert, which was awesome, even if it was perhaps completely out of place, the dance was nice, with my personal favorite partner segments being Sara's and Fie's. Also, whoever came up with the trophy names for the dance partners was having a lot of fun, and they're all pretty great. After that though, things started moving at an absolutely rapid pace, with an avalanche of revelations, each of which could probably serve as a cliffhanger to the next game by itself. The atmosphere in the school after Garellia fortress was destroyed was incredible, with even some of the most cheery characters being completely shaken up. The twist with Crow was pretty well executed. You could immediately something was different with him when he returned the money he owned to Rean, and after he cleans up his room and boards the train to the capital, my first thought was essentially "oh wait, Crow's name does start with C". And then he assassinates the Chancellor, which would be a pretty good way for most games to set up their sequel, but Cold Steel is just getting started here. Suddenly, there's a giant airship filled with mechs, the radio broadcaster was an Ouroborus Anguis, and Sharon was an enforcer. The fight between the academy staff and the invading mechs was pretty great, especially seeing Beatrice with a huge sniper rifle. And then, of course, there's the final mech duel between Rean (with a talking cat copilot) and Crow. The game essentially turning into a mecha right at the end wasn't something I could ever have predicted, and it was pretty damn awesome. And then there's the cliffhanger, which makes the ending of Sky FC look conclusive

Overall, I really enjoyed this, even after playing it almost immediately after finishing Sky SC (which is now one of my favorite JRPGs, up there with Persona). It didn't quite manage to reach the heights of Sky SC, but it was way better than I expected it to be from the setting and the aesthetic. With Persona 5 and Cold Steel 2, next year looks like it's going to be amazing for JRPG fans, and I'm actually pretty conflicted over which of the two I'm more excited for.

Gamekult gave the game a 5/10.

Pros :
-Difficulty is well balanced
-Great Combat System

Cons :
-Dated visuals
-disapointing animations
-the background is not well exploited.
-characters without depth
-Boring

Hu.....It makes me very cautious about the game (I'm in France, it is not out yet) since I tend to mostly agree with GK reviews.

Pros :
-Great Combat System

Cons :
-Dated visuals
-disapointing animations
-Boring

Hu.....It makes me very cautious about the game (I'm in France, it is not out yet) since I tend to mostly agree with GK reviews.

Accurate:
-Great Combat System
-Dated visuals
-disappointing animations (Not entirely true either though)

Inaccurate:
-Boring

Pros :
-Great Combat System

Cons :
-Dated visuals
-disapointing animations
-Boring

I dunno how someone could claim the cast doesn't have depth unless they only played an hour and stopped

Art/Animation : The game's visually dated with poor animations. That much is true. The question to ask is whether or not a game looking like a PS2-era game is detrimental to your gaming experience, and how much of the score that GK gave was due to that factor.

Background : Honestly, that the background is not well exploited is kind of true to an extent. But at the same time, this game is part of a trilogy, and the story does not shy away from the often emphasized aspect of the fact that the protagonist are students, and that it's not part of their current daily lives to be involved with the interesting elements that the background pieces of Trails is building. Trails is that kind of story.

Character : I disagree that they're without depth. However, at the same time, the nature of the cast (9+ characters) mean that some character are not super deep in their drama.

Sure some of the points aren't completely wrong, but I don't see how this results in a 5/10 unless you only look at everything superficially.

and if you have to break the game down into pros and cons, there are a lot more pros you could mention to balance it out.
The only good thing are the battles? really?

the world? the localization? the music? I don't even understand how you can put characters into cons with the huge amount of varied and great characters this game has

Gu4n

Hm. I'm working on my review right now and although this is my least favourite instalment in the series, I'm much more positive.

Bladenic

Accurate:
-Great Combat System
-Dated visuals
-disappointing animations (Not entirely true either though)

Inaccurate:
-Boring

Agreed. Plus in battle animations like later spells and S-crafts look pretty awesome

That was my thought. It's Falcom's Pokemon X/Y or Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, a bridge tech-wise from the old way to the new way.

[CS End Game Spoilers]

What I mean is that
Unlike SC, where Ouroboros tech were still pretty much exclusively used by their own internal teams, Cold Steel implies that they have leaked out the technological know-how of how to make highly advanced airships/mechs to the Noble Faction, etc.

In SC, even with all the shenanigans of
Glorious, Pater-Mater, Gospel, etc
, the non-Ouroboros people
still don't have the ability to recreate the same kinds of tech they possess.
But CS implies
that now at least some of them can ( I don't imagine Reinford 5th Division are secretly all Ouroboros engineers), and I wonder what are the implications for the technological acceleration of the series moving forward

Eg. will Calvard & Liberl
in a post-CS timeline eventually also have an army of mechs of their own to counter the unexpected mechanisation of the Erebonia army?

post-game:
That's been a theme so far in this series and it sounds incredibly awesome from a WW1-esque manner so I sure hope so!

Agreed. Plus in battle animations like later spells and S-crafts look pretty awesome

Gaius' Scraft was best in-game.

Bladenic

That was my thought. It's Falcom's Pokemon X/Y or Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, a bridge tech-wise from the old way to the new way.

post-game:
That's been a theme so far in this series and it sounds incredibly awesome from a WW1-esque manner so I sure hope so!

Gaius' Scraft was best in-game.

I like Gaius, Emma, Fie, Elliott
Crow, Angelica, and Sara

So I guess I liked a lot of them quite a bit haha.

Top Bottom