• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Oreiller

Gamekult gave the game a 5/10.

Pros :
-Difficulty is well balanced
-Great Combat System

Cons :
-Dated visuals
-disapointing animations
-the background is not well exploited.
-characters without depth
-Boring

Hu.....It makes me very cautious about the game (I'm in France, it is not out yet) since I tend to mostly agree with GK reviews.

It was reviewed by ExServ who thinks that the plot in Witcher 3 is deeper, and less immature, than the one in Witcher 2. I think it's safe to say he doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time.

Just finished the game. I can honestly say it's my favorite game of 2016 since this is the only game I played this year yet :-D

But seriously, I really enjoyed the game. Story is very interesting and the ending drops a lot of twists. Really looking forward to ToCS2 now.

Now onto platinum-ing the game.

At the end of chapter 6?
Just got to Angelica, and I still don't understand why.
In fact, the fact that most of the Reinford corporation is out of the Reinfords' control makes me scratch my head even more.

It's explained in the final library book

Pros :
-Great Combat System

Cons :
-Dated visuals
-disapointing animations
-Boring

Hu.....It makes me very cautious about the game (I'm in France, it is not out yet) since I tend to mostly agree with GK reviews.
The text mention a lack of plot. Basically, the reviewer found the game pretty boring, which doesn't align with my experience so far (chapter 6) at all.

I will pay $500 American dollars for the first jRPG where when someone older than you offers you a drink and you're a teenager you have a choice to take it. $1000 dollars. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will ever happen.

Anyways, did anyone else notice that Emma's voice acting in cutscenes vs. in active voice or card game or little asides is delivered very different? Her regular acting is nowhere near bad but in the active voices and such it really seems like she has more personality and speaks more naturally.

That said, Emma is growing on me. Justis and Mechias are still fuckboys but at least I'm hanging with Fie and Emma who are fleshing out pretty well. Final party will probs be Rean, Laura, Fie, Emma.

Pellaidh

Neo Member
After finishing this and Trails in the Sky, I feel like I need another good JRPG to help me wait for the sequel. Does anyone here have any suggestions for other games that are similar to Trails in terms of characters and a well realized world?

I've been looking Suikoden, Breath of Fire or Arc the Lad, but would like some opinions (as well as other suggestions) from other Trails fans, since Trails is one of the few JRPGs where I've loved the story and characters this much (with the other big exception being Persona).

Gu4n

After finishing this and Trails in the Sky, I feel like I need another good JRPG to help me wait for the sequel. Does anyone here have any suggestions for other games that are similar to Trails in terms of characters and a well realized world?

I've been looking Suikoden, Breath of Fire or Arc the Lad, but would like some opinions (as well as other suggestions) from other Trails fans, since Trails is one of the few JRPGs where I've loved the story and characters this much (with the other big exception being Persona).
To be perfectly honest, ever since I finished playing the games I started playing them again. I finished FC Evo, platinumed Cold Steel II and expect SC Evo to come in next time. Hardly anything manages to keep my attention ever since.

Anyways, did anyone else notice that Emma's voice acting in cutscenes vs. in active voice or card game or little asides is delivered very different? Her regular acting is nowhere near bad but in the active voices and such it really seems like she has more personality and speaks more naturally.
I noticed that for other characters as well.
Fie and Machias for example.

I will pay $500 American dollars for the first jRPG where when someone older than you offers you a drink and you're a teenager you have a choice to take it. $1000 dollars. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will ever happen.

They're never going to let that or sex happen. Pearls would be clutched too hard.

Suikoden 1,2,3,5 are great especially 2, but keep in mind they go much darker much harder and regularly than Trails does. Darkness is not a visitor, it doesn't just live there, it owns the house.

Murayama's baby has to be where the writers get their world-building acumen and individuals-in-times-of-trouble-aware mentality from. Keep in mind the casts are by design much larger.

Suikoden 1,2,3,5 are great especially 2, but keep in mind they go much darker much harder and regularly than Trails does. Darkness is not a visitor, it doesn't just live there, it owns the house.

That's an exaggeration. You're making the series sound like some grimdark story they really aren't. The tone of the Suikoden games isn't really quite that dark. It's not really that far from SC.

2 also is a fantastic game but is regularly overblown by people considering I'd probably put 3 pretty damn close and 5 on the same level. 3 and 5 have much better implementation of a lot of features in 2 as well as more polish and streamlining. 2 still has a lot of holdovers from 1 which was a good game but regularly fell into a lot of poor execution.

If Suikoden 2 is like a 9 to most people, 3 is an 8.5 and 5 is a 9 as well. 1 is like a 7.5.

5's main problem is how easily you can set up runes to make OP characters. I made set ups that with 2 characters could just run roughshod over every single boss. Thank you Isabel and Zerase.

That's an exaggeration. You're making the series sound like some grimdark story they really aren't. The tone of the Suikoden games isn't really quite that dark. It's not really that far from SC.

Agreed, some dark moments, particularly in 2, and some very sad moments in V, but the series is also charming with a real sense of adventure.

5's main problem is how easily you can set up runes to make OP characters. I made set ups that with 2 characters could just run roughshod over every single boss. Thank you Isabel and Zerase.

5's problem is its abysmal pacing. And Lucretia, the worst character in the entire series. I'd put 5 on the bottom half of the series ranking with the first 3 games all being comfortably better.

But really, the combat in every Suikoden game other than 3 is stupidly easy and requires little thought. Auto-battle or use unites for randoms, spam runes against bosses, rinse and repeat. You don't play these games for their compelling combat.

5's problem is its abysmal pacing. And Lucretia, the worst character in the entire series. I'd put 5 on the bottom half of the series ranking with the first 3 games all being comfortably better.

But really, the combat in every Suikoden game other than 3 is stupidly easy and requires little thought. Auto-battle or use unites for randoms, spam runes against bosses, rinse and repeat. You don't play these games for their compelling combat.

Oooo yeah, I forgot about the pacing. The beginning is like 10 fucking hours long.

Lucretia is great, you're crazy. I'd definitely put 5 above 1 and 3. Barely above 3. 3 has pretty bad pacing issues as well, ignoring the separate character/chapter system was handled pretty miserably. They both have stellar plots and characters.

I do enjoy that no matter how much people disagree about Suikodens though, that all of us pretend 4 never happened.

I would suggest playing suikoden; 1-3 are available on PSN, 4&5 will need to be bought online or some retro game store. 2&5 are the best of the series( Suikoden 2 is alwaly in someone's "greatest RPG's of all time" list)

Breath of 4 is good, looks amazing for a PS1 game

Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger are very cheap right now

Also would recommend the Grandia series

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Suikoden will capture the appeal of world building and a political plot.

Grandia will give you the lighthearted adventure of FC/SC.

Lunar and Lunar 2 will give you similar character based stories with a fairly lighthearted plot. Don't play the PSP or GBA version.

Trails is like putting those three series in a blender and making the ultimate JRPG smoothie.

Droplet

I'm on chapter 6 and I still have no idea wtf Elliot is saying during his link attack.

I think it's "I'll take you up"? I got confused by Sara's "drinks are on me! Someday", took me a while to figure out the "someday".

After reading through the voice acting blog post where they talk about time limits it became pretty apparent why some of the battle and blade dialogue sounds so awkward. It gives me a lot of appreciation for when things sound good.

Busaiku

Power levels are weird on this game.
Is Sara like above C or something.

It's cool that they established that humans are pretty much fodder to tech though.

Nyoro SF

I think it's "I'll take you up"? I got confused by Sara's "drinks are on me! Someday", took me a while to figure out the "someday".

After reading through the voice acting blog post where they talk about time limits it became pretty apparent why some of the battle and blade dialogue sounds so awkward. It gives me a lot of appreciation for when things sound good.

Close, he's saying "I'll take you on".

Though not on the same level as Fie shouting "SYLPHEED DICKS"

Or the super long pause before Elliot and Machias say anything post-battle to their teammates. It's like *wait* *shrug for 5 seconds* *response* lol

All funny in their own way.

Bladenic

Or the super long pause before Elliot and Machias say anything post-battle to their teammates. It's like *wait* *shrug for 5 seconds* *response* lol

I've never heard it as dicks lmao

Pros :
-Great Combat System

Cons :
-Dated visuals
-disapointing animations
-Boring

GameKult , did a Gamekult ... they are harsher than needed on any franchise that isn't mainstream

The background complain is laughable how innacurate it is.
And the character lack depth if you don't do the basic job of reading the freaking dialogue.
A rushed review as usual.

I heard it as Sylpheed Dance on the first attempt :|

Never had an issue with hearing the voices.

Its a good thing level 5 angel master quartz is broken as fuck. The chapter 6 final boss did a bs move that put faint for 5! Turns on the whole party. Reviving 2x a battle with max stats is comically OP

Busaiku

Ha, the duet and solo act make so much sense to appeal to both demographics.
Dorothee is gonna go crazy.
Its a good thing level 5 angel master quartz is broken as fuck. The chapter 6 final boss did a bs move that put faint for 5! Turns on the whole party. Reviving 2x a battle with max stats is comically OP
Angelica and 2 characters with Chrono Burst made that battle ridiculous as well.

So the opening of chapte 7 is a
budget cut? Feels bizarre for so much including Rean's home town to be off screened

More like a cut due to timing. They wanted the game out that year and actually developing the extra area would have pushed it to the next. There is a fan translation for the drama cd at least, just a shame that Xseed couldn't push to have an official one included since I guess it's referred to in CS II alot.

More like a cut due to timing. They wanted the game out that year and actually developing the extra area would have pushed it to the next. There is a fan translation for the drama cd at least, just a shame that Xseed couldn't push to have an official one included since I guess it's referred to in CS alot.
The fan translation isn't very good, but the events in it are interesting enough that it's worth reading anyway.

More like a cut due to timing. They wanted the game out that year and actually developing the extra area would have pushed it to the next. There is a fan translation for the drama cd at least, just a shame that Xseed couldn't push to have an official one included since I guess it's referred to in CS alot.

The fan translation isn't very good, but the events in it are interesting enough that it's worth reading anyway.

Gotcha, disappointing I hate how so many jrpgs have canon drama cds only in Japan :( we get all this other crap in these ce why not a dub of something canon

hawk2025

Fucking hell, this train trip in chapter 3 feels like it's taking 8 hours in real life...

Get to it, game. How many times do we need the camera panning over the train and the train seats?

Neoweee

Fucking hell, this train trip in chapter 3 feels like it's taking 8 hours in real life...

Get to it, game. How many times do we need the camera panning over the train and the train seats?

Yeah, the pacing of the game starts to get super sketchy where you are.

Slow camera pans plus the crappy text mechanics is a bad combo. I've skipped dozen of lines of text accidentally.

All RPGs need the text/animation mechanics that Bioware and CDPR have started doing in their games. It makes a huge difference in playability.

So the opening of chapte 7 is a
budget cut? Feels bizarre for so much including Rean's home town to be off screened

More like a cut due to timing. They wanted the game out that year and actually developing the extra area would have pushed it to the next. There is a fan translation for the drama cd at least, just a shame that Xseed couldn't push to have an official one included since I guess it's referred to in CS II alot.

The drama CD translation's link is here :

[Spoilers Up till End of Chapter 6]

http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.my/2014/04/sen-no-kiseki-drama-cd.html

One can easily see how it's literally structured very much like an actual story chapter with an end boss

The drama CD translation's link is here :

[Spoilers Up till End of Chapter 6]

http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.my/2014/04/sen-no-kiseki-drama-cd.html

One can easily see how it's literally structured very much like an actual story chapter with an end boss

Yeah, that seems pretty significant. Aside from
actually addressing Reans flashback we keep seeing
, it actually gives (full game)
Oroborus a proper introduction, something which I felt like the game itself didn't really properly do, which felt odd for a game which was supposed to be a good jumping on point. You really only get that dialogue from Sara during chapter 5, at least before the ending sequence.

The chapter 7 bike event, should I take someone who isn't level 5 link or take the person I want for the bonding trophy even if they're already level 5?

Edit: answered my own question, it depends entierly on link level so I just redid the event with my lowers link level partner

Nyoro SF

Chapter 5
old schoolhouse
boss finally gave me a challenge. Fast, damaging, status effect that most people are very much unprepared for. Luckily I managed to distract his attention with my two main attackers and just barely managed to get Emma off out of sight, but the cold lethality almost caught me off guard.

Luckily he has no AoEs and once everyone was spread out there wasn't much he could do to my super-buffed attackers. Thank you, Gaius, and your unreasonably large health pool.

Neoweee

Chapter 5
old schoolhouse
boss finally gave me a challenge. Fast, damaging, status effect that most people are very much unprepared for. Luckily I managed to distract his attention with my two main attackers and just barely managed to get Emma off out of sight, but the cold lethality almost caught me off guard.

Luckily he has no AoEs and once everyone was spread out there wasn't much he could do to my super-buffed attackers. Thank you, Gaius, and your unreasonably large health pool.

That thing completely stomped me on Hard. It took gaining a few levels and completely revamping my strategy to finally stand a chance, and even then it was a long, hard slog.

Great boss fight. Definitely one of the highlights in my first 40 hours.

omgfloofy

Banned
I've suspected for awhile that the drama CD was something they intended to have in the game and had to cut due to development time. I've said in here a few times that it seems like they had development issues with the game and basically ran straight up against the deadline to have the game submitted to get it printed and so forth.

Kondo has confirmed that there was other stuff for Sen II/CS2 that never made it to the game due to issues with the systems for the game, as well, as an example.

Bladenic

I've suspected for awhile that the drama CD was something they intended to have in the game and had to cut due to development time. I've said in here a few times that it seems like they had development issues with the game and basically ran straight up against the deadline to have the game submitted to get it printed and so forth.

Kondo has confirmed that there was other stuff for Sen II/CS2 that never made it to the game due to issues with the systems for the game, as well, as an example.

Well now they have CS3 for that stuff lmao.

Just finished reading the drama CD translation and I'm honestly pretty mad that they cut that. I mean it definitely felt super awkward how it was presented.

Fix your goddamn PhyreEngine shit, Sony. :p

Also, Falcom, Cold Steel I+II Remaster for PS4 (with additional content) in-between Ys VIII and Cold Steel III pls.

Famassu

I think Suikodens are a step or two harsher than Trails games. I mean, (Suiko 1 spoilers)
Suikoden 1 starts with your best friend being killed and the top brass of the rebel alliance being slaughtered soon after.
There's death & suffering in Trails' world, but a lot of is in the past (used as a kind of "this is why that particular character is the way he/she is" storytelling device and not something that shocks players in the here & now of the world) or casualties are some nameless soldiers (apart from a few). Important characters are usually just injured and they'll be walking like new in no time.

Not that Suikoden's way is ultimately better, but yeah I'd say Suikoden doesn't quite pussyfoot around destroying whole villages & killing important characters in the world as much as Trails does. Assassinations succeed, back-stabbings have casualties instead of just bruised egos etc. Some village being destroyed 5-15 years in the past doesn't feel quite as impactful as seeing some village that you had just spent time at in flames as some villain succeeded in his attack fully.

That said, I know (Second Chapter/TC character spoiler)
Renne's
sucky past will be explored in games not localized yet and that might go darker than most of Suikodens. Still, a majority of Trails is a bit more optimistic & successful in the fight against villains than Suikodens are.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Falcom seems to have a problem with being overly ambitious. Wasn't Sky supposed to be one game that was later split into two? Then they were going to make a sequel in Erebonia but decided it wasn't time yet so went to Crossbell instead? Then decided they needed another Sky game to bridge the gap? And Cold Steel I and II were supposed to be one game as well.

I mean, kudos to them for actually delivering on such ambitious projects, but you'd think they'd plan a little more accurately by now, haha.

Falcom seems to have a problem with being overly ambitious. Wasn't Sky supposed to be one game that was later split into two? Then they were going to make a sequel in Erebonia but decided it wasn't time yet so went to Crossbell instead? Then decided they needed another Sky game to bridge the gap? And Cold Steel I and II were supposed to be one game as well.

I mean, kudos to them for actually delivering on such ambitious projects, but you'd think they'd plan a little more accurately by now, haha.

Well, so far the good thing about Falcom & Trails is that even though they overextend themselves all the time, they almost never leave anything hanging. Even if it detours their plan a little bit, they'll get out the content they want to out there, even if it means splitting up the games or releasing some of it as non-game content. (drama CD, for example)

I'd rather wait an additional 5-10 years to get the entirety of the Trails as they envisioned, rather than bite sized cuts here and there.

Top Bottom