• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Zephyx

Is the framerate worse than the Atelier series for Vita/PSTV? I was able to manage through that so if it's not worse, I think I can handle it. Still finishing up TiTS:SC and it's taking too long :p

More reason not to do anything with Sara ever.

"The Empire hasn't yet turned out a man desperate enough to woo that alcoholic typhoon."

For anyone who is looking for assistance/is curious on how the
dance
event works...

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...trails-cold-steel-trophy-guide-roadmap-3.html

Top of this section right here, the "Magic Moment" trophy guide.

There's a few specific factors for being able to have those scenes with any given character, that lays it out pretty clearly.

You need to have either spent a bonding point with them on the free day before the dance, gone on the motorcycle ride with them, or spend at least two tickets with them on the day of the festival. While meeting specific requirements for Bonding XP.

Also, since you specifically mentioned Laura, I was talking about her several pages back. I really liked her event there, and her event at the ending scene, so it's worth it to earn that ending if you liked her a lot as a character. There's a really good Platinum walkthrough here:

http://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-THE-LEGEND-OF-HEROES-TRAILS-OF-COLD-STEEL-Overall-Walkthrough

That I used for my last half of the first playthrough and entire second playthrough.

Ah, so that's how in my game
Fie edged out Laura and Emma who had a few slinkin' episodes and who Rean spent a ton of time in-battle. Like, Fie was on the bench past Ch 2 and I had approximately the same number of slinks but bike + Mischy win I guess sealed it.

Glad to see another wave of users join us in beating the game.

I hope now all of you understand the insanity myself and a few others were going through when we first beat the game and wanting to play the second one. It does get easier to wait for it every day... but I still watch the anime opening of CS2 like 5 times a day.

Nyoro SF

Chapter 2 spoilers:
http://i.imgur.com/QYF0AwR.png
Laura has very good taste. :p

Chapter 5 spoilers:
http://i.imgur.com/Y8cwGWh.png
Crow so poor that
he can only afford a 240p blown up bitmap of an anime girl poster

For anyone who is looking for assistance/is curious on how the
dance
event works...

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...trails-cold-steel-trophy-guide-roadmap-3.html

Top of this section right here, the "Magic Moment" trophy guide.

There's a few specific factors for being able to have those scenes with any given character, that lays it out pretty clearly.

You need to have either spent a bonding point with them on the free day before the dance, gone on the motorcycle ride with them, or spend at least two tickets with them on the day of the festival. While meeting specific requirements for Bonding XP.

Also, since you specifically mentioned Laura, I was talking about her several pages back. I really liked her event there, and her event at the ending scene, so it's worth it to earn that ending if you liked her a lot as a character. There's a really good Platinum walkthrough here:

http://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-THE-LEGEND-OF-HEROES-TRAILS-OF-COLD-STEEL-Overall-Walkthrough

That I used for my last half of the first playthrough and entire second playthrough.

Wow, that is even more obtuse. You have to spend the points/tickets at those specific times, it has nothing to do with links? And
you have to redefeat the final boss over and over...

Maybe I'll just look up Japanese video channels to see if anyone has a full record of those scenes.
That's honestly disappointing how they deliberately structured it so that it would inconvenience the player in the highest way possible.

Famassu

Wow, that is even more obtuse. You have to spend the points/tickets at those specific times, it has nothing to do with links?
You do have to have max link with everyone (so links aren't totally for nothing) PLUS one of those other criteria needs to be fulfilled. It's lvl 5 link with Class VII people
who are there from the start
, a bit less on some people like Sara and you have to have spent at least some special time in the final chapters of the game with them, be it the festival or a bonding point in Chapter 6 or the
motorcycle ride

But yes, how they've done it is crap. Though, then again, this is a franchise that probably takes credit in the fact that they have some insanely time-limited stuff for completionists. Like, some 2 minute window in which to talk to some NPC twice in a completely different city to get a Character note update in the notebook for some completely different character in the school.

You do have to have max link with everyone (so links aren't totally for nothing) PLUS one of those other criteria needs to be fulfilled. It's lvl 5 link with Class VII people
who are there from the start
, a bit less on some people like Sara and you have to have spent at least some special time in the final chapters of the game with them, be it the festival or a bonding point in Chapter 6 or the
motorcycle ride

But yes, how they've done it is crap. Though, then again, this is a franchise that probably takes credit in the fact that they have some insanely time-limited stuff for completionists. Like, some 2 minute window in which to talk to some NPC twice in a completely different city to get a Character note update in the notebook for some completely different character in the school.

Are you sure those are requirements on top of the XP and not just instructions for how to get enough XP to meet the requirements?

Are you sure those are requirements on top of the XP and not just instructions for how to get enough XP to meet the requirements?
They are. Basically, you need to be a certain Link level, and you also need to do one (or two) trigger events.

All these events add up to a maximum of nine characters for a playthrough (
4 bonding points for daytime chapter 6, 1 for evening, 1 for the bike event, and 3 by using 2 tickets on each
).

Droplet

Welp, I don't think I have a save before
the dance
in my first playthrough, guess I can't plat this. Whatever, I'm a winner in my heart! :( Plus...I'll probably miss some treasure chest somewhere even with detection.
And no way am I going through the final dungeon twice in the same playthrough...

finished chapter 5. good boss fights all around. balance is back (hard). story is getting interesting. took them long enough.

still didn't manage to get S rank for chapter completion. it's always A. i think i had one B because i didn't study, lol.

Finished this off yesterday and ended up loving it a lot more than I was expecting. Feel like it could have maybe been 10 or so hours shorter, especially in the final chapter, but this is a great example of a traditional JRPG. Would definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoyed Persona 4 and is looking for something similar.

Welp, I don't think I have a save before
the dance
in my first playthrough, guess I can't plat this. Whatever, I'm a winner in my heart! :( Plus...I'll probably miss some treasure chest somewhere even with detection.
And no way am I going through the final dungeon twice in the same playthrough...

You have to play the game twice to plat even if you did everything perfectly.

I'm getting into this right after I'm done with Stella Glow (amazing game btw) and just wanted to check something first; is the casual outfit and accessories DLC obtainable in-game? Does it carry over with Cold Steel 2?

I'm getting into this right after I'm done with Stella Glow (amazing game btw) and just wanted to check something first; is the casual outfit and accessories DLC obtainable in-game? Does it carry over with Cold Steel 2?
I believe the dlc casual outfits are not obtainable in game. No idea if they carry over. But I want to believe it's also no.

So I finished this on Sunday night very late and took some time to marinate on it. Overall, I thought the game was very good. I still have somewhat mixed feelings about the changes to the orbment system from FC/SC. I liked the improvements to the battle system, but I wonder if it will make it harder to go back to the older games. I loved the pawn shop addition. Being able to buy the 2 books I missed was amazing.

Endgame Spoilers and minor CSII conjecture ahead -

I got spoiled on the Chancellor getting shot, but I stopped reading so it didn't spoil that it was Crow. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until shortly before everyone else did. I was expecting more explanation from Emma and Celine about stuff and was surprised they didn't. I pegged Misty/Vita pretty early, so I wasn't surprised by that. The 2 guys from Zephyr surprised me a little bit, and I am really curious to see how the Sharon, Ouroboros thing will play out. I had seen something about the mechs when Sen came out in Japan, but I had forgotten, so I was a little surprised by that. The mech battles were pretty interesting. And of course the ending. I knew from what everyone had said that it was a cliffhanger, but it definitely turned out differently than I expected.

I need some more trails in my veins, and if what some people have said about CS being their least favorite of the series thus far, I look forward to the other entries.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Got through the Prologue yesterday. The beginning was making me want to throw the controller at the wall due to how slow it was, but it fortunately picked up pace at the end and now I'm looking forward to the rest.

Good times.

max_505

So, I was backreading when I came across this...

Poor principal Vandyck ....

Writing those notices ....

And wondering if people even read them...

I've read them .. all of them !! no need for a joke !

What notices? I didn't "notice" those. Where can I find it?

CrazyDude

Indeed. I consider it a perfect RPG and would put it on a pedestal alongside the likes of Chrono Trigger.

Ironically, The 3rd's my third favourite, followed by SC and Zero.

I remember you say third was number 1 for you, I guess I was mistaken.

omgfloofy

Banned
3rd absolutely is my favorite because I love the game system and it's a challenging game. (especially on nightmare. lolz)

(And I'm a sucker for the kind of story told in it.)

I liked Cold Steel a bit more than most folks but it's definitely not in my top 3 Trails titles. CSII is quite possibly tops, second only to Ao no Kiseki, with 3rd at number 3.

CSII is real good.

I just finished it and I think I may actually prefer Cold Steel to FC and SC, but I'm a wierdo who enjoyed FC more than SC.

If this game wasn't so stupidly long I would consider going for the plat on a nightmare run. Though with how easy it is to break the combat in this game I'm skeptical that nightmare on a NG+ would be all that difficult anyway.

I still need to finish up the final chapter, but my current gut feeling is that I'd probably rank it below SC, but above FC. But part of that might just be that it's been over 4 years since I played FC, while Cold Steel is very fresh for me right now. As well as the game being able to build on what the previous games already laid out, so certain cameos have more impact.

Thanks. I think I want to play at least the beginning of this to see how different it is compared to the other two. Hopefully not that much is given away in the beginning.

Don't read all of the books on the 2nd floor of the library, one of them does have SC spoilers but it's easy to avoid. I don't think there is anything else early game that spoils FC/SC,

bomblord1

Banned
After finishing this game I might be going through minor withdrawals. Not to mention that ending yes I know I've already given my thoughts on it but it's still with me
blowing absolutely everything I thought about the game out of the water and leaving me desperate to play more and find out what happens next I want to see more of valimar the ashen knight I want to fight more freaking giant robot battles! I've also read the sequel has considerably better animation and the story I'm expecting is just hype..... DEEP BREATH
anyway anyone got any suggestions for me to get my fix? I'm not really interested in backtracking in the trails series and superficially "similar" games like Persona 3 and 4 I've already finished.

If it helps I own all 3 current gen consoles a PSTV, a PC, and a 3DS.

If I fuck up one choice and get one less AP for a sidequest and do the rest of the game perfectly, can I still get the top score?

You can be about 10 points off in the end and still get max rank. You can mess up a few choices throughout the game and still be fine, just when you start missing sidequests it's most likely over.

Top Bottom