• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Abdiel

Also, anyone needing a few levels, there's a dlc for 3 shining pom bait you can use for each playthrough that is free.

I paired that with the megalith quartz on Rean as part of my level grinding and got him to 78 before the final battles

epmode

Well SC had more NPCs I think and also no voice acting so you could just go through lines faster. Then there are longer loading times in CS.

The load times don't feel all that massive. I could see them tacking on an hour in a full playthrough.

Voice acting is a better point. I wonder how much dialogue was recorded. I'd guess 2 hours but I could be way off.

SC gives you the most party freedom which leads to the most dialogue since Falcom wants almost any combination of characters to feel canon every scene.

epmode

SC gives you the most party freedom which leads to the most dialogue since Falcom wants almost any combination of characters to feel canon every scene.

I'm thinking this is it. Playing through SC, I was amazed by the detailed conversations. Characters often play off each other's dialogue, even when they weren't forced to be in my party.

Gu4n

I don't know about the scripts -- both Tom from XSEED and Andrew from Carpe Fulgur understandably stick to Falcom's word count, which states SC is 3+ million. I myself haven't been able to find more than 1.4m in SC's script and have yet to find something I'm unable to trace back in the files.

My estimates for Cold Steel and Cold Steel II on the other hand were spot on -- from the top of my head 1.5m and 1.4m, respectively -- but with SC I was said to be 1.5-2m off.

So I don't know.

I don't know about the scripts -- both Tom from XSEED and Andrew from Carpe Fulgur understandably stick to Falcom's word count, which states SC is 3+ million. I myself haven't been able to find more than 1.4m in SC's script and have yet to find something I'm unable to trace back in the files.

My estimates for Cold Steel and Cold Steel II on the other hand were spot on -- from the top of my head 1.5m and 1.4m, respectively -- but with SC I was said to be 1.5-2m off.

So I don't know.

Well considering things like every chest in FC had a unique text box for some reason that probably leads to an inflated script/word count for those earlier games.

Corpekata

Banned
Got a question about Crafts. They'll say like Class C, Class A+, etc. Are those meant to be the ratings for if they will unbalance an enemy when used?

Gu4n

Got a question about Crafts. They'll say like Class C, Class A+, etc. Are those meant to be the ratings for if they will unbalance an enemy when used?
The classes represent the raw power of the Craft; the stars in the window with the enemies' name represent what kind of attack will unbalance them, which you can match with the attacks and their grades of the characters.

Asd202

Holy shit at Sara dialouge in final chapter
"I always knew one day you'd recognize me for the paragon of womanhood I am"
/dead

I just remembered there was a bit of political context about Crossbell I didn't understand (halfway through the final chapter), maybe someone can help me figure it out:
That Declaration of Independence announced as breaking news is apparently supposed to be a huge deal. Except I thought Crossbell was already an autonomous state anyway?
Later on, they also mention the ICB freezing foreign assets, which seems huge, but I don't get the Independance part?

bomblord1

Banned
I just remembered there was a bit of political context about Crossbell I didn't understand (halfway through the final chapter), maybe someone can help me figure it out:
That Declaration of Independence announced as breaking news is apparently supposed to be a huge deal. Except I thought Crossbell was already an autonomous state anyway?
Later on, they also mention the ICB freezing foreign assets, which seems huge, but I don't get the Independance part?
Erobonia collects tax revenue from Crossbell and it functions as a member of both Erebonia and the other State

As a whole I feel there's a lot that's been left vague about the whole situation some of which I'm assuming they're saving for CSII and some I feel must be a part of Zero/Ao

bomblord1

Banned
Seriously that end though....
I HAVE TO PLAY COLD STEEL 2 NOW

At least it's apparently close to being ported at this point. What was that like 95% translated a few weeks ago?

Erobonia collects tax revenue from Crossbell and it functions as a member of both Erebonia and the other State
Okay, that makes sense and explains
the difference between autonomous and independent.
Thanks for the explanation.

As a whole I feel there's a lot that's been left vague about the whole situation some of which I'm assuming they're saving for CSII and some I feel must be a part of Zero/Ao
That was unavoidable and isn't too bad, but yeah, there's a whole context I feel I would understand better having played Zero/Ao. I can see how someone who hasn't played TitS would find all the Liberl references vague as well.

omgfloofy

Banned

A little bit more, but I'll be using information from Zero/Ao (though mostly Zero) on this, too... (Disclaimer, I'm going by memory, so I might need another person to help correct or add to this.)

Crossbell is disputed territory between Erebonia and Calvard. As a result, Crossbell's inner government is basically made up of a mayor, and a board with individuals from all three nations represented on it. This has been part of the 'Crossbell situation' as was brought up in SC.

As a result- Crossbell is a self-operated state, but they're not 100% independent, as many of their decisions are based on whether Erebonia and/or Calvard allow the decisions to be made in the first place. This basically ends up to Crossbell earning its independence is a big deal to be able to do its own thing without the meddling of two giant nations.

Also, to add on the IBC thing- the International Bank of Crossbell is the largest bank in Zemuria, IIRC. They have a lot of foreign assets coming and going into their systems- and freezing them is basically crippling a LOT of places- but more importantly Erebonia and Calvard. It's basically 'fighting words' to the other two nations.

Eusis

Definitely getting a Persona vibe from the early part of Chapter 1, but I half expect that to fade once the game's true structure becomes more apparent.

Just beat what I assume was one of the last bosses in the game, and I'm going to call it a day.
(Late game and SC spoilers)
A freaking mech was under the school ??? Is this turning into a mech RPG? Whoa.

I liked how I emerged on the other side of the abyss on floor VII. I assume this was similar to what we experienced in Sky SC with the towers. IIRC, Kevin implied these were the "true" towers. I don't know where this dimensional stuff is going or when it will be developed further, but it seems pretty important. I'm very curious about this underside, and I'll probably take my questions to the community thread once I'm done with the game, tomorrow or the next day.

One thing about the voice acting (which I've found pretty solid overall)
Rean's voice actor botched the motivational bits before that last Schoolhouse session. The font says he's supposed to be yelling and rallying everyone, but Rean's voice is as calm and collected as usual. I expected some hot blood stuff that never came.

bomblord1

Banned
Just beat what I assume was one of the last bosses in the game, and I'm going to call it a day.
(Late game and SC spoilers)
A freaking mech was under the school ??? Is this turning into a mech RPG? Whoa.

I liked how I emerged on the other side of the abyss on floor VII. I assume this was similar to what we experienced in Sky SC with the towers. IIRC, Kevin implied these were the "true" towers. I don't know where this dimensional stuff is going or when it will be developed further, but it seems pretty important. I'm very curious about this underside, and I'll probably take my questions to the community thread once I'm done with the game, tomorrow or the next day.

One thing about the voice acting (which I've found pretty solid overall)
Rean's voice actor botched the motivational bits before that last Schoolhouse session. The font says he's supposed to be yelling and rallying everyone, but Rean's voice is as calm and collected as usual. I expected some hot blood stuff that never came.

Not really a spoiler but you got a bit more to go and then the ending will probably make your jaw drop.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mine dropped all right.
This was my reaction

kevin-hart-gif.gif

H7bMTCA.gif

tumblr_ltty0dgISO1r1xvj2.gif

Credits

deep-stare.gif

tumblr_m8swwiZjRe1qml34n.gif

Also, don't read this until you beat it.

Rean's voice acting at the end absolutely floored me with how effective and well done it was

Asd202

This was my reaction

Also, don't read this until you beat it.

Rean's voice acting at the end absolutely floored me with how effective and well done it was

Haha that's pretty on point. Also I think
Crow's voice actor did a terrific job in that scene too.

bomblord1

Banned
Am I wrong in assuming that

Ending spoiler
Who you dance with at the festival is who gets the ending line pressed against the cockpit outside of the Mecha? Of is it just a coincidence that Fie got that line?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yep, who you
dance
with is who you get in the end.
Oh, shoot, really?
I got Emma and I just assumed that made sense because she was so important in the final gauntlet of events, not to mention that Celine is right there with you. She talks about hiding things from you and how she still wants to tell you everything. Seemed like such a natural segue to Cold Steel II.

Yep I just beat the game.
I WANT CS II RIGHT NOW.
Well I'll just go watch CS II opening...

Edit:
Now I want it more...

Yeah, that opening is hot. Seems like all the interesting stuff hinted at in CS1 is going to be delivered,
and in a much less constrained story. If we get to roll around the world with Rean on Olivier's airship picking up lost friends, I'll be very happy. Real FF VI WOR feel.

Enjoyed CS enough that I jumped right into TitS SC. Really liking it so far, even though certain elements of FC left me cold. Story is more enjoyable with more context on the broader world and overarching plot.

Nyoro SF

Just beat the game. This spoiler video sums up my feelings of the final chapter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xzhyp431c

One thing I recommend to people still playing through still; Don't rewatch the opening video! I did this and realized how much it exposed the game to those partway through.

My remaining thoughts:

Christ that was a crazy ride. Really awesome turn-based robot combat; clever with the idea of different weaknesses during stances. I activated my Counter stance during a huge string of Crow's moves and just fucked him up so bad dude couldn't see straight. Too bad I got owned at the end and had to abandon everyone. Speaking of which, that post-credits image, made me think that everyone had DIED... however, having seen the CS2 box art beforehand, and discussion in this thread, I know they're not dead. But then what was the point of that final scene? Just for flash?

So Sharon is a member of Ourobouros. However it looks like Alisa's mom may have done something to pull Sharon away from Ourobouros, as a full debt to the Reinford family I'd speculate. Misty appears also to be a member of Ourobouros, or at least a supporter. Is Ourobouros aligned with Crow's movement then? Guess that's a CS2 thing. To be blunt, even without rewatching the opening, it was just way too obvious that Misty was a villain. The opera singer is ALWAYS the villain. She scoped out the schoolhouse, reported back and put Crow into action. I doubt that Garrelia Fortress getting annihilated was part of their plan but it worked out just the same.

Seeing the teachers fight was just too awesome for words. Beatrix firing the sniper rifle cracked me up. Markov nonchalantly scanning enemies for weaknesses and the history teacher getting all hype over using orbal arts lol.

The Crossbell intrigue is really interesting and makes me want to play Zero/Ao even more. A declaration of independence is awesome. And the superweapon mystery will haunt me for years I think, especially one that can activate an impenetrable barrier. I wonder if it's the same kind of barrier that surrounded the old schoolhouse in the last chapter. That announcement about the fortress was the most shocking surprise the game threw at me yet.

Regarding the bonfire dance. Despite having a max link with Laura, the game did not give me a choice to dance with her. That is strange, so I decided to dance with Fie instead. Imagine my surprise when it made her be the one that was my last sendoff before a cat piloted my robot away from my classmates. I hope someone has made a video of all the big character specific events.

The differing political divides are tricky to keep track of. Nobles and the government are having a political battle. The provincial army serves the nobles, the RMP and basic military serves the government, the school is under the government as well. Crow shot the chancellor for revenge against what happened to his hometown (assuming) and as a deal with the nobles and his terrorist activity. The nobles attacked the school with Crow's lead to get to the armored unit first... do I have this all correct?

Rean's lines kept getting better and better as the game went on. Time for everyone to open accounts at the bank of Rean.

bomblord1

Banned
Just beat the game. This spoiler video sums up my feelings of the final chapter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xzhyp431c

One thing I recommend to people still playing through still; Don't rewatch the opening video! I did this and realized how much it exposed the game to those partway through.

My remaining thoughts:

Christ that was a crazy ride. Really awesome turn-based robot combat; clever with the idea of different weaknesses during stances. I activated my Counter stance during a huge string of Crow's moves and just fucked him up so bad dude couldn't see straight. Too bad I got owned at the end and had to abandon everyone. Speaking of which, that post-credits image, made me think that everyone had DIED... however, having seen the CS2 box art beforehand, and discussion in this thread, I know they're not dead. But then what was the point of that final scene? Just for flash?

So Sharon is a member of Ourobouros. However it looks like Alisa's mom may have done something to pull Sharon away from Ourobouros, as a full debt to the Reinford family I'd speculate. Misty appears also to be a member of Ourobouros, or at least a supporter. Is Ourobouros aligned with Crow's movement then? Guess that's a CS2 thing. To be blunt, even without rewatching the opening, it was just way too obvious that Misty was a villain. The opera singer is ALWAYS the villain. She scoped out the schoolhouse, reported back and put Crow into action. I doubt that Garrelia Fortress getting annihilated was part of their plan but it worked out just the same.

Seeing the teachers fight was just too awesome for words. Beatrix firing the sniper rifle cracked me up. Markov nonchalantly scanning enemies for weaknesses and the history teacher getting all hype over using orbal arts lol.

The Crossbell intrigue is really interesting and makes me want to play Zero/Ao even more. A declaration of independence is awesome. And the superweapon mystery will haunt me for years I think, especially one that can activate an impenetrable barrier. I wonder if it's the same kind of barrier that surrounded the old schoolhouse in the last chapter. That announcement about the fortress was the most shocking surprise the game threw at me yet.

Regarding the bonfire dance. Despite having a max link with Laura, the game did not give me a choice to dance with her. That is strange, so I decided to dance with Fie instead. Imagine my surprise when it made her be the one that was my last sendoff before a cat piloted my robot away from my classmates. I hope someone has made a video of all the big character specific events.

The differing political divides are tricky to keep track of. Nobles and the government are having a political battle. The provincial army serves the nobles, the RMP and basic military serves the government, the school is under the government as well. Crow shot the chancellor for revenge against what happened to his hometown (assuming) and as a deal with the nobles and his terrorist activity. The nobles attacked the school with Crow's lead to get to the armored unit first... do I have this all correct?

Rean's lines kept getting better and better as the game went on. Time for everyone to open accounts at the bank of Rean.
The teachers fighting stood out to me just because it was choreographed so much more elaborately than anything we've seen in the entire game. I mean literally outside of the battle system the only "fight" we've seen at this point was people moving a bit, swinging, their swords and cycling through Craft animations.

The Crossbell superweapon is downright scary. When the biggest weapon known to man was the railway guns and then something annihilates the biggest base in Erebonia in presumably one shot. Not to mention the repeated failure of attempted armored division invasion. Honestly it's a little stupid though because they set up such a realistic setting and then broke all of their rules with that.

That's weird I had a max link with all the main female characters and had the option to do any of them (but Towa :( or Sara). I don't believe there's anything additional you need. I have a save right before the bonfire dance so I can go back and swap em out at anytime.

Yea I've never seen a game handle a complex political situation so well they really perfectly walked the line between interesting and believable. I remember FFXII one of the big talking points was the story revolved around political intrigue but it just ended up being drole and boring in practice.

Also thanks for providing your detailed opinions throughout as you have, keeps things interesting

SolVanderlyn

I'm this close to spoiling myself on
what the Crossbell superweapon is. I bet it's a mech or somehow related to Ouroboros and their crazy technology.

Nyoro SF

The teachers fighting stood out to me just because it was choreographed so much more elaborately than anything we've seen in the entire game. I mean literally outside of the battle system the only "fight" we've seen at this point was people moving a bit, swinging, their swords and cycling through Craft animations.

The Crossbell superweapon is downright scary. When the biggest weapon known to man was the railway guns and then something annihilates the biggest base in Erebonia in presumably one shot. Not to mention the repeated failure of attempted armored division invasion. Honestly it's a little stupid though because they set up such a realistic setting and then broke all of their rules with that.

That's weird I had a max link with all the main female characters and had the option to do any of them (but Towa :( or Sara). I don't believe there's anything additional you need. I have a save right before the bonfire dance so I can go back and swap em out at anytime.

Yea I've never seen a game handle a complex political situation so well they really perfectly walked the line between interesting and believable. I remember FFXII one of the big talking points was the story revolved around political intrigue but it just ended up being drole and boring in practice.

Also thanks for providing your detailed opinions throughout as you have keeps things interesting

Not a problem.

Be a dear and record/upload everyone's character specific lines, dance lines and outro scenes as Rean departs.... please? :p

I'm sorry to say that all my supernatural speculation was all for naught. But, I still think Rean is a vampire. I think if he had activated his power in broad daylight at the end there he would've died straight up. That's just speculation of course.

bomblord1

Banned
Not a problem.

Be a dear and record/upload everyone's character specific lines, dance lines and outro scenes as Rean departs.... please? :p

I'm sorry to say that all my supernatural speculation was all for naught. But, I still think Rean is a vampire. I think if he had activated his power in broad daylight at the end there he would've died straight up. That's just speculation of course.

I got a PSTV give me the recording equipment and I'de be happy to :p

Nyoro SF

I got a PSTV give me the recording equipment and I'de be happy to :p

lol. I tried looking to see if anyone had any videos of the character specific stuff up already, but this game is probably a bit too niche to get such a privilege.

Hopefully CS2 makes it a bit easier to see these sorts of things in a non-obtuse way.

Busaiku

One thing I didn't like the epilogue's antics.
One thing I liked were that, with those souped up tanks in chapter 4 at least, it was good to see that military tech was superior to humans.
But then they went with those cliiches, and old ladies blew tanks apart and little kids took down superior mechs.

bomblord1

Banned
One thing I didn't like the epilogue's antics.
One thing I liked were that, with those souped up tanks in chapter 4 at least, it was good to see that military tech was superior to humans.
But then they went with those cliiches, and old ladies blew tanks apart and little kids took down superior mechs.

General spoilers different chapters

Well to be fair the "kids" are mostly 17 with a 15 year old and a 13 year old that has a giant mechanized... Lammy. It's also well established that certain humans are ridiculously powerful ex. Laura's father being well beyond that of a normal person not to mention the existence of orbments augmenting their abilities further.

SolVanderlyn

No one runs up to the cockpit or anything. Celine just activates the run away feature, Rean and Crow exchange some lines, and the mech flies off.
More reason not to do anything with Sara ever.

Abdiel

Not a problem.

For anyone who is looking for assistance/is curious on how the
dance
event works...

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...trails-cold-steel-trophy-guide-roadmap-3.html

Top of this section right here, the "Magic Moment" trophy guide.

There's a few specific factors for being able to have those scenes with any given character, that lays it out pretty clearly.

You need to have either spent a bonding point with them on the free day before the dance, gone on the motorcycle ride with them, or spend at least two tickets with them on the day of the festival. While meeting specific requirements for Bonding XP.

Also, since you specifically mentioned Laura, I was talking about her several pages back. I really liked her event there, and her event at the ending scene, so it's worth it to earn that ending if you liked her a lot as a character. There's a really good Platinum walkthrough here:

http://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-THE-LEGEND-OF-HEROES-TRAILS-OF-COLD-STEEL-Overall-Walkthrough

That I used for my last half of the first playthrough and entire second playthrough.

Top Bottom