• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Eusis

I can feel it would be that way if you can get unlimited BP for a replay. Plus there's more incentive this time if you have Vita/PS3 and want to try again on a different platform, though I kinda feel like VIta would be easier with a guide. Then again that didn't reallys top many of us in the 90s with consoles/computers, and it's doubly easier these days with smartphones and tablets as prevalent as they are.

I can feel it would be that way if you can get unlimited BP for a replay. Plus there's more incentive this time if you have Vita/PS3 and want to try again on a different platform, though I kinda feel like VIta would be easier with a guide. Then again that didn't reallys top many of us in the 90s with consoles/computers, and it's doubly easier these days with smartphones and tablets as prevalent as they are.

You can't get everything in this game in one playthrough anyway, so missing out on some stuff becomes less frustrating. The tangible rewards for getting all the AP/BP in any of the 3 Trails games I have played has never been very significant either. It's not really worth obsessing over getting everything in these games.

Nyoro SF

Thank god as I missed 1 AP in the last chapter and I still don't know where I went wrong.

Out of curiousity, was this Chapter 5?

I followed a guide and despite doing everything perfectly I still only got an A-Rank.
Chapter 5 Final Rankings:
http://i.imgur.com/Le5X4Be.png

I looked over the mission list and apparently I was supposed to get 5AP for completing the practical exam, but I only have four here. So either the guide is wrong or the game is bugged.

Eusis

You can't get everything in this game in one playthrough anyway, so missing out on some stuff becomes less frustrating. The tangible rewards for getting all the AP/BP in any of the 3 Trails games I have played has never been very significant either.
Well, Trails in the Sky's was a boon for early in SC and quests there, but this one's more lenient there. Plus there's more choices where it really doesn't matter it seems for the early game.

Out of curiousity, was this Chapter 5?

I followed a guide and despite doing everything perfectly I still only got an A-Rank.
Chapter 5 Final Rankings:
http://i.imgur.com/Le5X4Be.png

I looked over the mission list and apparently I was supposed to get 5AP for completing the practical exam, but I only have four here. So either the guide is wrong or the game is bugged.

Mine was much later in the game. You must have missed one of the bonus conditions in the practical exam. One of these:

2. First Battle:
Condition:
No one is knocked out during the battle (AP +1)
Evade and encounter an enemy attack (AP +1)

3. Second Battle:
Condition:
No one is knocked out during the battle (AP +1)
Cancel an enemy art ( tend to use Arts) (AP +1)

4. After you win these battles (AP +1) (5 AP in total at confirmation screen)
One AP won't matter for anything so don't worry about it.

Thoraxes

Binge played to the end for 10 hours. Got only 2 hours of sleep before work.

My all-time favorite thing got represented in the ending. I totally was continuously flipping my shit at how awesome everything was that whole last chapter. I can definitely say I treasured every moment of my time with Cold Steel <3

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit.

Now I can't stop thinking about how much I love this game pretty much every waking minute.

I think I'm going to Platinum this too. I can easily see myself replaying this game quite a few times.

BRING ON CS2 HOLY SHIT GIMME IT NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Nyoro SF

Mine was much later in the game. You must have missed one of the bonus conditions in the practical exam.

I do not think so, I was very careful regarding that exam.
I stacked Fie with multiple evasion items and met the condition there.
The second one was funny because Emma and Alisa refused to cast anything other than fast healing arts, so it took a bit before I could interrupt one, but I pulled it off and met that condition also.

And of course no one died.

But when the awarding came around, it only gave me 4 AP. I definitely think it was a bug of some sort. :(
Oh and I already beat the game, but I was miffed when I followed a guide and still didn't get the AP that's all. Nothing serious.

hotsoup

I do not think so, I was very careful regarding that exam.
I stacked Fie with multiple evasion items and met the condition there.
The second one was funny because Emma and Alisa refused to cast anything other than fast healing arts, so it took a bit before I could interrupt one, but I pulled it off and met that condition also.

And of course no one died.

But when the awarding came around, it only gave me 4 AP. I definitely think it was a bug of some sort. :(
Oh and I already beat the game, but I was miffed when I followed a guide and still didn't get the AP that's all. Nothing serious.

You cannot use Fie in that battle. IIRC you can only use Rean and the 2 new classmates.
Did you counter? Just evading is not enough.

Rhapsody

Banned
Got my Vita copy finally so I can play in bed. Just like my PS3 copy, it's also an LE. Best Buy had the regular Vita version out of stock at the time and thought why not. Figured it's not that much more and I like the series anyways. Kinda sucks that my artbook for the Vita version is a little messed up. It's like the top part was scraped/has scratch marks on it? I haven't checked this thread to see if anyone else had that issues, maybe I got unlucky with this batch :(

A bit disappointing, but I guess my artbook in the PS3 LE is ok.

Anyways, just started Chapter 3. Battles are obviously a lot more fun, but the start of this game is rather slow.
Not as big of a hook for Chapter enders like FC and SC were for its beginning.

Nyoro SF

You cannot use Fie in that battle. IIRC you can only use Rean and the 2 new classmates.
Did you counter? Just evading is not enough.

My mistake; I stacked Rean. And yes, he countered; I made sure to run right up next to the attacker and he automatically performed the counterattack. I was very deliberate about it.

I'm a pretty careful guy when it comes to following a guide for an RPG, multiple saves and the works, so I'll go back and see if I have a close save nearby this event and reload it and see if I can reproduce the bug.

bon

I'm in the middle of chapter 2. This is my first 'Trails' game, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I was iffy on the setting before I started, but it's actually pretty fun to hang around the school and talk to NPCs. I like how even unimportant characters seem to have their own schedules and stuff going on, it makes the world feel alive.

I can see some Persona influence, but it doesn't have the things that I dislike about Persona. The dungeons aren't annoyingly long or boring (so far), and the pacing seems okay.

Instructor Sara is the best.

Eusis

Oh, yeah, ended up spoiling myself on Alisa's last name. But
that was painfully predictable with the conversation where she introduces herself as Alisa R. And Elliot or whoever was going "WOW ISN'T THAT THE LATEST WEAPON FROM REINFORD!?", and if that wasn't enough there was Rean reading off the first three letters later when handing out the student notebooks.

Gu4n

I find the one in Tokyo Xanadu much better. The mini-game is essentially the name they just renamed it to Gate of Avalon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8CdqdAA8NA
As a small detour, there's also the Brandish one. Yes, even Ares loves himself some Blade.

osCORAl.png

Xenoflare

Oh, yeah, ended up spoiling myself on Alisa's last name. But
that was painfully predictable with the conversation where she introduces herself as Alisa R. And Elliot or whoever was going "WOW ISN'T THAT THE LATEST WEAPON FROM REINFORD!?", and if that wasn't enough there was Rean reading off the first three letters later when handing out the student notebooks.

Trails game is not trying to cover up someone's identity lately. In the earlier games it's well hidden but in this game is more like

LOOK HERE, THERE IS A CHARACTER WITH A BACKGROUND OF A (INSERT AFFILIATION HERE) LOOK LOOK LOOK.

Yes game I know that every character in this game is connected to something bigger.

Even Patrick

Gu4n

Trails game is not trying to cover up someone's identity lately. In the earlier games it's well hidden but in this game is more like

LOOK HERE, THERE IS A CHARACTER WITH A BACKGROUND OF A (INSERT AFFILIATION HERE) LOOK LOOK LOOK.

Yes game I know that every character in this game is connected to something bigger.
And because it's so obvious, I immediately start wondering why this character would go out of his or her way to introduce themselves as such.

Xenoflare

And because it's so obvious, I immediately start wondering why this character would go out of his or her way to introduce themselves as such.

Yeah, the fact that almost every single character in the cast in connected to something bigger it just makes the "normal" people look suspicious.

Ahem
Emma
Ahem

Eusis

Yeah, the fact that almost every single character in the cast in connected to something bigger it just makes the "normal" people look suspicious.

Ahem
Emma
Ahem
Wonder if that might be the intent. Make some things so painfully predictable that we either overlook the more subtly handled, or straight becoming more questioning and uncertain of them because we don't know if it's a double bluff or those obvious twists were red herrings or what.

And man, I did appreciate in the Sky series how (this may be "what the hell may as well read it" territory for Cold Steel but nevertheless)
even though I was spoiled on Olivier being a prince I didn't know his exact relation or standing in the Empire, and with how people were acting in the game perhaps if he even was a known one at all.

Xenoflare

It's pretty understated though.
His dad is like quickly overshadowed by Laura's dad, and guys like Sara and stuff.

Yes, but
he's still better off than what he plays off as, he's a "normal person" born into a not so "normal" family

Gaius has the foreigner's pass.

Gu4n

Yes, but
he's still better off than what he plays off as, he's a "normal person" born into a not so "normal" family

Gaius has the foreigner's pass.
Emma came with a Thors scholarship from an unnamed remote region.

All in all, as Sara points out early in the game, I think that amidst the rest of the class Rean is the most unique one of the bunch because he doesn't stand out.

Xenoflare

Wonder if that might be the intent. Make some things so painfully predictable that we either overlook the more subtly handled, or straight becoming more questioning and uncertain of them because we don't know if it's a double bluff or those obvious twists were red herrings or what.

And man, I did appreciate in the Sky series how (this may be "what the hell may as well read it" territory for Cold Steel but nevertheless)
even though I was spoiled on Olivier being a prince I didn't know his exact relation or standing in the Empire, and with how people were acting in the game perhaps if he even was a known one at all.

Oh nice user name

Yes, in the Sky games it's much better because it rarely drops hints

The fact that it presented
Olivier as a intelligent officer instead of a prince right off the bat is pretty good

Although it also has to do with the fact that in the early days the scope of the series isn't as grand as we see here right now, I hope the story gets resolved soon.

Emma came with a Thors scholarship from an unnamed remote region.

All in all, as Sara points out early in the game, I think that amidst the rest of the class Rean is the most unique one of the bunch because he doesn't stand out.

Rean stands out just as much as everyone else if not more. Laura even calls him out on it in the first chapter. His weird ass backstory is unveiled earlier than most of the other characters too.

In the prerelease trailers of Cold Steel in Japan, they literally had a line in the trailer where Alisa says her family name.

Falcom wasn't even trying to make it remotely a secret before the game is out.

In the prerelease trailers of Cold Steel in Japan, they literally had a line in the trailer where Alisa says her family name.

Falcom wasn't even trying to make it remotely a secret before the game is out.

With Alisa and Emma it felt like they were going for dramatic irony where their identities are made exceedingly obvious to the player but Rean is kept in the dark.

Nyoro SF

So in regards to Class VII family situation (full game spoilers).

Rean -
Everyone alive
Laura -
Mother dead
Alisa -
Father dead
Emma -
lol I dunno
Elliot -
Mother dead
Machias -
Mother dead
Jusis -
Mother dead
Gaius -
Everyone alive
Fie -
Mother and Dad dead (assumed)

So, uh... is that a coincidence or is Falcom just kind of fucking with everyone using the ancient RPG trope of
my parent's death caused this major plot shift etc.

Busaiku

Rean -
Mother dead
Laura -
Mother dead
Alisa -
Father dead
Emma -
lol I dunno
Elliot -
Mother dead
Machias -
Mother dead
Jusis -
Mother dead
Gaius -
Everyone alive
Fie -

So, uh... is that a coincidence or is Falcom just kind of fucking with everyone using the ancient RPG trope of
No real plot significance in this game though.

Rean -
Mother dead
Laura -
Mother dead
Alisa -
Father dead
Emma -
lol I dunno
Elliot -
Mother dead
Machias -
Mother dead
Jusis -
Mother dead
Gaius -
Everyone alive
Fie -

What is this about Rean's mother? His foster parents are alive (and have speaking roles in the chapter 6.5 drama CD) and I don't recall them ever telling us anything about his birth parents. Was the fate of Laura's mother ever spelled out?

Gu4n

Rean -
Mother dead
Laura -
Mother dead
Alisa -
Father dead
Emma -
lol I dunno
Elliot -
Mother dead
Machias -
Mother dead
Jusis -
Mother dead
Gaius -
Everyone alive
Fie -

About Rean.
His mother is still alive (and stunning).

What is this about Rean's mother? His foster parents are alive (and have speaking roles in the chapter 6.5 drama CD) and I don't recall them ever telling us anything about his birth parents. Was the fate of Laura's mother ever spelled out?
No. Which is one of the reasons I think she'll be protagonist for Sen III -- and for the same reason, I also think Gaius might become protagonist.

Eusis

Oh nice user name
Haha. I admittedly had the handle for far longer and had taken it from Phantasy Star II actually, but seeing it pop up again and in a series I was now a fan of... And the relevant entries coming out in English, yeah, kind of seemed appropriate (especially since the pronunciation is the same rather than what the spelling made me think it could have been.)

But, yeah, it was becoming obvious that
Olivier was someone of significant standing in the Empire, but as WHAT was nicely hidden.

Rean's mother doesn't appear in-game until CS2, indeed. But if Elise writes her parents are doing well, you can assume she hasn't kicked the bucket yet.

I know that part, I posted about it minutes ago. I was wondering when we'd see her appearance.

No. Which is one of the reasons I think she'll be protagonist for Sen III -- and for the same reason, I also think Gaius might become protagonist.
Laura's mom?

Famassu

Well, the past of Zemuria is filled with war & all kinds of strife between different kinds of factions (i.e. nobles vs. commoners in Erebonia, or Erebonia vs. pretty much every neighbouring country) that has caused death on all fronts and even though the Orbment stuff has brought the society forward a lot, the world still seems to have struggled (maybe still does) with some deadly diseases, since the "dark ages" are still a relatively recent thing for the game's world. It's not all that surprising that there would be a lot of orphans & single/widowed mothers/fathers in a world like this.

As to keeping family names secret, I don't think it's as much to hide their identity completely from the gamers as if they were supposed to be a huge secret for the players as well or their reveals meant to be huge twists that change the game altogether or anything. Seems more like the characters just want to keep their identities a secret from their classmates for a multitude of reasons and they are using that as a kind of way to develop character relationships. As the Class VII students don't initially know each other, they don't want to reveal too much of their identities to total strangers because of different reasons, but as their relationships develop, they are more open about themselves to each other. So once they do reveal their family names, the significance is more on the fact that they are opening up about themselves and a bit less on the SHOCKING TWIST of who they really are or if the reveal isn't done completely willingly/is blabbed by someone accidentally it's just more about showing how the other classmates react to that and how that develops their relationships further.

Final Chapter

I was expecting things to get nuts, but I was NOT EXPECTING FUCKING MECHS

The wait for CS2 might actually kill me ;_;

Binge played to the end for 10 hours. Got only 2 hours of sleep before work.

My all-time favorite thing got represented in the ending. I totally was continuously flipping my shit at how awesome everything was that whole last chapter. I can definitely say I treasured every moment of my time with Cold Steel <3

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit.

Now I can't stop thinking about how much I love this game pretty much every waking minute.

I think I'm going to Platinum this too. I can easily see myself replaying this game quite a few times.

BRING ON CS2 HOLY SHIT GIMME IT NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Think we literally had the same reaction. If I had the time I'd go for a replay for the Plat, but school wants to kill all my Vita time.

I'm confused by all the final chapters spoilers
oh my god mechs
comments, did none of you watch the opening movie? What else did you think would happen when you saw
mechs falling into a city while highlighting the villains and other probably evil things?

Top Bottom