• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Thoraxes

What's the OP spell? Just for scientific research...

Final game encounter spoiler: Probably talking about the
dodge/guard/counter move you use craft points for because it builds up BP.
That's how you're supposed to do that fight really, or at least it's the by far the easiest. It expedites the normal fight parts by a lot.
People that played through on normal-

Did you find that the difficulty ramps up in the later chapters, or is it a cakewalk all they way through like it is in the first few?

I only had trouble with one boss towards the second half of the game, but it's the one boss I think everyone else has trouble with.

It was literally the only time the whole playthrough I died.

Droplet

I don't think dialogue is particularly noteworthy in these games, anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely solid for the most part and it has some pretty high highs, but it has its fair share of awkward, clumsy and unnatural feeling moments, lines and conversations too.

character (probably Rean): moving(?) speech

other character: [character name]...

(chapter 6)
I laughed SO hard at V giving his life story and the main cast just going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, after a week straight of playing the fuck out of this game I finally beat it. I enjoyed it overall but man,
to be over 80 hours long, and end on a fucking cliffhanger like that? WTF.
Xseed needs to get that sequal over here, stat.

character (probably Rean): moving(?) speech

other character: [character name]...

(chapter 6)
I laughed SO hard at V giving his life story and the main cast just going ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I loved the times when Rean said some awkward line and other characters called him out on it. Especially (final chapter)
Crow at the dance

If everyone was that awkward I'd have a problem with it, but you have characters like Fie who balances it out with her complete lack of seriousness, or Jusis who just outright tells you how dumb it is. Elliot gonna Elliot and Rean gonna Rean, but the cast works well together.

Gu4n

I loved the times when Rean said some awkward line and other characters called him out on it. Especially (final chapter)
Crow at the dance

If everyone was that awkward I'd have a problem with it, but you have characters like Fie who balances it out with her complete lack of seriousness, or Jusis who just outright tells you how dumb it is. Elliot gonna Elliot and Rean gonna Rean, but the cast works well together.
Exactly, a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. What I really liked is (Chapter 4 spoiler)
how Fie reacted to Laura's reaction to Fie's reveal that she used to be a mercenary
. All conversations that followed were terribly awkward, but so natural in how two classmates would bicker. I also loved Gaius' objective/outsider view of matters or (Chapter 5 spoiler)
Millium's
to-the-point remarks whenever the rest was mincing matters. Oh yes, I love Class VII to bits.

aravuus

Crow at the dance

Yeah, these moments have been great so far. The intentionally awkward lines are great.

Alisa dialog with rean in the middle of the chapter was really good.

Yeah, it was good, I was exaggerating a bit

Hell NAW

Everything about this chapter has been boring as heck
Alisa dialog with rean in the middle of the chapter was really good.

finished the game. it was alright-good. gameplay is faster and more fun compared to fc/sc. better, faster battle system with link attacks, nice spell effects, good looking supers. dungeon length was fairly well done. they're not overly lenghtly for no reason anymore.

the school setting was boring. this is like valkyria chronicles 2 reloaded. felt like i was controlling a bunch of students that played war and adventure in their free time, only worse. i can't believe they managed to fill their mega script with pointless school yard chatter. this is a main entry, not some side chapter at jenis academy. i would trash this game endlessly if they didn't tune the gameplay like they did. there is so much dialogue in these games. i didn't know buying a train ticket could be such a tedious experience. that's not how you fill your quota, better try to keep things interesting.

OST is good falcom quality. i don't have favorite yet. maybe i'll know when the next game turns up. there is no fairy track here!

crow is best bro and patrick is the secret main character.

before i forget
this game should have been about rean, crow, george and angelica. they know how to have fun.

I really disagree with the bolded. the only common ground between the 2 are because they are set in a military academy.
That's it
In term of pacing delivery and characters , there is no contest cold steel does everything better and more precise. There is actually a plot , a vilain , events happens. How could you compare the 2 games ? Am i missing something because "military students getting involved into a potential war" is not that common of a plot
Also the pointless chatter actually led to more entertaining world to explore ... IMo that's definitely a plus

What's the OP spell? Just for scientific research...

I forget the name but its an aoe spell that gives you physical immunity for 1 attack. Combo that with keeping your speed buffed and using ep restore items liberally and you basically become invincible to all non crafts (and you can impede crafts so its nbd)

Famassu

Gah, chapter 6 bosses on Nightmare, here we go! For me this was the only thing that caused some issues (especially the latter part). Though this time I'm equipped with faint-protection, so that makes the second part a bit easier. Here's hoping a certain someone's super attack doesn't kill all of my characters with a single strike. It already killed two on Normal, Nightmare should be even worse. -_-;

Edit: Lulz, this CANNOT be happening. -_-; The last boss of Chapter 6 went down simultaneously with my team. It did its super move as it got low on health that killed all of my team, but he also had burn status and died right after, but of course this is counted as a loss. ;____; I'm not really even sure how I'm supposed to evade that. I put Defense quartz to my characters and had defense buffs and healt was full on all but one character. I might have to lure the boss to one end of the map and then have one character go to the opposite end of the battlefield.

If you hate lots of dialogue being spent on downtime talk and always want things to be more "interesting", this franchise might not be for you.

do you mean cold steel or which franchise? because the previous games handled this better. they didn't pester you with their dull school life every minute. i don't know why people shrug it off like that. it's just bad.

I really disagree with the bolded. the only common ground between the 2 are because they are set in a military academy.
That's it
In term of pacing delivery and characters , there is no contest cold steel does everything better and more precise. There is actually a plot , a vilain , events happens. How could you compare the 2 games ? Am i missing something because "military students getting involved into a potential war" is not that common of a plot
Also the pointless chatter actually led to more entertaining world to explore ... IMo that's definitely a plus

yes, it's a similar tone. happy-go-lucky war games riding the persona wave. the plot doesn't get going until the very end. i'm not criticising world building and lore, it's good when they give us more information. it's class VII and their dull life that dragged the game down. some of the side characters were more interesting.

do you mean cold steel or which franchise? because the previous games handled this better. they didn't pester you with their dull school life every minute. i don't know why people shrug it off like that. it's just bad.

People don't shrug it off, some actually like it. Opinions, how do they work

It was clear from the start that the "school" setting was a major part of the game. Why would you expect anything else?

aravuus

Lmao I don't shrug it off cause I actually like the school stuff quite a lot

People don't shrug it off, some actually like it. Opinions, how do they work

It was clear from the start that the "school" setting was a major part of the game. Why would you expect anything else?

i expected quality, it's not there (story, class VII). persona is the only game that handled school settings well. this one feels so tacked on, with lots of useless padding.

i expected quality, it's not there (story, class VII). persona is the only game that handled school settings well. this one feels so tacked on, with lots of useless padding.

I guess we all enjoy shitty story and useless padding then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The school setting is anything but "tacked on". How can you even come to that conclusion. The entire game is based around the military academy. It's not like the school plays a major part in the story of Persona 4 either, and it has just as much "useless padding". (i.e. conversations that aren't related to the main plot) It's a place for character interactions and character development. It serves as a contrast to the more action and story oriented field trips / TV investigations.

I guess we all enjoy shitty story and useless padding then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The school setting is anything but "tacked on". How can you even come to that conclusion. The entire game is based around the military academy. It's not like the school plays a major part in the story of Persona 4 either, and it has just as much "useless padding".

somehow i doubt everyone will enjoy this story. i get the impression they forced it in just to be like persona, but didn't know how to forge a huge script around it. there is so much filler in there.

somehow i doubt everyone will enjoy this story. i get the impression they forced it in just to be like persona, but didn't know how to forge a huge script around it. there is so much filler in there.

Obviously not everyone will. Tons of people also didn't like Trails in the Sky. That doesn't make the game or its story bad.

The game has almost exactly the same setup as Trails in the Sky. The first part serves as a lengthy introduction to the characters and political situation, with the bigger mysteries happening in the background. Exactly the same happened in FC, with SC switching gears and telling a bigger story. I assume the same will happen with CSII. People called out FC for its "bad pacing" and "padding" as well.

Everything in every game ever is filler.

Pretty much. "filler" and "padding" are some of the most overused words for content that people don't like. Just because some things aren't bombastic, fast-paced, action packed or revealing some major secrets doesn't make them "filler".

Famassu

Eh, even the filleriest filler in this game serves some purpose most of the time, even if it is sometimes to give some more personality to the other students attending the academy, making the school feel more real and not just have faceless NPCs. To just dismiss all of it as just some pointless drivel does it disservice. Not all of it is super integral to the larger storyline, but they do give glimpses on how the Erebonian society works first hand and how young people are shaped by it (or fight against it). The bonding events are also often a bit lighter and don't necessarily deal with some heavier issues, but they give better looks at what these Class VII people are like when they aren't in some high stress situations or solving problems or even just how they are when you take them out of a group & more official situations and just spend some one-on-one time with them. Laura, for example, would be a far more one-sided character if all we had was how we see her act in group situations. Fie's bonding events were also really good (though Fie is pretty awesome even outside of those).

The game does have a bit of a problem with long-winded conversations that could be cut shorter, but to not have many of those conversations at all would be worse, in most cases..

Obviously not everyone will. Tons of people also didn't like Trails in the Sky. That doesn't make the game or its story bad.

The game has almost exactly the same setup as Trails in the Sky. The first part serves as a lengthy introduction to the characters and political situation, with the bigger mysteries happening in the background. Exactly the same happened in FC, with SC switching gears and telling a bigger story. I assume the same will happen with CSII. People called out FC for its "bad pacing" and "padding" as well.

Pretty much. "filler" and "padding" are some of the most overused words for content that people don't like. Just because some things aren't bombastic, fast-paced, action packed or revealing some major secrets doesn't make them "filler".

FC was definitely more like an adventure. you were embarking on a journey, exploring a new world pretty much seamlessly, solving mysteries, meeting new people etc. stuff like that. you can write a big script for that and keep things interesting. that doesn't work as well in CS, where buying a train ticket is apparently seen as the biggest event in history.

i like slower storytelling, but this is just mundane.

yes, it's a similar tone. happy-go-lucky war games riding the persona wave. the plot doesn't get going until the very end. i'm not criticising world building and lore, it's good when they give us more information. it's class VII and their dull life that dragged the game down. some of the side characters were more interesting.

The focus of the dialog was focused on how class 7 was reacting to the events unfolding
Why was class 7 formed ? for what purpose ?
Similar in tone the whole noble and commonners narrative is explored both inside the class and outside the class ( be it in field studies than within the school itself via quests or simple Npc ( regular npc dialogue you can miss )

The "dull life" is exactly why it's intresting because the whole place is changing across the game timeline and a big part of the fun is them reacting to those events.
Now it's clear you didn't like it but it's obvious that cold steel actually tried to integrate that aspect into the plot and into the gameplay. Something totally missing from valkyria 2
------------------------------

"the plot doesn't get going until the very end."
You're talking about the very end
where war almost broke out
in chapter 3 ?
the very end
where the princess was kidnapped
in chapter 4 ?
or the very end
when a army base was nearly hijacked and a city was nearly wiped from the map ?
in chapter 5

Are those events not counting as plot , now ? because the "doesn't get going" argument , here , make little sense to me

Here are some actual problems I saw with the game's writing and pacing:

In situations where some major even happens, every single class member needs to give their cliched one-line opinion / reaction

*things happen*

Elliot: Oh no! *scared*
Fie: Looks like this is bad.. or something *no emotion*
Jusis: This is a farce! It can not be accepted! *noble*
Gaius: The winds feel strange *disappears for the rest of the chapter*
Machias: I bet the nobles are behind this! *commoner*
Laura: We have to be calm and plan our next course of action *calm*
Rean: We can do this! *power of friendship*

That got old quick, since it happened every time, and didn't add anything to the characters.

As for the pacing, my only problem was with the ends of the chapters, as things stopped too quickly and were usually resolved without any further explanation, with only some Rean monologue explaining what happened afterwards. This could have been handled better

FC was definitely more like an adventure. you were embarking on a journey, exploring a new world pretty much seamlessly, solving mysteries, meeting new people etc
All of this happened in CS. Except that instead of going from region to region (which had no relevance outside of their own chapter) through a gate, you go by train. Have we played the same game? The only difference is that in one game, your goal is to visit all regions to become a bracer and in the other you visit all regions to become a well-rounded military member.

The focus of the dialog was focused on how class 7 was reacting to the events unfolding
Why was class 7 formed ? for what purpose ?
Similar in tone the whole noble and commonners narrative is explored both inside the class and outside the class ( be it in field studies than within the school itself via quests or simple Npc ( regular npc dialogue you can miss )

The "dull life" is exactly why it's intresting because the whole place is changing across the game timeline and a big part of the fun is them reacting to those events.
Now it's clear you didn't like it but it's obvious that cold steel actually tried to integrate that aspect into the plot and into the gameplay. Something totally missing from valkyria 2
------------------------------

in chapter 3 ?
the very end
in chapter 4 ?
or the very end
in chapter 5

Are those events not counting as plot , now ? because the "doesn't get going" argument , here , make little sense to me

no, it's all good when something happens. problem here is that it often gets drowned in mindless schoolyard chatter. you're most probably sick of their ramblings by the time something happens ;)

All of this happened in CS. Except that instead of going from region to region (which had no relevance outside of their own chapter) through a gate, you go by train. Have we played the same game? The only difference is that in one game, your goal is to visit all regions to become a bracer and in the other you visit all regions to become a well-rounded military member.

this game is totally different. you should know by now what i liked and what i disliked. look.at.the.script.and.your.dull.classmates.that.keep.rambling.

Famassu

in chapter 3 ?
the very end
in chapter 4 ?
or the very end
in chapter 5

I'd add the end of Chapter 2 to that as well as something pretty significant that happens.
The son of a non-noble is basically kidnapped by a noble family to use as leverage in negotiations

no, it's all good when something happens. problem here is that it often gets drowned in mindless schoolyard chatter. you're most probably sick of their ramblings by the time something happens ;)
Those things happen far from schoolyards and schoolyard chatter.

I'd add the end of Chapter 2 to that as well as something pretty significant that happens.
The son of a non-noble is basically kidnapped by a noble family to use as leverage in negotiations

Those things happen far from schoolyards and schoolyard chatter.

yes, but it's the same quality.

Famassu

yes, but it's the same quality.
Uhh.. no it's not. Setting aside the fact that even the schoolyard chatter in this game can offer some pretty solid, above average dialogue/writing from similar settings (not all of it is super awesome, but enough of it is decent enough to not drag the game down), it's just the kind of similar quality dialogue you have in Trails in the Sky, with these young inexperienced people trying to figure what they are supposed to do when thrown into situations they shouldn't be finding themselves in. It's not all that different from how Estelle & Joshua got into tricky situations they had to deal with even though it was usually way over their heads.

Uhh.. no it's not. Setting aside the fact that even the schoolyard chatter in this game can offer some pretty solid, above average dialogue/writing from similar settings (not all of it is super awesome, but enough of it is decent enough to not drag the game down), it's just the kind of dialogue you have in Trails in the Sky, with these young inexperienced people trying to figure what they are supposed to do when thrown into situations where they shouldn't be finding themselves in. It's not all that different from how Estelle & Joshua got into tricky situations they had to deal with even though it was usually way over their heads.
one could keep my attention, the other couldn't. i'm not saying everything was bad, just that it could have been better, or shorter.

one could keep my attention, the other couldn't. i'm not saying everything was bad, just that it could have been better, or shorter.

Be that as it may, the point is if you wonder why "people shrug it off like that", it's because they liked it and it kept their attention. Maybe some don't actually care for "adventurous plot". Maybe some like the characters more and like seeing them do mundane stuff. It's just that it didn't fit your personal taste. It's as simple as that.

And Sky FC wasnt the same way? Lol

If you hate the downtime talk because you hate the characters and the story than so be it. But please don't act like just because you dislike something, its objectively bad and we're all just shrugging it off. We all have our issues with the game, but there are many (including myself) that enjoy Cold Steel's characters.

Personally i can't stand Persona and its characters and story but im not running around telling everyone they're wrong for enjoying it and are just shrugging off it's issues.

FC was definitely more like an adventure. you were embarking on a journey, exploring a new world pretty much seamlessly, solving mysteries, meeting new people etc. stuff like that. you can write a big script for that and keep things interesting. that doesn't work as well in CS, where buying a train ticket is apparently seen as the biggest event in history.

i like slower storytelling, but this is just mundane.

Why are you so hung up on the train station cutscene. They take like two minutes lol.

As for your adventure thing, like i say a lot, context is really important. A traditional adventure works for something smaller and more connected like the country of Liberl. But Erebonia is massive and would take days to walk from one city to another. You can't go for the same type of traditional adventure theme in a country that's much more involved in politics and the military. I thought it was a very smart decision to have the game take place in a military academy as it gives the narrative an excuse to have characters group up and the field studys serve as a reason to explore a large number of areas in Erebonia, while having them involved in the political struggles throughout the game.

The game is still mostly based on going on an adventure, with the field studys being the core component of your class. Its just also mixed in with life sim aspects as well.

Nyoro SF

Comparing CS to VC2 is a big disservice to the funny NPC students.
I can see a similar complaint with the "bonding" system though, which tends to cheapen characterization

In situations where some major even happens, every single class member needs to give their cliched one-line opinion / reaction

*things happen*

Laura: We have to be calm and plan out next course of action *calm*

That got old quick, since it happened every time, and didn't add anything to the characters.

As for the pacing, my only problem was with the ends of the chapters, as things stopped too quickly and were usually resolved without any further explanation, with only some Rean monologue explaining what happened afterwards. This could have been handled better

Haha, I mentioned the EXACT same thing in my review. Did you see it? :)

If I were to rate how much fun and interest I had with the dialogue in this game it would be:
NPC Students/Townspeople (Pawn shop owner pls, I'm just browsing I swear to god)
Villains/Major NPCs (How are you going to kill me again?)
Class VII
Rean

Haha, I mentioned the EXACT same thing in my review. Did you see it? :)

If I were to rate how much fun and interest I had with the dialogue in this game it would be:

I did not! I can't seem to find it, feel free to send me a link :)

my ranking is similar, but I'll have to give some specific characters an extra spot at the top, they were just too good.

Fie/Crow/Angelica/Olivert + Mueller/Sharon
NPC Students/Townspeople (Mint <3)
Villains/Major NPCs
Class VII
Rean

Rean had some good moments and I get his character, but he was too awkward too often.

FULL GAME SPOILERS
At least he's a Super Saiyan AND a mech pilot, so it's not all bad!

I'm down to rank some characters.

Rean/Sara/Crow/Olivert/Sharon
Other important second years (Angelica, George, Towa)
Class VII
Instructors/Important NPCs
Imperial Liberation Front
Classmate NPCs

Nyoro SF

I did not! I can't seem to find it, feel free to send me a link :)

my ranking is similar, but I'll have to give some specific characters an extra spot at the top, they were just too good.

Fie/Crow/Angelica/Olivert + Mueller
NPC Students/Townspeople (Mint <3)
Villains/Major NPCs
Class VII
Rean

Rean had some good moments and I get his character, but he was too awkward too often.

FULL GAME SPOILERS
At least he's a Super Saiyan AND a mech pilot, so it's not all bad!

Yeah, my full writeup is here (ignore the Towa comment, only I am sensitive to that sort of thing)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192798681#post192798681

Olivier is the man, of course. He transitioned to 3D really well and his lines kept up too. Alfin also had good dialogue in terms of keeping pace with Olivier as well.

Rean's super blandness really flares up right in final chapter dialogue when
the post-dance conversations happen
, seriously you do all these harrowing things and bonding events (both literal and figurative) with your friends and you can only reply with such robotic lines? Disappointing!

I'm down to rank some characters.

Rean/Sara/Crow/Olivert
Other important second years (Angelica, George, Towa)
Class VII
Instructors/Important NPCs
Imperial Liberation Front
Classmate NPCs

I remember when Sara was criticizing the ILF, something about repeating back their overdramatic lines, it was a really funny moment.

I remember when Sara was criticizing the ILF, something about repeating back their overdramatic lines, it was a really funny moment.

Sara is hilarious. I remember on chapter 2
when she's giving that really emotional and heartfelt speech and everyone just laughs at her for actually saying it. It was so awkward in a really funny way.

My favorite moments with her though are the more serious ones like
the bonding event where she's drinking in the bar and mourning the anniversary of her dead comrade, her bitterness towards the imperial army as a whole (especially Osborne) for shutting down the Bracer guilds, and her bonfire speech where she tells you a bit about her past and home in North Ambria. I hope we learn more about her in CS2, or even get a new game/side story starring her.

Anyone who's OTP isn't Sara is a fucking charlatan.

I sure do hate Japan's "This woman is super damn attractive but she's aggressive and not meek and subservient and likes having fun and is loud and drinks and is silly and irreverent and might actually enjoy sex instead of crying and making kitten mewling noises during it, she ain't no Yameto Nadeshiko, so she's pretty much the most unattractive thing ever and will never marry which is the only point of living for a woman."

Like fuck that, I'd give her all my bonding points and date her at the drop of a damn hat.

Psxphile

Finished Chapter 5. The circle is complete.

And more and more I'm wondering what exactly is going on in Crossbell. Like, actual deets.
Knew "G" was a goner after that one scene in the woods, and sure enough... so the Imperial Liberation Front actually debuted in Zero/Ao? I take it since he was wearing a helmet when he left than his identity wasn't revealed in those games. Tut tut, to die a nameless NPC's death in a whole 'nother game... guy got robbed.

My ranking:
Olivert
Fie
Angelica/Alisa/Sara/Sharon/Mueller
Jusis/Laura/Patrick
Most good NPCs (especially Annabelle, Ferris, Vincent, Sariffa, Friedel, Mint, Makarov, Mary, Claris and her dad, etc)
Various other characters
Millium
Rean
Elise

How did I forget Sharon, damn

She's THE BEST

End Spoilers

The glimpse you get of her true identity and personality at the very end... my god, I didn't think she could get even better

How did I forget Sharon, damn

She's THE BEST

End Spoilers

The glimpse you get of her true identity and personality at the very and... my god, I didn't think she could get even better

Wow you're actually right, I kinda feel bad about forgetting her.

Massive end game spoilers

I kinda guessed the C being Crow thing around chapter 6, but her being an enforcer for Ouroboros was like fucking insane.

I kinda guessed the C being Crow thing around chapter 6, but her being an enforcer for Ouroboros was like fucking insane.

Also she's apparently a huge sadist. Rean is probably glad right now he declined that massage

Also she's apparently a huge sadist. Rean is probably glad right now he declined that massage

End game spoilers

It was pretty obvious she was a sadist from early on with the way she likes fucking with people and with all the sexual innuendos she makes. Her having steel threads as her weapon of choice only proves it even further.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles X, which means I can dig into this. If nothing else, I suspect it'll have a better soundtrack. I'm hoping to basically get an RPG that feels like the classics... Falcom tends to deliver just that, so I'm pretty excited to get started on this tonight.

Was shocked when I opened up the box and found an honest to God instruction manual.

Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles X, which means I can dig into this. If nothing else, I suspect it'll have a better soundtrack. I'm hoping to basically get an RPG that feels like the classics... Falcom tends to deliver just that, so I'm pretty excited to get started on this tonight.

Was shocked when I opened up the box and found an honest to God instruction manual.

Cold Steel has a fantastic OST. Much better than FC/SC's imo.

I figured it out from the conversation between her and Claire at the end of Chapter 6, because that title really sounded like an Enforcer title. But making that connection was definitely insane.

Nyoro SF

Oh, after beating the game, Eliminate Crisis and Belief are the best songs easily.

And yeah, afterschool hours beat is sick. After years of shitty home and school theme music I finally get a real tune in an unlikely place.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

*things happen*

Laura: We have to be calm and plan out next course of action *calm*

Haha, this happens in a LOT of JRPGs and it is a definite problem. It feels so unnatural and it flanderizes the characters.

Oh, after beating the game, Eliminate Crisis and Belief are the best songs easily.

And yeah, afterschool hours beat is sick. After years of shitty home and school theme music I finally get a real tune in an unlikely place.
Yeah Belief is rocking. Nothing gets me excited like To Become the Foundation of an Era or To Grasp Tomorrow though. I'm a sucker for electronic music with classical instruments, so this really resonated with me.
Haha, this happens in a LOT of JRPGs and it is a definite problem. It feels so unnatural and it flanderizes the characters.
I learned to deal with a lot of oddities in Japanese writing, but I never got this one. It's like they feel the need to remind the audience of the character's basic personalities every few hours.

I figured it out from the conversation between her and Claire at the end of Chapter 6, because that title really sounded like an Enforcer title. But making that connection was definitely insane.

End Game spoilers

Now that I think about it, that's probably when it should have been the most obvious point where you'd make that connection. I thought at worst she was just a spy for the noble faction or something, but I certainly didn't guess enforcer.

I sampled a couple tracks a month ago and recall them being fantastic. Falcom's sound team just kills it every time.

Afterschool Hours is one hell of a track

https://youtu.be/qVP_nCK0tXU

And the game has some extremely pumping/motivational music in exactly the right places. I don't have a single problem with the OST, it's masterful and spans a good number of musical genres

Yup. OST is arguably the best part. I think the voice acting for the most part is very well done as well. There's great sound design all around for this game.

Exceed!, Risking Everything, Here We Stand, and The Decisive Collision are probably my favorites on the track, though I'm a sucker for the heart pumping music. A lot of the school and town themes are great as well.

Top Bottom