• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

And Sky FC wasnt the same way? Lol

If you hate the downtime talk because you hate the characters and the story than so be it. But please don't act like just because you dislike something, its objectively bad and we're all just shrugging it off. We all have our issues with the game, but there are many (including myself) that enjoy Cold Steel's characters.

Personally i can't stand Persona and its characters and story but im not running around telling everyone they're wrong for enjoying it and are just shrugging off it's issues.

Why are you so hung up on the train station cutscene. They take like two minutes lol.

As for your adventure thing, like i say a lot, context is really important. A traditional adventure works for something smaller and more connected like the country of Liberl. But Erebonia is massive and would take days to walk from one city to another. You can't go for the same type of traditional adventure theme in a country that's much more involved in politics and the military. I thought it was a very smart decision to have the game take place in a military academy as it gives the narrative an excuse to have characters group up and the field studys serve as a reason to explore a large number of areas in Erebonia, while having them involved in the political struggles throughout the game.

The game is still mostly based on going on an adventure, with the field studys being the core component of your class. Its just also mixed in with life sim aspects as well.

it was good from beginning to end, yes. i'm not telling you what to enjoy. you can enjoy the biggest turd and i won't care. i just explained why it's bloated and boring, that's it. you never explained what's so great about all that spam. the train cutscenes are just examples. they go on endlessly about nothing for no reason.

it wasn't very adventurous to me. you were either in your school or right next to town. it was all too safe. i think i've said all i wanted to say. not my fault some people only focus on negative elements.

Yup. OST is arguably the best part. I think the voice acting for the most part is very well done as well. There's great sound design all around for this game.

With the voice acting as well, Class VII kind of drew the short end of the stick imo. Although Rean showed some promising emotional range in the end.

But some of the major NPCs? Damn did they pick some talent for those. Rufus, Olivert, Sharon, Towa, Angelica, Crow, Alfin, Claire, Misty were all amazing. Exceeded all my expectations. Sara is a bit mixed but she grew on me.

it was good from beginning to end, yes. i'm not telling you what to enjoy. you can enjoy the biggest turd and i won't care. i just explained why it's bloated and boring, that's it. you never explained what's so great about all that spam. the train cutscenes are just examples. they go on endlessly about nothing for no reason.

it wasn't very adventurous to me. you were either in your school or right next to town. it was all too safe. i think i've said all i wanted to say. not my fault some people only focus on negative elements.

I enjoy it because I like the banter between the characters whether its heavier dialogue or just talking about dumb school stuff. There's nothing to explain about "what's so great" because you either like it or you don't and you clearly don't. What you call "tedious spam," I call banter or conversation.

CS gives you the option to speed through dialogue though. Maybe you would've enjoyed it more if you just held down the O button during the cutscenes?

I do agree that the game has little in terms of environmental exploration. The closest we got is chapter 3, but even then I agree with others that it kinda got boring to explore pretty quickly. Also, if you choose to highlight the negative elements then good for you I guess? I really don't care either way.

With the voice acting as well, Class VII kind of drew the short end of the stick imo. Although Rean showed some promising emotional range in the end.

But some of the major NPCs? Damn did they pick some talent for those. Rufus, Olivert, Sharon, Towa, Angelica, Crow, Alfin, Claire, Misty were all amazing. Exceeded all my expectations. Sara is a bit mixed but she grew on me.

Besides maybe Rean, Jusis, and Fie, I definitely agree that Class 7's VA is lesser compared to the major NPCs. I don't think any of them are bad, but there's a pretty noticable difference in quality between the two groups.

Stuart444

So finally got to the end of Chapter 1 today before stopping. Enjoying it a lot so far. Liking all the characters. I've not found any hidden requests though :( gotta try harder in the next Chapter.

Also small NPC spoiler from the field study trip in Ch1:
I enjoyed how every so often when running past the kids near the chapel, things kept changing/updating. It was fun to see though Jake is a meanie :(.

So finally got to the end of Chapter 1 today before stopping. Enjoying it a lot so far. Liking all the characters. I've not found any hidden requests though :( gotta try harder in the next Chapter.

Also small NPC spoiler from the field study trip in Ch1:
I enjoyed how every so often when running past the kids near the chapel, things kept changing/updating. It was fun to see though Jake is a meanie :(.

The hidden requests are really tough to find, especially if you're going for 100% of them. You'd have to talk to every NPC during each time change or after a significant event in order to actually be able to find all of them. I'm using a guide for my second run and can't believe how many I missed lol.

And yeah, NPC's having their own little stories is great. One of the best part about the school setting in this game is following each classmate's story. It really helps to flesh out the school environment.

Nyoro SF

I agree on all counts here.
XSEED knocked it out of the park with ALL of the secondary characters.
I think out of all of those my favorite was Olivier and Sharon's voices, though sometimes I felt like Sara and Claire's voices were a little off sometimes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Niethardt was still the best, because I couldn't stop hearing Kratos Aurion and Liquid Snake whenever he spoke.

ta9qi

im at the last boss (i assume?)
the one in the old house that can suck one of your team
, what it the require level for it, im playing hard and each one of my team is 61..felt like its impossible from the first few tries :(

, what it the require level for it, im playing hard and each one of my team is 61..felt like its impossible from the first few tries :(

Use the adamanite shield spell or w/e its call that is an aoe physical immunity spell and speed up spells. You'll become basically invincible.
Its also the true final boss even if there are a few more story fights afterwards, so don't be afraid to use your zeram stuff to spam scrafts

if you manage to do enough damage he will always try to trap one of your guys. i just used speed up spells and tried to have 100cp ready to disrupt him. didn't use anything fancy.

bomblord1

Banned
Once he sucks up your team mates if you do enough damage he'll spit them out. Do your best to save S-Crafts for that. Also, I played the game on Normal and was at a higher level on that boss and still had a difficult time.

If you have Alisha in your party and her default master quartz is maxed out it's good to throw her into the fray because she gets 2 revives that max out her CP on revive making it easy to get S-Crafts for those moments. Once she is out of revives I would probably swap her for either Laura or Emma as both of them can do a ton of damage make sure their Quartz and items are set up to max Attack and ATS respectively.

I would put both Jusis and Elliot in your party and absolutely spam both Noble Command and Resounding Beat (they can stack 2 times).

Finally Rean as he can interrupt spells and can quickly get up his S-Craft by killing the respawning trash mobs (with default master quartz).

use all your Zerum capsules to gain quick CP and boost and hit them with an s-craft whenever it steals one of your teammates. Try to constantly have a regen spell going whether its through one of elliot's skills or through that one quartz that fully heals all teammates and puts a regen on them. Speed and attack buffs are always good as well.

So I made a post here regarding should I import steel 2 or not

Imported it two weeks ago and finally finished it yesterday. Here's my impression

my god so fking good will double dip for English version. Also I can see them remaking zero/so for ps4

Nyoro SF

I won my auction today for a new copy of CS2, it should arrive from Japan in a week or so. (a new physical copy costs 2200 yen, but the digital version on PSN costs 6800 yen... ok).

use all your Zerum capsules to gain quick CP and boost and hit them with an s-craft whenever it steals one of your teammates. Try to constantly have a regen spell going whether its through one of elliot's skills or through that one quartz that fully heals all teammates and puts a regen on them. Speed and attack buffs are always good as well.

Regarding that boss
If you buff Laura and then do her Armor Breaker craft, it should free your buddy. Her STR is so high, that Armor Breaker with proper STR+ quartz and buffs should exceed most of the S-Crafts in your party in terms of damage.

I thought that boss was pretty easy sadly, since he only really has one threatening attack, and his speed is not very good either.
Seraphic Ring
really trivializes the game after this point sadly. :(

Stuart444

So I'm not sure what it is yet or if I missed a tutorial on it or something but what is that golden light I see sometimes around characters? Like when they attack and a big golden circle that appears and becomes smaller?

So I'm not sure what it is yet or if I missed a tutorial on it or something but what is that golden light I see sometimes around characters? Like when they attack and a big golden circle that appears and becomes smaller?
I think that's when they reach 100CP and their S Craft becomes available
Maybe at 200 CP as well

I won my auction today for a new copy of CS2, it should arrive from Japan in a week or so. (a new physical copy costs 2200 yen, but the digital version on PSN costs 6800 yen... ok).

Regarding that boss
If you buff Laura and then do her Armor Breaker craft, it should free your buddy. Her STR is so high, that Armor Breaker with proper STR+ quartz and buffs should exceed most of the S-Crafts in your party in terms of damage.

I thought that boss was pretty easy sadly, since he only really has one threatening attack, and his speed is not very good either.
Seraphic Ring
really trivializes the game after this point sadly. :(

Its kinda weird how there's no
aoe healing spells between holy breath and seraphic ring. Like its either you heal 30%-50% in a large range or you heal all in a max range, from death and with a regen spell as well. Its pretty nuts.

Nyoro SF

Speaking of the S-Crafts... my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure in Cold Steel the S-Craft priming sound when you activate one is a revolver barrel click. In Sky it did a soft chime echo, so I wonder if Ao/Zero have a different sound for S-Craft lock-in.

Its kinda weird how there's no
aoe healing spells between holy breath and seraphic ring. Like its either you heal 30%-50% in a large range or you heal all in a max range, from death and with a regen spell as well. Its pretty nuts.

Speaking of this quartz, I remember one poster here arguing near launch that Elliot gets made redundant late-game... and yeah, now that I've beaten it, he definitely does. Not sure why they made Emma outclass him so hard. Probably because the dev team thinks Emma is just so much cooler or whatever.

adz2ka

My Amazon UK order was dispatched today! First weekend to myself in ages, perfect timing. This will be straight on the VitaTV

ta9qi

Thanks guys, just win the fight,
so many times i was one step to hell, serphant ring is so effective (specially how fast it is), also spamming that mighty shield (didnt know it will resist the sucking).
throw most of my rare items..trusting your word that nothing more powerful is waiting for me @@
wasnt lucky at all with the criticals (it can change everything)

Famassu

Thanks guys, just win the fight,
so many times i was one step to hell, serphant ring is so effective (specially how fast it is), also spamming that mighty shield (didnt know it will resist the sucking).
throw most of my rare items..trusting your word that nothing more powerful is waiting for me @@
wasnt lucky at all with the criticals (it can change everything)
You've only got
fights to go and (no story spoilers, little spoilers about the nature of the fights)
there's only one regular fight that shouldn't pose that big of a problem, one fight that you cannot win and two fights where you cannot use items in for a certain reason
, so yeah, even if you've used tons of cp-recovering items, that doesn't really affect the rest of the game for you all that much.

Speaking of this quartz, I remember one poster here arguing near launch that Elliot gets made redundant late-game... and yeah, now that I've beaten it, he definitely does. Not sure why they made Emma outclass him so hard. Probably because the dev team thinks Emma is just so much cooler or whatever.

It's sad cuz elliot is actually really good in the early to mid game. Defense buffs, detector and regen right from the beginning is a god send, but then Emma gets all that shit and more and with a better ATS and i start to wonder who would use elliot over her by the endgame unless you really like elliot/dislike emma.

I still got a ton of use out of Alisa since she has strong magic, a god tier master quartz at level 5, and the 50% chance to burn enemies on one of her skills is great to have.

Rhapsody

Banned
On chapter
now. It's been fun so far. While do find myself liking Sky much more due to various reasons, I can't wait to see how this one ends. Especially with the praise I've heard over Sen II.

Stuart444

I think that's when they reach 100CP and their S Craft becomes available
Maybe at 200 CP as well

Yeah, figured that out after seeing this post. Paid attention to when it was happening after reading this.

Anyway Chapter 2 done, enjoying it a lot so far, really curious about a number of things, characters, what's going to happen later in the game and what references are from previous games (this being the first Trails game I've played properly despite owning FC/SC on Steam). It's been quite fun though and considering people say this is a slow start and stuff, it makes me look forward to the bits people say are 'good' later in the game when the plot supposedly gets going.

I have gotten a bit rekt'd by some monsters (ones that stun/confuse mainly, especially ones that stun/confuse and have so many enemies that it happens 4+ times in a row) along with some bosses. Only one boss though so far that some members were dead when I ended it which annoyed me :(.
The 3 enemies in that old school house which used a cry of some sorts on me. Do I need to finish each floor of that place when we're told to investigate it in each chapter or can we put it off til later? Just curious.

But yeah, providing this doesn't go downhill, I'll almost certainly buy Trails of Cold Steel 2 whenever it's out.

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah, figured that out after seeing this post. Paid attention to when it was happening after reading this.

Anyway Chapter 2 done, enjoying it a lot so far, really curious about a number of things, characters, what's going to happen later in the game and what references are from previous games (this being the first Trails game I've played properly despite owning FC/SC on Steam). It's been quite fun though and considering people say this is a slow start and stuff, it makes me look forward to the bits people say are 'good' later in the game when the plot supposedly gets going.

I have gotten a bit rekt'd by some monsters (ones that stun/confuse mainly, especially ones that stun/confuse and have so many enemies that it happens 4+ times in a row) along with some bosses. Only one boss though so far that some members were dead when I ended it which annoyed me :(.
The 3 enemies in that old school house which used a cry of some sorts on me. Do I need to finish each floor of that place when we're told to investigate it in each chapter or can we put it off til later? Just curious.

But yeah, providing this doesn't go downhill, I'll almost certainly buy Trails of Cold Steel 2 whenever it's out.
1 additional floor per chapter you need to clear only the newest one to advance the story

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Huh... I'm about 6 hours into the game, and I love it. This is basically exactly the game I wanted to play.

I know it's supposed to be a slow burn early on, so if I'm liking it this much right now, I'm hoping I'll be floored when the game kicks into high gear.

Psxphile

Chapter 6 sidequest question:
"A Personal Request" - the guides mention you get +2 bonus ap for winning the fight against Angelica (though it seems you get a game over if you lose?), doesn't bonus AP actually show up on-screen when you meet the requirements? They didn't show up for me, and now I'm fretting whether I'll get those bonus AP or not... I'd need to actually progress a bit before I'll get the end-of-day evaluation to see if I got the extra points.
Someone please tell me I'm worrying over nothing, lol

I think someone mentioned in the past missing out on some AP even though they followed a guide to the T, I just don't recall what chapter it was in. I hope I didn't run into the same problem!

Famassu

Final dungeon on Nightmare, dun. Dat Zeram CP-heal whoring. :3 Really, the toughest thing about Nightmare is how easily your characters can die. Dealing damage really isn't the problem, dying to a single powerful attack even when you over 10,000HP, defense buffs & everything is kinda annoying. At that point it's really just down to luck, whether some character dodges an attack or not.

Anyhoo, about the final, FINAL boss...

Is there really no noticeable difference between two of the extremely similar stances that have two different weak points? Also, what's the absolute best tactic for beating Crow? I had a hard enough time beating him on Normal, can't even imagine how bad he might be on Nightmare... Do Rean's quartz & equipment matter to the Azure Knight's stats or is it just based on level?

Chapter 6 sidequest question:
"A Personal Request" - the guides mention you get +2 bonus ap for winning the fight against Angelica (though it seems you get a game over if you lose?), doesn't bonus AP actually show up on-screen when you meet the requirements? They didn't show up for me, and now I'm fretting whether I'll get those bonus AP or not... I'd need to actually progress a bit before I'll get the end-of-day evaluation to see if I got the extra points.
Someone please tell me I'm worrying over nothing, lol

I think someone mentioned in the past missing out on some AP even though they followed a guide to the T, I just don't recall what chapter it was in. I hope I didn't run into the same problem!
You can see the AP you've gotten from any given quest from the quest log. Bonus AP shows up as, for example, 3 (+ 2)

Gu4n

Is there really no noticeable difference between two of the extremely similar stances that have two different weak points? Also, what's the absolute best tactic for beating C? I had a hard enough time beating him on Normal, can't even imagine how bad he might be on Nightmare... Do Rean's quartz & equipment matter to the Azure Knight's stats or is it just based on level?
Just based on level... and luck. So good luck with that.

Psxphile

You can see the AP you've gotten from any given quest from the quest log. Bonus AP shows up as, for example, 3 (+ 2)
... there's a QUEST LOG?!?

Just kidding. Shit, why didn't I think of that? I really need to pay more attention to the notebook stuff. For example:

Chapter 1 West Celdic Highway Monster quest log said:
  • Zwordar? More like... Wait, it's name was seriously 'Zwordar'?
    Anyway, it's gone now, we should tell Otto.
  • We told Otto that we eliminated Zwordar.
    ... Sorry, I'm still not over that name.
I found this humorous.

EDIT: ah, one of Alisa's lines stops short during
the dialogue w/ Ferris about the School Festival.
That's unfortunate.

MildSoss

Just finished the game tonight, took my time and probably clocked in at around 80 hours by the end. Super enjoyable experience, the wait for part two is gonna be excruciating.

Probably a good time to finish up Trials in the sky FC and SC. Gonna be hard to go back after playing with all the improvements they did with the Cold Steel battle system. lol

Erheller

... there's a QUEST LOG?!?

Just kidding. Shit, why didn't I think of that? I really need to pay more attention to the notebook stuff. For example:

I found this humorous.

EDIT: ah, one of Alisa's lines stops short during
the dialogue w/ Ferris about the School Festival.
That's unfortunate.

There's funny text in the quest log?! Damn, I need to load up a save file and read up.

boclfon

Neo Member
so my friend convinced me to get the game on the 10th, and I've been playing it constantly since then. just beat it a few minutes ago...

the final part of the game gave me a feeling of excitement that I have only gotten from 2 other games, Xenoblade Chronicles and Mass Effect 1..

I cannot WAIT for SC now, is there a timeframe for a release in the west besides "this year"?

Wow, I had no idea all of Falcom's soundtracks and albums are up on Spotify. Full version of Ashita Eno Kodo (op song) is so, so good. Listened to it on repeat all the way to work this morning. Dat Cold Steel withdrawal symptom, lol.

Though I'm not sure why the boss theme (don't be defeated by a friend) ends up being the most played piece of music from the soundtrack. Do people just play boss music in their everyday activities or something? :p

BluWacky

Did anyone else wait for the European release?

Anyone?

*crickets*

Anyway, it's finally out in the UK tomorrow so hopefully will arrive with me then. Quite when I'll get round to playing it in a week that also had The Witness and Rise of the Tomb Raider PC
and Lego Avengers which is what has taken up most of my time shut up
I have no idea.

Stuart444

Yes... and it came a week early courtesy of the NISA Europe store :p.

Enjoying it so much that I feel it was worth the shipping prices :p

I really hope this and Trails 2 does well enough for XSEED so we get Trails of Cold Steel 3.

BluWacky

Damn it! Ah well, I'll make do with my slightly delayed copy.

The Lionheart edition looked snazzy but I have no need for collector's edition stuff.

I really hope this and Trails 2 does well enough for XSEED so we get Trails of Cold Steel 3.

Well, at least three of us have European copies! That'll count for SOMETHING!

-_-

I wasn't able to wait for the EU launch and I'm glad I didn't :) The XSEED LE is also snazzy as hell

Here's hoping the thread gets a bit of an activity bump next week! For what it's worth, NISA EU is doing a good amount of promotion on social media for the game.

I avoided the thread a bit while I was playing but I'd love to read some more fresh impressions without worrying about getting spoiled

EDIT: My only regret is not being able to use Emma's casual clothes DLC. It looks so good

Thoraxes

Enjoying it so much that I feel it was worth the shipping prices :p

I've been preaching this game as hard as I can to all of my friends, and so far i've gotten a good 6 people to pick it up (and they all love it so far too). Though I think i'm the only one who bought a PS3 and Vita copy lol.

I even lent out my Vita TV to the first guy I convinced to pick it up, too.

panzone

Anyone?

*crickets*

Anyway, it's finally out in the UK tomorrow so hopefully will arrive with me then. Quite when I'll get round to playing it in a week that also had The Witness and Rise of the Tomb Raider PC
and Lego Avengers which is what has taken up most of my time shut up
I have no idea.

I'm waiting the European release and I'm thinking of getting it digital so that I can start playing this night instead of tomorrow.

These two might be my favourite minor non-school NPCs

RFXS3xA.jpg

aravuus

The kids are probably the only school area NPCs I consistently ignore. I might talk to them if they're in a situation that looks interesting (like Kay talking to the nun, excited as all hell), but for the most part they're the only NPCs that I just run past and go "eh" all the time.

I even talk to the flower shop lady every day, and flowers are literally the whole world for that dull bitch

Top Bottom