• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Stuart444

I love Linde + Vivi. Ever since the quest where
Vivi tricks you into buying the Grand rose.
:D It's fun watching the way Vivi teases Linde lol.

Also I really like talking to Becky. Nice to have a Scottish sounding lass :p.

But I really like most of the NPCs so far. Only ones I weren't that interested in talking to so far were
the nobles in Chapter 2s field study area. Though I did like Suzanne and their family and the chef in the dining place.

aravuus

Also I really like talking to Becky. Nice to have a Scottish sounding lass :p.

Dem DQ VIII flashbacks

And yeah, I also really like Linde and Vivi and their interactions.

Also also, I love the fact that
Vincent (? The noble guy anyway) and his secret fan girl
got a whole side quest of their own and that you'd know who she is right from the beginning if you've been talking to the right NPCs. Awesome touch and a hilarious side quest.

Game is coming tomorrow for me. Got the final chapter for trails in the sky sc but looking forward to cold steel. Found trails in the sky to be a very good game so here's hoping cold steel can hit the same notes to some degree.

occelinho

Chapter 6 sidequest question:
"A Personal Request" - the guides mention you get +2 bonus ap for winning the fight against Angelica (though it seems you get a game over if you lose?) [...]

You don't need to beat Angelica. There is an option to continue with the story at the "game over" screen. You can still finish the quest this way, but will get less AP.

Famassu

Damn that last boss was annoying on Nightmare, especially since dumb old me got in the way of finishing the boss when I had the chance.
had 1 turn of str buff left, could've done Rush but pressed X instead. o*\ Lost the str buff and on the second turn I used Rush but it wasn't quite enough to kill the boss. I still had ~20,000HP but of course Crow managed to get a double hit in, with the first one taking almost over 12,000hps and the second one somewhere along 8000-9000

Anyone who is having trouble on the last fight... (nightmade mode or otherwise)

The buff ability the mech has stacks twice and you can refresh it before it expires and basically keep it up 90% of the time, makes the fight super easy even on Nightmare.

wrowa

I really hope this and Trails 2 does well enough for XSEED so we get Trails of Cold Steel 3.

In terms of appealing to a western audience, it's really quite a shame the next Trails will be another Cold Steel sequel. Considering CS3 will likely be the first game on PS4, it's the first recent game in the series that is actually on a platform that is popular in the west. That's quite a chance, but that advantage gets lost if people need the prior knowledge of CS 1 and 2.

And, yeah, hopefully CS2 will sell enough to make CS3 worthwhile. I'm rather nervous about CS2's performance, considering that SC only reached about 10% of FC's userbase so far (on Steam). CS only got finished by 10% of its players so far as well. Makes me wonder if the Trails series is just too slow for western tastes. :(

max_505

Just started Chapter 6

LOL @ how school life is never complete without
some sort of culture festival. I loved Persona 4's school festival scene, so I'm looking forward to how this will turn out in CS.

ta9qi

You've only got
fights to go and (no story spoilers, little spoilers about the nature of the fights)
there's only one regular fight that shouldn't pose that big of a problem, one fight that you cannot win and two fights where you cannot use items in for a certain reason
, so yeah, even if you've used tons of cp-recovering items, that doesn't really affect the rest of the game for you all that much.
Just completed the game, everything was easy..until i reached
Azure knight, damn it was sooooooo hard, my hp 78k, tried with him maybe 15 times or more until the game stuck, repeated all the fights&long cutscenes,in the fight with scarlet i stacked some CP's, but it return to 0 when you fight crow :(
had a really tough time until i won after maybe another 15 tries p=
btw his weak points are the same always!
Now the wait for Cold steel 2 begain, is there official new from XSEED that they are working on it?

wrowa

Now the wait for Cold steel 2 begain, is there official new from XSEED that they are working on it?

The latest CS2 update is from January 12th, I think.

"Translation: 95% complete
Editing: 42% complete

And those numbers mean...we're right on schedule! Translation on the 1.45 million character monster started in February 2015, and editing began shortly after Trails of Cold Steel finished wrapping up."

"We're keeping our launch window for Trails of Cold Steel II simply '2016' for now, but we hope to keep you guys regularly updated here on various parts of the process as we go along."

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/?fref=ts

Famassu

Just completed the game, everything was easy..until i reached
Azure knight, damn it was sooooooo hard, my hp 78k, tried with him maybe 15 times or more until the game stuck, repeated all the fights&long cutscenes,in the fight with scarlet i stacked some CP's, but it return to 0 when you fight crow :(
had a really tough time until i won after maybe another 15 tries p=
btw his weak points are the same always!
The weak point is always the same for two of the stances (and the defensive stance has no weak point), but there's that one stance where he puts the weapon behind his back sideways where the weak point can be either his head or his body and there's no way to tell the difference.

The translation of Cold Steel II is almost 100% complete and they'll start recording voices around March. It'll still take several months before it hits the stores. I'm hoping for an August/September release but it could take longer.

These two might be my favourite minor non-school NPCs

The theme of try-hard delinquents has not gone unnoticed.

The weak point is always the same for two of the stances (and the defensive stance has no weak point), but there's that one stance where he puts the weapon behind his back sideways where the weak point can be either his head or his body and there's no way to tell the difference.

I had Rean block 6 times in a row. AIDIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In terms of appealing to a western audience, it's really quite a shame the next Trails will be another Cold Steel sequel. Considering CS3 will likely be the first game on PS4, it's the first recent game in the series that is actually on a platform that is popular in the west. That's quite a chance, but that advantage gets lost if people need the prior knowledge of CS 1 and 2.

And, yeah, hopefully CS2 will sell enough to make CS3 worthwhile. I'm rather nervous about CS2's performance, considering that SC only reached about 10% of FC's userbase so far (on Steam). CS only got finished by 10% of its players so far as well. Makes me wonder if the Trails series is just too slow for western tastes. :(

CS1 is a really long game and it's only been out for a month. I'd give it more time before we start hypothesizing using the numbers.

And remember what XSEED said about FC/SC. The release of SC in tandem with the sale on FC helped to boost the number of sales FC received. It'll most likely be the same situation with CS1 and 2 where they expect the second game to have a long tail like they do with SC.

Hopefully they can somewhere down the line work with Falcom to get CS1-2 on PC to help boost sales, but that's a long shot at this point.

Psxphile

These two might be my favourite minor non-school NPCs
That Patty was a mean cuss. She'd constantly shit on Machias for no reason, lol. Though after repeated interactions with them you get the distinct feeling that
it's all an act. They're just wannabe delinquents.

Though I'm not sure why the boss theme (don't be defeated by a friend) ends up being the most played piece of music from the soundtrack. Do people just play boss music in their everyday activities or something? :p

It's the adrenaline rush.

*plays 'Mighty Obstacle' while preparing breakfast*

Wow, I had no idea all of Falcom's soundtracks and albums are up on Spotify. Full version of Ashita Eno Kodo (op song) is so, so good. Listened to it on repeat all the way to work this morning. Dat Cold Steel withdrawal symptom, lol.

Though I'm not sure why the boss theme (don't be defeated by a friend) ends up being the most played piece of music from the soundtrack. Do people just play boss music in their everyday activities or something? :p

It's a really good song and boss music in these games makes for good gym/running music. I always got exceed! going since that's my favorite of the boss themes

max_505

Wow, I had no idea all of Falcom's soundtracks and albums are up on Spotify. Full version of Ashita Eno Kodo (op song) is so, so good. Listened to it on repeat all the way to work this morning. Dat Cold Steel withdrawal symptom, lol.

I DID NOT know this. My commute's gonna be a bit easier (and badass) from now on. Thanks!

Baliis

No shit? When did that happen? I've looked for um before but they weren't there. I do remember seeing on twitter that their music was going up on a bunch of services but I didn't think Spotify was one of them.

ta9qi

you dont know how you made my day with the almost completion translation infos, with all the exciting talk about Cold 2..and the way 1 ended..
also we will get rid of the boring school life
can anyone post a link to the ost when they traveling on train, didnt find it on youtube and theres many ost to get lost in @@
one of my best in the game.

Erheller

you dont know how you made my day with the almost completion translation infos, with all the exciting talk about Cold 2..and the way 1 ended..
also we will get rid of the boring school life
can anyone post a link to the ost when they traveling on train, didnt find it on youtube and theres many ost to get lost in @@
one of my best in the game.

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwELR6noD0M

I love how it has the melody of the opening cutscene song. I'm a huge sucker for slower/instrumental versions of theme songs :3

sharnaak

Finally got my copy from the nisa eu store, it seems like I ended in the tier 1 of the launch edition!

N5jLf91.jpg

And now I'm off to enjoy the game, if I don't fall asleep before actually reaching my vita.

No shit? When did that happen? I've looked for um before but they weren't there. I do remember seeing on twitter that their music was going up on a bunch of services but I didn't think Spotify was one of them.

May be recent, their popularity numbers are fairly low. I mean, Falcom games are niche, but probably not that niche?

Anyway, search Spotify for "Falcom Sound Team jdk" as the artist and you'll find them all.

zakujanai

Do Xseed even know that this is out in Europe today? All they ever tweet about is some terrible looking crap called Nitroplus Blasterz. I don't know how much of a difference it would make at this point, but a little promotion for this wouldn't hurt.

Do Xseed even know that this is out in Europe today? All they ever tweet about is some terrible looking crap called Nitroplus Blasterz. I don't know how much of a difference it would make at this point, but a little promotion for this wouldn't hurt.

Considering Nitroplus and Popolocrois are their next releases, I would hope that they focus more on promoting them than a game that they aren't even publishing in Europe. I honestly think they're doing pretty well on that end as well, considering they're also listing a constant stream of reviews for it. If dozens of highly praised reviews can't sell people on the game, I doubt there's anything better Xseed could do themselves.

NISA is promoting it, as they are the publisher in EU. I'm sure they'll mention it but it's like asking why Falcom doesnt tweet about it but shows Ys8 instead.

zakujanai

NISA is promoting it, as they are the publisher in EU. I'm sure they'll mention it but it's like asking why Falcom doesnt tweet about it but shows Ys8 instead.

I wouldn't expect them to put all of their focus into it, but it just seems really weird to not mention it at all. I did notice both xseed and falcom actually tweeted an EU review today so that's something I guess.

Just out of the prologue and I love it. I had been concerned about the tropey-seeming characters beforehand but I feel like I'm already getting attached to each of them.

What's with the titles of some of the books on the bookshelves? My favorite has to be "Christ, who's gonna die next?".

wrowa

I wouldn't expect them to put all of their focus into it, but it just seems really weird to not mention it at all. I did notice both xseed and falcom actually tweeted an EU review today so that's something I guess.

Ýou'd think it's in their best interest to at least RT NISA's launch tweet, but well, I guess it doesn't make a huge difference. Although I wouldn't be surprised if more Europeans followed XSEED's Twitter account than NISA Europe's.

bobohoro

It feels kinda surreal starting this after only finishing SC last week, while having to have waited for that for years.
So good.

Stuart444

So just finished Chapter 3:

Lechter? I looked him up and saw he was in both 3rd and Ao no Kiseki. Cool stuff. Maybe one day I'll play through them, be it via official translation or just in Japanese.

Everyone besides Class VII seems to have a better understanding of what's going on. Especially with all the sneaking about (like Sara and Sharon during that scene at the end)

I am loving the character development so far. The stuff about Alisa and her family was rather interesting.

I did enjoy the Nord Highlands though I can see why people would get sick of it. The scene with the Stars along with the Sunset during the evening times were very lovely. Also the music was so good and relaxing <3

Also Gaius' family is so nice and his siblings are so cute ^_^ I hope we get to see them (and Sharl for the Thoma/Sharl stuff since we never saw them together in this Chapter) again.

Tomorrow, I'll start Chapter 4. TV is the weakest for me on a Saturday so I'll have pretty much all day I guess :) see how much I can get done.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, finally decided to start over on hard after 15 hours because normal was incredibly easy and boring.

The game is immensely more fun now. And it took me about an hour in to figure out that if you hold circle it fast forwards through cutscenes. That makes it a bit easier to restart.

Nyoro SF

All I hope is that Cold Steel 2 doesn't have as many
villain sandbagging
fights as SC did. That got super obnoxious story-wise when I was pulling off clean ass whoopings on villains.

I haven't played CS2. This is just my random guess reading into the game's overall introduction of the characters :

As the series keeps introducing OP-as-fuck [good guys] like Cassius and Victor on a continental scale ( I expect Calvard to have its fair share of OP as fuck good guys too ), while also not short on supply on top-class characters like Sara, I kinda expect this trend to continue
until the final arc of the game, where we'd have a Super Robot Wars-ish EVERYBODY FROM EVERY GAME NOW JOIN FORCES TOGETHER

To do that
they would have to scale back on killing too many villains, because the potential cast of characters on the good side is already huge

Psxphile

I really wish people would stop "coyly" hinting to CS2 things outside of spoilers.

I'd rather people not talk about CS2 in general in a thread focused on CS1. We have a whole nother thread for inter-franchise discussion with lots of activity nowadays, and I'm sure there was an import thread for the sequel at some point.

Ok, finally decided to start over on hard after 15 hours because normal was incredibly easy and boring.

The game is immensely more fun now. And it took me about an hour in to figure out that if you hold circle it fast forwards through cutscenes. That makes it a bit easier to restart.

While it tends to get more difficult towards the end, I agree. Normal in this game for the most part is even easier than Trails SC was. Definitely gonna go into CS2 on hard to make the fights more rewarding.

So just finished Chapter 3:

Lechter? I looked him up and saw he was in both 3rd and Ao no Kiseki. Cool stuff. Maybe one day I'll play through them, be it via official translation or just in Japanese.

Everyone besides Class VII seems to have a better understanding of what's going on. Especially with all the sneaking about (like Sara and Sharon during that scene at the end)

I am loving the character development so far. The stuff about Alisa and her family was rather interesting.

I did enjoy the Nord Highlands though I can see why people would get sick of it. The scene with the Stars along with the Sunset during the evening times were very lovely. Also the music was so good and relaxing <3

Also Gaius' family is so nice and his siblings are so cute ^_^ I hope we get to see them (and Sharl for the Thoma/Sharl stuff since we never saw them together in this Chapter) again.

Tomorrow, I'll start Chapter 4. TV is the weakest for me on a Saturday so I'll have pretty much all day I guess :) see how much I can get done.

Nord Highlands was cool the first time, but on my replay it was just kind of a slog.

Chapter 4 is when I really started to get super into the game though. Have fun!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT at the ending!!!

It's going to be one painful wait for ToCS II!!!

It's late where I live so I'll do my debrief on the last 2 chapters later today

people

Enjoy the game Europe people! You're in for something awesome.

I'm considering this doing this too, although I'm only a few hours in. If the 'orienteering' dungeon is representative of the (combat) difficulty (compared to your party's development and abilities) along the line, I can see it becoming lacking in challenge. On the other hand it's been a while since I played a party based RPG like this, so I might just continue on normal and 'go with it' like Sara suggested.

Also thanks for the tip about the circle button, I already replayed a few sections because I forgot to save.

A question for Vita players, what touchscreen functionality does this game actually have? The back of the box mentions it, but that's it as far as I've seen so far.

Famassu

A question for Vita players, what touchscreen functionality does this game actually have? The back of the box mentions it, but that's it as far as I've seen so far.
Touch screen functionality? I've played this game for 115 hours and I haven't done anything with the touch screen. :D Maybe some menu stuff? Or can you do an S-break by pressing the red circle near characters' portraits in battle (on PC you can do S-break by pressing it with a mouse)?

people

A couple times I've accidentally switched characters on the field by touching their portraits.

Maybe some menu stuff? Or can you do an S-break by pressing the red circle near characters' portraits in battle (on PC you can do S-break by pressing it with a mouse)?
I'll keep these in mind. The only time I've been able to do S-breaks so far was during the prologue when the final encounter ended after 3 of them.

Top Bottom