• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

I'm considering this doing this too, although I'm only a few hours in. If the 'orienteering' dungeon is representative of the (combat) difficulty (compared to your party's development and abilities) along the line, I can see it becoming lacking in challenge. On the other hand it's been a while since I played a party based RPG like this, so I might just continue on normal and 'go with it' like Sara suggested.

Also thanks for the tip about the circle button, I already replayed a few sections because I forgot to save.

A question for Vita players, what touchscreen functionality does this game actually have? The back of the box mentions it, but that's it as far as I've seen so far.

I've mentioned before that the early game on normal is stupidly easy, but it does get more difficult. Not actually difficult, but towards the midgame and definitely near the endgame it starts requiring some level of thought as to buffs/s-crafts/items/accessories/etc.

Do you guys have a list of things not to miss per chapter with this game? Like missable awesome quartz or accessories??

Do all the sidequests during the field studies and all of Towa's student council sidequests. Get every treasure chest, especially the trap ones that look like silver chests, as those have the best quartz/accessories in the game. Equipping the quartz you get pretty early that lets you see treasure chests on the map will definitely help with this.

There are some sidequests that are very easy to miss, but I'm replaying the game at the moment with a guide and none of the easily missable sidequests I've done so far have given me anything amazing.

Stuart444

Nord Highlands was cool the first time, but on my replay it was just kind of a slog.

Chapter 4 is when I really started to get super into the game though. Have fun!

Yeah, I can see how on a replay it could be a slog but from a first timer perspective, imo it's really cool <3

I also learned from that Chapter that we can dash when on foot as well. Didn't know about that til then XD.

Also I'm playing on Normal and I find it can be rather difficult myself. Some of the dmg output can be very hurtful. (I also hate having to rebuild my CP when one of my party members die).

Chapter 3 was probably the easiest one yet but it was also rather easy to level thanks to that big purple (or orange or whatever, I forget the colour but it's the only big big bird in the land) bird that appeared a lot. I didn't even grind, I just fought each one of them (along with each of the monster chests which give a decent chunk of exp) as I came across them. Jusis went up from level 19 to 29 by the end of the Chapter (he was the lowest level character due to earlier deaths, the others were between 20 and 22 I believe) which is the most amount of levels any of my characters have gone up in one Chapter so far.

I am also relying on S-breaks a lot (Impassion and Blessed Arrow helps with this. Blessed arrow for everyone else, Impassion on Alisa since she isn't affected by her own Arrows :( ) which helps with the higher HP enemies.
Stone Golem and that Spider at the end of Ch3.

Still I'm enjoying this game so much, time to start Chapter 4 now :D

Lusankya

Just started the EU version yesterday, loving it so far.

Does anyone know what the "(R)" in front of a quartz' ability means?
E.g. I have
Analyze
[Support - One - Analysis]

and Information
[(R) Analyze]

What's the difference between these two quartzes?

Cqef

Just started the EU version yesterday, loving it so far.

Does anyone know what the "(R)" in front of a quartz' ability means?
E.g. I have
Analyze
[Support - One - Analysis]

and Information
[(R) Analyze]

What's the difference between these two quartzes?

It stands for Rare.
You'll find another quartz labelled SR too, which is Super Rare.
They grant you stats boost in addition to their normal effects.

okay now that I got some sleep in me:

man the ending was something else gave me a little
WKC vibe with all the Azure knights

but really I don't know if this would've changed anything but I can't let two people off the hook

first
Emma; I found the lack of her admitting her backround a little troubleome(or at least irritating ) imo, she should've come clean of her origin in at least chp.6 and we still don't know where she comes from, and what her purpose is(other than guiding Rean to some destiny) and I find it so surprising that she was the ONLY one in class VII that never heard Misty voice on the radio, i mean it's Trista(let alone Erabonia's) probably most listened to radio station

and the the biggest being
Millium; how in the world do you forget the a potential learder or at least high ranking member in the Liberation Front might be at Thor's Academy!?!? I mean even after the events of chp.6 how can one go "Whelp that's that" no need to look
into who was in that crash. the fact that they found who was "Comrade-C" in a matter of minutes was a little LOL-worthy

I did have a suspicion
that Crow was the leader(well atleast the sniper at the end of chp6) of the Liberation front but damn did it still hurt he was so likable and was proably the best fighter after Laura and Rean, his status attacks were a nice addition to his quartz

the last dungeon was pretty challenging it basically had mini bosses as regular enemies near the end then the boss was basically
Legram Castle
2.0 but luckily I was prepared :) I and put this spoiler free when I say tackling the last dungeon boss: ELLIOT IS A FREAKIN MUST!!! his resounding beat the probably the GOAT craft in the game

the actual last battle was pretty dope
fighting Crow and his Knight was cool
really looking forward to how this is implemented in the next games

and then the ending....
Rean fleeing as his classmates fight of which was an impposible battle was sad. you would think they would die but seeing the boxart of the second one at least tells me that they make it, I'm assuming back up comes in time or Crow shows them mercy

I'm assuming whoever you chose at the
festival gives you their goodbye speech right before you flee

GAH!! I know we have an XSEED employer here on gaf and if you're readin this or the thread in general; you got me HOOKED!!! please hurry up the translation of the 2nd game!!! and I'm hopping both 1&2 do well enough to get three,(and Trails of Zero/Azure...though it might be to much for XSEED) I'd hate for us only to get 2/3 of the story

Trails of Cold Steel 2 just skyrocketed to my 2nd most anticipated game of 2016!!!

next post will be a fanfiction shipping!!! in part by
the festival

Stuart444

So just curious, is it bad that I haven't changed anyones Master Quartz? I have mainly stuck to their defaults and probably won't change them unless they reach their max level or something.

bomblord1

Banned
So just curious, is it bad that I haven't changed anyones Master Quartz? I have mainly stuck to their defaults and probably won't change them unless they reach their max level or something.

I only changed 1 or 2 Master Quartz in the entire game and that's just because I didn't think I could pass up the effect.

Thoraxes

Oh man, I changed almost everyone's Master Quartz around except for Elliot and Laura. Some of the other ones are really fun to use and add some nice new ways to approach combat.

Pretty sure my personal favorite is Criminal with Emma, and using an Insight quartz for the EP regen. She practically killed stuff way harder than Laura with the level 5 version.

zakujanai

Just started this game yesterday and reached the first field study area. Please don't force little miss Blondie on me. Please.

I really can't stand her so far, her arbitrary changes of mood make it impossible to get a sense of what she's about. Having said that, after 17 hours of play I'm still on the first field trip so plenty of time for her to grow I guess.

Don't really understand the complaints about the game, I thought I was going to have to try a lot harder to like it early on but I've been hooked from the start.

I stuck with most of the same ones. Rean, Laura, Fie, and Alisa in particular have amazing starter mqs

Xeteh

It isn't bad, if it is working for you then keep at it. You will find some really good master quartz though so if you see something that sounds interesting, level it up.

The thing that kept me switching MQs was finding out what perks would unlock, especially at lv 5. Kept things fresh and interesting for me.

nan0

My EU version just came in. I'm 2h in and am positive so far. Is there any way to have the texts auto-continue (as in, not press X after every sentence)?

Cqef

My EU version just came in. I'm 2h in and am positive so far. Is there any way to have the texts auto-continue (as in, not press X after every sentence)?

You only get this in the Evolution ports I think, which aren't made by Falcom.

Gu4n

Unfortunately, Falcom did not introduce this feature in their games until a patch for Tokyo Xanadu late last year. It's too bad it didn't get backported to the two Trails games on Vita (and PS3), which run on the same engine.

Stuart444

I just had some terrible luck.

I'm in Chapter 4 in
the underground area
and came across a monster that can use demonic scythe.

One use of it -> KO all 4 of my party members resulting in my first game over. According to the description, it's a 30% chance of KO.

Horrible luck.

Taruranto

first
Emma; I found the lack of her admitting her backround a little troubleome(or at least irritating ) imo, she should've come clean of her origin in at least chp.6 and we still don't know where she comes from, and what her purpose is(other than guiding Rean to some destiny) and I find it so surprising that she was the ONLY one in class VII that never heard Misty voice on the radio, i mean it's Trista(let alone Erabonia's) probably most listened to radio station

This reminds me, what happens if you (ENDING SPOILER)
bring Emma with you during the motorcycle ride? I assume Misty doesn't appear?

Did people really gives shit about the
Towa outfit
fan service in Chapter
? That's the tamest fucking fan service any video game has ever had.

Not really Chapter 6 Spoilers but whatever

Also Japan, your country has a rock and metal scene, stop dressing your girls in rock outfits and playing J Pop and saying it's rock music, it comes across so eye-rolling. Just once I'd like to see a school festival where they're like "We started a rock band! Hit it!" and then the music club breaks into Dark Horse by Converge and Towa just starts screaming.

That's neither here nor there tho. >____>

Abdiel

During a second playthrough
when Rean sees Vita's bird and she comes out of the shop, she panics a bit when he tells her about it. Then she runs off chasing it. After the scene where Rean talks to Vita and she goes into the shop, Emma comes back breathless and apologizes, but thinks to herself why would that bird be here. After they ride away, Vita comes out of the shop and comments on it being good that Celine wasn't there, and how Emma is still a baby in power, I believe was her phrasing, it's been around two weeks since I watched

I'm pretty sure that's the only little Easter egg for a second playthrough. Was neat. Especially after having seen that translation Tuesday of the star door and knowing she's the
Second Anguis
. Gah. I really need the next game

just tried it, appearently if you bring
Emma along when Rean steps outside and notices the blue bird it shocks Emma and she runs off to find it leaving Rean alone with Misty, once Misty enters the store Emma comes back, so again she never saw/heard Misty

Edit: beaten

Droplet

I never changed them my first playthrough, then on my second changed them for Jusis and Machias. Machias to Juggler (obviously), and I think Orochi for Jusis since I wasn't using his arts early enough in battles to justify an ATS boost at the start. I would use more, it's just hard to think of which quartz might be best with which character.

On topic, (final chapter)
what happens if you take Emma the first time? No scene with Misty at the end?

I never changed them my first playthrough, then on my second changed them for Jusis and Machias. Machias to Juggler (obviously), and I think Orochi for Jusis since I wasn't using his arts early enough in battles to justify an ATS boost at the start. I would use more, it's just hard to think of which quartz might be best with which character.

On topic, (final chapter)
what happens if you take Emma the first time? No scene with Misty at the end?

Post above you just answered lol

Stuart444

So Chapter 4 spoilers:
Just saw the scene where we find out more about Machias and his cousin. She took her own life ;_; I wasn't expecting that. So sad ;_;

Chapter 6 pictures

But :

Sharon ... IS
20160130133331.png
THE
BEST
MAID
20160130133418.png

i'd call her :
20160130133423.png
"Ultimate Maid Sharon"
20160130134446.png
Simply glorious.
20160130134449.png

Xeteh

So Chapter 4 spoilers:
Just saw the scene where we find out more about Machias and his cousin. She took her own life ;_; I wasn't expecting that. So sad ;_;

Yeah, they do a really good job on delivering why certain characters are the way they are.

Damn , chapter 6 final boss...

28 minutes , 4.8 bonus xp ... 1 retry .. you can't let your guard down ... what an intense boss fight ..

This game's magnificent .

And claire and sharon dialog at the end was superb...

Xeteh

Damn , chapter 6 final boss...

28 minutes , 4.8 bonus xp ... 1 retry .. you can't let your guard down ... what an intense boss fight ..

This game's magnificent .

And claire and sharon dialog at the end was superb...

Absolutely.

I spoiled myself about
Sharon's affiliation way early in the game so I expected this backstab from her... turns out she's super loyal and a total badass.
So awesome.

aravuus

Rean was (chapter 4)
found by his adoptive father as a 5-year old child in the nature
? Isn't this more or less exactly like
Joshua from
TiTS,
except for possibly the fact that Joshua was found in a battlefield
?

And
how are these people so convinced Rean is of common birth, if he was found abandoned alone somewhere
?

Elise seems fucking annoying btw.
After she was done being a frustratingly incoherent kid, doing the stupid fucking "i hate you" routine, the rest of the party suddenly appearing and going "YOU'VE GOT A DUTY TO TALK TO HER LOL YOU GON GET SLAPPED" made me roll my eyes, too. Fuck off.

zakujanai

So many minor text mistakes in chapter 2. Lots of extra words where the sentence has obviously been restructured and fragments of the old sentence structure remain. Best so far was something like "Does he realize even realize what I do around here?"

Having said that though, the overall quality of the dialogue is great. No other RPG makes me care about each and every minor NPC like Trails does.

zakujanai

Oh another amusing chapter 2 error I noticed was on the "A rose by any other name" quest. It said completed when I started it, and started once I'd completed it. Guess the text file just got swapped round there.

aravuus

I thought it was awesome. I'm a sucker for stuff like that

Nah, I like that kinda stuff too (used to watch a bunch of shounen shows when I was younger, and I still sometimes check out the newest One Piece episodes), it was just so unexpected. Certainly didn't think a Trails game would do something like this.

Also, what the fuck is everyone still blaming Rean for this bullshit for? Family is family?? Jesus christ. Fuck off Elise, and never come back

e: Also also it's pretty hilarious how more or less every single contribution Gaius still, even after chapter 3, gives to the conversations, is something about the goddamn wind. What a boring character.

Nah, I like that kinda stuff too (used to watch a bunch of shounen shows when I was younger, and I still sometimes check out the newest One Piece episodes), it was just so unexpected. Certainly didn't think a Trails game would do something like this.

It definitely does some things that are unexpected after coming from Trails in the Sky. You better prepare yourself for a lot more weirdness

And
how are these people so convinced Rean is of common birth, if he was found abandoned alone somewhere
?

That's because
if there is no evidence of him being of noble blood ..he's not..being noble is an achievement that need to be earned.( by birth or through your actions )

aravuus

That's because
if there is no evidence of him being of noble blood ..he's not..being noble is an achievement that need to be earned.( by birth or through your actions )

Harsh, but it makes sense. Class systems are terrible.

It definitely does some things that are unexpected after coming from Trails in the Sky. You better prepare yourself for a lot more weirdness

Well, I love me some Japanese weirdness in JRPGs, so bring it on, CS!

That's because

And even when [CS chapter 4/5 spoiler on one character]
you earn it. like how Osborne does, real stuck-up nobles look down on elevated commoners because muh pure bloodline!

you earn it. like how Osborne does, real stuck-up nobles look down on elevated commoners because muh pure bloodline!
Pretty much .. goes a long way to explain the underlying core problem within the country
Harsh, but it makes sense. Class systems are terrible.

Class systems are not terrible , there are needed in many ways.
Class systems are however flawed , like heavily flawed.

aravuus

Class systems are not terrible , there are needed in many ways.
Class systems are however flawed , like heavily flawed.

Eh, maybe. It's not like I spend any time of my day pondering the implications and pros and cons of a noble/commoner class system.

e: to be precise, I'm talking about the segregation between commoners and nobles. Class system is a pretty fucking expansive term to just call terrible like that.

I think I'm the only one who saw that and went "he's got the Dark Hadou!" He looks just like a color alt of Evil Ryu. Still hasn't Raging Demoned a fool yet though.

BTW: hold onto your ass if this is a ride for you. Woohoohoohoo!

Also, what the fuck is everyone still blaming Rean for this bullshit for? Family is family?? Jesus christ. Fuck off Elise, and never come back

e: Also also it's pretty hilarious how more or less every single contribution Gaius still, even after chapter 3, gives to the conversations, is something about the goddamn wind. What a boring character.

I choose to believe they only caught part of that conversation.

And yes, Elise sucks. :D

I also hope Gaius
gets some more face time in the two sequels; he desperately needs to exert his personality more as you get flashes in Ch. 5 and 7 but he's always a 5th wheel to the plot sadly.
I mean, the guy's got the coolest looking scraft in the game! He deserves more!

End game spoilers:
That's because he's a huge threat. He's speeding up the natural social process of the rich commoners (Irina) destabilizing the economical base that high nobility need to keep power that happened in real life and in-universe in neighboring lands and they fought back HARD. I can't wait for Rufus and Carl and the other moderate faces of their factions to move on their own power now that their political bosses are either dead or traitors.

The story doesn't go into too much detail about it, and the extensiveness of it almost makes us take it for granted, but I personally felt it was very easy to forget that Osborne was the one who established the railway systems of Erebonia, which means that the liberation of distance between regions in the large empire was only established "relatively" recently.

Before the railways, it's clear that the distance between the different regions of Erebonia meant that the best way to govern the country effectively, was well... the provincial government method, where the major nobles handled local politics of their respective regions. Osborne's railway system and the expansion of his influence by having central influences in provincial territories (via the RMP) is something that is relatively new to an empire that has long-rooted traditions of the traditional governance.

End game spoilers:
That's because he's a huge threat. He's speeding up the natural social process of the rich commoners (Irina) destabilizing the economical base that high nobility need to keep power that happened in real life and in-universe in neighboring lands and they fought back HARD. I can't wait for Rufus and Carl and the other moderate faces of their factions to move on their own power now that their political bosses are either dead or traitors.

I remember some random NPCs commenting on
Osborne's nobility and mocks him for being an elevated commoner.
I know that the big-shots
take him seriously, because he's a real threat.

Top Bottom