• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Dio

Banned
"And then a bunch of eventful stuff happened that strengthened our bonds and showed just how much we'd changed as people but I won't tell you about any of it because this 80 hour game respects your time"

Fuck you Rean. You shit.

Yeah, well, they meant to add it but it was cut for budget/time constraints.

The entire voiced thing was a Drama CD in the end:

http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.my/2014/04/sen-no-kiseki-drama-cd.html

Translation script for the Drama CD that comes with the limited edition of Sen no Kiseki:
The Drama CD takes place between Chapter 6 and the Epilogue of the game

The IFL ain't no slouch. C was pretty damn tough.

Cancel !! Cancel !! Cancel Again !

Oh no it's his turn , i have to destroy all those mines , ..pfiou it's done .... back to cancel everything ..

Let me put back my Buffs and everything will be al-- What he can buff himself ... oh no i have to cancel this one ASAP !! Where ELIOT ? I NEED TO heal

Kalor

My copy arrived today and I've been mostly enjoying it so far. I didn't realize how heavily the Crossbell games would be referenced though it's made me more curious what is going on in Ao/Zero.

adz2ka

Finally got this game today. Playing on Vita TV and it's passable (the upscaling that is, not the actual game)

Just got to the first save point. Am I close to the end?

StereoVsn

Almost done with Ch. 3 here. Still dislike a lot of characters (Alice, Juseus, Machias, etc...). They are just not clicking. MC is weak as well. On the plus side I really like the combat system here compared to TitS FC and SC.

wrowa

"And then a bunch of eventful stuff happened that strengthened our bonds and showed just how much we'd changed as people but I won't tell you about any of it because this 80 hour game respects your time"

Fuck you Rean. You shit.

I was actually glad it got skipped. At that point, I really didn't feel like the game needed even more stuff. Especially since (final chapter)
the final chapter is build around the school festival anyway

Almost done with Ch. 3 here. Still dislike a lot of characters (Alice, Juseus, Machias, etc...). They are just not clicking. MC is weak as well. On the plus side I really like the combat system here compared to TitS FC and SC.

It's great the battles are finally quite a bit faster (with skippable animations to boot), but I never quite got over the downgraded orbment system.

Nyoro SF

Well, for starters, it's Alisa, and Jusis. Every time you misspell their names I die a little inside. Even if Alisa was just a character I eyerolled at for nearly the whole game.

Also I can't post a Jusis counter screenshot while I'm at work fuuuuck

I wasn't aware any of that. That's awesome.

That's who I've been using to "explain" how damn good this series is to a couple of receptive friends (that and AWESOME MUSIC). It worked better than I'd hoped.

Oh no it's his turn , i have to destroy all those mines , ..pfiou it's done .... back to cancel everything ..

Let me put back my Buffs and everything will be al-- What he can buff himself ... oh no i have to cancel this one ASAP !! Where ELIOT ? I NEED TO heal

Machias'
scattergun with that long-term ailment MQ and alot of Freeze worked reeeeeeeeeeal well for me in that fight.

Literally exactly how the fight went for me. Was a lot of fun actually.

Droplet

This was the fight that taught me Crescent Mirror was a good way to get an enemy to knock down their own HP. That is, if you don't accidentally switch someone else in first.

Machias'
scattergun with that long-term ailment MQ and alot of Freeze worked reeeeeeeeeeal well for me in that fight.
Machias was busy speeding the party quick enough to be able to cancel everything while still dealing enough stuff to get by.

Literally exactly how the fight went for me. Was a lot of fun actually.

It was super fun .. it was also intense

This was the fight that taught me Crescent Mirror was a good way to get an enemy to knock down their own HP. That is, if you don't accidentally switch someone else in first.

Adamantine shield to erase the damage did exactly what i need.

StereoVsn

Well, for starters, it's Alisa, and Jusis. Every time you misspell their names I die a little inside. Even if Alisa was just a character I eyerolled at for nearly the whole game.

Also I can't post a Jusis counter screenshot while I'm at work fuuuuck

Normally I would care to post character names correctly, but in this particular case I pretty much fast forward/ignore these chars and will probably never bother to properly spell their names. Man, the downgrade in quality is quite harsh for both various characters and the MC coming from Trails in the Sky games. Oh, and lets not forget about instructor Sarah since we are talking about terrible chars in Trails.

For the orbment system, yes, could have been a bit more complex, but I'll take that considering the faster combat flow.

Abdiel

Normally I would care to post character names correctly, but in this particular case I pretty much fast forward/ignore these chars and will probably never bother to properly spell their names. Man, the downgrade in quality is quite harsh for both various characters and the MC coming from Trails in the Sky games. Oh, and lets not forget about instructor Sarah since we are talking about terrible chars in Trails.

For the orbment system, yes, could have been a bit more complex, but I'll take that considering the faster combat flow.

I can't get over how utterly wrong you are. It's kind of sad. I played through FC and SC with over 100 hours between the two, and your criticisms fall so flat in terms of your refusal to allow the cast to actually grow into themselves through the course of this game.

Not every single one of the characters is my favorite, but Alisa especially becomes more than what you're painting her into.

Sara ? Terrible ?

i don't even know what you're expecting to consider her that way ..maybe your expectations are too high ?

20160106215305.png

And what was wrong with alisa in chapter 3 again ? She did her job, you got insight on her troubles and saw perfectly why she is legitimatly troubled by what's going on in her familly .. those aren't just minor troubles especially when she has shown that she does listen to other and try to think by herself , once the prologue ended.

I honnestly suggest that you drop your expectations because that's the only thing that can preventing you from enjoying those characters.

Droplet

I don't know, maybe the game just isn't for you? I don't really know how any of the characters are worse than their Sky counterparts though, those characters were dripping with early 2000s anime tropes and it took most of them way longer to break out of them.

Nyoro SF

Alisa is good at being a superb exposition dumper to mr. self-insert and that's about it. I totally get those complaints. And even Sara is mostly just annoying up until Chapter 4.

But Jusis? Jusis "Blue-Eyes White Blondie" Albarea? The guy who in Chapter 2 not only defeated his shadow and unlocked his true self
comes up with Rean's plan first, by himself, and intended to see if through alone?
Damn son.

yea, you need very high tolerance to survive this script. there is some good stuff in all this bloat, but you need to arm yourself with lots of patience and tolerance first, otherwise it's game over. i'm glad this isn't my first trails game. i know they can do better than this.

jusis isn't that bad. he grew on me and by the end he was one my favorites. i think his quotes are funny too. alisa requires more time in the oven. didn't really like her. i don't know if sarah had this annoying voice in the original. she's good endgame.

Chapter 6

Tell me about it. Just redid that fight in nightmare and man it was tough.
By the end of the fight C is getting like nearly 3-4 turns in a row and I had no idea what to do at points. I barely scraped by on my third try and only because of Alisa's god tier MQ.

Also, forgot how good that exchange was between
Sharon and Claire at the end.

If you don't care for it by the end chapter 4, I'd recommend just dropping it at that point. It's where the plot actually starts to "get going," but it's pretty clear you're not enjoying yourself outside of the combat, so there's no need to push yourself to play it.

But regardless, I think there's a ton of stuff that CS1 does much better than FC, even though I agree with others here that FC's characters (the very few of them anyway) were stronger from the start.

It's great the battles are finally quite a bit faster (with skippable animations to boot), but I never quite got over the downgraded orbment system.

I wouldn't say downgraded, but it's definitely simplified. There's a ton of orbments to replace the replace the fact that orbment combinations are gone, but I actually prefer this as this way you have much more flexibility in the way you can build your character's skills/arts

Lusankya

I am only at the beginning of chapter 3, but now I like nearly all characters.
Alisa, Jusus and Machias were the most annoying in the beginning but not only did they change you also learned where they're coming from.

Minimal character spoilers up until chapter 3:
I agree Alisa's tsundere act with slapping Rean and ignoring him was almost unbearable but at least every single character including herself acknowledged the whole time that it was actually her own fault. But after they made up she is a normal character and her family situation is indeed something she shouldn't tell everyone immediately.

Machias' and Jusus' conflict is supposed to be annoying, at least all other characters are also annoyed by them. The class battle is a major part of the general world building in this game so it's good to have it in a small form among the party members.

Final Chapter major spoilers

Holy shit at if you bring Emma with you on the bike ride. Apparently Vita Clotilde and Emma are part of some clan. And her bird's name is Granios (though I don't remember if she says it's name during the end of the game). I don't know if you get this cutscene during the first playthrough because it kinda just spoils a pretty massive plot twist. All these damn CS2 teases are killing me.

Stuart444

I feel like the only one that likes all the main characters and have done for most of the game :(

Only characters I've really disliked have been some of the Noble NPCs (though (Chapter 2 spoilers):
The sudden change in attitude on the request guy was hilarious when they spotted Jusis lol
) Most of the other NPCs have been pretty cool as well.

The antags are the only main characters I don't care much for but we don't really know too much about them or their motivations yet tbf. (up to Chapter 6 now so unless that changes in this game...)

edit:

I am only at the beginning of chapter 3, but now I like nearly all characters.
Alisa, Jusus and Machias were the most annoying in the beginning but not only did they change you also learned where they're coming from.

I agree Alisa's tsundere act with slapping Rean and ignoring him was almost unbearable but at least every single character including herself acknowledged the whole time that it was actually her own fault. But after they made up she is a normal character and her family situation is indeed something she shouldn't tell everyone immediately.

Machias' and Jusus' conflict is supposed to be annoying, at least all other characters are also annoyed by them. The class battle is a major part of the general world building in this game so it's good to have it in a small form among the party members.

<3 pretty much. Hell the Alisa act might have been 'too anime' but unlike most anime, [spoilers]she apologizes[/spoilers] which is nice to see.

(spoiler tagged some stuff just to be on the safe side :) just being careful even though it's early game stuff )

Gu4n

Final Chapter major spoilers

Holy shit at if you bring Emma with you on the bike ride. Apparently Vita Clotilde and Emma are part of some clan. And her bird's name is Granios (though I don't remember if she says it's name during the end of the game). I don't know if you get this cutscene during the first playthrough because it kinda just spoils a pretty massive plot twist. All these damn CS2 teases are killing me.
In response to this final chapter spoiler:
She mentions Grianos' name just before Blueblanc appears by her side after setting the Plan in motion.

The dialogue at the boutique only changes in NG+.

I feel like the only one that likes all the main characters and have done for most of the game :(
You're not alone; I love Class VII to bits as well! o/

In response to this final chapter spoiler:
She mentions Grianos' name just before Blueblanc appears by her side after setting the Plan in motion.

The dialogue at the boutique only changes in NG+.

You're not alone; I love Class VII to bits as well! o/

Oh wow, guess that must've just slipped right by me then because I don't remember that.

And wow, that's a really cool little teaser to throw into the game for the NG+. They really didn't need to do that.

max_505

Using Machias as a debuffer equipped with status-inducing quartz (plus the Juggler master quartz, another status-inducing one) wrecks mobs. I love using him now.

Stuart444

Yay! (I know I'm not the only one, people are very rarely 'alone' in their opinions which is why I used the words "feel like" haha)

How long is the final chapter for people who have completed the game? I'm on Field Study Day 1 of Chapter 6 and wondering how long I have left pretty much. (I have a good idea of how long I'll be on Chapter 6 based on the last few Chapters and their field studies lol)

Yay! (I know I'm not the only one, people are very rarely 'alone' in their opinions which is why I used the words "feel like" haha)

How long is the final chapter for people who have completed the game? I'm on Field Study Day 1 of Chapter 6 and wondering how long I have left pretty much. (I have a good idea of how long I'll be on Chapter 6 based on the last few Chapters and their field studies lol)

Final Chapter is definitely by far the longest chapter. I'd say from where you are, maybe a solid 15 hours left give or take a few hours depending on how fast you're going through the story (like doing all the field study quests or not, getting recipes/fish/etc.)

Stuart444

Final Chapter is definitely by far the longest chapter. I'd say from where you are, maybe a solid 15 hours left give or take a few hours depending on how fast you're going through the story (like doing all the field study quests or not, getting recipes/fish/etc.)

Damn

I figured with no field study, it'd be the shortest outside of festival stuff.

Also getting recipes but not fish and stuff. Also getting all treasure I have come across. <3 Detection Quartz

Gu4n

Oh wow, guess that must've just slipped right by me then because I don't remember that.

And wow, that's a really cool little teaser to throw into the game for the NG+. They really didn't need to do that.
Oh, believe me: this one was subtle; the one you'll get in CS2 is as subtle as an Achtzehn.

Famassu

Some of the characters were annoying or a bit weaker at first, but after going through the game seeing everyone's bonding events (especially the final one) & growth throughout the game, they really do get much, much better by the end. Even people who were super-annoying whiners at first like Machias end up being pretty good & likable by the end (his final bonding event was probably one of the better ones, imho). And this is coming from someone who hated him so much through much of the first playthrough that I didn't use his character in combat at all and only watched the mandatory bonding events with him (that update his character note).

All in all, the weakest characters with any importance in this game are Gaius (he's likable, but so far is a bit boring & doesn't have much of a role past Chapter 3), Millium (even if she has a few good moments, characters like her can just go die in a fire -_-;) and Angelica. Angelica's character just goes too far without being the least bit funny/charming/good-with-words like other pervs like Olivier. She just constantly physically & verbally sexually harasses several (even underage) characters. She's too direct & handsy with that shit. The only slightly redeeming factor for her is (late game spoilers)
her standing up to her noble fuckwad of a father and the somewhat sad consequences it has for her.
Apart from that I can't come to like her even a little bit.

Stuart444

I meant to ask this earlier but does anyone who has played Blazblue feel like Jusis is similar to Jin Kisaragi.

Just in the way they act, not to mention the way he walks in the Opening reminds me of the way Jin walks in one of the BB openings.

Also he has
some ice moves he learns and Jin uses ice as well >.>

He just feels like the Jin of this game in some ways.

Which I guess would make Machias the Noel? XD. :p

max_505

@Famassu: B-but... I love Angelica. It's always nice to have a perv in the group (but not in real life), although I admit Olivier is the better, smoother one between the two.

So for shits and giggles I went back to the save before (Final Chapter Spoilers)
choosing your dance partner
and though I chose
Laura
the first time and really liked the interaction I think I might make my canon choice
Sara
because they handled it REALLY well. I think if you do that choice it actually feels realistic that
Rean crushes on her and she actually kinda likes him too, and the reveals as well as Rean telling her she's still young enough to enjoy her life were just nicely written (and surprising considering Japan's treatment off women like Sara)

Time to see the others. I bet
I still don't learn shit about Emma, you big jerk.

Nyoro SF

CS1 Tier List (Everything unlocked, full game spoilers, vs. bosses only, grouped not sorted):
Factor in teamwork just as much as individual strength
S+ Tier:
Laura, Emma
S Tier:
Rean, Jusis, Machias,
Angelika
S- Tier:
Fie, Sara
A+ Tier:
Gaius,
Crow
A Tier:
Alisa, Elliot,
Millium

Discuss

Stuart444

So a few questions.

1. What does weaken enemies (and retry) do? Take down their HP or all of their stats?

2. Does it affect difficulty related trophies? (or does it not come up if you get a game over on Hard/nightmare?)

Just curious since I've decided to use it on a certain last boss battle in Chapter 6
I do NOT want to face Vulcan again just to face C again so reloading isn't an option... >_<

finished Trails in the Sky SC last night
time to finally play this game

God damn you blasted through that. Enjoy CS!

CS1 Tier List (Everything unlocked, full game spoilers, vs. bosses only, grouped not sorted):
S+ Tier:
Laura, Emma
S Tier:
Rean, Jusis, Machias,
Angelika
S- Tier:
Fie, Sara
A+ Tier:
Gaius,
Crow
A Tier:
Alisa, Elliot,
Millium

Discuss

Do their initial MQ factor into this? If they do, Alisa is definitely S tier.

S+ Tier:
Laura, Emma
S Tier:
Rean, Jusis, Machias,
Angelika
S- Tier:
Fie, Sara
A+ Tier:
Gaius,
Crow
A Tier:
Alisa, Elliot,
Millium

Discuss

Is this assuming default Master Quartz?

So a few questions.

1. What does weaken enemies (and retry) do? Take down their HP or all of their stats?

2. Does it affect difficulty related trophies? (or does it not come up if you get a game over on Hard/nightmare?)

Just curious since I've decided to use it on a certain last boss battle in Chapter 6
I do NOT want to face Vulcan again just to face C again so reloading isn't an option... >_<

1. Basically

You don't have to fight Vulcan again. If you retry, you'll fight C again.

I'm not sure if it affects trophies, since I've never done it. There's no punishment for trophies for game overs though.

If you're talking purely gameplay based, if you gave me only Laura and Elliot VS the
fake last boss
with the right set up they could do it themselves. Seriously, they were my workhorses that fight, my other two just pitched in.

Stuart444

1. Basically

You don't have to fight Vulcan again. If you retry, you'll fight C again.

I'm not sure if it affects trophies, since I've never done it. There's no punishment for trophies for game overs though.

Yeah, I mean having to reload to fix up my arts and stuff since you don't get access to the menu when you retry :(

(I'm not too bothered about trophies this run through btw, it's just for future reference :) )

Yeah, I mean having to reload to fix up my arts and stuff since you don't get access to the menu when you retry :(

(I'm not too bothered about trophies this run through btw, it's just for future reference :) )

Good luck on the second run then.
I just redid the C fight on nightmare in NG+ and it was so much harder. It was a ton of fun though to get pushed that far.

Stuart444

Good luck on the second run then.
I just redid the C fight on nightmare in NG+ and it was so much harder. It was a ton of fun though to get pushed that far.

Probably 3rd run (for Nightmare) if I'm going for the platinum.

2nd will be cleaning up what I can, 3rd will be any leftovers + the difficulty related trophies.

Since you can assign Master Quartz to any character, assume that each character has their "most suited" MQ equipped.

Everyone character benefits from Angel MQ, so it's not particularly special to Alisa.

It's a bit hard to rank them at that point since "most suited" can range from person to person.

Like it's obvious that Laura/Rean/Emma are some of the bests regardless, but after that point it's almost up for grabs due to the flexible customization.

Probably 3rd run (for Nightmare) if I'm going for the platinum.

2nd will be cleaning up what I can, 3rd will be any leftovers + the difficulty related trophies.

It's totally possible to get the platinum on the second run unless you missed out on some character notes (like some chapters have 4 bonding points for 5 characters that'll update your character notes). I don't think I have the patience to run through it three times, but good luck to you then lol.

Top Bottom