• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

omgfloofy

Banned
2. has an electric shit-ton of knowledge base you'll need for later.

I want to quote this and add a quick anecdote to this about the 'knowledge base' bit...

Yotaka, and I have been playing this series since FC first came out in Japan in 2004. It wasn't until last year that we (and Guan) came across some tiny two line bit of NPC dialogue that is likely to be very very big to the lore of the series overall.

The two of us still can't believe that, as many times as we have both played FC, we never ever spotted this little bitty throw away line.

Not just FC, but each game in the Kiseki series is very much like this. There's a very quiet 'under the radar' influence of 3rd throughout Cold Steel and Cold Steel II. If you hadn't played 3rd, you won't see them... but I'd say that people who are familiar with that game would be willing to flip a table over having these things pointed out to them.

And that's only part of it.

Machias never redeems himself!
Aw, really? Goshdarnit Machias, I like your design the most! You're supposed to be the one!

In any case, I was browsing the game's DLC list and found a "Handy Accessories Pack". The description is pretty vague. Does anybody know what's actually in there? Are they cosmetic? Are they accessories I could find in the game itself?

Aw, really? Goshdarnit Machias, I like your design the most! You're supposed to be the one!

Machias is fine .starts stubborn and annoying and then get much better , MUCH BETTER

I can't help but enjoy the "shut up" from machias , when "noble command" is used , make me smile every time.

I want to quote this and add a quick anecdote to this about the 'knowledge base' bit...

Yotaka, and I have been playing this series since FC first came out in Japan in 2004. It wasn't until last year that we (and Guan) came across some tiny two line bit of NPC dialogue that is likely to be very very big to the lore of the series overall.

The two of us still can't believe that, as many times as we have both played FC, we never ever spotted this little bitty throw away line.

Not just FC, but each game in the Kiseki series is very much like this. There's a very quiet 'under the radar' influence of 3rd throughout Cold Steel and Cold Steel II. If you hadn't played 3rd, you won't see them... but I'd say that people who are familiar with that game would be willing to flip a table over having these things pointed out to them.

And that's only part of it.

Hnnngg, as if my thirst for 3rd/Zero/Ao wasn't bad enough already.

Thanks for working on those Translation Tuesday entries, btw. Great stuff, and perfectly timed for me since I'd finished SkySC and have moved onto CS1.

bobohoro

Final chapter not-really-spoilers-but-anyway:

The school festival sucks. So much fluff dialoge, so many framerate drops, so much of nothing happening. And still have to see everything, or else I'd miss the little easter eggs like meeting Anton again. Pacing overall really took a big dive in the last 2 and a half chapters, overall probably the weakest the series had to offer for me.
But I'm thorugh, I think, now starting the final dungeon.

Xord

Ending spoilers
OMGWTF wow.. It's really unrealistic that a boy of 20 is the leader of such a big evil organization and has acces to all this stuff. Also weird that nobody noticed that he was planning something ( minus Millium). The reformist dropped the ball to. They just let everything happen. And wow that Misty is a terrorist .

Famassu

Ending spoilers
OMGWTF wow.. It's really unrealistic that a boy of 20 is the leader of such a big evil organization and has acces to all this stuff. Also weird that nobody noticed that he was planning something ( minus Millium). The reformist dropped the ball to. They just let everything happen. And wow that Misty is a terrorist .
Pretty sure he has the backing of far bigger factions. Wouldn't be surprised if Ouroboros & the nobles are in cahoots with him & are backing him just to use him as a tool to further their own agendas.

And he's not necessarily evil per se. One man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist and all that.

nan0

As a native german speaker, I'm a bit indifferent to the localization. Some things sound like a rocky fan translation. "Abend Time"? "Kirsche's Cafe & Inn"? Come on, it doesn't even sound good as opposed to "Jaeger Corps" for example. They came up with plenty (decent) generic names for lots of other things...

Gu4n

As a native german speaker, I'm a bit indifferent to the localization. Some things sound like a rocky fan translation. "Abend Time"? "Kirsche's Cafe & Inn"? Come on, it doesn't even sound good as opposed to "Jaeger Corps" for example. They came up with plenty (decent) generic names for lots of other things...
Everything German in Kiseki -- those examples, Achtzehn, Gralsritter, et cetera -- was decided on as such by Falcom themselves. In addition, Erebonia is heavily inspired by the German empire of late 19th Century/early 20th Century, which is why there's more German in Cold Steel than any previous game in the series had.

nan0

Everything German in Kiseki -- those examples, Achtzehn, Gralsritter, et cetera -- was decided on as such by Falcom themselves. In addition, Erebonia is heavily inspired by the German empire of late 19th Century/early 20th Century, which is why there's more German in Cold Steel than any previous game in the series had.

I figured as much, still sounds a bit weird in some places.

Ending spoilers

Unrealistic ?
You're talking about a guy that has access to a giant robot, teaming up with people with plenty of money AND hatred about 1 guy in order to take him down ?
It's not like , even when he was acting as a student , he was considered as reliable and effective by ...EVERYONE really . Considering who was helping him AND why , i think it makes more sense than ever.

I'm not denying that the reformists didn't let their guard down too much , but you have to admit that C let a bunch of fakes lead all over the place to cover his tracks.
Also misty being a terrorist might not be exactly true. I'm convinced that while she helped , her true aim is elsewhere.

bobohoro

Yeah, most of the stuff is pretty okay and seems like they've done their research at least.
Except Kreuger.

I will probably finish this tonight.
This time for real.

Lusankya

Yeah, most of the stuff is pretty okay and seems like they've done their research at least.
Except Kreuger.

Yeah, this is weird. They even pronounce it as "Krüger/Krueger", but couldn't manage to avoid the wrong spelling. There is also "Aprikoze" instead of "Aprikose", but otherwise I think there were no mistakes. And overall I really like the German flair in Erebonia.

Yeah, this is weird. They even pronounce it as "Krüger/Krueger", but couldn't manage to avoid the wrong spelling. There is also "Aprikoze" instead of "Aprikose", but otherwise I think there were no mistakes. And overall I really like the German flair in Erebonia.
Yeah those are the two weird spellings I noticed as well. But I'll live with it :p

Psxphile

Worry not citizen, that word was simply liberated from its mediocre standing by eliminating the overtaxed S and replacing it with the epitome of American ingenuity and symbol of freedom, the "zee". Thus ensuring and justifying its presence among the sacred pantheon that is the 'loaned word' for generations to come.

You're welcome, world.

bobohoro

Finished.
I mean, I knew it ended on a cliffhanger, but that is an understatement.
Made me chuckle.

Overall it was, without a doubt, the weakest game in the series that I played. Especially the last two chapters were oddly paced, had some of the most out-of-place speeches (especially Rean went from slightly interesting good guy to rather annoying) and the gameplay become rather stale.

Nonetheless, I'm incredibly hyped for II. I like almost all characters, am interested in the going-ons of Erebonia after these events and there is lots of potential for improvement in technical performance, gameplay and animation/graphics to make a real standout-game. And from import impressions I gather that that's pretty much what we'll get later this year.

Finished.
I mean, I knew it ended on a cliffhanger, but that is an understatement.
Made me chuckle.

Overall it was, without a doubt, the weakest game in the series that I played. Especially the last two chapters were oddly paced, had some of the most out-of-place speeches (especially Rean went from slightly interesting good guy to rather annoying) and the gameplay become rather stale.

Nonetheless, I'm incredibly hyped for II. I like almost all characters, am interested in the going-ons of Erebonia after these events and there is lots of potential for improvement in technical performance, gameplay and animation/graphics to make a real standout-game. And from import impressions I gather that that's pretty much what we'll get later this year.

Looks like my feelings line up with a lot of people

Not sure why the writing took a dive in this game the way it did... Especially after all the previous entries

I'm not native German speaker, but I found the german words nice sounding and appropriate to the context.

I only noticed the Krüger/Krueger thing (damn Umlaut) and some character like Fie or Laura randomly answering "Ja".
Also loled at "Achtzehn".
Oh, Look our fancy new
mega-tank
, let´s just call it "eighteen"

Gu4n

I'm not native German speaker, but I found the german words nice sounding and appropriate to the context.

I only noticed the Krüger/Krueger thing (damn Umlaut) and some character like Fie or Laura randomly answering "Ja".
Oh, Look our fancy new
mega-tank
In case you missed it, the description of the Achtzehn model in the Reinforc Company entrance hall reads:
Its name, meaning '18,' is a nod to its 18 rege-thick armor.

Cqef

Oh, Look our fancy new
mega-tank

The name is explained though, in the Reinford Hall during chapter 6, if you check out the replica.

9gBnwP9.jpg

edit: friggin' ninja'd :'(

Damn, totally missed it. That actually makes sense. I feel stupid.

Btw now you mention the replicas. (TC question)
Is the ship in that hall, the one from TC prologue?
I though it was a different company who built it

Gu4n

Damn, totally missed it. That actually makes sense. I feel stupid.

Btw now you mention the replicas. (TC question)
Is the ship in that hall, the one from TC prologue?
I though it was a different company who built it
That's from The 3rd, alright. That very scene in The 3rd takes place in the airspace above the Kreuzen province, which was the first mention of that province by name.

Gu4n

Yeah what's up with this? Pretty sure it's only Fie who does it and it always seemed strange
There are only two characters in the series who do this: Fie and, from Zero/Ao no Kiseki,
Wazy Hemisphere
. I myself think this is a hint from Falcom that the two of them have grown up in the same area -- and Ao no Kiseki reveals where the latter is from.

bobohoro

Yeah what's up with this? Pretty sure it's only Fie who does it and it always seemed strange

Maybe it's her background. The only comparable thing I can think off from other media is many ex-military/security/other_organisation personell keeping their russian da instead of yes, even in original dubs or localisations.

And while I'm still recapitulating the game in my head: two central things that make Cold Steel weaker in its story telling are trying to position Rean as a player extension and the free time events diluting character development for the whole cast. It's nice and well to try to give the player more choice, but in a series that's relying heavily on a tight plot, continuity and character chemistry, it's a challenge to get both a flexible player avatar and central plot piece, as well as flexible party interactions while still mainting continuous relationships.
And Cold Steel fails at both in my eyes. A more traditional, rigid setup would have been far preferable.
It's also a shame that the focus on player choice will probably hinder a nice romantic subplot as well, since Estelle/Joshua was a pleasent surprise and I think they could have done an equally good job with this cast.

Shahed

And while I'm still recapitulating the game in my head: two central things that make Cold Steel weaker in its story telling are trying to position Rean as a player extension and the free time events diluting character development for the whole cast. It's nice and well to try to give the player more choice, but in a series that's relying heavily on a tight plot, continuity and character chemistry, it's a challenge to get both a flexible player avatar and central plot piece, as well as flexible party interactions while still mainting continuous relationships.
And Cold Steel fails at both in my eyes. A more traditional, rigid setup would have been far preferable.
It's also a shame that the focus on player choice will probably hinder a nice romantic subplot as well, since Estelle/Joshua was a pleasent surprise and I think they could have done an equally good job with this cast.

yeah I wasn't a fan of the bonding events. For a series that has an overarching narrative that flows from one game to the next I feel that the way they have optional but limited scenes harms their overall character and plot development, and the player choice may get in the way of properly structured character relationships since they will have to either disregard player choice or have something in place that won't be as substantial as it could have been

Maybe it's her background. The only comparable thing I can think off from other media is many ex-military/security/other_organisation personell keeping their russian da instead of yes, even in original dubs or localisations.

Yup agreed

Should have stuck to Trails DNA and doubled down on what makes the series beloved. I get what they were going for by aping some of the idea form other popular JRPGs....

But it clearly was a mistake... at least in my eyes it was

Thud

Yup agreed

Should have stuck to Trails DNA and doubled down on what makes the series beloved. I get what they were going for by aping some of the idea form other popular JRPGs....

But it clearly was a mistake... at least in my eyes it was

As developers they want to try new things as well.

Of course that doesn't always work out. If you don't try, you'll never know tho.

I'm wondering if CS III will be last trails game or if they will pursue a new arc. Either way they will try something I think.

Of course that doesn't always work out. If you don't try, you'll never know tho.

I'm wondering if CS III will be last trails game or if they will pursue a new arc. Either way they will try something I think.

CSII is only the 50-60% point of the Trails saga.

There's going to be at least another decade of Trails games.

Gu4n

Kondo said that Sen III would mark the 60-70% completion of the series and that the next arc would take place in Calvard, "although nothing is set in stone yet". omgfloofy and I have been speculating that after Calvard, the series will wrap up in Arteria (and Leman).

Kondo said that Sen III would mark the 60-70% completion of the series and that the next arc would take place in Calvard, "although nothing is set in stone yet". omgfloofy and I have been speculating that after Calvard, the series will wrap up in Arteria (and Leman).

You don't think we're going to get a North Ambria
dark and gritty
story arc?

Well ive been getting a lot of mixed messages from those who have played Sen 2

I still eagerly anticipate it but I am suspicious that the script can elevate it above the uneven performance of Sen 1

I still eagerly anticipate it but I am suspicious that the script can elevate it above the uneven performance of Sen 1

From here?

As far as I know, pretty much everyone who's played Sen II here puts it as being a way better experience than Sen I.

Gu4n

You don't think we're going to get a North Ambria
dark and gritty
story arc?
Unless the Incident was triggered by a Sept-Terrion after all, I don't see why the main series would stop by in North Ambria, the most underdeveloped country of the continent. If we don't get to visit it in Sen III, I think chances are slim we get to go there at all in the main series. Unless, of course, the local authorities establish their own S.S.S.
, the Salt Shoveling Section

I don't know what "I am suspicious that the script can elevate it above the uneven performance of Sen 1" means, but -- repeating myself -- Sen I is my least favourite Kiseki and Sen II my second-favourite. Take that as you will.

Unless the Incident was triggered by a Sept-Terrion after all, I don't see why the main series would stop by in North Ambria, the most underdeveloped country of the continent. If we don't get to visit it in Sen III, I think chances are slim we get to go there at all in the main series. Unless, of course, the local authorities establish their own S.S.S.
, the Salt Shoveling Section

I don't know what "I am suspicious that the script can elevate it above the uneven performance of Sen 1" means, but -- repeating myself -- Sen I is my least favourite Kiseki and Sen II my second-favourite. Take that as you will.

Thats quite a turn around so I cant wait to reflect on the game once I finish it and see where I fall

Just remembered, Sara does it too.
She says "Guten Tag" and calls Rean "Wunderkind" a couple of times.

Man, I really want to play Sen II. All this wait and speculation is gonna kill me.

Aters

From here?

As far as I know, pretty much everyone who's played Sen II here puts it as being a way better experience than Sen I.

Sen II has faster pase, and it's action packed. Gamers, including me, prefer this to the slow paced Sen I. We should give credit to Sen I's build-up though.
When it comes to the quality of writing or the development of characters, Sen II simply sucks. Chapter 2 is a nightmare.
The battle system is completely broken.
Sen I is disappointing but a good game nonetheless, Sen II is a bad game.

aravuus

Sen I is disappointing but a good game nonetheless, Sen II is a bad game.

That's a first, hope I won't feel the same. I was really disappointed in the first two Trails in the Sky games (3rd looks like it could be much, much better) so I really kind of want to not be disappointed in the Cold Steel arc lol

Peff

I wonder if they'll be forced to drop both the PS3 and Vita like a hot potato for Sen III. There's no real chance it'll come out before 2018, and even that would be a fairly quick turnaround. I could see a digital-only Vita version then, but the PS3... I dunno.

Damn

I was already 60/40 Love/Hate with Sen 1

At first a lot of people cam out and said Sen 2 is vastly superior but after reading some of the in depth criticisms is seems like its a better RPG mechanically but still has a lot of story/script/character development woes that plagued my experience in Sen 1

Ill still buy and play what should be another fantastic RPG.... but the story and characters have always been that awesome icing on the cake so far. Sen 1 really uhhh took me on some loops... some good and some bad.

Im going to withhold judgement till after I play it but some people have me a little wary right now

Nyoro SF

Damn

I was already 60/40 Love/Hate with Sen 1

At first a lot of people cam out and said Sen 2 is vastly superior but after reading some of the in depth criticisms is seems like its a better RPG mechanically but still has a lot of story/script/character development woes that plagued my experience in Sen 1

Ill still buy and play what should be another fantastic RPG.... but the story and characters have always been that awesome icing on the cake so far. Sen 1 really uhhh took me on some loops... some good and some bad.

Im going to withhold judgement till after I play it but some people have me a little wary right now

No need to worry.

After all, even Trails FC and SC have negative points to me. It didn't hold me back from enjoying the games.

There may be no such thing as a perfect RPG anyway so don't be too fussed. haha

I wonder if they'll be forced to drop both the PS3 and Vita like a hot potato for Sen III. There's no real chance it'll come out before 2018, and even that would be a fairly quick turnaround. I could see a digital-only Vita version then, but the PS3... I dunno.

The Vita is impossible to drop, it's Falcom's best performing platform. It's the PS3 / PS4 part that's the real question, but I don't see them ignoring PS4 in its full swing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Wow. So all told, we're looking at a... what, 12 game series or something?

This series is outrageously ambitious.

Top Bottom