• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Wow. So all told, we're looking at a... what, 12 game series or something?

This series is outrageously ambitious.

i'm not even sure we're done with Y's because with each new game it's a new "book" in the legend they adapt and i'm not even sure how many book there are in total.

The kiseki games might be something like that

omgfloofy

Banned
i'm not even sure we're done with Ys because with each new game it's a new "book" in the legend they adapt and i'm not even sure how many book there are in total.

Fixed that for you. ;D (There's no apostrophe in the name.)

...but in all seriousness, I was just in a discussion on this very topic, that there is a LOT of stuff setup that has yet to be fully 'handled' -- but that's best saved for the community thread.

Dio

Banned
i'm not even sure we're done with Y's because with each new game it's a new "book" in the legend they adapt and i'm not even sure how many book there are in total.

The kiseki games might be something like that

According to Celceta, Adol kept hundreds of diaries of his adventures IIRC, until his disappearance at 63.

Thud

Kondo said that Sen III would mark the 60-70% completion of the series and that the next arc would take place in Calvard, "although nothing is set in stone yet". omgfloofy and I have been speculating that after Calvard, the series will wrap up in Arteria (and Leman).

Calvard would make sense. Arteria is interesting.

Anyway things seems to be looking up for fans.

Ys franchise will be 30 years old next year, and Adol Christin will have aged 6 years from the first game (17yrs old as of Ys I&II) till the most recent game chronologically. (23yrs old as of Ys 7)

And chances are we'll revisit Kefin and maybe even another story arc of Adol at age 22 (post VIII, pre-VI), so Adol's gonna be around a good long while before we even hit the game where he's facing his mid-life crisis.

Just finished the game! Was trying to last night since I was in the school house and though that it would end. Once it was 5 and it showed no sign of ending soon afterwards, I figured I mind as well call it in. Good thing too considering it went on for a decent amount of time afterward.

All in all, I absolutely loved it. I loved most of the characters and the world was wonderful. Plot was mostly set up until about the last third of the final chapter where everything went to shit in the best way. In hindsight, I really should have seen the
crow = C
thing coming long before, but I did manage to figure it out before the cast at least...

Really leaves me wanting more and I can't wait until the second one comes stateside. I also just bought both of the Trails in the Sky games, so I'm excited to open those up(and maybe do a ng plus of cold steel at some point soon)

Also, I thought Gaius was a fun character until someone pointed out that nearly all his lines dealt with wind. I could never not notice it afterwards....(it really feels like 80 percent of his lines ^^;)

Just finished the game! Was trying to last night since I was in the school house and though that it would end. Once it was 5 and it showed no sign of ending soon afterwards, I figured I mind as well call it in. Good thing too considering it went on for a decent amount of time afterward.

All in all, I absolutely loved it. I loved most of the characters and the world was wonderful. Plot was mostly set up until about the last third of the final chapter where everything went to shit in the best way. In hindsight, I really should have seen the
crow = C
thing coming long before, but I did manage to figure it out before the cast at least...

Really leaves me wanting more and I can't wait until the second one comes stateside. I also just bought both of the Trails in the Sky games, so I'm excited to open those up(and maybe do a ng plus of cold steel at some point soon)

Also, I thought Gaius was a fun character until someone pointed out that nearly all his lines dealt with wind. I could never not notice it afterwards....(it really feels like 80 percent of his lines ^^;)

The best part about doing a NG+ playthrough is seeing how many little things you pick up on in particular and the one scene you can only unlock playing through a NG+ playthrough.

Massive spoilers for how to get it.

Take Emma with you on the bike ride to pick up the clothes for the concert.

The best part about doing a NG+ playthrough is seeing how many little things you pick up on in particular and the one scene you can only unlock playing through a NG+ playthrough.

Massive spoilers for how to get it.

Take Emma with you on the bike ride to pick up the clothes for the concert.

Wait, I did that the first play through. Is it different?

with her seeing the bird and stuff. It felt pretty important, and it's kind of cool that was missable ^^;

Miff

So it looks like Trails of Cold Steel II is available for preorder now. Sept 6, not sure if that's just a placeholder.

I'm a bit worried because I imported CS1 to the UK to get it a bit earlier, but for some reason they're not offering international shipping for CS2 (yet). Wonder if it's because rating is pending? I'm sure I'll find international shipping somewhere...

Famassu

So it looks like Trails of Cold Steel II is available for preorder now. Sept 6, not sure that's just a placeholder.

I'm a bit worried because I imported CS1 to the UK to get it a bit earlier, but for some reason they're not offering international shipping for CS2 (yet). Wonder if it's because rating is pending? I'm sure I'll find internal shipping somewhere...
Videogamesplus is good for importing to Europe. It's Canadian. Probably a bit cheaper than Amazon as well, what's with the Canadian dollar being weak atm. Really fast deliveries considering the distance. At least usually, Trails of Cold Steel was released so late in 2015 that it suffered from Christmas & New Year's shenanigans that slow down postal services to a crawl, at least in Finland. But usually you should get the games from them in about 1-1,5 weeks with the slowest shipping option or 2 at most. On the rare occasion it has taken more, but usually they are fairly quick.

No it's not? I got that scene on my first playthrough. Unless you means there's another one?
On the second playthrough, there's a bit more to the scene with Emma. Nothing too major, like a few lines more or something.

Asd202

So it looks like Trails of Cold Steel II is available for preorder now. Sept 6, not sure that's just a placeholder.

I'm a bit worried because I imported CS1 to the UK to get it a bit earlier, but for some reason they're not offering international shipping for CS2 (yet). Wonder if it's because rating is pending? I'm sure I'll find internal shipping somewhere...

That would be an okay date for me got about a month to finish this game before XV :p.

On the second playthrough, there's a bit more to the scene with Emma. Nothing too major, like a few lines more or something.

Ah cool, thanks. That means I feel obligated to do that scene with her again now ^^;

Any chance of us getting another LE, you think? I would love another limited edition to go with the first one, but I guess the first one was supposed to kind of be for both games...

Well considering XSeed announced it for Fall 2016, I don't think anyone should expect anything coming *before* the 21st of September :V
While the beginning of September is obviously still Summer officially, it's often considered Fall colloquially. Labor Day has passed and school is back in session.

zakujanai

While the beginning of September is obviously still Summer officially, it's often considered Fall colloquially. Labor Day has passed and school is back in session.

Is this not a reference to xseed's strict adherence to official season start and end dates? I recall FC being announced for "Winter 2013" by which they meant early 2014, and werent able to get it out until much later even than that.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but how do you think this game will be for someone that loved Persona 4 Golden, Dragon Quest V, and FF IV?

Basically a casual RPG fan?

Psxphile

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but how do you think this game will be for someone that loved Persona 4 Golden, Dragon Quest V, and FF IV?

Well, I love each of those games you cite and CS was quite enjoyable. I think you'll be fine.

Famassu

Ah cool, thanks. That means I feel obligated to do that scene with her again now ^^;

Any chance of us getting another LE, you think? I would love another limited edition to go with the first one, but I guess the first one was supposed to kind of be for both games...
I dunno, maybe, maybe not. I mean, the first game's LE is supposed to hold the second game & the artbook has art from both the first & second game, so it doesn't necessarily sound like they have another Limited Edition planned. I guess they could offer something with maybe a partial Musical Selections/Best of Sen no Kiseki OST and a map of Erebonia or something, but I'm not sure how they'd do it without making the first game's LE kind of pointless. Make CSII's LE box the kind that it doesn't feel like it's missing a piece even when you take out CSII & put it in the first game's LE box?

I dunno, maybe, maybe not. I mean, the first game's LE is supposed to hold the second game & the artbook has art from both the first & second game, so it doesn't necessarily sound like they have another Limited Edition planned. I guess they could offer something with maybe a partial Musical Selections/Best of Sen no Kiseki OST and a map of Erebonia or something, but I'm not sure how they'd do it without making the first game's LE kind of pointless. Make CSII's LE box the kind that it doesn't feel like it's missing a piece even when you take out CSII & put it in the first game's LE box?

I wouldn't be surprised if they do an OST selections for the CSII LE. Maybe a poster/map like in the TitS FC LE.

Kalor

I just finished the game and that cliffhanger is far worse than I was expecting it to be. At least we don't need to wait long for CSII.

With all three of these I've played, the only intricacy comes from the narrative (which is in this lovingly crafted need to know basis. Things almost always make sense.

zakujanai

Already have a PS3 LE and a Vita copy but I'm tempted to buy a digital PS3 now that it's on sale on PSN. This series is addictive and should come with a health warning.

Mudo

Does anyone know if part 2 keeps the same rigid structure with the calendar, field studies, etc or is it more traditional do what you want when you want? I like part 1 a LOT but nearing the end it did get a little old being in that exact same gameplay loop over and over and over. Day 1 regardless I am just curious.

A.E Suggs

Looks like my feelings line up with a lot of people

Not sure why the writing took a dive in this game the way it did... Especially after all the previous entries

I thought that because unlike the other entries this one was kinda catering to newer players and older players all in one. If that's the case its not to hard to understand why it did. From what I heard of 3rd I'm probably gonna like the story, but hate lots of other things about it.

shmoglish

Bought it yesterday for the nice price of 24,99 via psn. This will be my traingame (1,5 hours every day) for the next month/when I finished Cyber Sleuth. Played the first 30 mins this morning and like it so far.

Gu4n

Does anyone know if part 2 keeps the same rigid structure with the calendar, field studies, etc or is it more traditional do what you want when you want? I like part 1 a LOT but nearing the end it did get a little old being in that exact same gameplay loop over and over and over. Day 1 regardless I am just curious.
Heh, no. If anything, Cold Steel 2 has you beg for some kind of structure.

Famassu

Bought it yesterday for the nice price of 24,99 via psn. This will be my traingame (1,5 hours every day) for the next month/when I finished Cyber Sleuth. Played the first 30 mins this morning and like it so far.

You won't be through this game in a month with only 1,5 hours of playing everyday. Unless you add an hour here & there otherwise. :p

Thoraxes

Already have a PS3 LE and a Vita copy but I'm tempted to buy a digital PS3 now that it's on sale on PSN. This series is addictive and should come with a health warning.

I just decided that since I wanted to give them more money cause Trails is the best, i'd buy the DLC costumes.

Speaking of costumes... I understand that we could get some costumes during the second playthrough but are there any non-DLC costume available for the initial playthrough? What about attachments?

shmoglish

You won't be through this game in a month with only 1,5 hours of playing everyday. Unless you add an hour here & there otherwise. :p
Haha, well, I may add many hours here and there. Is the game that long (main story and some sidequests here and there)? As long as it's enough for one month I am fine. Need to last till strangers of the sword city releases here.

Famassu

Haha, well, I may add many hours here and there. Is the game that long (main story and some sidequests here and there)? As long as it's enough for one month I am fine. Need to last till strangers of the sword city releases here.
My first playthrough was ~80(+) hours, though I did go for a 100% playthrough (did all sidequests, got all character notes, found all treasure chests, fished all fish etc.). You can probably shave off 10-20 hours easily if you don't intend to do everything.

Psxphile

Speaking of costumes... I understand that we could get some costumes during the second playthrough but are there any non-DLC costume available for the initial playthrough? What about attachments?

In your first playthrough you have access to Thors Summer and Winter uniforms by Chapter 6 (also
Millieum's alternate costume after she joins Class VII
), and during the Final Chapter (or perhaps before?) you can trade U-Materials for accessories like Cat Ears from Micht's Pawn Shop.

I just want to step in here and say that this game completely overwhelmed me in terms of how much I enjoy it :D Originally I wanted to get it at launch but decided I wanted to save some money since I intended to playing Trails in the Sky FC and SC first.

Well I should note that I'm a huge JRPG and anime fan anyway and with the current sale of Cold Steel on the Vita I finally got it and planned to put in my backlog till I was finished with TiTS FC and SC and well that didn't went so well :p After it installed I said myself "I'll only take a quick peek" and four hours later I'm done with the prologue without noticing.

The first dungeon was mundane and the enemies no challenge (I play on Normal, in retrospect I should have picked Hard maybe :/ ) but the game is oozing charm and atmosphere! Like the story so far, the characters are pretty interesting in their interaction and the locations are interesting with the setting. I may play it before Trails in the Sky afterall, which wouldn't be bad from what I gathered, right?

The music and the battle-system are also great, it almost feels like a alternative version of Grandia's system and since Grandia 1 is one of my games of forever I was thrilled :D

Nyoro SF

There's no sale of Cold Steel on the Vita, I think you got hoodwinked, or you're pulling my leg...

Let me put it this way, you can play Steel before Sky, but:

1) The overall story significance of certain big villains, especially a really big villain later in the game will be totally lost on you (You'll just view it as a generic reveal)
2) You'll have no idea why it's a big deal to see a certain character in chapter 4 and why, well, pretty much everything he says in the game from there on out is extremely important (You'll think he's just some kind of random important character dropped on you)
3) Bracer dynamic presented to you in the game will be much more muted, you won't really understand why certain bracers and bracer systems are significant (certain characters and locations and missions reference them a lot).
4) Certain villains, despite their limited presence in the game as just cronies to the bad guys, will have pretty much no significance at all to you

So... feel free to do whatever you want to do, I'm no JRPG policeman. But if you have the luxury of starting off on the first games, I would stop riiiiiiight there and begin Sky FC.

Saphirax

There's no sale of Cold Steel on the Vita, I think you got hoodwinked, or you're pulling my leg...

1) The overall story significance of certain big villains, especially a really big villain later in the game will be totally lost on you (You'll just view it as a generic reveal)
2) You'll have no idea why it's a big deal to see a certain character in chapter 4 and why, well, pretty much everything he says in the game from there on out is extremely important (You'll think he's just some kind of random important character dropped on you)
3) Bracer dynamic presented to you in the game will be much more muted, you won't really understand why certain bracers and bracer systems are significant (certain characters and locations and missions reference them a lot).
4) Certain villains, despite their limited presence in the game as just cronies to the bad guys, will have pretty much no significance at all to you

So... feel free to do whatever you want to do, I'm no JRPG policeman. But if you have the luxury of starting off on the first games, I would stop riiiiiiight there and begin Sky FC.

It's on sale on the EU psn.

In your first playthrough you have access to Thors Summer and Winter uniforms by Chapter 6 (also
Millieum's alternate costume after she joins Class VII
), and during the Final Chapter (or perhaps before?) you can trade U-Materials for accessories like Cat Ears from Micht's Pawn Shop.
Aw, so not until near the end? That's a bit of a bummer. Thanks for the info!

Hmm alright you convinced me Nyoro I will start Sky FC right away! :eek:

But that brings me somewhat in a dilemma. I own Sky FC both on my Vita and Steam and I would like to play it on the Vita for the handheld experience but with TC not coming to the Vita that would seem like a waste. I don't suppose there is a way to extract the PSP save-game out of the Vita and load it into Steam in the end, is there? :(

It's on sale on the EU psn.

Leg considered un-pulled. No hoods were winked.

Yeah I had no intention to pull any legs or wrinkle any hoods! D: EU PSN has it for 24.99€ right now.

Hmm alright you convinced me Nyoro I will start Sky FC right away! :eek:

But that brings me somewhat in a dilemma. I own Sky FC both on my Vita and Steam and I would like to play it on the Vita for the handheld experience but with TC not coming to the Vita that would seem like a waste. I don't suppose there is a way to extract the PSP save-game out of the Vita and load it into Steam in the end, is there? :(
Well know that the FC version of PC has a better translation and that SC also gets patches with improves any typos/translation errors which cannot be corrected on the PSP versions.

Well know that the FC version of PC has a better translation and that SC also gets patches with improves any typos/translation errors which cannot be corrected on the PSP versions.

Hmm okay thanks :) I already started the PC version now anyway. Since I do not own SC at this point, can I safely play Cold Steel after FC or should I go for SC first too?

Famassu

Hmm okay thanks :) I already started the PC version now anyway. Since I do not own SC at this point, can I safely play Cold Steel after FC or should I go for SC first too?
FC ends at a pretty big cliffhanger and SC continues from it the morning after FC ends. You won't want to play anything else when you can continue the story from that point.

Also, these games aren't like some Mass Effects that have (somewhat superficial) consequences that are carried over from one game to another. You get some sepith/quartz and there are some NPCs in SC that will have a comment like "thanks for helping me the last time" if you did their sidequest in FC, otherwise it's not some choice & consequence kind of thing where you choose stuff and then those will alter how the sequels play out.

You can just download someone else's SC save file for Third on PC, nothing lost if you play the first two on Vita/PSP.

Shahed

About Nyoro's post that convinced you to to play FC first. Pretty much all of that is SC and FC has little bearing bar the Bracer stuff. The overarching story and references about villains and more? All about SC

If you're plan was to maybe play FC and then go back to Cold Steel, you may as well just play Cold Steel now. SC is the important one.

Top Bottom