• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Erheller

I couldn't stand FC on PSP (mostly because of the loading times when going in/out buildings and areas), but I absolutely loved it on PC.

Thud

I couldn't stand FC on PSP (mostly because of the loading times when going in/out buildings and areas), but I absolutely loved it on PC.

Playing on PC also helped of course.

Anyway I haven't bought Cold Steel yet. Which version does GAF prefer? I own both PS3 and Vita.

A.E Suggs

You kidding me?

I was beyond hooked the minute you meet Olivier

Oliver was the saving grace. But the story was still boring at that point and I hated the combat in the first game(which I don't really take points away from since its the first game) but that got improved in the second. SC is the goat from beginning to end for me, but FC I only basically liked the end and some pieces in the middle here and there. I'd go in more depth about why I don't really like FC, but I'm not really fond of posting spoilers since this isn't the FC board.

Playing on PC also helped of course.

Anyway I haven't bought Cold Steel yet. Which version does GAF prefer? I own both PS3 and Vita.
Depends. I have bought because of cross-save. The ps3 graphics are a little better and they don't have that weird blurring effect that happens on the vita in some places. Load times about the same, pretty bad on both imo.

joe2187

Banned
Im always flat broke in this game, besides getting all the sepith mass. How do I fucking make some mira in this game? Im always broke and can barely afford a damn thing.

Im always flat broke in this game, besides getting all the sepith mass. How do I fucking make some mira in this game? Im always broke and can barely afford a damn thing.

One way is through cooking. Use Eliot to make Simple Omelet with him. 60 mira for each produced for the ingredients, and he has a high chance of making Warm Egg Soup which sells for a net profit. RNG being what it is, cooking up 99 of them (you can do it all in one go) makes around 1500-2000 profit and it's basically infinite money. Only good on chapters where you have him, though.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

You can also save a lot of money by only upgrading Rean. All the other characters receive auto upgrades to their equipment from time to time.

Xeteh

Money is kind of garbage in your first playthrough. I basically just upgraded Rean's gear and let the AI do the rest between missions.

zakujanai

Been replaying Cold Steel on NIghtmare to finish up on trophies. Currently in Chapter 5: going through
Lohengrin Castle and it only just struck me (cuz I forgot) that there's another mysterious door like the one in the Old Schoolhouse inside. Is there another Knight sleeping within the castle? Is that what Celine and Emma were talking about, hoping that Laura "would notice"?

Can't believe I didn't make the connection before.

This was the first thing I thought as soon as I discovered
The Ashen Knight.
Guess we'll find out in CS2. Did also wonder if it might be
a weapon for the knight to use, since it doesn't have one.

Famassu

Just make sure melee characters like Rean & Laura have the best weapons. No need to give better weapons to characters who are better at casting spells or supporting your damage dealers. Occasionally upgrade other equipment if you feel like enemies are a bit too efficient in diminishing your characters' HP.

Also, if you are just a few hundred mira short of something you want, consider selling some elemental sepiths that you have abundance of, especially after you've unlocked all quartz slots. You don't really have to buy all that much quartz in this game since you get some pretty awesome quartz from treasure chests & as quest rewards. If you use some quartz on more than 1-2 characters, you might have to buy an extra Attack 4 or Action 2 or two, but otherwise there's rarely need to buy quartz.

And don't be afraid of selling redundant quartz or other quartz that you don't see yourself using due to your playstyle or stuff you have better versions of. I'd say never sell the best versions of Attack, Defense, Mind, Cast/Action, quartz that give you speed de/buff spells or quartz that gives your attacks a possibility for debuff/status ailments (Freeze & Burn inflicting ones are especially good). Some spells are completely useless once you start finding quartz that give you several spells at once and start getting levels to your spellcaster Master Quartzes that give you some elements' best spells without the need to waste quartz slots on them otherwise.

bobohoro

Quick question: How long is the final chapter if I'm doing every sidequest, getting most NPC-dialouge?

I'm probably gonna finish up this game tomorrow, but need some estimate so I can set aside enough time for it.

Xeteh

Quick question: How long is the final chapter if I'm doing every sidequest, getting most NPC-dialouge?

I'm probably gonna finish up this game tomorrow, but need some estimate so I can set aside enough time for it.

It is decently long, sorry I don't really have a time estimate for you. I'd set aside several hours though.

Famassu

Many, MANY hours. There's
a lengthy 3-part/"floor" dungeon that has tons of branching paths
that alone can take several hours if you
want to get every treasure chest & don't skip too many battles
. Prior to that there's the
school festival & setting it up both of which have tons of new NPC talk & some side quests & other things to see
and can also take hours and after it there's still quite a lot of story left to experience. I don't think I'm lying if I say it can easily be around 10-15 hours for the final chapter, depending on how efficiently you manage to do everything without wandering around aimlessly too much.

Shahed

Several hours for the last dungeon? Really? I think I got all items and fought all enemies at least once and I did it well within an hour. It's longer than everything else but not that long

>Not spending all your mira and sepith on Laura to try to crack out her attack power as high as possible

m8s.....
Yeah I got the Weapons for at Rean and Laura straight away. If Laura wasn't there I got someone else's weapon as well such as Fie or whoever. Never bothered with armour. Money was tight but it was never really had a problem. At least until Chapter 4 and when j wanted tk buy some Evergreens and Passionate Rouge.

Thankfully you have Elliot with you there so I used the Simple Omelet recipe trick while I listened to a football match. But the time it was half time I suddenly realised I did it for too long and had more than enough money to buy everything I wanted for the rest of the game

Diablos54

So I just finished the game after 82 hours. I really shouldn't have watched the opening for II, now I'm in full hype mode with a vague 2016 release date damn it :(

Famassu

Several hours for the last dungeon? Really? I think I got all items and fought all enemies at least once and I did it well within an hour. It's longer than everything else but not that long
eeeh, I have a very hard time imagining anyone running through it in less than an hour unless you skipped a lot of battles or had gone completely overboard with Laura's OPness (at least I personally tried to avoid making her way too OP on my first playthrough, just to maintain some challenge for tougher enemies/bosses in the first time). There are so many battles all in all that those alone will probably take more than hour combined with how many big bawdazz enemies there are that can take 2-5 minutes to win (especially when there are several of them in a row, so even spamming S-crafts isn't necessarily possible). I'm fairly certain it took me at least 2-3 hours and I used a guide because I just wanted to be done with it.

So I just finished the game after 82 hours. I really shouldn't have watched the opening for II, now I'm in full hype mode with a vague 2016 release date damn it :(
Well, they should be starting the recordings of the voice acting for II in the next week or two or three. It's getting closer, not too long anymore!
(though even a day is too long)

zakujanai

Just realised something about the final chapter music.
When the last festival song came on
I was blown away by how awesome it was but couldn't explain why it sounded familiar and I seemed to have such an instant emotional connection to it. Turns out it was
the ending song from SC (>&#65103;<)
. Guess that's what happens when you play these games back to back

Shahed

eeeh, I have a very hard time imagining anyone running through it in less than an hour unless you skipped a lot of battles or had gone completely overboard with Laura's OPness (at least I personally tried to avoid making her way too OP on my first playthrough, just to maintain some challenge for tougher enemies/bosses in the first time). There are so many battles all in all that those alone will probably take more than hour combined with how many big bawdazz enemies there are that can take 2-5 minutes to win (especially when there are several of them in a row, so even spamming S-crafts isn't necessarily possible). I'm fairly certain it took me at least 2-3 hours and I used a guide because I just wanted to be done with it.

Well, they should be starting the recordings of the voice acting for II in the next week or two or three. It's getting closer, not too long anymore!
(though even a day is too long)

I did skip enemies, but only the second time around like I do everywhere else. I'll fight each enemy once, but if I come across the same enemy again (not enemy type. As in the same enemy in a particular location on a field) I'll run past them next time around. I did go overboard with Laura and Rean though. As much Str as possible combined with Domination and Megalith/Force and then Brilliant Spin/Gale/S-Break to victory in 1 or 2 turns for mobs, and then Vermillion/Orochi/Murakumo for bosses.

Yeah I made the same mistake lol

That trailer shows WAY too much

I've resisted the urge to watch any trailers so far thankfully. What I did do was come across the
outfits for the cast
in the next game. So much better than what we got in this game and I like quite a few of them. Also
said outfits
confirm there is no more
school setting!
So that's a massive plus and I can already imagine
exploring and going to different areas in Erebonia without feeling as shackled as I did
. I really want the next game now

I did skip enemies, but only the second time around like I do everywhere else. I'll fight each enemy once, but if I come across the same enemy again (not enemy type. As in the same enemy in a particular location on a field) I'll run past them next time around. I did go overboard with Laura and Rean though. As much Str as possible combined with Domination and Megalith/Force and then Brilliant Spin/Gale/S-Break to victory in 1 or 2 turns for mobs, and then Vermillion/Orochi/Murakumo for bosses.

I've resisted the urge to watch any trailers so far thankfully. What I did do was come across
the outfits for the cast in the nest game. So much better than what we got in this game and I like quite a few of them. Also said outfits also confirm there is no more school setting! So that's a massive plus and I can already imagine exploring and going to different areas in Erebonia without feeling as shackled as I did.
I really want the next game now

Dude agreed!! And Way overdue!

So tired of looking at the Uniforms. They dropped the ball in the first game

Nyoro SF

Thing is they're not just slightly better. They're monumentally better. Even people like
Claire

They also fixed the running animations, and the clothes and hair bob while running properly.

No more groundsurfing from Rean and company. RIP forward moonwalking Elise, you will be missed.

They also fixed the running animations, and the clothes and hair bob while running properly.

No more groundsurfing from Rean and company. RIP forward moonwalking Elise, you will be missed.

NICE

I was hoping for better animations. That will be great even if some of the other things will be underwhelming :/

You guys are getting me too excited for CS2 ._.

At this point I want CS2's release date more than I actually want most of the games coming out this year lol.

bobohoro

It is decently long, sorry I don't really have a time estimate for you. I'd set aside several hours though.

Thanks!
Since some things came up, I need to split my finale into two gaming sessions anyway. I'm playing similary to Shahed as well, so I think I'll manage to get it done.

Will be back with impressions soon. And probably lots of anticipation frustrations.

Baliis

Even just watching a trailer for Sen 2 you can tell the animations are way better. Super hyped for it.

omgfloofy

Banned
On top of the animations in Sen II/CS2, Kondo's also promised that the visuals have been upgraded considerably for the upcoming Sen III, as well. We just haven't seen it directly yet.

Shahed

Has anyone found the endings on Youtube? First playthrough I
chose Laura and seen here end. I don't mean the dance event but the little scene when Rean escapes in Valimar. I liked Laura's scene well enough. Touching without being over extravagant. Second playthrough I chose Sara but considering the situation it's understandable she doesn't appear. I found endings for Machias and Fie and despite not really liking them all that much I was surprised to see I liked theirs as well. I'd like to see the ones for all the cast but I'd rather watch it then go through the entire ending again especially since my only saves are Nightmare and not everyone is unlocked.
Anyone found the rest because unless I'm blind I only saw a couple.

On top of the animations in Sen II/CS2, Kondo's also promised that the visuals have been upgraded considerably for the upcoming Sen III, as well. We just haven't seen it directly yet.

Well yeah. Visuals have to be better since instead of Vita I'll be playing this one on PS4 :p

omgfloofy

Banned
Well yeah. Visuals have to be better since instead of Vita I'll be playing this one on PS4 :p

We have no evidence that it'll be on PS4 yet, and Kondo's stated that he doesn't like the idea of players having to jump systems for games between the story arcs.

I want it on PS4, too, but I don't want to jump the gun on excitement there yet. That only sets up for potential disappointment in the future.

Shahed

We have no evidence that it'll be on PS4 yet, and Kondo's stated that he doesn't like the idea of players having to jump systems for games between the story arcs.

I want it on PS4, too, but I don't want to jump the gun on excitement there yet. That only sets up for potential disappointment in the future.
That post was more in jest than anything else. While graphics may improve as they say I'm not expecting anything amazing or PS3 quality let alone PS4 for obvious budget reasons. The 3rd game will be on Vita no doubt. Probably PS3 as well. I'm just hoping they add a PS4 on top.

The load times weren't ideal in the first game and performance got quite bad in busier areas like festival and the bigger cities like Heimdall. Well on Vita anyway, and I'm more concerned about those than the graphics.

StereoVsn

PS4 is a must if they want to sell the 3rd game in the West. Late 2017 or even early 2018 game in the West on Vita/PS3 is going to sell dozens I tell you, dozens. Mind you, late 2016/early 2017 PS3/Vita game isn't going to sell that much either.

Famassu

Hasn't Falcom been pretty clear with their intent to start pushing out PS4 games going on forward? Sen no Kiseki III might be a Vita/PS3/PS4 game if developing for three platforms simultaneously doesn't spread them too thin & if they really want to make sure that people who've started Trails of Cold Steel on Vita or PS3 can finish it on Vita or PS3. But it'd be kinda crazy not to make a PS4 version when they've claimed the things they have (will to move on to PS4 ASAP, aim to make their games bigger outside Japan/in the west).

Dunno, a Vita & PS3 only Sen no Kiseki III sound a bit weird, though Vita + PS3 + PS4 sounds a bit ambitious for a small dev like Falcom. Vita + PS4 only sounds like it could happen if they think console fans don't mind buying a new console for the conclusion of Sen.

arvz

Neo Member
Well Trails of Cold Steel (and presumably Trails of Cold Steel II) were made in Sony's PhyreEngine, so it shouldn't be too much of a leap for Falcom to release their future games on PS4.

I also expect Trails of Cold Steel I and II to be ported to PS4 as Sen no Kiseki Evolution, as they have been updating their older Trails games with updated graphics (Trails in the Sky FC and SC Evolution)

Acrylic7

Hmm.
Iv been hearing good things about this game but it does look unbearably boring from a distance. Iv also looked at the first hour or so on youtube and the production values seem to hurt the presentation; kind of reminds me of Tales of Xillia in that aspect. But Iv heard about this from numerous sources like RPGFan podcast and other places.

Seeing this thread with so many posts makes me want to jump in -_- On the other hand Iv been burned by Gaf hype before. After seeing the GearsUE issues I think I should give this a try.

Shahed

The only other one I've found is (this is the whole ending so obviously don't click unless you've completed the game once):

Alisa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IuGki8uZh8 (around 55 minutes in)

I now wish I recorded the Millium and Emma ones which I got but oh well. :/

Thanks. I would have been careful keeping a save but I kinda assumed someone would upload the rest like for most games. I guess I'll give it sometime.

Thanks!
Since some things came up, I need to split my finale into two gaming sessions anyway. I'm playing similary to Shahed as well, so I think I'll manage to get it done.

Will be back with impressions soon. And probably lots of anticipation frustrations.
I missed this before and I might be a bit late now. But when I said within an hour, I onky meant the dungeon itself. If you add all the cutscenes and other random stuff, i'd definitely try and set aside at least 2-3 hours. I didn't and found I couldn't let myself stop there, and ended up trying (and failing after that end) to go to sleep at 3am.

Gu4n

Hmm.
Iv been hearing good things about this game but it does look unbearably boring from a distance. Iv also looked at the first hour or so on youtube and the production values seem to hurt the presentation; kind of reminds me of Tales of Xillia in that aspect. But Iv heard about this from numerous sources like RPGFan podcast and other places.

Seeing this thread with so many posts makes me want to jump in -_- On the other hand Iv been burned by Gaf hype before. After seeing the GearsUE issues I think I should give this a try.
The only thing this game (well, series) burnt for me is interest in other series that are (remotely) similar. With a promising year of a long awaited Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest XI, Persona 5 and a new Pokémon gen, the one game I want more than anything else is the new Trails game.

Thud

Hmm.

Read the OP and know that it is a slow burn RPG.

Shahed

The only thing this game (well, series) burnt for me is interest in other series that are (remotely) similar. With a promising year of a long awaited Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest XI, Persona 5 and a new Pokémon gen, the one game I want more than anything else is the new Trails game.
This is actually kind of true of myself. I enjoyed Trails a few months ago, ut I didn't think it was all that. But then I replayed FC when SC launched, and then played SC and Cold Steel all in the short span. All of a sudden I'm really into the series as a whole and think about it regularly. I think I'll continue to do so until we get a Cold Steel II release date and then I'll finally relax.

And while I haven't thought about FFXV, Persona 5 and all those other RPG's anywhere near as much as before I got into Trails, those games being a singular experience means they'll be fine. A lot of the anticipation for Cold Steel II is because of the cliffhanger. Yes it's a good game and people will want the sequel due to that. But if it was just a good game people would look forward to the next game in a more normal manner. The cliffhanger and the suspense makes people more eager than they would normally be.

Thoraxes

That where i'm at right now too, haha.

I was all excited for all these other games before, but now the only thing that has a presence in my waking thoughts is the wait and my insatiable thirst for Cold Steel II.

I had so much fun playing through FC, SC, and Cold Steel back-to-back-to-back over the course of one and a half months that it's actually difficult for me to get into other games right now without just wanting to go back and play through those three games again instead.
Has anyone found the endings on Youtube? First playthrough I
chose Laura and seen here end. I don't mean the dance event but the little scene when Rean escapes in Valimar. I liked Laura's scene well enough. Touching without being over extravagant. Second playthrough I chose Sara but considering the situation it's understandable she doesn't appear. I found endings for Machias and Fie and despite not really liking them all that much I was surprised to see I liked theirs as well. I'd like to see the ones for all the cast but I'd rather watch it then go through the entire ending again especially since my only saves are Nightmare and not everyone is unlocked.
Anyone found the rest because unless I'm blind I only saw a couple.

Is this a thing people want?
All the festival scenes and ending scenes?

Across three saves that I have, I have
all the choices for the dance/ending scenes available.
I can record PS3 footage too.
I can just make a compilation video with all of them in it. It'd probably take me a week or so to actually go through it all, but it's something I can readily do pretty easily. It seems like enough people mention it here anyways that would merit me doing it.

Shahed

I was all excited for all these other games before, but now the only thing that has a presence in my waking thoughts is the wait and my insatiable thirst for Cold Steel II.

I had so much fun playing through FC, SC, and Cold Steel back-to-back-to-back over the course of one and a half months that it's actually difficult for me to get into other games right now without just wanting to go back and play through those three games again instead.

Is this a thing people want?
All the festival scenes and ending scenes?

Across three saves that I have, I have
all the choices for the dance scene available.
I can record PS3 footage too.
I can just make a compilation video with all of them in it. It'd probably take me a week or so to actually go through it all, but it's something I can readily do pretty easily. It seems like enough people mention it here anyways that would merit me doing it.

Just the
end scenes. I've seen all the festival dance scenes and I'm pretty sure those are already on YouTube. The one with a specific character before Rean flies off. I've only seen Laura's, and watched Machias, Fie and Alisa on YouTube. While I would appreciate if you can upload the rest, I wouldn't really want or expect you to go through the effort since I couldn't be bothered myself.

Thoraxes

Just the
end scenes. I've seen all the festival dance scenes and I'm pretty sure those are already on YouTube. The one with a specific character before Rean flies off. I've only seen Laura's, and watched Machias, Fie and Alisa on YouTube. While I would appreciate if you can upload the rest, I wouldn't really want or expect you to go through the effort since I couldn't be bothered myself.

It shouldn't be much of a problem. It'll just take me a little bit because I work full-time, but i'll start on it this weekend. The longest part is going to be the three people I have to get on my nightmare run save lol

Same here. I've been apathetic about FFXV for a long time now and DQXI is pretty much a mystery. I'm kind of excited for P5, but nothing comes close to Cold Steel II. Nothing.

Finished this the other night and that ending!
fully expected a happy ending where they fight off crow and next game is the same as 1 but field studies are designed to stop crow. But rean losing and fleeing was a great moment. Especially how it was set up all game how he would do anything for them. But for them to hold off crow as he escape was great, especially him screaming to stay. Guess the next one ditches the school setting so looking forward to exploring properly

Cannot wait for 2

Shahed

Same here. I've been apathetic about FFXV for a long time now and DQXI is pretty much a mystery. I'm kind of excited for P5, but nothing comes close to Cold Steel II. Nothing.
Depending on how Cold Steel II ends, we'll be the same for Cold Steel III. Except this time the wait will be even longer. Part of me still thinks I should have waited till the 2nd game came out before I played this. The anticipation and wait will kill me.

Depending on how Cold Steel II ends, we'll be the same for Cold Steel III. Except this time the wait will be even longer. Part of me still thinks I should have waited till the 2nd game came out before I played this. The anticipation and wait will kill me.

I don't mind the wait, it will only make actually playing it so much better. It always feels a bit like you're meeting friends you haven't seen for a while and it really enhances the experience for me :) As long as the localizations are confirmed and aren't stuck in limbo, I'm happy with it. And I 100% believe we'll get Cold Steel III

I don't mind the wait, it will only make actually playing it so much better. It always feels a bit like you're meeting friends you haven't seen for a while and it really enhances the experience for me :) As long as the localizations are confirmed and aren't stuck in limbo, I'm happy with it. And I 100% believe we'll get Cold Steel III

Being on PS4 will help

Stuart444

I wish I had waited now honestly but I had no idea I'd have loved the game as much as I did let alone want CSII so much.

Top Bottom