• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak | Review Thread

pronouns.png
Make it stop, please.

Oh God

Now I have to wait for a mod that fixes that lol

Should have waited on buying it on Steam

Is this fake?
If not then I will not buy the game anymore. Thank god I saw this before.

It's actually pretty accurate to the original Japanese dialogue. Van mentions -kun and -chan there and that he isn't sure which to use for Quatre. For people that don't know, -kun and -chan are honorifics that are added to names. The former is more masculine and used more so with boys while the later is feminine and used more with girls. It's not strict and can be used in a variety of ways but the masculine and feminine parts are pretty ingrained with it. So Van thinking about which one to use for Quatre is really him wondering about if he's a girl or a boy.

The original line, pulled from Trails in the Database, is:

A more direct translation would be something like:

That line doesn't really work well in English since the average person is pretty unlikely to know what Japanese honorifics mean on their own. You could argue all Trails fans are weeb ass motherfuckers but alas, they need to make it approachable to general audiences. You could go with "Ms. or Mr. which would match the honorific part and get the nuance of how Van is thinking about calling Quatre. However, it isn't in character for Van, since he's not that formal, nor does it flow with the rest of the conversation. Going straight to "Are you a girl or boy" is too blunt and wouldn't work either.

So the way they translated works really well even if it doesn't use an equivalent honorific. It keeps the part where Van is uncertain about Quatre specifically through how to refer to him which is the core part of the line. It also works and is kind of funny because Quatre right after goes "Isn't it obvious? I'm a dude."

We just witnessed proof of the adage that bullshit requires ten times the effort to disprove than create. Thanks for your time with this.

So, yeah, Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura , "make it stop".

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
First trails game to drop an F bomb, presented in a comical censored way, as it may have been, but still.

Shouta

Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura

XjY9NQF.jpeg
The Office Reaction GIF

Looks like the localization is bad..
That entire conversation is translated accurately and is in the Japanese version

アーロン

旧王国系──白人至上主義の連中が
目の仇の東方系、たまに中東系に起こす。

It's spelled out right there. 白人至上主義 is white supremacy in Japanese.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Tried the PC version today. The writing is pretty bad and fanficy as usual (I get some people like that but whatever), but I have to say they did a great job with ultrawide and HDR in a places. Wasn't expecting ultrawide cutscenes out of the box. The soundtrack is also fantastic. Once I finish the heaps of other RPGs I have left to finish I might actually give it a playthrough. I can only stomach one these games once every few years.

adamsapple

I started playing the first Trails in the Sky a couple of days ago, and will get through this very promising series, so i'll probably get to this in about 3-4 years!

You should be starting the Cold Steel series by the time this Daybreak arc ends :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I've played all of them at release so I'm caught up, but for new players, I actually agree with what someone said earlier that it's probably better to look up youtube recaps of the older games before starting this new one. Cause if you're gonna go through the process of playing all these games, it will take you a looooooong time, cause you're talking about 9~10 full length JRPGs.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That entire conversation is translated accurately and is in the Japanese version

アーロン

旧王国系──白人至上主義の連中が
目の仇の東方系、たまに中東系に起こす。

It's spelled out right there. 白人至上主義 is white supremacy in Japanese.
So the issue is the original crappy writing then which is even worse.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Tried the PC version today. The writing is pretty bad and fanficy as usual (I get some people like that but whatever), but I have to say they did a great job with ultrawide and HDR in a places. Wasn't expecting ultrawide cutscenes out of the box. The soundtrack is also fantastic. Once I finish the heaps of other RPGs I have left to finish I might actually give it a playthrough. I can only stomach one these games once every few years.
You can thank Durante and his team at PH3. I've shared an interview with him on the first page of this thread (it's a pretty good read).

DeVeAn

Been watching this series from afar. Got the first game on Steam enjoyed the little I played. Which version of this is better? PS5 or Steamdeck?

Been watching this series from afar. Got the first game on Steam enjoyed the little I played. Which version of this is better? PS5 or Steamdeck?
You will not get an unbiased answer.

I prefer PS5, because the game was developed for consoles and it's the original Falcom version with an English translation. Also, I have a disc that I can resell, trade, lend, etc.

PC dudes will talk about mods, and whatever extra features the folks that were contracted out to develop the PC version have added.

It's basically a PS4 game scaled in resolution to whatever platform you choose.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

You will not get an unbiased answer.

I prefer PS5, because the game was developed for consoles and it's the original Falcom version with an English translation. Also, I have a disc that I can resell, trade, lend, etc.

PC dudes will talk about mods, and whatever extra features the folks that were contracted out to develop the PC version have added.

It's basically a PS4 game scaled in resolution to whatever platform you choose.
I guess I'm more about best performance. Steam version caught my interest because of Durante being involved as he made Dark Souls on PC ace.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A great friend of mine sent me some merch from the Kiseki 20th anniversary pop-up store in Akihabara that just arrived!

p03xnpB.png

A huge acrylic plate (with metal pins to hold it up), and a mug that has a lid/coaster, both with the 20th Anniversary design that I believe is exclusive to this popup. There is also a nice ceramic coaster with some doodles, and a Cold Steel 3 jacket keychain. So cool!

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
A great friend of mine sent me some merch from the Kiseki 20th anniversary pop-up store in Akihabara that just arrived!

p03xnpB.png

A huge acrylic plate (with metal pins to hold it up), and a mug that has a lid/coaster, both with the 20th Anniversary design that I believe is exclusive to this popup. There is also a nice ceramic coaster with some doodles, and a Cold Steel 3 jacket keychain. So cool!

I'm Jealous

Shouta

So the issue is the original crappy writing then which is even worse.
It's a Trails game. The writing has been kind of wonky from the start, particularly the Japanese versions where they really phone it in and repeat shit ad nauseam in a lot of places.

However, that element of Calvard has existed since Azure, both in the terrorists and in Rocksmith's description of the tumultuous history of the country. It might be because the translation was slightly lacking in the English release but the Anti-Immigration League that attacks Orchis Tower in that game is pointed out as Anti-Easterner too in Japanese. So it's not new.

sigmaZ

One of the best parts of the game 👀
Oh, dang. Where do I buy THAT DLC?

It's a Trails game. The writing has been kind of wonky from the start, particularly the Japanese versions where they really phone it in and repeat shit ad nauseam in a lot of places.
This. The writing in Falcom games has always been camp af. They used to not focus on their stories so much, then I guess they realized their otaku fan based and really started hammering it in with the tropes and idol girls etc.. As someone fluent in Japanese, the English translations add a lot more flavor in a lot of scenes. Not a huge fan of the storytelling, but they still reel me in with their old-school gameplay and music.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

However, that element of Calvard has existed since Azure, both in the terrorists and in Rocksmith's description of the tumultuous history of the country. It might be because the translation was slightly lacking in the English release but the Anti-Immigration League that attacks Orchis Tower in that game is pointed out as Anti-Easterner too in Japanese. So it's not new.
I haven’t been fond of their Trails writing since Zero and Azure, that’s true. And thought Ys IX was mediocre as well.

I did like Tokyo Xanadu for what it’s worth.

Shouta

Oh, dang. Where do I buy THAT DLC?

This. The writing in Falcom games has always been camp af. They used to not focus on their stories so much, then I guess they realized their otaku fan based and really started hammering it in with the tropes and idol girls etc.. As someone fluent in Japanese, the English translations add a lot more flavor in a lot of scenes. Not a huge fan of the storytelling, but they still reel me in with their old-school gameplay and music.
Well, they've been pretty story-focused for their Legend of Heroes games since Sky. Their previous games in the franchise still had story but were a lot less detailed and stuck to fairly established tropes in a classic sort of way. They've definitely been camp in a lot of places though. I fucking don't need everyone to add a throwaway line at the start of every fight just so they said something.

I haven’t been fond of their Trails writing since Zero and Azure, that’s true. And thought Ys IX was mediocre as well.

I did like Tokyo Xanadu for what it’s worth.

I like Zero a ton but Azure is where they started tossing in the harem-shit writing and mechanics. They also sidelined a bunch of characters super hard in it like Elie. It's a helluva ride for a game but those problems keep it from being perfect for me.

They're really consistent about their lore though so I'll give them that at the very least.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
It's a mild scene all things considered, but yeah kind of a 'wtf' for this Legend of Heroes series lol.

This game's bucking a few trends.

Yeah that scene was a surprise for me when I came across it playing it for the first time. It was a good surprise though. The previous games don't go as in depth in the Sex Trafficking problem in the world as this game does

sigmaZ

Yeah that scene was a surprise for me when I came across it playing it for the first time. It was a good surprise though. The previous games don't go as in depth in the Sex Trafficking problem in the world as this game does
Good to see some cohones in a Falcom game. Too bad the character designs still look a bit to soft to convey a darker tone. The opening scene was good, but the designs betrayed the tone they were trying to establish. Felt more like a cartoon for a 7 year old, not even teenager-level.

adamsapple

Slowly chipping away at the game, slower than I would have liked.

However, this game does that thing that pretty much all the recent Legend of Heroes games do that I personally don't like at all that every time you run across yet another legendary foe, after a fight they just go 'ok i'll let you g this time'. Your party is just pathetically underwhelming in terms of the enemies but they always just let you go. Very little stakes as I know they have to keep bringing those bosses back for the rest of the 2 games in the trilogy too.

* oh, and also, there's way too many mysterious people with world-ending powers. It would be nice if you could just come across a normal guy for a boss, not yet another mysterious jeager with a mysterious past and some ancient power etc etc.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Slowly chipping away at the game, slower than I would have liked.

However, this game does that thing that pretty much all the recent Legend of Heroes games do that I personally don't like at all that every time you run across yet another legendary foe, after a fight they just go 'ok i'll let you g this time'. Your party is just pathetically underwhelming in terms of the enemies but they always just let you go. Very little stakes as I know they have to keep bringing those bosses back for the rest of the 2 games in the trilogy too.

* oh, and also, there's way too many mysterious people with world-ending powers. It would be nice if you could just come across a normal guy for a boss, not yet another mysterious jeager with a mysterious past and some ancient power etc etc.

lol whatever kid. Now the fun really begins!

*begins powering up*

*scripted boss fight where you lose*

adamsapple

lol whatever kid. Now the fun really begins!

*begins powering up*

*scripted boss fight where you lose*

* boss fight with a character being portrayed on par with the strongest in the Cold Steel franchise *

* win boss fight *

* Now I can finally let loose for real*

* Boss powers into super saiyan 5.xx mode *

* On second thought, I don't feel like it anymore cause I'd just murder you *

* walks away *

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Top Bottom