• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jnWake

This is the best Zelda soundtrack I can remember. All of the "lul wut music" shit opinions really lose the poignancy of Kataoka's work.

Rhoam's theme, Riding (Day & Night), Vah Medoh and Vah Ruta's themes, the desert at night... all absolutely gorgeous. The shrine music is alien and exciting, the mini-boss themes are wonderful...

I really can't put into words how exciting it is that Nintendo took the direction they did for Zelda, and that Aonuma is on record for doubling down and saying this is the future of the franchise.

My favorite is the Tower music. So peaceful.

Smellycat

There's a quest to find this one, though, unless I'm mistaken. A really cleverly designed one, in fact.

Took me some time to find this one, but it was kinda double reward. Just keep exploring (actually, there's someone that tells you where it is: the one that
offers you the surfing minigame
)

If they fall behind a mountain, you're out of luck, though. It's hard to farm them.

Nope. They are incredibly easy to farm

Just follow this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPSclt-ER-Y

Is it just me or does audio feel... off in 1.2.0? Like, I feel like sound effects are kicking in a couple frames late and all audio seems partly truncated.

Also, has anyone found other changes beyond dual language?

Fighting lynels has to be the fucking worst thing in the game. With a 60 atk weapon it's just stupidly long and boring. I'm sure even if I had a 400 atk weapon it would take too long.

I thought so too until I started using high-level attack boosts (meal or elixir) to fight them. Now I defeat Lynel in a 2 minutes or so.

Also if you're using two-handed weapons (I don't with Lynels, need my shield) make sure you're using the charge spinning attack. You can keep circling around the enemie while doing massive damage and avoiding their attacks at the same time. Two-handed weapons are too slow otherwise.

random25

Is there some gameplay changes in the latest patch other than voice options?

Fighting lynels has to be the fucking worst thing in the game. With a 60 atk weapon it's just stupidly long and boring. I'm sure even if I had a 400 atk weapon it would take too long.

If you can stun a lynel frequently, lynel fights can be pretty fast. If you apply assistance such as stacking attack buffs and Urbosa's Fury, it's even doable in under a minute.

Lynels are easy.

Arrow to the head -> mount -> attack wildly -> repeat. You can kill even Silver Lynels without much trouble (and if your aim is good, without any damage at all) quite quickly. Especially if you have a powerful bow and weapon, both of which you get from Lynels (and Lynel bows make headshots really easy). Throw in a few Urbosa's Fury strikes and it's a joke.

Bonus tip: you can even get crit-hit headshots from behind.

Firenze1

Banned
Lynels are easy.

Arrow to the head -> mount -> attack wildly -> repeat. You can kill even Silver Lynels without much trouble (and if your aim is good, without any damage at all) quite quickly. Especially if you have a powerful bow and weapon, both of which you get from Lynels (and Lynel bows make headshots really easy). Throw in a few Urbosa's Fury strikes and it's a joke.

Bonus tip: you can even get crit-hit headshots from behind.

just use stasis+ and freeze them. Hit their bum, rinse repeat.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I just finished the game and have a question. Spoilers for the ending ofcourse

Why are the ancient enemies still attacking you? I was under the impression as soon as you bring down Ganon there will be peace again? Weird how you can do the boss fight again too would loved to see the castle as just a peacfull place... Is it worth visiting towns now Ganon is defeated or arent there any after game dialogus like with the 4 people to talk to?

Yeah, I had the same reaction. I don't think it would be that difficult to do it either:

A bit more quiet Hyrule castle and no Guardians attacking you would be the obvious aftermath of beating Ganon. The beasts can stay as they are, the world is anyhow changing once you beat them, including weather, quests, dialogues etc. I see no issues with that. They can still be controlled by evil power contained within them.

As far as I remember the monsters are not directly linked to Ganon, as the legend speak about Hyrule people being able to contain the monsters before Ganon appeared again, but maybe I remember wrongly? In that case the monster could still be in the world and in the Castle itself.

Burny

Yeah, I had the same reaction. I don't think it would be that difficult to do it either:

A bit more quiet Hyrule castle and no Guardians attacking you would be the obvious aftermath of beating Ganon. The beasts can stay as they are, the world is anyhow changing once you beat them, including weather, quests, dialogues etc. I see no issues with that. They can still be controlled by evil power contained within them.

As far as I remember the monsters are not directly linked to Ganon, as the legend speak about Hyrule people being able to contain the monsters before Ganon appeared again, but maybe I remember wrongly? In that case the monster could still be in the world and in the Castle itself.

After you defeat Ganon, the game ends. You don't continue after the ending sequence, but from your last save just before the last boss fight. While that activates some minor things in terms of NPCs as far as I know (monster medals), it doesn't make sense to change the overworld, as in any save you play, Ganon is still alive and kicking.

Maybe the decsion process for this was the the other way round: In order not to have to do any changes to the overworld, they don't let you play after defeating Ganon, but set you back just before the fight.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After you defeat Ganon, the game ends. You don't continue after the ending sequence, but from your last save just before the last boss fight. While that activates some minor things in terms of NPCs as far as I know (monster medals), it doesn't make sense to change the overworld, as in any save you play, Ganon is still alive and kicking.

Maybe the decsion process for this was the the other way round: In order not to have to do any changes to the overworld, they don't let you play after defeating Ganon, but set you back just before the fight.

I know what happens. But it's a bit of a pity that the world changes after the divine beasts but not after you defeated Ganon.

Maybe the DLC pack 2 will have something post Ganon.

MTC100

Banned
tmp_11478-screenshot_c7uku.png

Guys... my freetime is badly damaged since I've got Zelda on a few days ago :(

*today is even more damaged as I have to work and can't play Zelda while working, sadly.

-I got the
Master
sword yesterday by exchanging some stamina for hearts at the
horned statue
, even that process what quite pleasant and the dark tone very interesting, I still feel a bit robbed of my(Links) spirit though, he probably lost his soul in the process :/

Greddleok

Maybe this is a dumb question...but what do you do once you've done the final boss?

I took a break from the game, and have the urge to get back in, but I'm not really sure what's left to do.

JJShadow

Got my Switch last Friday with this and MK8 and I'm fucking loving it so far, there's so much to explore and to do to the point where I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment lol One question: I just got to
Kakariko village
and already have tons of stuff, mostly rocks and minerals. Should I keep them for later on or is it advisable to sell a few of them to gain some rupees early on?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Got my Switch last Friday with this and MK8 and I'm fucking loving it so far, there's so much to explore and to do to the point where I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment lol One question: I just got to
Kakariko village
and already have tons of stuff, mostly rocks and minerals. Should I keep them for later on or is it advisable to sell a few of them to gain some rupees early on?

You can sell them. They're useful later on, but you can also farm them fairly easily.

Kakariko village

Conflicting opinions about that on this very page (or the previous one). I'd say don't sell unless you have boatloads (100+) of each. I sell cooked meat for rupees (5 pieces in a meal), although this strategy is probably more practical later on as you'll have access to better (and thus more expensive) meat cuts and better ways to recover your health than meat.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Conflicting opinions about that on this very page (or the previous one). I'd say don't sell unless you have boatloads (100+) of each. I sell cooked meat for rupees (5 pieces in a meal), although this strategy is probably more practical later on as you'll have access to better (and thus more expensive) meat cuts and better ways to recover your health than meat.

I mean, you can
buy gems later on
and unless you don't want to farm
Taluses
when you need them there's no real loss in selling gems. Besides, they aren't really useful unless you want to use the
jewelry shop
or
upgrade gear past rank 2

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I sold a lot of gems for rupees and still had enough later on for upgrades.

Just go on a Talus killing rampage when needed. There are also mining rocks in a lot of places.

taybul

What kind of meals exactly? I have some that heal 5+ hearts and they sell for maybe 50-70 a pop.

There was some IGN video that suggested taking Gourmet Meat (best acquired from larger animals in frigid areas like the field south of
Snowfield Stable
....you'll have to collect the meat quickly though before it freezes) and making skewers with a few of them in the pot at once. Gourmet skewers sell for roughly
500 each
and all-Prime Meat skewers sell for nearly
200 each
. They never say the exact recipe but I assume it's
5 Gourmet meats and 5 Prime Meats
, respectively.

atr0cious

Kakariko village
Gems are everywhere, feel free to sell them. Do what they tell you to do in that place as soon as possible and you'll unlock something that will help you find ore. Just always keep a hammer on you for mountainside mining, while using bombs for open spaces. Mark every talus you find on your map and then revisit whenever​ need some rupees, Eldin has the best.

There was some IGN video that suggested taking Gourmet Meat (best acquired from larger animals in frigid areas like the field south of
Snowfield Stable
....you'll have to collect the meat quickly though before it freezes) and making skewers with a few of them in the pot at once. Gourmet skewers sell for roughly
500 each
and all-Prime Meat skewers sell for nearly
200 each
. They never say the exact recipe but I assume it's
5 Gourmet meats and 5 Prime Meats
, respectively.

Yup.

Gems are everywhere, feel free to sell them. Do what they tell you to do in that place as soon as possible and you'll unlock something that will help you find ore. Just always keep a hammer on you for mountainside mining, while using bombs for open spaces. Mark every talus you find on your map and then revisit whenever​ need some rupees, Eldin has the best.

You don't need a hammer. Almost any weapon will do. Obviously weak weapons will take many hits to break the rock, and very weak ones will break first, but stronger weapons do it in one hit. Doesn't even have to be a metallic weapon.

I never carry a hammer in this game, or a korok leaf or a torch. The latter two you can almost always find near where you need them.

Red

If you break the ore you see I don't know how you could ever run out of rupees. I have tens of thousands of rupees with hundreds of gemstones to spare.

taybul

Yup.

You don't need a hammer. Almost any weapon will do. Obviously weak weapons will take many hits to break the rock, and very weak ones will break first, but stronger weapons do it in one hit. Doesn't even have to be a metallic weapon.

I never carry a hammer in this game, or a korok leaf or a torch. The latter two you can almost always find near where you need them.

I have to start doing this. I've always had a torch, leaf, and hammer on hand but only really use the hammer often. I have a feeling that using just any non-hammer/drill weapon to mine would severely reduce their durability, no?

The hammer seems really useful for the Taluses though, which, TIL, respawns.

Boss Man

I'm in love with this game, but I am pretty upset that they obviously ripped what would have been very welcome Gamepad integration from the Wii U version to avoid a situation where it could have been seen as the superior version of the game.

The menu is one of like, two total things that I dislike about the game, and it would have been much better with the Gamepad. Having the map there would be pretty nice too.

Given the Shiekah Slate, I also wonder what other neat things they may have had planned.

Dr.Hadji

This is the best Zelda soundtrack I can remember. All of the "lul wut music" shit opinions really lose the poignancy of Kataoka's work.

Rhoam's theme, Riding (Day & Night), Vah Medoh and Vah Ruta's themes, the desert at night... all absolutely gorgeous. The shrine music is alien and exciting, the mini-boss themes are wonderful...

I really can't put into words how exciting it is that Nintendo took the direction they did for Zelda, and that Aonuma is on record for doubling down and saying this is the future of the franchise.

Hyrule Field Analysis. I'm not going to lie, I really don't have the tool necessary to really appreciate the music. So things like this video really help drive home the point that this music is really well done.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have to start doing this. I've always had a torch, leaf, and hammer on hand but only really use the hammer often. I have a feeling that using just any non-hammer/drill weapon to mine would severely reduce their durability, no?

Yea, the Goron weps are fantastic against the Taluses. I try and keep one on hand in case I run across one.

JJShadow

You can sell them. They're useful later on, but you can also farm them fairly easily.

Thanks everyone! I'll sell some of the stuff I already have then. I've been marking on the map every mining place I've encountered so far, so it should be easy to come back in case I need more

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks everyone! I'll sell some of the stuff I already have then. I've been marking on the map every mining place I've encountered so far, so it should be easy to come back in case I need more

Every Talus you kill will drop a ton of good gems. Mark those instead of generic mining points.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Everyone said tonsave gems for armour upgrades and I upgrade a few armours to max level and don't remember even needing any gems. Maybe it was some other armour types but I wish I'd sold more gems earlier

Yes you'll break your weapons if you use them for mining, but it's the same with the hammer, isn't it? I almost always use bombs to mine for ore, unless its on a steep slope/cliff with a long drop. So you shouldn't need to use weapons often if you remember to use bombs when you can.

All enemies respawn with every blood moon.

Hard Mode update sounds like such a major disappointment for me. Has Nintendo really not paid any attention to the criticisms that have been leveled against the game's balance these past 8 weeks? It's like they doubled down on the most outstanding problem.

I just got the Master Sword. I think I can be done with this game.

Lynels really are no joke. Encountered my first one today and gave it a good few attempts. Sadly got thoroughly roasted by it.

Though, it definitely cheated at one point as it aimed at me through a wall and shot me with a frost arrow.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I went back and listened to the final boss themes in the game because I had the volume turned down when I finished the game.

Holy shit. I think this is my favorite track in the game. It's fucking amazing - probably at the same level as the Hyrule Castle theme.

I find the music in this game is kind of hit or miss at times because the funky Shiekah tunes sometimes rub me the wrong way. I don't like the shrine music or the shrine combat music, for example. But sometimes, it's fucking great.

Vuze

Scaling Mount Lanayru without clothing that does the job or nah? I only have the warm clothing from early on :( Not sure if I should waste food for staying warm or just come back later.

jariw

Hard Mode update sounds like such a major disappointment for me. Has Nintendo really not paid any attention to the criticisms that have been leveled against the game's balance these past 8 weeks? It's like they doubled down on the most outstanding problem.

I just got the Master Sword. I think I can be done with this game.

Of course, Aonuma should release a video where he apologize to some random complainers on social media, announce a delay and redesign of the DLC, so the requirements made by these random people can be met. This will surely result in a much better end result.
/s

Scaling Mount Lanayru without clothing that does the job or nah? I only have the warm clothing from early on :( Not sure if I should waste food for staying warm or just come back later.

If you have a fire weapon you can equip it to raise your body temperature.

I do that along with the warm doublet from early on. And I switch to a different weapon for combat and quickly switch back to the fire weapon before I take damage from the cold.

Also if you have Monster Extract you can cook it with a piece of red pepper (or any other warming food) and if you're lucky you'll get a meal that gives you cold resistance for 30 minutes! Monster Extract effects are random, so it's good to save before attempting to use it and keep loading until you get the desired boost. I think doing it during a blood moon guarantees a super meal.

I always buy all of
Kilton's
stock of Monster Extract whenever I find him. Haven't bothered with anything else he sells.

Of course, Aonuma should release a video where he apologize to some random complainers on social media, announce a delay and redesign of the DLC, so the requirements made by these random people can be met. This will surely result in a much better end result.
/s

Like, what is the point of this post?

Please, if there's some semblance of critical thought here beyond the obvious contrived attempt at
sarcasm
, highlight it for me.

atr0cious

Yes you'll break your weapons if you use them for mining, but it's the same with the hammer, isn't it? .
No, the hammer has an affinity for ore and you can use the same hammer for dozens of hours. It's worth keeping one on hand when you go spelunking, as bombs send the gems flying.

khaaan

Ugh, I spent what feels like almost an hour just going up against a Moderate Test of Strength. I tapped out when the next shrine I come across just minutes later is a Major Test of Strength. It's also a little annoying because I feel I sacrificed a bit too much for the return. I got a pretty sweet Axe and Shield but I'm uncomfortable with two handed weapons. There was a camp right before I got to the moderate test of strength and even though I died a lot there too I thought it was more satisfying because it yielded a lot of Knight's Broadswords (about 26 strength) which is pretty good for what I've come across so far.

Anyway just got to Hateno, can't wait to get back at it.

No, the hammer has an affinity for ore and you can use the same hammer for dozens of hours.

Oh I didn't know that. With my current expanded inventory I guess can comfortably keep a hammer on hand, but early on I couldn't justify it taking up a precious slot.

Ugh, I spent what feels like almost an hour just going up against a Moderate Test of Strength. I tapped out when the next shrine I come across just minutes later is a Major Test of Strength. It's also a little annoying because I feel I sacrificed a bit too much for the return. I got a pretty sweet Axe and Shield but I'm uncomfortable with two handed weapons. There was a camp right before I got to the moderate test of strength and even though I died a lot there too I thought it was more satisfying because it yielded a lot of Knight's Broadswords (about 26 strength) which is pretty good for what I've come across so far.

Anyway just got to Hateno, can't wait to get back at it.

I like Knight's Broadswords, they're currently my "daily drivers" so to speak.

I think a good way to use two handed weapons is to stun or freeze the enemy first (shock arrows work great on the guardian scouts in the shrines), then run up to them and attack with the two handed weapon (ideally a spinning charge attack, but I can't seem to pull that off most times, don't know why). I like using a speed boost buff in those tests of strength so I can quickly run up to the guardians when they're stunned and run circles around them when they're attacking.

I find two handed weapons (like the Dragonbone Boko Club) are good for stealth strikes on powerful enemies, because you want to make sure you kill with one hit, so you need a weapon with a high enough attack power that at 4x exceeds the enemy's total health.

Hateno is so beautiful. Make sure you don't miss the armor shop there, I had somehow skipped over it until I was 110 hours in. Missed out on good armor for the majority of my playthrough by not exploring the village better.

khaaan

I like Knight's Broadswords, they're currently my "daily drivers" so to speak.

I think a good way to use two handed weapons is to stun or freeze the enemie first (shock arrows work great on the guardian scouts in the shrines), then run up to them and attack with the two handed weapon (ideally a spinning charge attack, but I can't seem to pull that off most times, don't know why).

I find two handed weapons (like the Dragonbone Boko Club) are good for stealth strikes, because you want to make sure you kill with one hit, so you need a weapon with a high enough attack power that at 4x exceeds the enemies total health.

Hateno is beautiful.

Yeah, I can't remember the names of the weapon off the top of my head right now but I have something with around 50 attack power that I haven't touched just because it's so strong. I like the Knights Broadsword because they're relatively strong and seem to have good durability. I'll have to try out dual handed weapons some more I guess. I only got through the moderate trial of strength because of one and before that I was only really using them for a bit of crowd control.

Hateno is pretty great =P
I haven't had the chance to explore it too much though a kid did lead me to a thing I'm not too psyched about but I'll see where it leads me. I am excited to see something outside of the Ocarina of Time staples in a "main" Zelda game. Hope I run into some more. It's kind of interesting cause Hateno gives me the Kakariko vibes while Kakariko itself seems to be more inspired by other things.

mike6467

Well, after just getting off the big plateau on the Wii U version, I took a break to finish Horizon, Nier and the monster that was Persona 5 before I dove into this.

Last week I got some unexpected money, so I saved half of it and bought a Switch, MK8 and Zelda. I've got the update, are there any changes or new mechanics or anything I should be aware of since I tuned out (roughly 3 days after launch)? I want to jump in, but figured I'd ask so I don't get 40 hours in and kick myself because I didn't check all the changelogs or scan these threads. Alternatively, what little interface/gameplay things do you wish you'd known about when you started?

Yeah, I can't remember the names of the weapon off the top of my head right now but I have something with around 50 attack power that I haven't touched just because it's so strong. I like the Knights Broadsword because they're relatively strong and seem to have good durability. I'll have to try out dual handed weapons some more I guess. I only got through the moderate trial of strength because of one and before that I was only really using them for a bit of crowd control.

Hateno is pretty great =P
I haven't had the chance to explore it too much though a kid did lead me to a thing I'm not too psyched about but I'll see where it leads me. I am excited to see something outside of the Ocarina of Time staples in a "main" Zelda game. Hope I run into some more. It's kind of interesting cause Hateno gives me the Kakariko vibes while Kakariko itself seems to be more inspired by other things.
You'll appreciate 2-handed weapons when you're able to use their charge attacks more. They really dish out the damage. I generally prefer a sword and shield because parrying is good, but the damage from 2-handers is what gets me through Lynels and other overworld sub-bosses.

And Japanese Kakariko Village is so cool, I think. Ume blossoms and pagodas everywhere.

Top Bottom