• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

LiK

There is an armor set for climbing, each piece giving you a climbing speed boost, and with all three equipped you get climbing jump stamina boost. Climb a few steps, jump, slip, repeat. Like I said I haven't found a mountain or a tower that I couldn't climb when it's raining with enough stamina, this trick, and the gear. Plus you can replenish and expand stamina with food and elixirs any time mid-climb (which I almost never need to do, but it's an easy option if you need it).

The complaints about rain are overblown. I like that the game's weather is dynamic, random, and challenges you. Stop being wussies.

It's a dumb mechanic, tbh. I just teleport to a stable and sleep until morning if I see rain is gonna happen for most of the day. Faster that way.

Speaking of the beast lasers, I hate how they ruin the horizon and scenery while exploring the world. I really wish they weren't permanently​ visible from everywhere.

It's a dumb mechanic, tbh. I just teleport to a stable and sleep until morning if I see rain is gonna happen for most of the day. Faster that way.

That's absolutely not faster (if your intention is to actually climb something and you have two stamina wheels and climbing gear).

jariw

Faster for me than struggling to scale a mountainside when it's raining. To each their own.

I climbed over the rainy mountains from the north to Zora, before beating the divine beast. The challenge actually became quite interesting.

I climbed over the rainy mountains from the north to Zora, before beating the divine beast. The challenge actually became quite interesting.

Exactly, it adds a layer of engaging challenge to the game, like weapon durability, another feature I enjoy that a lot of people complain about.

LiK

Exactly, it adds a layer of interesting challenge to the game, like weapon durability, another feature I enjoy that a lot of people complain about.

I don't mind weapon durability cuz it makes you actually use other weapons and adds a level of strategy to combat.

Brizzo24

Well this is interesting. Is it possible for your horse to "die," and therefor no longer be accessible at the many stables?

I had acquired the
white horse, which is considered to be like the royal white horse.
It had great stats, and could be "whipped" five times to go faster. But one play session I got into a heated battle, and the horse took damage...or might've died. Not sure which though as I was focused on the battle.

Today, when I went to a stable I noticed my
white horse named Nala,
is missing. I no longer have access to this horse. I ain't even mad, in fact I am impressed. But I was unaware that your horse could die.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well this is interesting. Is it possible for your horse to "die," and therefor no longer be accessible at the many stables?

I had acquired the
white horse, which is considered to be like the royal white horse.
It had great stats, and could be "whipped" five times to go faster. But one play session I got into a heated battle, and the horse took damage...or might've died. Not sure which though as I was focused on the battle.

Today, when I went to a stable I noticed my
white horse named Nala,
is missing. I no longer have access to this horse. I ain't even mad, in fact I am impressed. But I was unaware that your horse could die.

You can bring your horse back if you wanted. There is a way.

Anteo

Can anyone help me decide?

I'm now at a point where I only have 5 maps left to uncover, 2 beasts down and 70% of memories collected. Since I know there's a 'bad' ending, I decided to head to Hyrule Castle and beat the game before completing the other stuff. However, I'm at the entrance to the Castle, it's been two days and I haven't touched the game because I don't want to ruin the experience of going through Hyrule Castle and beating Ganon at this point in the game.

So, without spoilers, can anyone tell me if it's better to leave Ganon after I've done all the story segments? I know the bad ending depends on
the memories you've collected
, so I can always leave those alone for last. But what about the beasts? Do their lasers weaken Ganon in any way? I don't want to beat the game now, but I also don't want to come once I've gone through all the story and find a pussycat Ganon weakened by 4 lasers.

I beat the game at that point. There is no bad ending, just an extra bonus scene if you get all memories, a small interaction between link and zelda but its pretty forgetable imo.

Re beasts
the final boss fight consists in fighting every one of the 4 blights of ganon and then calamity itself. For each beasts you defeat one of the blights wont appear in the final battle and ganon loses 1/8 of hp. If you beat al beats you will go straight to ganon with 1/2 hp remaining. So the battle is longer and more memorable the earlier in the story you are.

ReyVGM

I beat the game at that point. There is no bad ending, just an extra bonus scene if you get all memories, a small interaction between link and zelda but its pretty forgetable imo.

Re beasts
the final boss fight consists in fighting every one of the 4 blights of ganon and then calamity itself. For each beasts you defeat one of the blights wont appear in the final battle and ganon loses 1/8 of hp. If you beat al beats you will go straight to ganon with 1/2 hp remaining. So the battle is longer and more memorable the earlier in the story you are.

Thanks for the info. I thought there were two distinct endings.

Man, I really hate having a weaker
Ganon the more beasts you do
. I still don't know if I should go fight him now or not. They really should have added something extra if you fight him after doing all the story segments.

atr0cious

I'm pretty early game (15 spirit orbs total, I guess?) and just used every weapon I had and all my good shields fighting and eventually killing a Guardian Mk. III (or whatever) in the A Major Test of Strength Trial in the shrine in the ocean in the bottom right of the map. I got two super powerful weapons that I'm sure I'll never feel comfortable using and some climbing armor.

Was this a bad decision? Should I reload? I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Edit: You know what? I'm gonna live with my decision and my accomplishment. I may have used up some decent weapons and shields and restorative items in the fight but part of the fun is finding new weapons and burning through your stock. So I have a few more clubs and sticks than I'd expect at this point -- who cares. The freedom is nice. And climbing and movement is the most important thing for me, so anything I can do to improve that is appreciated.
You're making the right decision. In the future, fight more often. The more you fight and break your weapons, the more powerful the weapon drops become.

EhoaVash

Just beat the game on wii u right now, total hour = 157

I liked the game, interesting to see zelda go this route but..idk how i really feel

Botw reminds me of the wind waker a lot, except I found wind waker boring after few hours, but botw was more fun and intersting game for my entire playthrough.

I love zelda games for its dungeons, story, music ( TP and skyward sword are my favorite in the series btw ) yet Botw blows in these 3 departments lol yet I still liked the game a lot. ( The small amount of music tracks in this game are outstanding but they're too far and few which makes me sad :(

The shrines except maybe 1 or 2 in the game felt like tiny bit size snacks ( very few of them were great but the rest ehh too short too simple =/ ), the dungeons themselves felt like....fast food not very fufuilling at all left me too hungry. which made the main course of this game the open world exploration which I loved to explore.

honestly while I liked this big departure for the series, the ending just left a lot more to be desired especially in the story department. Makes me feel kinda empty inside, I just wanted more closure? i guess.

anyway, I hope the zelda team keeps the botw open world exploration formula for future zeldas but please bring back the meaty dungeons, the music everywhere, and more story for future games ._. Missed these things a lot

also where is the completion rate? I don't see it just just see a white star on my file.

sazzy

My Hyrule Compendium is almost complete. 6 monsters, 8 creatures and 8 weapons/shields left. I bought only 1 picture at the beginning (the spring loaded hammer thing).

Its been fun. I've been cataloging since I got the compendium, so its not like I've spent any extra hours just taking pictures.

I wish the camera range were longer. Its very annoying to get the birds and the insects.

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
Need help... not sure where to get next mainline quest as I haven't played in a bit.

My current main quests are

Destroy ganon
Free the divine beasts
Captured memories

Is there a more specific mainline I'm missing?

KingBroly

Banned
[TW]Stone;235663231 said:
Need help... not sure where to get next mainline quest as I haven't played in a bit.

Destroy ganon
Free the divine beasts
Captured memories

Look at your Map

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
[TW]Stone;235663231 said:

Destroy ganon
Free the divine beasts
Captured memories

Nope. Those are your mainline quests for the game. They'll lead you to other ones, and there's one you find by exploring a specific area, but you've got what the rest of us had.

Pick one and go for it.

Waxy

I got a question, I have 2 more memories that I want to find before heading to Hyrule castle, but I can't find the painter guy to give a hint. Does he stop going to stables at a certain point or something?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I got a question, I have 2 more memories that I want to find before heading to Hyrule castle, but I can't find the painter guy to give a hint. Does he stop going to stables at a certain point or something?

He's also in certain towns.

Golnei

I went to Kakariko but all he said was something about a bridge or something, he wouldn't give a hint. The only one I cant find is the last one in the trees.

That one does have an associated stable - he actually tells you exactly where it is in that hint, as well.

watershed

Banned
I'm kind of surprised that darkness and use of a torch for visibility doesn't figure into the game beyond
the Typhlo Ruins and the opening of 1 Divine Beast.
I think it would have been cool if some regions were really dark at night, requiring a torch or some other light source.

Golnei

I'm kind of surprised that darkness and use of a torch for visibility doesn't figure into the game beyond
I think it would have been cool if some regions were really dark at night, requiring a torch or some other light source.

I wonder if they could have worked that into one of the Divine Beast world-state changes - maybe the ash from Rudania agitating the volcano blanketing it would make Death Mountain (and probably Akkala) incredibly dark at night until you calm it? It'd fit in with
the use of the torch in the dungeon
, and also work well with being a region in which making a light source is as easy as taking out a wooden weapon or arrow.

So my professor is making my class do lightning talks for our finals and she let me and my friend present why BotW is arguably one of the GOAT! But since we only get five minutes, I think we''ll just discuss how amazing the climbing in this game is and how it connects to so many cool aspects of this game.

Firenze1

Banned
I found the memories without the hints. Look at the pictures.

khaaan

Maaan, I just found out you need a certain amount of hearts to do something. Stamina is so much more useful, I'm bummed I have to shift focus.

They nailed a lot of things in Breath of the Wild so I'm looking forward to them iterating and perfecting on things in either the DLC or next game. I hope we get some moments requiring a torch too, Twilight Princess had those grotto's and I absolutely loved them because you were basically venturing into the unknown with only a torch to light your way. I don't know about an entire region requiring a torch at night time though but it depends on the visibility.

Maaan, I just found out you need a certain amount of hearts to do something. Stamina is so much more useful, I'm bummed I have to shift focus.

You can exchange stamina for hearts at a
statue in Hateno
for 20 rupees a pop. I traded 3 or 4 stamina upgrades for hearts to get the
Master Sword
, since like you I had prioritized stamina in my playthrough. It's worth it. And if you miss your stamina you can exchange it back, but again you'll lose 20 rupees for each trade. I opted to build it back organically and welcome the challenge of having less stamina than I'm used to for a while.

Finally decided to go take on Ganon after "over 110 hours" and 103 shrines. I don't want to say the game was getting boring, but definitely started to feel a bit aimless as I scoured this huge world for side missions and shrines. Felt like the right time to just go for it and end the story.

Holy shit, the final area and boss just took this game to another level for me. When
the classic Zelda theme
starts playing as you explore the castle, it's bliss. Though I do feel like Ganon was maybe a little bit too easy? Or maybe I was just too OP by this point lol.

Regardless the ending was super satisfying to me, but to my surprise I only have 28.8 percent complete....oh well I'm down for another few hundred hours :)

Is there a way to check exactly how many hours I played. I only see 45 hours or more.

No, unfortunately. Praying they'll patch in a real activity log in the future.

Vuze

The top of Mount Lanaryu was amazing. I'm not sure if this "random" spawn after going back to the grassland has anything to do with it but should I chase after it and hit it for potential drops or something? Or is it just a cool bonus appearance?

https://abload.de/img/unbenannt-2oys84.jpg (spoilers if you haven't been at the top of said location)

E: Nvm, it's ascending, not gonna worry about climbing back up lol

So my professor is making my class do lightning talks for our finals and she let me and my friend present why BotW is arguably one of the GOAT! But since we only get five minutes, I think we''ll just discuss how amazing the climbing in this game is and how it connects to so many cool aspects of this game.

Excellent topic as I personally feel it relates to the game's player progression and sense of determination to discover the entire map.

The top of Mount Lanaryu was amazing. I'm not sure if this "random" spawn after going back to the grassland has anything to do with it but should I chase after it and hit it for potential drops or something? Or is it just a cool bonus appearance?

https://abload.de/img/unbenannt-2oys84.jpg (spoilers if you haven't been at the top of said location)

E: Nvm, it's ascending, not gonna worry about climbing back up lol

Are you playing via Cemu or something?

AbaFadi

Banned
That pic was such a give away

Haven't played the game for like a month now, but if I remember correctly, there were a number of places within the game that had damaged guardians but I don't remember where they all were. One area pops to mind, so I guess I can check it out before seeking further assistance.

Nictel

So a lot of people complain about (shrine spoilet)
the bloodmoon shrine. But I arrived way past the bloodmoon cutscene and it still worked. I think you have most if not all of a bloodmoon night. As long as the pedestal is blinking orange.

Missing 6 shrines somehow (3 quests) and one that I can't figure out :
Heart of the rito.
I figure I have to shoot a flame arrow through the heart at noon but it isn't really working

Also missing 5 normal quests.. I feel like I skipped a part of the map.

Does the formula for this game switch up at all after the first 3-4 hours? I feel like I'm being a bit too harsh on it, but I'm not really enjoying the combat and exploring the world isn't really doing it for me. Or maybe I should say that I'm not enjoying exploring the world because enemies get in the way and I don't enjoy the combat and Link's slow movement.

Davide

When should I head for the lost sword? Before the last divine beast?

And should I just drop the ceremonial trident?

Does the formula for this game switch up at all after the first 3-4 hours? I feel like I'm being a bit too harsh on it, but I'm not really enjoying the combat and exploring the world isn't really doing it for me. Or maybe I should say that I'm not enjoying exploring the world because enemies get in the way and I don't enjoy the combat and Link's slow movement.

It sounds like this game is not for you, period.

Exploration is the main thing in this game, if you're not enjoying that, bail out.

And the answer to your question is No. The game formula is essentially the same from the beginning.

Dave_6

Finally manged to snag a Switch today and picked this up along with Mario Kart 8. Excited to see how it is tonight!

Firenze1

Banned
So a lot of people complain about (shrine spoilet)
the bloodmoon shrine. But I arrived way past the bloodmoon cutscene and it still worked. I think you have most if not all of a bloodmoon night. As long as the pedestal is blinking orange.

Missing 6 shrines somehow (3 quests) and one that I can't figure out :
Heart of the rito.
I figure I have to shoot a flame arrow through the heart at noon but it isn't really working

Also missing 5 normal quests.. I feel like I skipped a part of the map.
That heart quest made no sense.
You have to shoot the pidestal at noon.

Regginator

Re beasts

Hmm, this sounds like how the end fight should have been regardless. I was gutted when I beaten all four Beasts, went to Ganon and then without doing anything
50% of his HP is drained
. To make matters worse, he's too easy, if not just way too passive and he deals way too little damage. A pathetic final fight. And don't get me started on the
Dark Beast
... He literally did nothing, not a second did I feel threatened or anything. A huge missed opportunity to do a threatening, meaningful
Shadow of the Colossus
kinda fight.

Nintendo really shit the bed with the terrible main story stuff in BOTW. Just 4 dungeons, they're all easy, they're all way too short, the final fight is disappointing, and the ending is painfully unmemorable. It's just that everything else is incredible, best in the entire series, otherwise this would have easily been the worst 3D Zelda.

Laekon

How tough are the beast? I'm only about 12 shrines in but seem to be ready for the beast the is directly east. I have the required items but not sure about my health and stamina levels or the weapons I have.

Vibed

That heart quest made no sense.
You have to shoot the pidestal at noon.
It makes some sense.
At noon, the shadow forms the shadow of a heart.

I figured it out before I got the quest though by accidentally
lighting a fire on it when I noticed the pedestal light up with the heart on it. I had an inkling that since it was a heart, I'd have to do something with fire.

LiK

LOL, just beat this massive labyrinth in less than 1 minute. Guess I somehow found the right way first try. Lucky.

Top Bottom