• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

You'll appreciate 2-handed weapons when you're able to use their charge attacks more. They really dish out the damage. I generally prefer a sword and shield because parrying is good, but the damage from 2-handers is what gets me through Lynels and other overworld sub-bosses.

And Japanese Kakariko Village is so cool, I think. Ume blossoms and pagodas everywhere.

What makes you able/unable to use a particular weapon's charge attack?

taybul

Question, am I supposed to be able to kill Guardians without ancient arrows? They seem really difficult without (parried one to death but timing is extremely tight) yet trivial with a single arrow.

Question, am I supposed to be able to kill Guardians without ancient arrows? They seem really difficult without (parried one to death but timing is extremely tight) yet trivial with a single arrow.

I was having a lot of difficulty with the parry timing... But keeping as much distance as I can between me and the guardian before the laser shoots seems to make it a lot easier.

You can
cut their legs off.

The Hermit

Doing a second run, this time on the Switch, after 80hr on the WiiU ( only half of the Shrines, so there's plenty to do). Its much better to be able to explore town without feeling nauseated. The framerate on the Switch (+ patch) helped a LOT.

And I am finding a bunch of quests that I've never stumbled upon.

This run is so much different than the one before, it feels like a new game actually.

Red

The parry timing is more generous than you might think. Get about 15-30 feet away and parry when you see the white flash. They are trivial obstacles once you've practiced a few times.

Chinbo37

Hit them in the eye with an arrow. Cut all the legs off, wail on them. If they are about to fire on you at any point during that process hit them in the eye with an arrow again.

That seems to be the best way to do it without parrying.

Poor wording on my part. I meant more times when you're compelled to use them for their higher damage output compared to other weapons. Charged attacks against bosses or sub-bosses or Lynels are clutch.

Yeah I agree charged attacks are great, but I don't know why many times when I tried to charge an attack with a two-handed weapon on my last play session Link did a normal attack instead... I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or there is some requirement I am not aware of. I'll experiment with it again today...

Speaking of charged attacks. How does their damage rate work? With two-handed weapons Link spins around so you get multiple rapid hits, I'm guessing each hit deals the same amount as the base weapon. But with single handed swords it's only one hit per charge, and I'm guessing the damage depends on how long you charge it for, but how much does it multiply?

Don't think I tried charging with spears, I wonder how that works.

atr0cious

Speaking of charged attacks.
Don't think I tried charging with spears, I wonder how that works.
Combat tip about charge attacks, use jump to cancel them. I love the two hand swing, but the end jump swing is like a 2x hit to durability, so I always jump cancel it, as this also allows you to conserve stamina so you're not gassed and end stomped on by a hinox. Spear does rapid stab attack in a direction.

One thing that bothers me game is that the directional movement or rotation seems to be limited to 8 directions on a circle, not fully 360. Like if I'm trying to position Link to face a certain direction, it's difficult to get it accurately because you can't make small adjustments​... Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this common in video games? Why do developers do it?

I don't think I noticed it while walking or running, but if you try to rotate while standing it's very obvious.

atr0cious

One thing that bothers me in this game is that the directional movement or rotation seems to be limited to 8 or 16 directions on a circle, not fully 360. Like if I'm trying to position Link to face a certain direction, it's difficult to get it accurately because you can't make small adjustments​... Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this normal on video games? Why do developers do it?

I don't think I noticed it while walking or running, but if you try to rotate while standing it's very obvious.
It's more a wii u thing, which is an extension of the wii and their casual gameplay initiative. 3d world is 8 way for ease of platforming and this feels similar. When I try to throw bombs at ore it's hard to get the perfect angle sometimes when trying to hit multiple.

sazzy

Ugh, I spent what feels like almost an hour just going up against a Moderate Test of Strength. I tapped out when the next shrine I come across just minutes later is a Major Test of Strength. It's also a little annoying because I feel I sacrificed a bit too much for the return. I got a pretty sweet Axe and Shield but I'm uncomfortable with two handed weapons. There was a camp right before I got to the moderate test of strength and even though I died a lot there too I thought it was more satisfying because it yielded a lot of Knight's Broadswords (about 26 strength) which is pretty good for what I've come across so far.

Anyway just got to Hateno, can't wait to get back at it.

Use shock arrows or electric weapons to stun the guardians.

LiK

OMG the N
aydra
encounter was totally unexpected. So awesome! The first real wow moment for me.

Is it ever not raining in this game?

4h8hzdwrwnly.jpg

Once you have two full stamina wheels or more, rain won't phase you anymore.

I kept prioritizing stamina upgrades over heart containers early on, and I think that was the right move for me. It gave me a lot more freedom in climbing and sprinting and swimming. But at some point later on I traded some stamina for hearts to get you-know-what. And I immediately missed having more stamina... Now I'm working my way up to regain what I lost in the exchange.

jnWake

That moment when you want to upgrade your gear and realize that
skipping all Hinox and Lynel wasn't a good idea
. Oh well, I still have a lot of map to explore so I'll kill the ones I see.

I had a great moment when I recently killed a Lynel only to realize it was the very first one I encountered, which whooped my ass back then and made me nope-nope out of there, but now it was like 100 hours later and I happened to encounter it from the other side of the map, and whooped its ass.

Another amazing feeling is once you become familiar enough with the world (or large areas of it at least) that you develop directional and spacial sense for its geography and topography and can find your way around without looking at the map.

F!ReW!Re

Lynels really are no joke. Encountered my first one today and gave it a good few attempts. Sadly got thoroughly roasted by it.

Though, it definitely cheated at one point as it aimed at me through a wall and shot me with a frost arrow.

They can shoot an arrow straight up into the sky and hit you from above, so hiding behind cover doesn't work.
Easiest way to get them is headshot them with an arrow when they are charging you and then mount them and keep hitting them.

watershed

Banned
I wish the end credits music was better.
It's almost entirely a suite of music from elsewhere in the game. The end credits themselves are pretty underwhelming with no cool revisiting of key npcs or showing any kind of celebration or life after Calamity Ganon.
I guess, musically, Skyward Sword is gonna hold the top spot for another few years at least. No other Zelda end credits music is as powerful and celebratory as Skyward Sword's. And the cutscenes showing Zelda's side of the game were pretty awesome.

azyless

I thought I'd wait to be able to get a Switch before playing this but after hearing the praise I finally caved in and bought the Wii U version. It should arrive this morning, I can't wait to dig into it.

jman2050

Well I took my sweet time getting through this game. Actually wouldn't have minded just playing and exploring more before finishing but alas, TitS The 3rd is beckoning. Powered through all the main quests and other assorted good stuff just in time.

Brilliant game, but you all already knew that. Got through 75 shrines and acquired not nearly enough Korok seeds. My only real problems with the game are the rain messing up your climbing, cooking being a bit fiddly and tedious if you're trying to do more than a few dishes, and those awful awful awful motion tilting shrines. Everything else is golden and this is easily the best Zelda game now.

Chinbo37

I thought I'd wait to be able to get a Switch before playing this but after hearing the praise I finally caved in and bought the Wii U version. It should arrive this morning, I can't wait to dig into it.

Enjoy it and come back with your impressions!

I have the Wii U version and it plays great, other than some stuttering in towns. Its annoying but not a deal breaker IMO.

Got to 110 shrines so far, without the sensor or any help outside the game. A few about-to-be shrine pedestals are head scratchers.

200+ hours of play. 0.o A first/most for any game I've played, at least of recent memory.

My main goal was finishing the main quest, and as much side quests and shrines without a guide/walkthrough.

I'm pretty early game (15 spirit orbs total, I guess?) and just used every weapon I had and all my good shields fighting and eventually killing a Guardian Mk. III (or whatever) in the A Major Test of Strength Trial in the shrine in the ocean in the bottom right of the map. I got two super powerful weapons that I'm sure I'll never feel comfortable using and some climbing armor.

Was this a bad decision? Should I reload? I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Edit: You know what? I'm gonna live with my decision and my accomplishment. I may have used up some decent weapons and shields and restorative items in the fight but part of the fun is finding new weapons and burning through your stock. So I have a few more clubs and sticks than I'd expect at this point -- who cares. The freedom is nice. And climbing and movement is the most important thing for me, so anything I can do to improve that is appreciated.

Chinbo37

I'm pretty early game (15 spirit orbs total, I guess?) and just used every weapon I had and all my good shields fighting and eventually killing a Guardian Mk. III (or whatever) in the A Major Test of Strength Trial in the shrine in the ocean in the bottom right of the map. I got two super powerful weapons that I'm sure I'll never feel comfortable using and some climbing armor.

Was this a bad decision? Should I reload? I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Edit: You know what? I'm gonna live with my decision and my accomplishment. I may have used up some decent weapons and shields and restorative items in the fight but part of the fun is finding new weapons and burning through your stock. So I have a few more clubs and sticks than I'd expect at this point -- who cares. The freedom is nice. And climbing and movement is the most important thing for me, so anything I can do to improve that is appreciated.

No its fine. I did the same thing.

So, ummmm.

I bought the expansion pass after leaving the plateau for the first time and now when I go back, the bonus chests aren't there.

I could really use that shit. I can't believe they'd prevent me from accessing something I (technically) paid for. Anyone experience this?

No its fine. I did the same thing.

Good to hear man, thanks.

JJShadow

I just met my first walking guardian in the
Sahasra slope
and as expected, he destroyed me lol I suposse the game will eventually teach me how to fight them, right?

Burny

Sahasra slope
and as expected, he destroyed me lol I suposse the game will eventually teach me how to fight them, right?

Nope. But your survivability will increase dramatically as well as your damage output, once you start to get stronger enemies and their weapons and upgrade your clothes and armor. That leaves a lot of room for trial and error.

Other than that: The hit-the-eye trope applies and a guardian without legs isn't going to run anywhere. ;)

sazzy

Sahasra slope

Everything you need to learn about combat and the runes is in the first 4 shrines on the Great Plateau.

JJShadow

Game doesn't teach you shit.

Nope. But your survivability will increase dramatically as well as your damage output, once you start to get stronger enemies and their weapons and upgrade your clothes and armor. That leaves a lot of room for trial and error.

Other than that: The hit-the-eye trope applies and a guardian without legs isn't going to run anywhere. ;)

Everything you need to learn about combat and the runes is in the first 4 shrines on the Great Plateau.

Alright, thanks guys. I'll give it another try later following your advice about focusing the eye and legs, but I don't expect any success taking into account my best clothes have only +5 in defense lol

Krakatoa

Just found out if you
roll/push the snowballs down the hill they get larger
. Awesome attention to detail :)

On the rain issue there's areas of the map where its constantly raining, and this can get annoying, even with the max stamina. I'm hoping the next DLC gives us an instrument to control the weather.

One way to pass the rain I read about is to find a dry spot (like under an overhang), start a fire (wood + flint or fire weapon), then sit until the next day.

I haven't tried it myself, because like I said rain hasn't bothered me in a long time. I can climb pretty much anything now even if it's raining with upgraded stamina, climbing gear, and carefully timed jumps and use of resting spots (you can stand briefly even on steep slopes and recover stamina).

Ossom

Just found out if you
roll/push the snowballs down the hill they get larger
. Awesome attention to detail :)

On the rain issue there's areas of the map where its constantly raining, and this can get annoying, even with the max stamina. I'm hoping the next DLC gives us an instrument to control the weather.

I was once trying to melt a snow ball and when it go smaller the wind starter the blow it. As it rolled it got larger again. I tried to chase it, but the wind got stronger and blew it up a cliff face and the it disappeared into the wall half way up. It was pretty cool to see those little environmental effects.

LiK

I can finish the game now. Got the mission objective. Only did 43 Shrines so far. Man, Shrines are hard to find, lol

Coffinhal

50 hours in, discovered the whole map, and still only have three hearts haha
I improved the stamina so I have two wheels of it an I'm almost ready to have the third wheel #ClimbingAddict
and they take space for screenshots even on Pro mode

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The rain is annoying no matter how much stamina you have. The fact that you can climb despite it doesn't make the rain happening less often. And there's really no point for it to happen so often except for when it's related to quests.

80% of the times I fast travel to
Akkala Lab
it rains. It makes no sense, since it's not even a tropical area or something.

jariw

The rain is annoying no matter how much stamina you have. The fact that you can climb despite it doesn't make the rain happening less often. And there's really no point for it to happen so often except for when it's related to quests.

Akkala Lab

The number of rainy days in Scotland apparently is about 250 per year, for example. And places close to mountains usually get lots of rainy days.

LiK

Akkala Lab

Wish there were boots for better climbing so even if it rains, you don't slip constantly.

Wish there were boots for better climbing so even if it rains, you don't slip constantly.

There is an armor set for climbing, each piece giving you a climbing speed boost, and with all three equipped you get climbing jump stamina boost. Climb a few steps, jump, slip, repeat. Like I said I haven't found a mountain or a tower that I couldn't climb when it's raining with enough stamina, this trick, and the gear. Plus you can replenish and expand stamina with food and elixirs any time mid-climb (which I almost never need to do, but it's an easy option if you need it).

The complaints about rain are overblown. I like that the game's weather is dynamic, random, and challenges you. Stop being wussies.

ReyVGM

Can anyone help me decide?

I'm now at a point where I only have 5 maps left to uncover, 2 beasts down and 70% of memories collected. Since I know there's a 'bad' ending, I decided to head to Hyrule Castle and beat the game before completing the other stuff. However, I'm at the entrance to the Castle, it's been two days and I haven't touched the game because I don't want to ruin the experience of going through Hyrule Castle and beating Ganon at this point in the game.

So, without spoilers, can anyone tell me if it's better to leave Ganon after I've done all the story segments? I know the bad ending depends on
the memories you've collected
, so I can always leave those alone for last. But what about the beasts? Do their lasers weaken Ganon in any way? I don't want to beat the game now, but I also don't want to come once I've gone through all the story and find a pussycat Ganon weakened by 4 lasers.

Top Bottom