• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

NSESN

My switch arrived today. Played for about 5 minutes, but i have to hold myself because I still have to beat persona.

Kevtones

170 hours in. Playing without a guide, any hints or any sensors.

These were my discoveries tonight:

- Lord of the Mountain's pool (and that seriously creepy atmosphere that develops out of nowhere - cool af moment)
- Deer hunting minigame
- Alternate Stalhorse locations
- There's a bottom to the Flight Range
- Random spy NPC in Hateno
- Hebra Hiking Path

There were a bunch of other moments and shrines but the above stood out aside from the normal stuff.

The more I play the more I realize this is the GOAT until its sequel arrives.

DLC RELATED

Am I pipedreaming in thinking the DLC is going to be very substantial? With all the rumors prior to release talking about a delay, I'm thinking the team may have refocused and cut stuff in order to make the deadline.

I'm surprised to learn that climbing gear doesn't allow you to climb farther, it just makes you climb faster, but to reach a certain height takes the same amount of stamina​ as without the gear.

https://youtu.be/fe0tgCBh1Kk

So it's only a "quality of life" improvement, but it won't make climbing easier or allow you to reach higher places.

Burny

I think I know the "nuts" things you're talking about. I've found a number of them and hit them for seeds, but I don't recall spinning wheels or anything that triggered them to spawn. I assumed they were always there.

Yes, but the always visible nuts are a different pattern. I've found one spinning wheel Korok, where only two nuts were being thrown in an arch over the treetops. At quite a distance. They didn't make any sound whatsoever and visually, it was rather hard to notice them.

Rather off topic, but is there a Switch OT?, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I just bought one and I have a few hardware related questions, but I am not sure where is the best place to ask them.

pbsapeer

Banned
Just got my switch and started zelda. It's pretty overwhelming to begin with - thinking of all the possibilities and it reminds me a lot of the witcher 3 when I started that. I just don't want to miss out on anything!

One thing I was wondering was when in portable mode, do you have headphones on? How good is the sounds and music?

Thanks all

Just got my switch and started zelda. It's pretty overwhelming to begin with - thinking of all the possibilities and it reminds me a lot of the witcher 3 when I started that. I just don't want to miss out on anything!

One thing I was wondering was when in portable mode, do you have headphones on? How good is the sounds and music?

Thanks all

When I'm not alone I use my iPhone-headphones and I must say that even with those the quality of sound and music is still great.

Sh0k

I'm surprised to learn that climbing gear doesn't allow you to climb farther, it just makes you climb faster, but to reach a certain height takes the same amount of stamina​ as without the gear.

https://youtu.be/fe0tgCBh1Kk

So it's only a "quality of life" improvement, but it won't make climbing easier or allow you to reach higher places.

The climbing gear shines when you have the full set and you level it up to at least 2 stars for the extra bonus. The jumping while climbing takes one third of the stamina you need and it makes you climb farther.

Red

Thanks all
Nintendo's handhelds tend to be weak on sound, and the Switch is no exception. Wear headphones unless you're playing in a completely silent room.
Did anyone else find the first Naydra encounter super creepy?
Yes. I got goosebumps. I actually looked over my shoulder because it made me so uncomfortable and paranoid. The size of it, the music that plays, the way it's so huge that it messes with your depth perception and when you think it's right on you it just keeps getting closer, closer...

It was a unique experience.

sazzy

I remember not enjoying the Naydra encounter at all.

I did it fairly early on in the game, was still not used to the bow-and-arrow motion controls, kept worrying about breaking my bow, or running out of arrows, or running out the timer on the cold-resist buff, since I had only 1 cold-resist armor piece at the time.

In general, I've found the dragons to be fairly annoying and needlessly cumbersome to interact with.

I'm trying to save Hyrule - STOP ELECTROCUTING ME FAROSH

Rather off topic, but is there a Switch OT?, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I just bought one and I have a few hardware related questions, but I am not sure where is the best place to ask them.

There was a launch thread and it was very active but was locked recently. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349176&page=100000

Sucks that it was locked with no replacement thread. I'm sure there are plenty of new owners with little hardware questions and it wouldn't make sense to make new threads for every little question.

Yes, but the always visible nuts are a different pattern. I've found one spinning wheel Korok, where only two nuts were being thrown in an arch over the treetops. At quite a distance. They didn't make any sound whatsoever and visually, it was rather hard to notice them.

Thanks I'll look for that.

Thanks all

I only play in portable mode, in the beginning I used headphones for a while but then kind of noticed that they didn't really sound much better than the built in speakers when playing in a quiet room, so I stopped using headphones. Then after more than 100 hours of Zelda, I recently started using a bluetooth portable speaker (connected by wire to the headphone jack) and now I think it's hard for me to go back to playing with the built-in speakers. The external amplified speaker makes the sound and music sound so much deeper, richer and louder. I almost feel bad for not using it from the beginning.

The climbing gear shines when you have the full set and you level it up to at least 2 stars for the extra bonus. The jumping while climbing takes one third of the stamina you need and it makes you climb farther.

I have the whole set and have it upgraded for the bonus, and I use the jumps all the time when climbing... it's great, I love it. But if your goal is to conserve stamina/reach as high as you can, then your best bet is not to use the jumps at all, in which case the climbing gear doesn't help you climb farther.

And with the set bonus it takes half, not third, of stamina to jump.

So I just got this game the other day and remember people recommending one first Guardian over the one the game nudges you to. Without spoilers, just which part of the map do I want to head to? Northeast or south?

so, nobody knows how to increase the chances of getting a blood moon?

I read in this thread someone say to kill a bunch of the world bosses (Hinox, Talus, etc). He said the game doesn't like many of its world bosses to be dead at the same time, so it triggers a blood moon.

Here's a map of their locations if you need more help: https://rankedboost.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild/mini-boss/#central

Earlier I read someone say staying in the same area for a long time triggers it, which seems to correlate with my experience.

Anteo

So I just got this game the other day and remember people recommending one first Guardian over the one the game nudges you to. Without spoilers, just which part of the map do I want to head to? Northeast or south?

Ive seen different recommendations, basically avoid south west and north east guardians.
However my sister who rarely games went to the south west one first and it was super easy, the thing died so fast and people say its the hardest one. When I fought that one the battle was way longer but I didnt do it as my first so some sort of scaling took place there.

The north west one is great for exploration btw so do try to beat it early. I believe the game expects you to arrive there with some money at hand so dont rush there, take some time to mine/collect things on the way.

so, nobody knows how to increase the chances of getting a blood moon?

Dont: just skip days, the blood moon wont trigger that way.
Do: Defeat bosses, mine resources, clear camps the blood moon will trigger to restore those.

Dont: just skip days, the blood moon wont trigger that way.

Yesterday I had a blood moon while sleeping in Link's house. As soon as I selected "Sleep until morning" and the screen went black, the blood moon cutscene played, then I woke up in the morning.

That surprised me.

Anteo

Yesterday I had a blood moon while sleeping in Link's house. As soon as I selected "Sleep until morning" and the screen went black, the blood moon cutscene played, then I woke up in the morning.

That surprised me.

Yes you sometimes can get a blood moon if the game was going to trigger one that night. But if you already got one and try to skip days to get a new one you wont get any afaik

I whish we knew how exactly the game handles blood moons, is it a chance depending of the resources/enemies cleared? or its always after a certain amount? That would make things easier.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yes you sometimes can get a blood moon if the game was going to trigger one that night. But if you already got one and try to skip days to get a new one you wont get any afaik

I whish we knew how exactly the game handles blood moons, is it a chance depending of the resources/enemies cleared? or its always after a certain amount? That would make things easier.

Pretty sure it's dependent on enemies killed. If you kill a handful of world bosses you should spawn one on the next full moon. That's how I got that shrine done.

Anteo

Pretty sure it's dependent on enemies killed. If you kill a handful of world bosses you should spawn one on the next full moon. That's how I got that shrine done.

Yeah Im sure it depends on bosses, but how exactly, beating at least 5 = blood moon and anything less does nothing, or its lets say 10% chance for each boss you killed.

bender

What time is it?
Anyone know where I can find some Fire/Meteor Wizzrobes?

Crenel Hills maybe?

Well, I'm at 135 hours. Got 120 shrines last night (256 Korok Seeds) and mopped up all of the remaining side quests this morning. I think it's time for to for the final fight.

IronRinn

With 150+ in it and with everything done but still around 130 Korok seeds left to go for all the inventory slots (and the bridle and saddle from the fucking mounted archery track unclaimed) it was pretty much shit or get off the pot time for me, so I went and finally got the Hylian shield and finished the game. One of the best Zelda games I've ever played though it came at the expense of the story. If the next one can keep this gameplay and have an impactful, memorable story they may never want to make another game for the series again and just go out on top.

Is there a reward for completing the compendium? That seems like something I won't bother to do, unless there's a pretty good reward for it.

Anteo

Is there a reward for completing the compendium? That seems like something I won't bother to do, unless there's a pretty good reward for it.

This is the game that gives you gold shit for getting all seeds.
Of course there is a reward. Of course it isnt good, imagine if they locked something good behind that, eff that.

Xun

For those who have completed the main story, have you continued playing the game?

I've done all of the beasts and collected all of the memories
(including the 13th)
, but I'm a bit worried about putting the game down once I've finished the story...

I never went back to MGSV after completing the story, but I'm hoping this will be different.

breadtruck

"Beat" the game today.

What a great experience. I wish I could spend more time with it, but I dont own one of the Nintendo systems I need. I was only able to play it because a coworker-friend borrowed me his Wii-U to play it. Because of this, I mostly main-lined the game, so theres a ton of things I never bothered with. Maybe if the Switch becomes worth purchase to me, I can go back to BotW and do the things I skipped out on.

Damn, just beat Thunderblight Ganon after more attempts than I'd like to admit to. He was tough.
I personally feel he was
the hardest boss I fought in this game, including end boss.
That 3rd phase was enough of a pain that it convinced me to
leave the Beast and find Rubber armor.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
For those who have completed the main story, have you continued playing the game?

I've done all of the beasts and collected all of the memories
(including the 13th)
, but I'm a bit worried about putting the game down once I've finished the story...

I never went back to MGSV after completing the story, but I'm hoping this will be different.
I made sure to get all the shrines and side quests, don't skimp on the side quests, some are amazingly entertaining.

170 hours in. Playing without a guide, any hints or any sensors.

These were my discoveries tonight:

- Lord of the Mountain's pool (and that seriously creepy atmosphere that develops out of nowhere - cool af moment)
- Deer hunting minigame
- Alternate Stalhorse locations
- There's a bottom to the Flight Range
- Random spy NPC in Hateno
- Hebra Hiking Path

There were a bunch of other moments and shrines but the above stood out aside from the normal stuff.

The more I play the more I realize this is the GOAT until its sequel arrives.

DLC RELATED

Am I pipedreaming in thinking the DLC is going to be very substantial? With all the rumors prior to release talking about a delay, I'm thinking the team may have refocused and cut stuff in order to make the deadline.

Wait, what
spy in Hateno
?

jnWake

Just now I was exploring the region just north of Gerudo and I was getting so frustrated finding the tower. Couldn't see it from anywhere (I came from the north) and then suddenly... Holy shit this tower. I thought the game couldn't surprise me any longer!

sazzy

Hmm..

Is the cherry blossom/pond on the top of Satori Mountain a kind of a memorial to Satoru Iwata?

The little area is gorgeous, so I looked up what "satori" means, on wikipedia:

Satori (悟り?) (Chinese: 悟; pinyin: wù; Korean: 오 o; Vietnamese: ngộ) is a Japanese Buddhist term for awakening, "comprehension; understanding".[1] It is derived from the Japanese verb satoru.[2]

Insaniac

Does an official clean version of this song exist anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Is it even in the game?

Hmm..

Is the cherry blossom/pond on the top of Satori Mountain a kind of a memorial to Satoru Iwata?

The little area is gorgeous, so I looked up what "satori" means, on wikipedia:

It's assumed that this is an homage to Iwata. There is an NPC that tells you about Satori mountain who looks a lot like Iwata.

Exentryk

First shrine gameplay spoilers:

I went to the first shrine in BotW
(magnesis one)
, and spent about 15 mins trying to figure out how to
get that lone treasure chest high above. Kept trying to stack blocks and slates in various ways, but no dice. Until finally I just happened to hit the chest and drop it from the ledge. And then I realized that I can just move the chest itself.
300421118190288896.png

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
First shrine gameplay spoilers:

I went to the first shrine in BotW
(magnesis one)
, and spent about 15 mins trying to figure out how to
get that lone treasure chest high above. Kept trying to stack blocks and slates in various ways, but no dice. Until finally I just happened to hit the chest and drop it from the ledge. And then I realized that I can just move the chest itself.
300421118190288896.png
Hey, at least you saw it.

90 hours before I decided enough was enough and finished it. This game was great.

I would kill for a remake of the first Zelda with this engine.

Nictel

Around the same time that I found it. Wasn't a surprise though as it was my first time in that region.

I hadn't been there either that much, though I had explored all around it. I was mostly surprised since you can see the nearby shrine so well from the tower and I somehow missed that.

Top Bottom