• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Finally got around to doing one of the Divine Beasts earlier,
Vah Naboris

Are they all as good as that one? Because that one was really fucking good.

Seal surfing
around it's legs and dodging it's attack.
Getting inside, figuring out the whole puzzle and solving it. Whole thing was really well designed, especially figuring out that to
rotate the inside of the divine beast I had to go into the map screen
Then to top it off, the boss fight against
ThunderBlight Ganon
was actually decently challenging. I wouldn't call it hard since I did it in my first try, however it was fun and again well designed.

On that note, the Yiga Clan hideout was easy as hell. Seen a lot of people complaining about the stealth section but it was legit "ez", I also found it fun since the Yiga are goofy bastards with banana addictions.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
finally got the switch with this game a few day ago, having a blast so far, but I am having quite a bit of an issue to get used to control (I played a lot of wiiU games, but not this game on wiiU). also died quite a few time, some of the fights so far are pretty intense.

atr0cious

Nintendo really shit the bed with the terrible main story stuff in BOTW. Just 4 dungeons, they're all easy, they're all way too short...
I see this said a lot, but I just finished my first beast,
rito
, which is largely considered to be the weakest, and there wasn't a moment about that whole experience that felt lacking in comparison to other 3D zelda.

First of all, the run up is great. The theme is beautiful,
you meet a new village who doesn't know who you are and actually a little incredulous to your intentions are first.
And then after a little training,
you're flying in the fucking air, dodging lasers.
And the beasts layout is a masterwork. Instead of an inorganic building with leaves on the walls, this place is all built with a singular vision of
allowing flight
. At one point,
I flew from one end to to the other
and I had to stop and marvel at how that was possible. It makes even more sense when you think about who the driver is for the thing. Just brilliant. And all the puzzles were as involved, and a bit more clever than the average dungeon.

I'm playing with only 3 hearts, but I was still surprised by how often I died after seeing so many saying the bosses are all too easy. I guess you could run away and plink him with bomb arrows, but the layout allowed for and maybe taught some different gameplay styles.

Just not seeing how this is a weaker entry in those regards.

You don't have to beat the 4 Giant things.

Is there a group who prefers the old Zelda style? I want to join them. I think its a beautiful game but not really what I like about Zelda. Maybe I should try more side quests. I wish the world was..... more compact. Hoping for a MM style sequel, more contained and better story/characters/world.

jnWake

That heart quest made no sense.
You have to shoot the pidestal at noon.

How did it not make sense? The song is very clear about what do honestly.
It says to look at the heart in the pillar and the place where it shines which is the pedestal. Then it says to warm the pedestal

Hoo, I saw that weird foresty ruins place to the north, figured I check it out and see what's up.

I didn't expect a pitch-black shrine quest.
What a thrill!

You can't use those powers in shrine.

Hmmm. There's a chest high up on a wooden platform that I can't quite reach... I thought a fire arrow would do the trick but didn't seem to work. So I thought maybe I need the power to create updrafts... I guess I need to go back and think about it again.

Another question, do Rito weapons/shields have special advantages? Their description says they're designed for aerial combat, but their stats are so low compared to what else I have so I'm wondering if I should bother holding on to them?

Nictel

That heart quest made no sense.
You have to shoot the pidestal at noon.
Thanks.

It makes some sense.
At noon, the shadow forms the shadow of a heart.

I figured it out before I got the quest though by accidentally
lighting a fire on it when I noticed the pedestal light up with the heart on it. I had an inkling that since it was a heart, I'd have to do something with fire.

The song really makes it sounds like you need to shoot the heart though.

Hmmm. There's a chest high up on a wooden platform that I can't quite reach... I thought a fire arrow would do the trick but didn't seem to work. So I thought maybe I need the power to create updrafts... I guess I need to go back and think about it again.

Another question, do Rito weapons/shields have special advantages? Their description says they're designed for aerial combat, but their stats are so low compared to what else I have so I'm wondering if I should bother holding on to them?

Perhaps its suspended by chains/ropes. Sometimes fire arrows don't work then.

How often are you in aerial combat? The bow comes in use with the divine beast but after that I see little use for it.

---

I got four shrines left and no idea where to find them. I'll probably spend another day looking before I resort to a guide.

Kangi

120 shrines more-or-less completed.

Looked the last three up. Figures one would be in Hyrule Castle, which I was avoiding until completing the shrines. The other two were in the Gerudo area, and were neither part of shrine quests nor show up on the sensor. One was even in an area I had already been to, but hadn't noticed the method of making a shrine suddenly appear...

I think, after 100 hours, it's time to finish.

atr0cious

You were right about the arrows, just make sure they're setting fire to the wood, may have to shoot a few. There's usually leaves there as well you should be able to set off. If it has the leg supports, shoot them.

Also rito bows draw back quicker and later after story things, get super good.

jariw

Nintendo really shit the bed with the terrible main story stuff in BOTW. Just 4 dungeons, they're all easy, they're all way too short, the final fight is disappointing, and the ending is painfully unmemorable. It's just that everything else is incredible, best in the entire series, otherwise this would have easily been the worst 3D Zelda.

The main story is much more than the cut scenes related to the divine beasts. The things the NPCs reveal, reading the diaries, the memories gives more main story (backstory) than the divine beasts do.

Malo

Banned
After 105 hours, I finally beat it. Did all the memories, shrines, divine beasts, and got the master sword. Little disappointed with the ending like many here, but what a game.

It's my favorite Zelda game of all time and one of the best games I've played in years.

mrkgoo

I've been away from BotW for 5 weeks, and have returned to it. why does my wolf link Amiibo now have 3 hearts? Do I have to play TPHD recently? I had a 20 heart wolf before.

Firenze1

Banned
Thanks.

The song really makes it sounds like you need to shoot the heart though.

Perhaps its suspended by chains/ropes. Sometimes fire arrows don't work then.

How often are you in aerial combat? The bow comes in use with the divine beast but after that I see little use for it.

---

I got four shrines left and no idea where to find them. I'll probably spend another day looking before I resort to a guide.
Yes i shot the heart as well

LiK

Been binging on Shrines. I'm using the IGN Shrine map and it's helping me so much. Finding them manually is a pain in the ass. Some are so well hidden. Still doing most challenges blind tho and they're fun. Well, most of them.

Regginator

I see this said a lot, but I just finished my first beast,
rito
, which is largely considered to be the weakest, and there wasn't a moment about that whole experience that felt lacking in comparison to other 3D zelda.

First of all, the run up is great. The theme is beautiful,
you meet a new village who doesn't know who you are and actually a little incredulous to your intentions are first.
And then after a little training,
you're flying in the fucking air, dodging lasers.
And the beasts layout is a masterwork. Instead of an inorganic building with leaves on the walls, this place is all built with a singular vision of
allowing flight
. At one point,
I flew from one end to to the other
and I had to stop and marvel at how that was possible. It makes even more sense when you think about who the driver is for the thing. Just brilliant. And all the puzzles were as involved, and a bit more clever than the average dungeon.

I'm playing with only 3 hearts, but I was still surprised by how often I died after seeing so many saying the bosses are all too easy. I guess you could run away and plink him with bomb arrows, but the layout allowed for and maybe taught some different gameplay styles.

Just not seeing how this is a weaker entry in those regards.

I'm confused. Do you mean Vah Ruto (water) of the
Zora
people, or Vah Medoh (air) of the
Rito
people?

If you meant Vah Ruto, that was the only one that was a wee bit challenging. At least for me, because it was my first one and I was a little dumbstruck and didn't see some obvious stuff. The
water changing
mechanics also give it another layer of challenge. But in general, when you complete one and know what to look for, all others become a piece of cake.

But if you meant Vah Medoh, there's a reason why most people consider it the weakest/easiest. I was specifically not talking about aesthetics or soundtrack, but the actual dungeon and puzzle design. All four of them lack the complexity of other Zelda dungeons, but Vah Medoh really takes it to another level. There's zero complexity in there, I mean the dungeons literally have maps with all five activation points, they literally chew it out for you. Usually there's some work to do, or a blocked way that you have to open with some kind of puzzle, but in Vah Medoh's case it was mostly literally straightforward or doing some painfully easy "puzzle" before you can activate a point.

Regginator

The main story is much more than the cut scenes related to the divine beasts. The things the NPCs reveal, reading the diaries, the memories gives more main story (backstory) than the divine beasts do.

Okay, then they shit the bed a little less. Come on, you know what I mean. I'm aware the main story is more than that, the lore was good, a lot of depth in the world, characters were amazing, etc. etc. But dungeons, the final fight, and the ending usually form a huge, substantial part of the main story in a Zelda game, at least for me, and BOTW did a mediocre job handling those three aspects.

Finally got around to doing one of the Divine Beasts earlier,
Vah Naboris

Are they all as good as that one? Because that one was really fucking good.

Seal surfing
around it's legs and dodging it's attack.
Getting inside, figuring out the whole puzzle and solving it. Whole thing was really well designed, especially figuring out that to
rotate the inside of the divine beast I had to go into the map screen
Then to top it off, the boss fight against
ThunderBlight Ganon
was actually decently challenging. I wouldn't call it hard since I did it in my first try, however it was fun and again well designed.

On that note, the Yiga Clan hideout was easy as hell. Seen a lot of people complaining about the stealth section but it was legit "ez", I also found it fun since the Yiga are goofy bastards with banana addictions.

Unfortunately that's probably the best Beast/Boss. That is definitely the hardest boss fight in the game and probably the coolest lead up to the beast as well. That whole area seems to have a disproportionate amount of work compared to say the Rito.

Regginator

Unfortunately that's probably the best Beast/Boss. That is definitely the hardest boss fight in the game and probably the coolest lead up to the beast as well. That whole area seems to have a disproportionate amount of work compared to say the Rito.

All lead-ups were great, besides Vah Rudania which I found to be a little meh. Favourite one has to be Vah Medoh for me,
soaring high in the sky with bomb arrows
and shit, with Vah Nabooris a close second.

All lead-ups were great, besides Vah Rudania which I found to be a little meh. Favourite one has to be Vah Medoh for me,
soaring high in the sky with bomb arrows
and shit, with Vah Nabooris a close second.

Really the only one I dislike was Rudania, I just think (Beast approach spoiler)
surfing around while this giant moving beast hurls lightning at you
kind of dwarfs some of the others which felt a little easier.

Li Kao

My switch is being delivered tomorrow, so I have a little question : is the US digital Breath of the Wild multi language or is it English only ?

LiK

My switch is being delivered tomorrow, so I have a little question : is the US digital Breath of the Wild multi language or is it English only ?

It's multi-language now. They patched it recently. Just make sure to let it autoupdate before playing.

Li Kao

It's multi-language now. They patched it recently. Just make sure to let it autoupdate before playing.

Thanks, I think I could save 15 bucks by going US. Nothing to scoff at. As much as not buying a single physical game on launch anymore is troubling me, well, 15 bucks would go a decent way toward a second game. And I'm really not convinced of the resale value of a game that must have a delirious attach rate.

Game has been great to pick up for 30 minutes to an hour and explore. Probably keep at it that way for the whole year.

That has not been my experience at all. Game sucks me for hours on end every time.

This game is nuts. I have been meaning to fight a divine beast for weeks, but I keep getting distracted and end up spending hours doing all kinds of other things, every day. Just found myself in Hyrule Castle and spent hours destroying Guardians (for their parts, need cores) even though I had no intention of going near the castle any time soon... there's something to do and chase in any direction you look in this massive world.

That Weapon Connoisseur side quest...for some reason I can't find a basic ass Moblin Club. They either have Boko Bats or some other variant of the clubs (spiked etc). D<

I'm so fucking done with the rain in this game.

I'm totally down with the weapon durability system but the rain is seriously killing a lot of my enjoyment when I've only got, like, 20 minutes to play on my lunch break and the one thing I wanted to do is made impossible due to rain. And I can't even wait it out because there's no cover anywhere and the rain will put out my fire. So my only option is to abandon the one thing I wanted to do to search for something else or fast travel to an inn where I can advance time then fast travel back to a near-ish shrine and find my way back to where I was. Oops! Looks like times up! Back to work. >:[

Just finished the game. I'm still debating whether or not this has overtaken Shadow of the Colossus as my favorite game of all time, but it's pretty high up there. I also don't get a lot of the complaints about the story. Yeah it's a simple story, but it's very well told and the
subtle romance between Zelda and Link is just beautiful and really heartwarming

Also, (obvious spoilers about the end) I love how Zelda in the game is
brilliantly the true hero. She's the one battling Ganon all this time, she's the one who defeats him in the end, she's the one that even enables your adventure. You're basically playing as the side character. In the end, there's one bit where she calls you the hero of Hyrule, but that felt more like a hint by the developers that you're in fact not. She is. And the camera zooming out showing the silent princess was also beautifully poetic about how she's silently the one who saved the world. It's very sensitive and I thought it was very empowering in a poetic way, not the game banging our head saying WOMEN ARE STRONG GODDAMNIT but actually respecting our intelligence to figure out the message. It saddens me that this bit on the story might go largely ignored over time.

Anteo

Just finished the game. I'm still debating whether or not this has overtaken Shadow of the Colossus as my favorite game of all time, but it's pretty high up there. I also don't get a lot of the complaints about the story. Yeah it's a simple story, but it's very well told and the
subtle romance between Zelda and Link is just beautiful and really heartwarming

Also, (obvious spoilers about the end) I love how Zelda in the game is
brilliantly the true hero. She's the one battling Ganon all this time, she's the one who defeats him in the end, she's the one that even enables your adventure. You're basically playing as the side character. In the end, there's one bit where she calls you the hero of Hyrule, but that felt more like a hint by the developers that you're in fact not. She is. And the camera zooming out showing the silent princess was also beautifully poetic about how she's silently the one who saved the world. It's very sensitive and I thought it was very empowering in a poetic way, not the game banging our head saying WOMEN ARE STRONG GODDAMNIT but actually respecting our intelligence to figure out the message. It saddens me that this bit on the story might go largely ignored over time.

I wonder how much of a liberty the translators for each language took because
on the spanish dub she asks links if he can hear the sword like the chosen hero is suposed to, then in the last memory she is the one talking to the sword.

I dont think is quite the same question in the english dub.

Is there any 'end-game'/quest completion to giving Beedle the Energetic Rhino Beetles he's crazy about? I'm not interested in the crappy items he offers in exchange...

LiK

Finished the game as well. Beat the final boss first try. That was an amazing battle. Not as frustrating as that one Divine Beast boss battle. You guys know what i'm talking about.

I might try to get all the Shrines when I feel the itch to play more.

Zero²

Just discovered you can destroy the wooden chests to open them instead of actually opening them. And I discovered how to make objects come forward and backwards with magnesis, I feel so dumb for taking this long to do it hahah

Just got to the forest around Rutile Lake (near Satori Mountain)... Oh my God it's so beautiful. I thought nothing would rival Korok Forest or Lost Woods in beauty, but this game never ceases to amaze me.

And holy shit this place is so densly packed with collectibles, it's overwhelming.

On another note, I got 4 star fragments in one play session tonight (3 fell out of the sky and one was given by NPC). Wasn't even looking for them.

So far:

112 shrines
175 Korok seeds
All 4 Divine Beasts done

Never used the Shrine sensor for any of the shrines yet...trying not to start now. 300+ hours

Effect

Nice. Pretty sure you couldn't do this before but noticed you can now mark different images in your album for deletion instead of having to delete them all one by one.

Does upgrading the Ancient armor matter if I'll only wear it when fighting guardians? Since it has "Guardian Resist Up" property, I'm wondering if the numerical defense value of the armor also applies for guardian attacks, or is it just for damage from other enemies? I ask because the game seems to treat guardians differently&#8203;, for example normally with the Master Sword it takes two hits to break any guardian leg. I thought I could reduce it to one hit with an attack buff, but even with a high-level attack boost invoked the legs still took two strikes with the Master Sword... So no change and the meal was wasted. If upgrading the ancient armor doesn't increase my defense against Guardians specifically, then I don't want to spend my ancient cores on that right now. Since I can upgrade other armor to the same level with more easily obtainable parts.

Anyone know?

So far:

112 shrines
175 Korok seeds
All 4 Divine Beasts done

Never used the Shrine sensor for any of the shrines yet...trying not to start now. 300+ hours

Whoa, respect. I've been using it a lot, and now I feel bad about it :p

Top Bottom