• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Mohonky

Finished the game at 55 hours. What a ride

But man, I only did 41 shrines and I swear I looked EVERYWHERE

Where the hell are the other 80?! This game is huuuge

You musnt have done much exploring.

If you only found 41 Shrines, theres got to be monstrous amounts of the map you havent been too, you've likely missed hundreds of cool things in the game world

andthebeatgoeson

I don't think I'll finish this game for some time. There's just so much content, places to explore, things to discover, etc. More than 35hrs in and haven't even seen a dungeon or explored more than half the land. The problem is my OCD , I want to explore everywhere before I complete it, so I'll easily put 100hrs into it. But the great thing is I haven't been bored once.

Maybe more. You can ride thru an area, get pulled into another direction, come back and realize you've only seen a speck.

I could put in 200 hours and not finish.

Dragons must be gated behind a quest trigger. There must be some main quest line branch that must be completed before they spawn.

Naydra is always present near Hateno village, until its shrine quest is complete. It then disappears to never return. No other dragons appear. I have spent literally seven hours trying to make Farosh spawn. Not fake literally. Literally literally. I have tried every guide and bit of advice I can find through google. I have repeated youtube walk throughs dozens of times. It never spawns. Naydra too is completely absent since clearing it of malice. I reset my switch hours ago, thinking the spawns must be bugged. But nope. Still nothing.

I can only speculate why they don't spawn. My feeling is they don't appear until some early quest trigger occurs. Maybe the visit to Impa in Kakariko. I have done no main story quest since leaving the plateau. That's the only reason I can think might stop them from appearing.

I'm currently farming the dragons and I discovered this: their spawns are based on position. Where you are seems to determine them spawning. It isn't based on time of day like most guides seem to say, but there does seem to be the limit of acquiring ONE piece of a dragon per in game day. This might also only work As long as you've done their shrines.

You musnt have done much exploring.

If you only found 41 Shrines, theres got to be monstrous amounts of the map you havent been too, you've likely missed hundreds of cool things in the game world

I've unlocked the entire map and every tower.

I mean yeah there obviously is huge chunks I didn't explore but I have no idea where they are! I feel like I was so thorough.

Lemaitre

Banned
Maybe more. You can ride thru an area, get pulled into another direction, come back and realize you've only seen a speck.

I could put in 200 hours and not finish.

I'm at like 140 hours and this train just ain't stopping. I also have another game I started from scratch......oh dear.

Burny

I've unlocked the entire map and every tower.

You can unlock every tower and still have only explored a fraction of the map.

Were you in Korok forest? Several shrines in a small space. Have you visited the labyrinth areas which are clearly visible on the map? Did you climb the mountain north of the desert? Did you visit the islands? Did you traverse the jungle?

The shrines are not always visible immediately. Some are buried and only appear once you solve a quest.

But at 41 shrines it's clear you haven't explored the map thoroughly.

Nictel

Yes but they give a reasoning for that in
the dead sages. Ganondorf cannot touch the blade, so he goes after the sages to prevent it's edge.
That's kinda what I expected.

If you see
the four chosen ones as sages it is very similar. Though it is never explicitly said.
This is also the first game he has lost to Ganon (where as in WW the hero didn't show up) so the limits of the sword have never been explored like this. Though hammering on a lot of Guardians doesn't seem to healthy. Of course the sword wearing out is partly a game mechanic to keep the other weaponry from losing its value.

How do I start the quest?
Once you complete all the side quests in the book, the final quest *should* trigger as soon as you approach Impa's house (iirc the Guard outside will look distraught, then you go inside.) Note: I'm not sure, but you *might* have to clear the Yiga Hideout first, but maybe not (I know I did.)

You can unlock every tower and still have only explored a fraction of the map.

Where you in Korok forest? Several shrines in a small space. Have you visited the labyrinth areas which are clearly visible on the map? Did you climb the mountain north of the desert? Did you travel around the borders if the desert? Did you visit the islands in the sea? Did you traverse the jungle?

The shrines are not always visible immediately. Some are buried and only appear once you solve a quest.

But at 41 shrines it's clear you haven't explored the map thoroughly.

Again I know it's obvious I haven't.

I was just saying what a reflection it is on the size of the game that I feel like I did and yet I barely scraped the surface

Nictel

I'm currently farming the dragons and I discovered this: their spawns are based on position. Where you are seems to determine them spawning. It isn't based on time of day like most guides seem to say, but there does seem to be the limit of acquiring ONE piece of a dragon per in game day. This might also only work As long as you've done their shrines.

Yes and no:
The ice dragon I got to spawn three times in a row by going up the waterfall but then it wouldn't show up whatever I did.
I think there is a spawn limit per period between blood moons and this limit resets with a blood moon.

Thanks guys! I'll check where/when you suggested.

I'll tell you what I think is going to be even tougher to track down are the Star Fragments. I think I've only collected one the entire time I've been playing. Where/how do I find more of those?
You can get two star fragments from side quests iirc

1 of them is from a girl at Outskirt Stable. Just talk to her when you have the Master Sword.

Another one is at Woodland Stable. There's a kid who wants you to make a barrel float with a octoballoon

There's also one you can find at Snowstable. Feed the light furred dog and it'll lead you to a chest with a star fragment.

There's also a star fragment in a chest in zoeas domain but I forget where exactly

Mistle

Dragons
must be gated behind a quest trigger. There must be some main quest line branch that must be completed before they spawn.

Naydra is always present near Hateno village, until its shrine quest is complete. It then disappears to never return. No other dragons appear. I have spent literally seven hours trying to make Farosh spawn. Not fake literally. Literally literally. I have tried every guide and bit of advice I can find through google. I have repeated youtube walk throughs dozens of times. It never spawns. Naydra too is completely absent since clearing it of malice. I reset my switch hours ago, thinking the spawns must be bugged. But nope. Still nothing.

I can only speculate why they don't spawn. My feeling is they don't appear until some early quest trigger occurs. Maybe the visit to Impa in Kakariko. I have done no main story quest since leaving the plateau. That's the only reason I can think might stop them from appearing.
Why have you spent so much time hunting for the
dragons
before even kicking the games story off properly? Not knowing about them and stumbling upon them during my natural progression of the game was so magical the first few times. I feel like you've ruined the moment the game was trying to give you by obsessing over them before you're even supposed to know about them.

I guess they're locked behind a super-early game trigger, as to not distract you and steer you away from Kakariko Village. I know the world is open and that's awesome, but the designers do a lot to push you towards Impa and get the proper quest rolling.

I might be wrong on this but it's the only explanation beyond a really bugged copy of the game. Going to the lengths you have, you should have definitely seen one by now.

Koren

I'll tell you what I think is going to be even tougher to track down are the Star Fragments. I think I've only collected one the entire time I've been playing. Where/how do I find more of those?
Beside the two suggested above, there's also at least one in a
chest on a cliff in the east part of the map
although I couldn't tell exactly where :(

Dekutulla

The
first entrance into the Lost Woods
has got to be one of the best sequences I've ever seen in
the Lost Woods
in Zelda before, and possibly just Zelda as a whole. Goddamn, what an amazing game.

random25

There are 2 quests that give you star fragments as rewards. One is pretty easy though I can't remember what it is, the other one is
a lady at the stables after you get the master sword
. There's also one that you can get from a treasure chest though I can't remember where too lol.

Best way to farm late in the game is by silver lynels. They sometimes drop one, and if so lucky they sometimes drop 2 per kill.

Dragons must be gated behind a quest trigger. There must be some main quest line branch that must be completed before they spawn.

I'm fairly certain that the
dragon
spawns are gated behind completing the Divine Beasts (not necessarily all; I'm not sure which corresponds to which). I also spent hours trying to find them out in the world, as I played the game like you did, completing most of it without ever entering the dungeons or visiting
Impa
(including activating all Great Fairies and finishing nearly all available shrines, like the one at
the Spring of Wisdom
), and never saw them out in the world until I finally ticked off some items in the main quest.

I believe the lock is
the Divine Beasts and not Impa
based on my own order of completion before they began to appear, though I'll have to check my screenshots and notes to confirm.

Why have you spent so much time hunting for the
dragons
before even kicking the games story off properly? Not knowing about them and stumbling upon them during my natural progression of the game was so magical the first few times. I feel like you've ruined the moment the game was trying to give you by obsessing over them before you're even supposed to know about them.

Some of us don't care to follow orders or obvious tutorial paths. You are also able to find out about them independently via
cleansing Naydra for the Spring of Wisdom shrine
, plus all the hints from NPCs in the world (including picking up shrine quests that point you to
the Springs of Courage and Power
, or seeing the ingredients for
fully upgrading the Barbarian set
), without ever doing anything related to the main quest.

Not a bug, just a rare case of a main quest lock (and not the only one; about 8-10 shrines can't be completed if you play like I did and don't touch any main quests after leaving the Plateau apart from unlocking towns, and I know this for a fact).

You need to put the Switch to sleep less often with Zelda running. To avoid the bug, just remember to restart the game every so often.

I'm not sure this is correct. I put the Switch to sleep all the time (and never loaded any other software until the Splatoon Testfire) over my first three weeks of play, and there was no correlation to the Blood Moon glitch, which does settle down after a few incidences. My theory all along has been that it has something to do with an internal counter coming out of sync if you hang out in areas where the Blood Moon haze effect appears overnight but doesn't trigger a respawn, like
Hyrule Castle
, as that's the closest thing I've seen to a reliable cause. It gets back in sync after the glitch triggers a few times.

Mistle

Fair enough. I guess it's not clear how little progression you make by visiting Impa until you do it, she pretty much just gives you the big main quest and then you're on your own to do as you please. I think this games openness is brilliant but there are benefits to be had to just go along and finish the first post-plateau quest and truly unlock the world for what it is, all content available. But I guess there was no way of knowing that, so I place no fault on the player.
It's damn fun to run the opposite direction or scale a mountain instead of taking the path, but in my experience there are some very well designed paths in this game that'd be a shame to skip. Not directly related to what you said, just a tangential thought.

Also, I saw them in the wild before doing my first beast, so my guess is on Impa being the lock.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
infinite arrow farming is a godsend
What's the method?

Appreciate the help everyone.

Explore, do sidequests, shrines, unlock map with towers, and if you do that divine beast in Zora, you'll get an extra
health
which is helpful early on. Basically once you reach a point where you are comfortable with the game, you won't be confused about where to go.

Burny

Again I know it's obvious I haven't.

I was just saying what a reflection it is on the size of the game that I feel like I did and yet I barely scraped the surface

The good thing is: You have still so much cool things to find! Provided you're still motivated to keep playing the game. :)

As a hint for exploring, if you're really unsure what you haven't seen yet: Inspect the map closely. I've found tons of thing just by looking at the map. A small pond with a peculiar shape? A lonely island somewhere out on the sea? Some strangely shaped structures in the mountains?

Exploring towards these POIs and not getting sidetracked too hard shows so much of the game world.

Grampasso

Easiest way to "farm" them:
At night keep an eye on your surroundings at night, especially from high places, you'll sometimes spot a ray of light coming from somewhere in the distance (you can even see them falling down from the sky). Reach the glowing spot before daylight and you'll find a star fragment. I did it once and it had fallen near Wetland Stable. The next one I spotted was from Gerudo Highlands. I think they are available pretty much in every region, just pay attentions to them

_Clash_

Just found my
master sword
hype!

Please tell me I wasn't the only one to start chopping grass and whirlwind attacking whth it for the first time in the game, just like a kid in ocarina! Haha

Beautiful moment all round

Fair enough. I guess it's not clear how little progression you make by visiting Impa until you do it, she pretty much just gives you the big main quest and then you're on your own to do as you please. I think this games openness is brilliant but there are benefits to be had to just go along and finish the first post-plateau quest and truly unlock the world for what it is, all content available. But I guess there was no way of knowing that, so I place no fault on the player.
It's damn fun to run the opposite direction or scale a mountain instead of taking the path, but in my experience there are some very well designed paths in this game that'd be a shame to skip. Not directly related to what you said, just a tangential thought.

Also, I saw them in the wild before doing my first beast, so my guess is on Impa being the lock.

You may be right about the lock, then.

I can attest that the designers anticipated the possibility that you would ignore the first post-Plateau quest for most of the game, though, as
I completed all Divine Beasts before meeting Impa for the first time
and found that it is indeed recognized in the dialogue.

Really, the only things that handicap the player for going absolutely everywhere else in the world first (which is what I did) are the following:
not meeting Hestu on the road into Kakariko to unlock additional inventory slots; not meeting the "first" Great Fairy; not encountering the shrine that teaches you how to dodge and parry; not unlocking the camera, Slate upgrades, and Tech Labs (along with the furnaces for the blue flames); and not accessing the shrines that are locked behind the camera or the Kakariko side quests.
And only the last two of these are strictly quest-locked. It's pretty obvious from NPC interactions (like people giving you basic introductory tips) that there is a clear suggested tutorial path once you leave the Plateau, but you can play nearly the whole game without it just fine.

In any case, one of the strongest things about BotW is that it caters very well to players like me who see quest objectives come up and immediately think, "That's where I'll go last." It's not skipping a path; it's saving it for last and seeing how much the game will let you do in the meantime. BotW is better about rewarding this style of play without putting up any walls than just about any game I can think of. So a lot of aimless wandering does happen when you encounter things like
the hints about the dragons or lighting the blue flames at the Tech Labs, or a handful of shrine quests that are locked behind the Beasts
, which are hinted at in the world but passively unavailable to the player without providing any signal that they are, at that stage, supposed to be unavailable.

The_Lump

Banned
Just found my
master sword
hype!

Please tell me I wasn't the only one to start chopping grass and whirlwind attacking whth it for the first time in the game, just like a kid in ocarina! Haha

Beautiful moment all round

You weren't the only one :) I spent a good few minutes just twirling it around, looking badass,
taking selfies *hangs head in shame*

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm fairly certain that the
dragon
spawns are gated behind completing the Divine Beasts (not necessarily all; I'm not sure which corresponds to which). I also spent hours trying to find them out in the world, as I played the game like you did, completing most of it without ever entering the dungeons or visiting
Impa
(including activating all Great Fairies and finishing nearly all available shrines, like the one at
the Spring of Wisdom
), and never saw them out in the world until I finally ticked off some items in the main quest.

I believe the lock is
the Divine Beasts and not Impa
based on my own order of completion before they began to appear, though I'll have to check my screenshots and notes to confirm.

Some of us don't care to follow orders or obvious tutorial paths. You are also able to find out about them independently via
cleansing Naydra for the Spring of Wisdom shrine
, plus all the hints from NPCs in the world (including picking up shrine quests that point you to
the Springs of Courage and Power
, or seeing the ingredients for
fully upgrading the Barbarian set
), without ever doing anything related to the main quest.

Not a bug, just a rare case of a main quest lock (and not the only one; about 8-10 shrines can't be completed if you play like I did and don't touch any main quests after leaving the Plateau apart from unlocking towns, and I know this for a fact).

I'm not sure this is correct. I put the Switch to sleep all the time (and never loaded any other software until the Splatoon Testfire) over my first three weeks of play, and there was no correlation to the Blood Moon glitch, which does settle down after a few incidences. My theory all along has been that it has something to do with an internal counter coming out of sync if you hang out in areas where the Blood Moon haze effect appears overnight but doesn't trigger a respawn, like
Hyrule Castle
, as that's the closest thing I've seen to a reliable cause. It gets back in sync after the glitch triggers a few times.

I can confirm they're not gated like that.. i went in an exploration tour before tackling my first one and i had already seen two of them in my travels.

So a friend of mine completed the whole flying beast without using the map. Wat!

I did this as well.
I activated all the terminals without retrieving the map or ever using the tilt, though near the end I did grab the map before approaching the final boss so I could grab one treasure chest for which the tilt was required.
Can't do that with the other Beasts, though. And if you don't use the map, it's possible to traverse the place in a way that gets you "stuck", though this was accounted for in testing, and you respawn in a good spot if you get into a situation where you have no option but to take a bottomless fall.

I can confirm they're not gated like that.. i went in an exploration tour before tackling my first one and i had already seen two of them in my travels.

Sounds like it is indeed gated behind
visiting Impa
, then, unless you skipped that as well before exploring.

GRW810

Finished the game at 55 hours. What a ride

But man, I only did 41 shrines and I swear I looked EVERYWHERE

Where the hell are the other 80?! This game is huuuge
You must have barely explored and avoided Shrine quests.

The fact you decided to finish the game after just 55 hours contradicts your claim you looked everywhere, because some of us are still discovering locations after 100+ hours.

Why rush? Savour this game, people.

Crayolan

Yea, some of the "main" paths are really well designed.

As someone who didn't arrive in Kakariko until after clearing 3 divine beasts and beating the game once, I find it pretty interesting to see other people play and just follow the story because it makes the intended path pretty clear. They obviously want you to go between the Dueling Peaks, get the tower there (which is probably the easiest to climb off the plateau), do the shrine which teaches you that you can use cryonis to climb waterfalls, come across your first stable, catch a horse, notice Fort Hateno in the distance (which comes into play with the memories much later), meet Hestu, and of course do the combat tutorial shrine.

It's impressive how much they teach the player in a single path without any of it (other than the explicit tutorial shrine) actually feeling like a tutorial, and how densely packed that path manages to be.

What's the method?

Explore, do sidequests, shrines, unlock map with towers, and if you do that divine beast in Zora, you'll get an extra
health
which is helpful early on. Basically once you reach a point where you are comfortable with the game, you won't be confused about where to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UiBbDE7Lg

So i just finished the game.
It was great-id say a 9/10 for me personally but id also say its my least favorite zelda as well.

Grampasso

For further confirm, after reaching Hateno and being asked to go back to Impa I backtracked to the Plateau because I had rushed the main story and didn't explore much.
I looked toward north from the plateau and saw for the first time a serpentine silhouette fluctuating on a lake. I freaked out :D

Jyester

Yea, some of the "main" paths are really well designed.

As someone who didn't arrive in Kakariko until after clearing 3 divine beasts and beating the game once, I find it pretty interesting to see other people play and just follow the story because it makes the intended path pretty clear. They obviously want you to go between the Dueling Peaks, get the tower there (which is probably the easiest to climb off the plateau), do the shrine which teaches you that you can use cryonis to climb waterfalls, come across your first stable, catch a horse, notice Fort Hateno in the distance (which comes into play with the memories much later), meet Hestu, and of course do the combat tutorial shrine.

It's impressive how much they teach the player in a single path without any of it (other than the explicit tutorial shrine) actually feeling like a tutorial, and how densely packed that path manages to be.

That's really cool. How did you skip Kakariko? Did you just wander off to one of the beasts in the distance? I was actually a little lost when I met Impa and got several main quests. I thought I was supposed to gather the memories first, until I realized I could just go off and tackle everything in the order I desired.

Nictel

I did this as well.
I activated all the terminals without retrieving the map or ever using the tilt, though near the end I did grab the map before approaching the final boss so I could grab one treasure chest for which the tilt was required.
Can't do that with the other Beasts, though. And if you don't use the map, it's possible to traverse the place in a way that gets you "stuck", though this was accounted for in testing, and you respawn in a good spot if you get into a situation where you have no option but to take a bottomless fall.

Sounds like it is indeed gated behind
visiting Impa
, then, unless you skipped that as well before exploring.

Without tilt? That's pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UiBbDE7Lg

So i just finished the game.
It was great-id say a 9/10 for me personally but id also say its my least favorite zelda as well.

Ah so the max is 999. Good to know :p
Is there a max ruppee amount? XD

sanstesy

I didn't visit Impa until I got 3 beasts done as well and I never followed the roads as the climbing aspect is just way too fun for me not to utilise it to explore. The roads are kind of boring in comparison.

Crayolan

That's really cool. How did you skip Kakariko? Did you just wander off to one of the beasts in the distance? I was actually a little lost when I met Impa and got several main quests. I thought I was supposed to gather the memories first, until I realized I could just go off and tackle everything in the order I desired.

I picked a random direction to jump off the plateau and just went forward. That direction just so happened to be straight towards Hyrule Castle, and once I realized how close I was I couldn't resist trying to storm the place early. So I did, and I made it to the final boss but I gave up after a few tries. Without any spoilers, I'll just say that fighting the boss gave me a pretty good idea of where each of the dungeons was located, so I decided to go do a specific two and then come back and see if I could beat him. I was successful in my goal, and then after I beat the final boss I just kinda wandered around and eventually stumbled upon Kakariko.

pringles

I found one recently in a chest, it was guarded by some enemies on the cliffs at the eastern side of the map,
near the group of islands (Tingel Islands etc)

Jyester

I didn't visit Impa until I got 3 beasts done as well and I never followed the roads as the climbing aspect is just way too fun for me not to utilise it to explore. The roads are kind of boring in comparison.

My approach to the roads is mixed. Usually I'll start by following a path, see something in the distance, and just go somewhere completely unrelated for hours until I finally reach my intended destination. Although getting a horse and having it follow the main roads can be a fun ride too. Just screenshottin' away at the scenery.

I picked a random direction to jump off the plateau and just went forward. That direction just so happened to be straight towards Hyrule Castle, and once I realized how close I was I couldn't resist trying to storm the place early. So I did, and I made it to the final boss but I gave up after a few tries. Without any spoilers, I'll just say that fighting the boss gave me a pretty good idea of where each of the dungeons was located, so I decided to go do a specific two and then come back and see if I could beat him. I was successful in my goal, and then after I beat the final boss I just kinda wandered around and eventually stumbled upon Kakariko.

I guess I was rather conservative starting out. I found the open world a little daunting and the palace just looked too intimidating. Now, with sword in hand, 13 hearts and three beasts cleared, I feel like I could probably take him. Still, going to Death Mountain first seems like the 'right' move.

oni-link

Just a quick question about how much of the game I have left

After the
4 divine beasts
, is that pretty much it for main story missions, is it just do them and then go to
Hyrule Castle
and that's the end of the game?

Is the
Master Sword
optional?

Top Bottom