• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

guit3457

This game man...I'm in Hyrule Castle reading
Zelda's diaries

Love them, a great way to complete the lost memories.

duckroll

I'd consider most of that world design which I don't think took a hit, and I don't think the south west content is any weaker than the rest which is what I'd consider the Eighth Heroine. The Rito main quest was underdeveloped, as too their city and NPCs, especially after Gerudo. And the actual shrine content, the inside puzzles, I thought they were significantly weaker than the rest of the game's and in a lot of cases felt more like mini games than puzzles.

But the best quest in the entire game is from Rito after your clear the Divine Beast... :p

I agree the main quest at Rito was kinda weak though. The lead up to the Divine Beast is less exciting than the rest, because you just have to shoot a bunch of targets at the training spot rather than go off to do a quest to prepare.

tkscz

Took 50 hours (thought I was at 60 but I was wrong), but I've beaten Ganon, however
I forgot to go back to Impa to reveal the final memory, so when Zelda asks Link if he remember's her, the game ended with no answer. So I have to go back and get that.

Also,
disappointed that there isn't a Ganondorf. They explain why, Ganondorf was tired of the reincarnation cycle and decided to give in to his rage and allow Demise to take over, but I wanted another Wind Waker like Ganondorf.

Lastly,
still somewhat put the calamity on Zelda. It was her idea to resurrect the old Guardians and Divine beast. She was the one who felt she would never be able to use the Tri-force of Wisdom (though her parents REALLY didn't help with her self-esteem here) and thus using the old machines instead, and she only had Link around originally out of some sort of jealousy she had for his ability to handle the Master Sword/Tri-force of Courage. I can only hope the true ending has her taking responsibility for her hand in this like OoT's Zelda did.

PS:
Link x Mipha OTP

Golnei

Also,
disappointed that there isn't a Ganondorf. They explain why, Ganondorf was tired of the reincarnation cycle and decided to give in to his rage and allow Demise to take over, but I wanted another Wind Waker like Ganondorf.

I still think going with a human Ganondorf would have been a mistake, but anything would have been better than the Dark Beast Ganon fight. Calamity Ganon might have been easy, but it was still pretty fun and visually appealing. Shooting a stationary pig in a field was not quite as climactic.

Maybe a semi-incorporeal amalgam of the classic anthropomorphic,trident wielding pig Ganon with skeletal humanoid OoT Phantom Ganon would have been able to fill the void without betraying the nature of Calamity Ganon?

pringles

I never thought I'd say this but I wish there were caves to explore!

Can anybody shed any overworld design knowledge on why they were left out? Seems really odd.
I haven't personally missed caves, but that's definitely an area where there's room for improvement in the next game.

Stuff like this would fit great in the BotW world:
incredible-video-inside-hang-son-doong--the-largest-cave-in-the-world.jpg

I think they just wanted to focus on the "open-air" concept for this game and caves or even the traditional Zelda dungeons with their very closed, linear design all take away from that.

boiled goose

good with gravy
A few questions.

I'm done with the 4 main things, so is it worth going to finish main quest now and then completing questsb etc. Or should I save ending main quests till the end?

Also, of the 120, I have one missing... any easy way to track down?

I haven't personally missed caves, but that's definitely an area where there's room for improvement in the next game.

I think they just wanted to focus on the "open-air" concept for this game and caves or even the traditional Zelda dungeons with their very closed, linear design all take away from that.

I would have liked caves and difficulty locked combat focused dungeons. They don't have to be linear. They could also have specific environmental hazards. So much potential for sequels...

SpeedNut

Anyone wishing that you could free roam after the end battle to just collect and do stuff? Only did 50 shrines and found 11 seeds before finishing the story.

There aren't extensive caves, but there are small ones. I've found places behind waterfalls, narrow swimmable paths through springs, in cliffsides, behind bombable rocks. There are plenty of hidden locations in rock formations aka caves.

I don't know why there aren't extensive underground cave tunnels. Maybe they just thought Shrines fulfilled that element. Or maybe it's for another game.

tkscz

I still think going with a human Ganondorf would have been a mistake, but anything would have been better than the Dark Beast Ganon fight. Calamity Ganon might have been easy, but it was still pretty fun and visually appealing. Shooting a stationary pig in a field was not quite as climactic.

Maybe a semi-incorporeal amalgam of the classic anthropomorphic,trident wielding pig Ganon with skeletal humanoid OoT Phantom Ganon would have been able to fill the void without betraying the nature of Calamity Ganon?

I found it weird they went with Dark Beast Ganon. Yes, it's to let us know which part of the Timeline BotW takes place, and it's a nice shout out to TP, but I'd rather it had been OoT Ganon as that would've made one hell of a fight with BotW's combat system.

Completed all shrines without guides so far, about 60 down

Fateful Stars
the trickiest probably

Can you explain that one to me? It was the only one I had to look up and I still don't get it.

Boney

Banned
It's crazy how many more Korok seeds you find just by taking a slightly different path when re-scouting.

Fateful Stars solution
Count how many of each "constellations" are on the back wall. Each figure corresponds to a column as illustrated by a figure at the top of the column. Place the ball on the number that corresponds to number of that specific constellation.

Golnei

The
Bow of Light'
s shape seemed kind of conspicuously odd - given the rest of the game's frequent references to the first, entry; I wonder if there's a chance it was based on the manual artwork for the first game's bow?

z1manual-23-24.jpg

AbaFadi

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that when opening the map while you are moving Link with the left control stick that the cursor does not move unless you lift your finger off the control stick? Similar thing happened while I was ZL targeting an enemy and accessed my inventory. Is this normal?

It's crazy how many more Korok seeds you find just by taking a slightly different path when re-scouting.

Yes. I'm watching a Let's Play and following their path while I play my game with over 120 hours logged and it's amazing all the things I've missed not just Koroks. There are plenty of treasure chests and mini-bosses too.

Golnei

I found it weird they went with Dark Beast Ganon. Yes, it's to let us know which part of the Timeline BotW takes place, and it's a nice shout out to TP, but I'd rather it had been OoT Ganon as that would've made one hell of a fight with BotW's combat system.

Maybe they wanted symmetry with the rest of the Divine Beast fights - a "Scourge" boss that draws heavily on the Blights' weaponry, then an enormous static animal with glowing weak points. I'd definitely have preferred it if they dropped the parallels for the sake of a more engaging fight - I didn't even enjoy it as a setpiece.

It did at least have a great version of the main theme to accompany it.

Peltz

Why does this game need to end? I'm about to finish my third divine beast.

I'm really trying to take my time with this game but it just begs to be played and beaten at the same time. 70 hours in, and I'm still in love.

_Clash_

Can you explain that one to me? It was the only one I had to look up and I still don't get it.

They wanted you to
relate the 4 discrete constellations on the wall to a 1-5 digit by placing a ball in the corresponding value. The value for each constellation was determined by how many times it appeared in the "sky key"

Futureman

Spending good time on the Great Plateau can actually learn you very much about how to deal with the world below, in a pretty safe environment. IIRC, the only basic things that can't be learned on the plateau are about the horses and what the korok seeds you find are used for.

Create your adventure in your own time. :)

Wait... what are the Korok seeds used for? I'm about 30 hours in and have not come across yet what they are for. I've been to the Korok Forest but haven't explored much yet.

tkscz

Maybe they wanted symmetry with the rest of the Divine Beast fights - a "Scourge" boss that draws heavily on the Blights' weaponry, then an enormous static animal with glowing weak points. I'd definitely have preferred it if they dropped the parallels for the sake of a more engaging fight - I didn't even enjoy it as a setpiece.

It did at least have a great version of the main theme to accompany it.

I was thinking the same thing
when I got to beast Ganon. It felt way too similar to the Divine Beast fights (with the exception of Rudania because fuck that one). However, at least have him moving or something. The fight felt somewhat pointless. Calamity Ganon's fight felt final boss like without Beast Ganon.

They wanted you to
relate the 4 discrete constellations on the wall to a 1-5 digit by placing a ball in the corresponding value. The value for each constellation was determined by how many times it appeared in the "sky key"

That one was waaaaay to cryptic for my attention span. Did get a royal sword out of it though (also the weapons are randomized from game to game).

Boney

Banned
The weird thing is that Twilight Princess had some great caves to explore. Grab your lantern and delve deep into the unknown. A little issue in BOTW is that you can't attack and keep the fire without risking the torch break.

Still upset no shrine requires a boomerang to do nifty stuff as well.

Boem

Wait... what are the Korok seeds used for? I'm about 30 hours in and have not come across yet what they are for. I've been to the Korok Forest but haven't explored much yet.

Oh man.

About where to find out more about what they're for:
There's a guy/creature named Hestu who shows you what they are for, on the way to Kakariko. Most people run in to him early in the game, when they first go to Kakariko.

Exactly what they are used for:
You can trade them for more inventory slots. Makes the game a lot more fun, simply by being able to carry more weapons/shields/bows around with you.

Denzar

35 hours in and did my first dungeon. How long would you guys say this game is? To see it all but not do all the sidequests? 100 Hrs?

Also, has the WiiU version been patched too?

Futureman

Oh man.

There's a guy/creature named Hestu who shows you what they are for, on the way to Kakariko. Most people run in to him early in the game, when they first go to Kakariko.

You can trade them for more inventory slots. Makes the game a lot more fun, simply by being able to carry more weapons/shields/bows around with you.

cool thanks. I'll have to go look for him tonight. I've done about 40 shrines and 40 seeds.

tkscz

Oh man.

When explaining how to find Hetsu, remember that there is more than one "entrance" to Kakariko village. Like him, I didn't get into the village from the direction where Hatsu is, I actually left Kakorike where he is.

The weird thing is that Twilight Princess had some great caves to explore. Grab your lantern and delve deep into the unknown. A little issue in BOTW is that you can't attack and keep the fire without risking the torch break.

Still upset no shrine requires a boomerang to do nifty stuff as well.

I was actually just thinking how much this game would benefit from more caves, ruins and other types of indoor locations like Skyrim. Not necessarily to that same extent, just for some extra variety. The Shrines were great but they just didn't offer enough variety to be truly fantastic.

I think that's all this game needed to have been absolutely perfect- more variety in general. More enemy types, more indoor locations, more weapon types, clothing types, runes... It's extremely amazing as it is, but these things could have made it even better.

jepense

There are a couple of small caverns that look pretty much like that, but they don't contain much, maybe some ore. There are a couple of caves that contain a shrine, but they aren't long and winding either.

Leatherface

Why does this game need to end? I'm about to finish my third divine beast.

I'm really trying to take my time with this game but it just begs to be played and beaten at the same time. 70 hours in, and I'm still in love.

This is about where I'm at as well. 70 hours in, just beat the 3rd Divine Beast section.

Question for everyone. Once I beat this am I still able to roam around to find all the secrets and side quests?

Zedark

35 hours in and did my first dungeon. How long would you guys say this game is? To see it all but not do all the sidequests? 100 Hrs?

Also, has the WiiU version been patched too?

That's hard to say. It really depends on how much you are captured by the world and roam around. There are people who racked up most of the typical content before the 100 hour mark, and people here that have played 200+ hours without even finishing the game or doing all quests and collectibles. I myself am 80 hours in and expect to finish the main quest around the 100 hour mark, and to then continue with the optional content for some tens of hours more.

The Wii U version did get a patch, and had a minor fps improvement. We don't have a definitive analysis by DF on this yet, unfortunately.

This is about where I'm at as well. 70 hours in, just beat the 3rd Divine Beast section.

Question for everyone. Once I beat this am I still able to roam around to find all the secrets and side quests?

Yes, you get kicked back to the title screen and can load a save with a star on it that puts you right outside the final boss with the addition of being able to see your completion percentage on the map screen, and the amount of shrine quests/side quests you have left.

tkscz

Yeah that is dumb. Seems like the game doesn't really reward you for much - the blood moon resets everything too.

I do not suggest going to Hyrule castle if you haven't gotten a blood moon in a while. Bringing back any guardian/beamos that you took down as you're there sucks.

Yes, you get kicked back to the title screen and can load a save with a star on it that puts you right outside the final boss with the addition of being able to see your completion percentage on the map screen, and the amount of shrine quests/side quests you have left.

Haven't gone to my star file yet, is there a warp point back to the castle? Or do I have to
sneak through the back again?

Futureman

Anyone wishing that you could free roam after the end battle to just collect and do stuff? Only did 50 shrines and found 11 seeds before finishing the story.

I rarely replay games so I'm thinking of just waiting to go for Calamity Ganon until I have all the shrines. Korok seeds seem like it would be too annoying to find them all.

I wonder how the DLC dungeon will be handled? Will you have to start a new game and it will just be a new part of the game? Or will it just be a separate mode you select and you go right to the dungeon?

edit: OH per the post 2 above I guess you can load a save after beating Ganon and continue on the shrine hunt. Cool.

Skeletos311

What's with all the controller icons on the back of the Wii U box? It lists Wiimote + Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, and Wiimote, but none of those work at all. The only button that works in the game is the Home button.

I beat Ganon with all 4 Beasts up yesterday. The Blights are actually harder than Ganon. The fight really isn't that hard if you know what to do in each phase.

Crazy theory about what the dungeon DLC will be about. A mecha sized Fi will be the new dungeon. Now, hear me out. Each champion has a light blue piece of clothing with an icon of their Devine Beast on it. And what does Link have on his light blue shirt, the Champion's Tunic? A Master Sword. I'm calling it now!

Leatherface

Oh cool. Thanks. :)

Haven't gone to my star file yet, is there a warp point back to the castle? Or do I have to
sneak through the back again?

Er...

A) You may wanna load that star file if it's still there. It's an autosave which might get overwritten if you play too long without loading it

B) There is no warp specifically for the castle, though the star file puts you at the doorway
right before Calamity Ganon
. However, there is a
shrine you can find that's "inside" the castle which lets you warp there

Crayolan

But the best quest in the entire game is from Rito after your clear the Divine Beast... :p

I agree the main quest at Rito was kinda weak though. The lead up to the Divine Beast is less exciting than the rest, because you just have to shoot a bunch of targets at the training spot rather than go off to do a quest to prepare.

They should have incorporated the trek up to Selmie's place into the main questline. I loved that whole process of finding her travel journal at the base of the mountain, following the markers she set up and finally finding her at the peak. Since Harth was injured anyway they could have set it up so that he crash landed in the mountains after fighting Medoh, Link is sent to go find him, and you find him being tended to by Selmie. Then you go down the back side of the mountain and fight an overworld boss to get medicine or something.

I dunno, it's just weird that the Rito quest is the only one that doesn't really have you explore the surrounding area at all, especially when there's already a clear path through the area as if they were planning on sending the player up the mountain.

I never thought I'd say this but I wish there were caves to explore!

Can anybody shed any overworld design knowledge on why they were left out? Seems really odd.

We've talked about this a little before. The total lack of caves really stands out to me too. I hate that there are no hidden caves or caverns full of secrets. For a game that's built around natural terrain and structures, there is nothing more obviously missing than natural interiors like caves and tunnels. You'll notice that, except for Hyrule Castle, there are virtually no interior spaces whatsoever. Even the Divine Beasts are open air. The game just doesn't want to contain you by design. I get that. But the thrill and wonder of Hyrule Castle demonstrates how incredible these contrasting locations can be.

My conclusion is that the gameplay revolves all around vertical exploration and freedom of movement. An underground interior cancels that out, as you cannot make your own path and the systems the game is built on, like paragliding and climbing, are harder to make use of. They clearly as some point made a conscious decision not to include caverns and I think the game is worse for it.

The omission is just so glaring to me. I hate it. It's one of the many ways a sequel has room to improve on what is already a tremendous foundation.

ColdPizza

Banned
Someone took a lot of care crafting all of the sight-lines. Almost every pass or trail has an exquisite line of sight towards a major point of interest. It's just amazing.

tkscz

Er...

A) You may wanna load that star file if it's still there. It's an autosave which might get overwritten if you play too long without loading it

B) There is no warp specifically for the castle, though the star file puts you at the doorway
right before Calamity Ganon
. However, there is a
shrine you can find that's "inside" the castle which lets you warp there

I haven't played since I beat the game last night so not worries about that first one. As for the second,
I got all 12 Zelda memories, but didn't go back to Impa for the 13th. So I need to go do that, but was hoping I didn't have to sneak past/ destroy all those Guardians again. I would need more ancient arrows to do it.

jariw

Yeah that is dumb. Seems like the game doesn't really reward you for much - the blood moon resets everything too.

You get rupees, which you probably need a lot during that stage of the game anyway. What kind of reward would you want?

I haven't played since I beat the game last night so not worries about that first one. As for the second,
I got all 12 Zelda memories, but didn't go back to Impa for the 13th. So I need to go do that, but was hoping I didn't have to sneak past/ destroy all those Guardians again. I would need more ancient arrows to do it.

Yeah you'll have to go through the Castle again, though if you haven't yet
found the Shrine in the Castle
you may want to do that on your way out.

I've found it quite easy to get to the top of the Castle though with very little issues from enemies. Both
Revali's Gale
and the
Zora armor
can help immensely, as does the mountain climbing outfit. Remember, everything in the world is climbable. It's not too hard to essentially avoid every enemy and go straight to the boss.

jariw

How is 11 korok seeds even possible. :) And you can free roam after beating Ganon, to get those remaining
889 seeds

lyrick

You get rupees, which you probably need a lot during that stage of the game anyway. What kind of reward would you want?

You get mighty bananas, which makes attack up food, which means you rock your ancient armor bonus set and have attack up 3 with an Ancient Axe++.

Lynel farming was never easier.

UCBooties

Question regarding shrines:

I am trying to complete the game without looking up any guides or walkthroughs, so I don't want to just look things up, but are there any hints or tricks for finding hidden shrines? There are a few areas that I have been over with a fine toothed comb because my tracker is pinging and I just can't seem to find anything.

Top Bottom