• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

I've said it before, but the only reasons why I die to these bosses is because my weapons are all about to break or because I don't have enough shields.

It's just a pain in the ass to have to stop the boss fights to go into the world and fucking farm for weapons. Let alone that it's hard to find decent weapons.

I still think this is a shitty "design choice" and frankly, it takes away some of the fun.
Prep? You're skipping a step, what do you expect?

anyone else solve Directing the Wind by
dropping the ball right into the hole, using stasis, then running to the moving platform and waiting? This bypasses all the fans.
Almost felt like cheating.

N° 2048

I've said it before, but the only reasons why I die to these bosses is because my weapons are all about to break or because I don't have enough shields.

It's just a pain in the ass to have to stop the boss fights to go into the world and fucking farm for weapons. Let alone that it's hard to find decent weapons.

I still think this is a shitty "design choice" and frankly, it takes away some of the fun.

It's the only thing stressing me out in this game. All weapon drops for me right now are crap (nothing more than 10-20 DMG) and everything breaks so fast.

I've been upgrading weapon slots but yea it's annoying. I also pick up all weapons so I'm not just leaving them there.

Red

You guys also using meals and elixirs to boost your stats? Even 10-20 damage point weapons are perfectly serviceable, and drops are so plentiful it seems unlikely this would be a persistent issue.

N° 2048

You guys also using meals and elixirs to boost your stats? Even 10-20 damage point weapons are perfectly serviceable, and drops are so plentiful it seems unlikely this would be a persistent issue.

Hmmm will look into. Cheers

I knew players who would run out of shields but I spent most of the game using two-handed weapons I barely scratched my shields.

The only times I lost shields was fighting Lynel and Guardians (and it hasn't happened in a long time)... My shield inventory is full and unscratched 99.9% of the time.

Some of you need to stop whining and git gud.

Red

I can see the shield inventory being slight for players who don't parry or flurry rush. Shields don't get replenished like weapons do, since fewer enemies carry them.

DirtyLarry

Is there such a thing as too good of a game?
If so, BOTW is that game.
I have barely touched another game since I got my Switch over 3 weeks ago.
Hell, I have the new Wipeout Collection for my PS4 Pro and I barely played 45 minutes until I decided fuck it, back to Zelda.
Now for many this may not be a problem, but since I am older my gaming time is extremely limited, so I maybe get 4-5 hours a week if I am lucky.
Thing is the Switch has absolutely changed that. I now have another 3-4 hours a week thanks to being able to play wherever. It truly is special.

Also I am not sure how they did it, but they made a massively open world game with heavy RPG Elements somehow able to be played in short bursts. Historically I have never, ever been able to play a game like this for just 15 minutes and feel like I got something accomplished. With BOTW that is not the case.

Just the best game ever made. I am absolutely convinced.

I have to say it helps I have the parry down pat with Guardians as well. They are nothing now that I know the timing.

Just damn. What a game.

Red

I decided to test the diamond circlet for the first time during my last major test of strength. It reduces all guardian damage to 1/4 heart. They become absolutely trivial.

piggychan

you might also need to trade those Korok seeds and exchange them with Hestu in order upgrade your inventory and weapon space so you can carry more melee stuff around.

also you might want to look into cooking foods that boost your def etc and take them just before boss fights.

you may also have to use your bomb, magnesis etc to help

W-00

I managed to kill my first Lynel, It was the one in the
Coliseum Ruins near Outskirt Stable.
My strategy was to
remain on the floor above it, stasis it, and quickly bombard it with bomb arrows while it was frozen and then retreat out of its sight before it could see me, wait, and repeat. It cost me about 20 bomb arrows, but now I have a Lynel sword, shield, and bow.
Killing it also got me a
Lynel Hoof
, which let me clear (spoiler for the existence of a puzzle and its answer)
the final Korok Riddle.

What do you guys think: worth farming when Blood Moons come around or a waste of resources?

jnWake

My strategy was to
remain on the floor above it, stasis it, and quickly bombard it with bomb arrows while it was frozen and then retreat out of its sight before it could see me, wait, and repeat. It cost me about 20 bomb arrows, but now I have a Lynel sword, shield, and bow.
Killing it also got me a
Lynel Hoof
the final Korok Riddle.

What do you guys think: worth farming when Blood Moons come around or a waste of resources?

Bomb arrows are scarce and expensive. Unless you have a good farming spot for them I wouldn't recommend farming that. You'll become stronger eventually and Lynels will be easier to kill with less resources.

jariw

What? I killed the Hinox
at Eventide island
, just using the rune abilities.

piggychan

What? I killed the Hinox
at Eventide island
, just using the rune abilities.

Plus you can always find somewhere on the map to hit and hide. Rinse repeat. Takes a while but if you want to save on resources.
DA6arXSUMAARr8M.jpg:large

DA6axAtUAAAd811.jpg:large

I decided to test the diamond circlet for the first time during my last major test of strength. It reduces all guardian damage to 1/4 heart. They become absolutely trivial.

How does it compare to Ancient Helmet? I have the full Ancient armor set and just assumed it's better than the diamond circlet against Guardians so never bother with the circlet...

atr0cious

How does it compare to Ancient Helmet? I have the full Ancient armor set and just assumed it's better than the diamond circlet against Guardians so never bother with the circlet...
Don't think can Red has that armor set as they're specifically staying away from those labs and villages.

Red

My strategy was to
Killing it also got me a
Lynel Hoof
the final Korok Riddle.
Use standard arrows and practice headshots. A well placed shot will stun them. Then mount and hit away with your strongest weapon. As far as I can tell, all weapons hit an equal amount of time, and none incur a durability penalty if you strike while mounted. The only resource you'll use is standard arrows, and you'll take a slight hit on bow durability. With a little practice you should master the timing for dismounting, so you can open your parasail before he runs away, then get another headshot in so you can restart the process. Lynels become easy this way, and require much less resource expenditure than virtually every other monster in the game.

Don't think can Red has that armor set as they're specifically staying away from those labs and villages.
Yes, I don't have any ancient equipment yet, except for a few arrows I've found here and there.

Caelus

Beat all 120 shrines while only completing two Divine Beasts (Naboris, Medoh), those are the only two required for two shrine quests.

Feels strangely good to be this overpowered, just beat Ruta in less than half an hour and went to the Colosseum to farm for some Royal weapons and shields.

The Cap of the Wild makes a surprisingly good accessory for other outfits, like the knight outfit. The Tunic of the Wild is an adorable reward, I'll probably upgrade it to max before facing Ganon again.

Doing the sidequests in this game is an absolute joy.

Pachimari

I can't do anything against these camps of pigs or whatever they are. I throw a bomb at them but it doesn't take them out in one explosion. And there's like 10 of them including a very tall monster here at the beach. I keep dying all the time...

Red

I can't do anything against these camps of pigs or whatever they are. I throw a bomb at them but it doesn't take them out in one explosion. And there's like 10 of them including a very tall monster here at the beach. I keep dying all the time...
Try doing a few shrines, collecting the chests inside. You'll find resources that way. Or evade monsters and open whatever treasures are around, then run away. You could also try approaching at night, when they're all asleep, and collect their weapons before they wake up.

Pachimari

Yeah I think I might not be ready for this battle so I'm travelling back to Kariko Village. I've wasted all of my food. This game is incredibly hard.

I also can't find any shrines...

Red

Try using stasis when you move through forests to highlight mushrooms and plants. You'll find food is plentiful nearly everywhere.

Don't get discouraged. It will click.

piggychan

Yeah I think I might not be ready for this battle so I'm travelling back to Kariko Village. I've wasted all of my food. This game is incredibly hard.

I also can't find any shrines...

are you not using your Sheikah sensor and using it to detect any shrines ? Granted sometimes when it starts to beep and you run around it will drive you nuts but most of the time it does help.

Pachimari

Try using stasis when you move through forests to highlight mushrooms and plants. You'll find food is plentiful nearly everywhere.

Don't get discouraged. It will click.
I have no idea what Stasis is.

are you not using your Sheikah sensor and using it to detect any shrines ? Granted sometimes when it starts to beep and you run around it will drive you nuts but most of the time it does help.
I do have it on at all times and I've heard it beep and go crazy many times but I've never found anything. Isn't it supposed to find shrines I can enter and get through ? Just like the times I was awarded the bombs, magnet and that stuff?

I just sold some stuff and got 830 rupees and I would like to buy some better clothes somewhere. I'm also told to go find these 12 places in the album that Zelda have been to but how am I supposed to find any of them. The map don't show me where these places are and I can't recognize any of them since it's basically pictures of ordinary forests and such.

And now this merchant want me to light up torches at the Goddess statue and I have no idea where it is.

Ugh, I feel so useless and bad at this game. :(

Pachimari

I found this one but only got 20 rupees for completing this side quest.

Are you playing in English? Maybe stasis has a different name elsewhere?
I'm playing in English.

Anyway, I'm supposed to find at least one of these 12 locations in the album. So I have to travel the entire map just to find a place that resembles what I see on these pictures? That's quite the task I've been given already.

Caelus

Anyway, I'm supposed to find at least one of these 12 locations in the album. So I have to travel the entire map just to find a place that resembles what I see on these pictures? That's quite the task I've been given already.

You only need one for a specific item reward, the others may be tied to other sidequests - shrine related or not - but all of them are optional.

I would argue that it isn't worth getting all of them unless you are completionist, or you want to see more of the story and character interaction.

Red

You get stasis on the great plateau. It's the time control ability. It highlights freezable objects in yellow.

Meeps

The painter NPC will give you big hints about where these locations are. It's definitely worth finding them all for story-related stuff.

Pachimari

You only need one for a specific item reward, the others may be tied to other sidequests - shrine related or not - but all of them are optional.

I would argue that it isn't worth getting all of them unless you are completionist, or you want to see more of the story and character interaction.
If I could just find one of them.

The painter NPC will give you big hints about where these locations are. It's definitely worth finding them all for story-related stuff.
I don't think I've come across a painter NPC. But I can try and look for him in Kariko Village or Hateno Village.

You get stasis on the great plateau. It's the time control ability. It highlights freezable objects in yellow.
Ahh yeah. I remember what it is.

Pachimari

He's in Kariko Village and at the stables around the world.
I'm looking around. It'll probably take me some time to find him.

At the moment, is it worth buying stealth garb? I can either buy a chest guard , stealth mask, stealth tights or a Hylian tunic.

I'm looking around. It'll probably take me some time to find him.

At the moment, is it worth buying stealth garb? I can either buy a chest guard , stealth mask, stealth tights or a Hylian tunic.

It depends on how you like to play, but I'd say if you're having trouble surviving fights, maybe the element of surprise/ability to sneak around and decide when you want enemies to know you're there would help you right now!

Regardless, you're gonna want to own all the armor in the game eventually if you're anything like me - so I'd go ahead and buy everything you see for sale.

If you just make it a rule to ALWAYS buy whatever arrows and clothing you see for sale, your life will be a lot easier the more you play.

Pachimari

Yeah well I came across this woman who enhanced my clothing. And I found something calleda Korok seed. And I found the painter too but following him didn't help me the slightest in finding anything resembling anything I've got in my album.

It's noted that I should buy whatever armor I come across.

Anteo

You are so early in the game you shouldnt be worried about the memory quest yet, plus the hint in kakariko is one of the hardest to get that early in the game imo. If you run into the painter in another area of the map he will give you a hint for another memory. Now if you want to know the path to the kakariko memory
go to the lady who uograded your gear and keep walking on that path. You will find an intersection, I think you go left there, you should find a river and the path will take you along the river. Be careful, they say assasins roam that area looking for easy targets to recruit or kill.

Kjellson

I am replaying this game right now.

God damn I love this game.

Also, the framerate patches really did wonders. It's so much smoother now compared when I played it at launch.

Red

Huh, I just searched underneath an unusually large flock of seagulls off the south coast of cape cresia, and found a school of uncommon fish. Mighty carp and others. Two dozen or so swimming in circles. Never seen that before.

Pachimari

You are so early in the game you shouldnt be worried about the memory quest yet, plus the hint in kakariko is one of the hardest to get that early in the game imo. If you run into the painter in another area of the map he will give you a hint for another memory. Now if you want to know the path to the kakariko memory
go to the lady who uograded your gear and keep walking on that path. You will find an intersection, I think you go left there, you should find a river and the path will take you along the river. Be careful, they say assasins roam that area looking for easy targets to recruit or kill.
This makes me relieved to hear. I might just let it be at this moment. Although my only main quest is to find one of these 12 places in the album. If I'm not to go for this, then I am out of main quests.

Also, the framerate patches really did wonders. It's so much smoother now compared when I played it at launch.
I wasn't there at launch, but playing this for the first time on my tv, I noticed the game has some framerate dips here and there which surprised me, but I'm okay with it.

Also the horse is useless. I found it up in the mountains where I had left it, and now it's stuck so I can't get it out of there.

I bought the stealth chest guard, and the stealth tights, just need the stealth scarf as well for 500 rupees. And I need one more orb to be able to increase my healthbar. I found one shrine and solved it after 30 minutes dayum.

Got a Switch + Zelda last week for my birthday and I am constantly blown away. The atmosphere, the attention to detail, the interactivity with the environment and objects, the sense of exploration and adventure. And damn, the mother fucking scale / size! I did not expect it to be THIS massive.
I am 40 hours in and did not even finished one of the early four main missions.

I just switched to the pro HUD and went exploring this incredible world. The immersion is crazy! Especially with headphones.

Visuals are awesome too
More so when considering the hardware of the lead platform. Love the weather effects, the lighting and the details, like the awesome grass.

Anteo

This makes me relieved to hear. I might just let it be at this moment. Although my only main quest is to find one of these 12 places in the album. If I'm not to go for this, then I am out of main quests.

I wasn't there at launch, but playing this for the first time on my tv, I noticed the game has some framerate dips here and there which surprised me, but I'm okay with it.

Also the horse is useless. I found it up in the mountains where I had left it, and now it's stuck so I can't get it out of there.

I bought the stealth chest guard, and the stealth tights, just need the stealth scarf as well for 500 rupees. And I need one more orb to be able to increase my healthbar. I found one shrine and solved it after 30 minutes dayum.

Impa should have given you the quest markers for the 4 divine beast, it probably got deactivated when she gave you the memory quest but you should be able to find your main quests on the quests tab and switch between them.

Pachimari

Impa should have given you the quest markers for the 4 divine beast, it probably got deactivated when she gave you the memory quest but you should be able to find your main quests on the quests tab and switch between them.

Yeah, I just don't think I'm prepared for finding these beasts. They'll send me to the moon if I ever approach them.

This game also looks really pretty:

How do you get Link's classic clothes in this game?

Which amiibo will I need to find to get this? Any of them?

Anteo

Yeah, I just don't think I'm prepared for finding these beasts. They'll send me to the moon if I ever approach them.

Which amiibo will I need to find to get this? Any of them?

While its true you can get green clothes by getting amiibos, those are based on previous zelda games clothes (i.e. twilight set), There is a unique one for link in this game after doing certain tasks

Edit: each of the link amiibos will give you the clothes, but its random and it may take a while to drop

Replaying the game. So I was able to get into Hyrule castle right after I got the paraglider. I even
got some good weapons and made my way into the Sanctum

But I can't for the life of me defeat the
Electric Blight! It's the only one that does three or more damage! I can get it to its second form fine. But if I use my Hylian shield, the boss uses an electric sword and I drop it! Am I suppose to dodge at the right time before it attacks me and do a flurry rush? If so, this one seems to be harder to time...

Anteo

Another option it would be to spam attack as he tries to attack you. My sister did it that way lmao, she just attacket and for whatever reason thunderblight used its shield isntead of completing the attack animation, she kept attacking until it broke.

Top Bottom