• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

JJShadow

I don't see harm in getting it now, but it depends on your preference. It acts like a normal sword with 30 attack power and crappy durability forcing a 10-minute wait between breaks. It is very useful against Guardians and Divine Beasts (deals double damage and its durability is greatly increased against those enemies).

Whenever I have my MS not at full durability (no sparkle), I use it against normal enemies/ore until it breaks and recharges so that I'll have a "brand new" one and leave it for when I encounter Guardians.

It's intended for guardian enemies and bosses. The base attack is 30 and when around those enemies or in Hyrule Castle the attack jumps to 60. There's no reason not to pick it up as soon as possible. You could even convert some stamina to hearts if you want to pick it up right now, and then convert those two hearts back to stamina after you get the sword.

Thanks! I cleared all shrines in the Forest and I was missing only one container, so I already have it

Thanks! I cleared all shrines in the Forest and I was missing only one container, so I already have it

It also shoots lasers when you're at full health (use the weapon throw button). Never found much use for it though, it looks cool when you do it over grass (mow the lawn), for combat I'd rather use bow and arrow for ranged attacks.

atr0cious

Why 99% of breakable jars in this game don't contain anything? Seems like a departure from OoT days where breaking jars was rewarding... Why include them and make them breakable if they don't have anything?
Subversion of that specific trope the franchise has leaned on. And some jars have stuff, it's just very rare and must be where people reside usually. And the many wooden and metal boxes make up for it.

Caelus

With 100+ shrines done and zero Divine Beasts, I decided I might as well try to beat the game - meaning heading up to the Sanctum with no Champion abilities, facing all four Blights and defeating a full health Calamity Ganon.

It was thrilling as all hell! Felt nice to burn to several inventory slots hammering away at these foes.

Unfortunately my Switch straight up crashed and my software closed right before I could puncture Ganon's third eye with a Light Arrow. :( Has anyone else encountered this bug? As much as I love the game, it felt frustrating to end my session like that. I'll try again tomorrow.

watershed

Banned
I really feel like the Ancient Armor helmet needed a few more design attempts...

Lol, yeah the ancient helmet is one of the worst looking pieces of armor in the game, which is a shame. I like the ancient armor set aside from the helmet but with the helmet Link looks a bit like a doofus running around Hyrule completely destroying guardians like a badass. It's a bit weird.

I didn't like the look of the ancient helmet at first, but it grew on me.

18738593_269693406836086_4865844857687241788_o.jpg

Do weapon descriptions like "This weapon is light weight and easy to wield" or "only the most skilled fighters can use this properly" (not exact wording ofc) have any effect on the way the weapon handles? I never noticed a difference.

maxcriden

Do weapon descriptions like "This weapon is light weight and easy to wield" or "only the most skilled fighters can use this properly" (not exact wording ofc) have any effect on the way the weapon handles? I never noticed a difference.

Unfortunately not, I don't think so. I was hoping heavier weapons would slow you down a bit, and vice-versa, but I assume for QOL features they left that out.

(On an entirely different note, I still want a music player for the Sheikah Slate as part of DLC 2...and a raincoat...)

atr0cious

Unfortunately not, I don't think so. I was hoping heavier weapons would slow you down a bit, and vice-versa, but I assume for QOL features they left that out.

(On an entirely different note, I still want a music player for the Sheikah Slate as part of DLC 2...and a raincoat...)
There's a big difference in the recovery of using two handed weapons vs one handed. And you do move a little slower all around, though not by much. The main variations come from the environment, via placement and weather patterns, like having to fight with a wooden bow and bombs in the rain because all other weapons are metal.

mrkgoo

There's a big difference in the recovery of using two handed weapons vs one handed. And you do move a little slower all around, though not by much. The main variations come from the environment, via placement and weather patterns, like having to fight with a wooden bow and bombs in the rain because all other weapons are metal.

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned that swimming with heavy gear slows you down too.

I also assume that different gear affects your stealth?

WolfeTone

Any tips to not run out of weapons? Struggling with this early on.

You're supposed to run out of weapons and replace them pretty quickly. You'd be lucky to get more than 30 hits in with a single weapon before it breaks. Pick up all the weapons the enemies drop. You'll soon adjust.

You're supposed to run out of weapons and replace them pretty quickly. You'd be lucky to get more than 30 hits in with a single weapon before it breaks. Pick up all the weapons the enemies drop. You'll soon adjust.

I don't think I ever ran out of weapons in the game, or arrows for that matter (which I've heard more people complain about running out of). People must have wildly different play styles.

Any tips to not run out of weapons? Struggling with this early on.

Try to use bombs as much as you can. All low-level world enemies can be easily killed with bombs (chu chus, keese, octoroks, skeletons, wolves, etc.). Also many enemy camps can be almost entirely killed off with bombs if you stealth your way to higher ground and throw and blow one bomb after another in the middle of the camp... the stupidity of enemy AI in such scenarios really bothers me. They'll keep coming over to check the bomb only to have it explode in their face over and over until they're all dead. Also use bombs on ore to conserve your weapons. Use the bow and arrow more. Plenty of ways to make your weapons last.

Firenze1

Banned
It was a great game but i am kinda burned out on zelda now. Things that i disliked:

- no graveyard area
- not many bombable walls with secret caves
- the horse felt useless
- not enough unique enemies
- dungeons
- story is a snoozer

Good zelda but not in my top3.

atr0cious

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned that swimming with heavy gear slows you down too.

a

You are correct. There's a difference between sneaking unarmed and armed, since the weapons clank on your back. Which can spoil you're ambush even with the stealth armor set.
It was a great game but i am kinda burned out on zelda now. Things that i disliked:

- no graveyard area
- not many bombable walls with secret caves
- the horse felt useless
- not enough unique enemies
- dungeons
- story is a snoozer

Good zelda but not in my top3.
You May not have been looking hard enough, these are everywhere, some holding shrines. I think there are several grave sites, but nothing like OoTs Dampe's Labyrinth. Horse is great if you're​ going to open areas like Hyrule Field, Hebra, and Faron. Dungeons are subjective, as I found their structure and puzzles were better in everyway compared to the stale push-block/find a button design of the others. And I dug that the story gets out of your way and allows for you to muck around, while the character interactions are Majora's Mask tier and maybe a little better with how diverse the personalities are.

Lol, yeah the ancient helmet is one of the worst looking pieces of armor in the game, which is a shame. I like the ancient armor set aside from the helmet but with the helmet Link looks a bit like a doofus running around Hyrule completely destroying guardians like a badass. It's a bit weird.

Yeah, looks silly to me.

I spent a lot of my early time with the game searching for fairy fountains and grinding for materials, so I had most of my gear and amiibo sets upgraded to high levels well before I even found the machine to make Ancient gear.

Most my time with the game rocking either

a)
Champion's Tunic
Amber Earrings
Hylian trousers (dyed white)

or

b)
Hylian tunic (dyed green)
Cap of Twighlight (later replaced by
Cap of the Wild
dyed green)
Twilight trousers

for a look I felt like was a modernized take on the classic green Link

9L242uQ.jpg

maxcriden

You are correct. There's a difference between sneaking unarmed and armed, since the weapons clank on your back. Which can spoil you're ambush even with the stealth armor set.

Wow, I didn't realize any of that. Thanks to you both. I'm very pleased to have been wrong. I'm glad to have read that. :)

The shrine where you need to
deliver an ice cube through firehoses and over lava
was fun.

Man, I remember one particular part of this one... (maybe the very last part?) being incredibly difficult to surmise the solution they were looking for. It was one of the many situations I love in this game where I genuinely have no clear idea of how we're "supposed to" be solving a problem. It almost makes you feel like you've cheated somehow when you finally work out how to get past or solve something. No doubt this was very much purposefully designed into the game, based on what I've read from various interviews with the game's designers, talking about how they discovered the fact that "cheating is fun!"

Anyone else know what I mean? Sometimes I'll feel like I've done something I wasn't supposed to in order to solve a puzzle, but really it's just that as a player I'm unused to this level of freedom - so I almost feel guilty having exercised that freedom.

Finaj

Well, I've hit a roadblock.

The
stealth mission into the Secret Yiga Hideout is a pain in the ass. You're given a game over if you get detected and there are no checkpoints.

Probably the only badly designed I've encountered so far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The
stealth mission into the Secret Yiga Hideout is a pain in the ass. You're given a game over if you get detected and there are no checkpoints.

Bananas dude, also Stasis. Really, it's super easy.

jnWake

Man, I remember one particular part of this one... (maybe the very last part?) being incredibly difficult to surmise the solution they were looking for. It was one of the many situations I love in this game where I genuinely have no clear idea of how we're "supposed to" be solving a problem. It almost makes you feel like you've cheated somehow when you finally work out how to get past or solve something. No doubt this was very much purposefully designed into the game, based on what I've read from various interviews with the game's designers, talking about how they discovered the fact that "cheating is fun!"

Anyone else know what I mean? Sometimes I'll feel like I've done something I wasn't supposed to in order to solve a puzzle, but really it's just that as a player I'm unused to this level of freedom - so I almost feel guilty having exercised that freedom.

How did you clear it? I pretty much brute forced the Shrine haha.
My ice cube at the end was absurdly small

Yeah, looks silly to me.

I spent a lot of my early time with the game searching for fairy fountains and grinding for materials, so I had most of my gear and amiibo sets upgraded to high levels well before I even found the machine to make Ancient gear.

Most my time with the game rocking either

a)
Champion's Tunic
Amber Earrings
Hylian trousers (dyed white)

or

b)
Hylian tunic (dyed green)
Cap of Twighlight (later replaced by
Cap of the Wild
dyed green)
Twilight trousers
Barbarian Helm for me all the way (red scheme), with the other two Ancient armor pieces or the full Barbarian set.

Love me the Barbarian shit.

I also did the riding hood with the Dark Tunic and Leggings though, that looked dope.

Firenze1

Banned
a

You are correct. There's a difference between sneaking unarmed and armed, since the weapons clank on your back. Which can spoil you're ambush even with the stealth armor set. You May not have been looking hard enough, these are everywhere, some holding shrines. I think there are several grave sites, but nothing like OoTs Dampe's Labyrinth. Horse is great if you're​ going to open areas like Hyrule Field, Hebra, and Faron. Dungeons are subjective, as I found their structure and puzzles were better in everyway compared to the stale push-block/find a button design of the others. And I dug that the story gets out of your way and allows for you to muck around, while the character interactions are Majora's Mask tier and maybe a little better with how diverse the personalities are.

Bombable walls hides a treasure chest 95% of the time. There are no explorable caves after you bomb a wall. Underground exploration is seriously lacking

jariw

Bananas dude, also Stasis. Really, it's super easy.

Additional tip: if you get discovered, run around in the area until you get killed, so you can scout and plan a good route for the next run.

Underground exploration is seriously lacking

When did the game hint underground exploration? Or are you just making random complaints about the game being different to some previous Zeldas?

The

I cleared that two days ago. Was also frustrated at first and hated it, but it's rather short so that's why checkpoints wouldn't have made much sense. Wear the Sheikah stealth armor set all the time there, hold a banana, press Down on the directional pad to aim where to throw it, after the guard takes it and turns around to walk back, walk up behind him for a stealth strike. Rinse, repeat.

jariw

Why would it need to hint that? It is a legit compliant.

It's an arbitrary complaint about a feature that isn't in the game's design. The game is called "Breath of the Wild", not "Link's Odyssey".

I have no arrows at all. How do I get more of these?

If you just need normal arrows, farm them from archer enemies shooting at (and missing) you. Archers at horseback will shoot unlimited number of arrows for farming.

Other types of arrows are found in enemy nests, chests, or in arrow shops.

Deku Tree

To start Hard mode when it comes out will I have to delete my 120 shrine 400+ Korok Seed all good armor upgraded to level 4 save file?

I have no arrows at all. How do I get more of these?

Buy them from shops and merchants. Also killing archer enemies with an arrow to the head often (always?) makes them drop 5x arrows. The path leading up to Zora's domain is good for that.

To start Hard mode when it comes out will I have to delete my 120 shrine 400+ Korok Seed all good armor upgraded to level 4 save file?

Nobody knows.

JJShadow

Checking my quest list, I still have this one called "Hylian Homeowner" in which a guy is asking me for 3000 rupees to buy a house, but this is exactly the amount I've saved up to this point (I could still sell some minerals and rocks, but still...). Without getting into spoilers, is the reward worth that amont of rupees?

jariw

Checking my quest list, I still have this one called "Hylian Homeowner" in which a guy is asking me for 3000 rupees to buy a house, but this is exactly the amount I've saved up to this point (I could still sell some minerals and rocks, but still...). Without getting into spoilers, is the reward worth that amont of rupees?

Absolutely! The reward is not purely from an economical standpoint, though.

azyless

I'm almost at the 100-hour point and I've only done 2 beasts, haven't even put one foot in like half of the regions. I don't know where my time is going lol.

Anteo

Thats like half the price lol. You still have to invest more afterwards but it starts anothr quest chain.

How did you clear it? I pretty much brute forced the Shrine haha.
My ice cube at the end was absurdly small

Basically this, but I think I ended up stasis/hitting the little shred I had intact past that last bit. It flew through there fast enough that it survived.

I've said it before, but the only reasons why I die to these bosses is because my weapons are all about to break or because I don't have enough shields.

It's just a pain in the ass to have to stop the boss fights to go into the world and fucking farm for weapons. Let alone that it's hard to find decent weapons.

I still think this is a shitty "design choice" and frankly, it takes away some of the fun.

I used
Magnesis on the Metal Block and blocked most of the fire barriers as I went.

Yes, but
how did you manage to fully block that last set of blowtorches? I seem to remember that no matter how you arranged the metal box, there wasn't a fully safe path through to the monk. I think I blocked it as much as I could, leaving juuuust enough space to allow my tiny ice cube a path to shoot through via stasis energy.

I hope not. I'm going to assume that you can just start hard mode without having to beat the game on normal first. If that is the case (I really hope that's the case), you can just create a new switch profile and let that be your hard mode file.

I've said it before, but the only reasons why I die to these bosses is because my weapons are all about to break or because I don't have enough shields.

It's just a pain in the ass to have to stop the boss fights to go into the world and fucking farm for weapons. Let alone that it's hard to find decent weapons.

I still think this is a shitty "design choice" and frankly, it takes away some of the fun.
You're going into boss fights unprepared and you blame the game design?

Anteo

Yes, but
how did you manage to fully block that last set of blowtorches? I seem to remember that no matter how you arranged the metal box, there wasn't a fully safe path through to the monk. I think I blocked it as much as I could, leaving juuuust enough space to allow my tiny ice cube a path to shoot through via stasis energy.

I didnt even bother blocking it. I just use stasis and send the icecube flying through the flames. It went so fast the fire didnt have time to melt it.

One thinh I discovered is that you must unequip your fire weapon or the cube is gonna melt.

Top Bottom