• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Vague/direct hints:

Vague:
The guy standing near the shrine will follow your lead.

Damn, that was actually the first thing I tried, but I guess I didn't wait long enough to trigger event and thought my idea was wrong.

Thanks.

Edit: oh wow I thought this would be a Blessing shrine, pleasantly surprised it isn't! :D

90 shrines down. 30 more to go.

RedCoyote

Also... that one shrine in the Hebra area...
that's surrounded by water and hidden under a snowy hill... is there a correct way to get to that thing? Because I put on my Zora armor and dived in and wall-climbed inside, then dived in again to cross the water to the shrine. Surely there was an easier way.

I did that too, though I think you could
chop down a tree and gently ride it as it floats.

18954751_273386233133470_7885359785411519289_o.jpg

Welp, I am stumped again :/

WolfeTone

18954751_273386233133470_7885359785411519289_o.jpg

Welp, I am stumped again :/

Vague:
Note the colours of the notes, note the stones on top of those large rocks, you'll need something that blows to create music
Specific:
Use a Korok Leaf to blow air between the holes in the rocks in the same order that the Rito chicks sing their song.

Vague:
Note the colours of the notes, note the stones on top of those large rocks, you'll need something that blows to create music
Specific:
Use a Korok Leaf to blow air between the holes in the rocks in the same order that the Rito chicks sing their song.

Dang, I had this idea and I
went to chop the trees on the right of my screenshot but didn't get a Korok leaf
and gave up on the idea... there's a pattern here, I'm getting the clues but I'm giving up on them too early.

Thanks again.

WolfeTone

Dang, I had this idea and I
went to chop the trees on the right of my screenshot but didn't get a Korok leaf
and gave up on the idea... there's a pattern here, I'm getting the clues but I'm giving up on them too early.

Thanks again.

No problem. I actually like that puzzle because there are two ways of solving it.
If you don't notice the colours you can also do it by just counting the rocks. I believe the rock numbers correspond to the order the Rito chicks are standing in.

No problem. I actually like that puzzle because there are two ways of solving it.
If you don't notice the colours you can also do it by just counting the rocks. I believe the rock numbers correspond to the order the Rito chicks are standing in.

I don't get the
significance of the colors? I did it by their order/numbers.

WolfeTone

I don't get the significance of the colors? I did it by their order/numbers.

Each note that the Rito's sing has a specific colour. The note that appears when you use the leaf on the rocks also has a colour. You can just match the colours instead of following the numbers.

This puzzle reminded me of Banjo-Kazooie.

dLMN8R

For the first one, sometimes trees have holes with an acorn sticking out of them. If you shoot an arrow to the acorn a Korok appears. You can also see acorns hanging from bridges a few times too.

For the second one I'm not sure what the poster meant. Usually you'll find Koroks by lifting rocks at peaks of mountains.

For the first one:
you can find an example of this in a tree on the south end of the Lake Hylia, on the east side of the bridge, near the edge of the water. Look around and you will see an acorn nested in the tree. Break it and a korok will appear.
There are many more like this hidden in trees and fallen logs.

For the second:
again you'll find an instance of this at Lake Hylia. Go to the center platform of the bridge, where enemies spawn. Climb over the western edge and you'll find a lip where Link can stand and run around (it is very narrow, so be careful). Somewhere on that lip is a tree branch. If you pick it up, a korok appears.
There are only a few puzzles like this, which feature unique objects that must be interacted with.

Thanks. The first I've done a few of, but the 2nd I had no idea. Will check it out.

WolfeTone

Can you guys put the solution to that puzzle in spoiler tags? I would rather not have known.

Fixed. Sorry if it ruined it for you.

What's the procedure for spoilers like that now? The game has been out for 3 months now and we have people talking about dragons and other stuff openly in the thread.

Red

Fixed. Sorry if it ruined it for you.

What's the procedure for spoilers like that now? The game has been out for 3 months now and we have people talking about dragons and other stuff openly in the thread.
I've mentioned dragons a few times and will go back and tag them in spoiler bars if anyone would like. I don't know what the procedure should be. To me, it is more important that puzzle solutions be handled more delicately than character or combat encounters. Without screenshots or specifics, "dragons" means little. Dragons have appeared in multiple previous Zelda games. Puzzle solutions spoil the experience, because they take away that engagement with the gameplay.

One thing has bothered me: the Master Sword is supposed to
glow and get its true power around Calamity Ganon or those tinged with its Malice (words of the Deku Tree). We know it does this around Guardians (why not mini ones though?) and Divine Beasts. I expected it to do the same against​ Silver type enemies because their description says they have been influenced by Ganon's magic, but it doesn't.
Why the inconsistency?

piggychan

glow and get its true power around Calamity Ganon or those tinged with its Malice (words of the Deku Tree). We know it does this around Guardians (why not mini ones though?) and Divine Beasts. I expected it to do the same against​ Silver type enemies because their description says they have been influenced by Ganon's magic, but it doesn't.
Why the inconsistency?

Have you tried the Lynels
within the Hyrule castle ?
and you not getting the silver ones mixed up with the white ones ??

Those mini ones have remained in the shrines and are used as a test. I guess since they have remained inside those shrines they have been untouched by Ganon's blight?

Have you tried the Lynels
within the Hyrule castle ?
and you not getting the silver ones mixed up with the white ones ??

Those mini ones have remained in the shrines and are used as a test. I guess since they have remained inside those shrines they have been untouched by Ganon's blight?

I haven't been inside the castle, but I read that the sword reacts anywhere in the castle. And no I'm pretty sure I'm not mixing white with silver. I've tested the sword with silver bokoblins, moblins and lizalfos. I have their pictures saved in my compendium.

Your explanation for the mini guardians is satisfying though. Somehow I hadn't noticed that they only appear inside shrines.

jariw

Why the inconsistency?

The Master Sword is area dependent, not enemy dependent.

BTW, I completed the 120 shrines today, after beating Ganon a couple of days ago. The reward armor for completing the shrines has such a logical upgrade materials for that armor. The game really is brilliantly designed to the very end.
I also got a medal from Kilton (for beating the moldugas). I now discovered that I have actually beaten the minority of the Hinoxes and the Taluses in the overworld. I guess for most of them, I've just marked them on the map and avoided them, since my playing style has been pretty pacifist most of the time.

jariw

I'm not sure this is true.
It's both. It powers up against Guardians regardless of location and it also always powers up in Hyrule Castle.

If that's the case, there might be some logic to that actually, given the location where
the guardians
where stored.

Anteo

Why the inconsistency?

The mini guardians inside the shirines are still under sheika control. The white enemies noy activating the sword is probably for balance or they just forgot about the sword when adding the text flavor.

What's the consensus on the official guide? Is it any good?

The publisher's website is pretty barren and I've never heard of them before.

Just did my first Divine Beast (Ruta).

irlPtDz.jpg

Ruta is one of favorites too!!

Also, for those who beat all the shrines and game, you should definitely try a new game and storm hyrule castle asap. Its quite amazing how to apply all the skills you've learn to scavenge for survival in a suicidal final boss rush!

W-00

I was exploring the Hebra region today when I came across one of the
hot springs
. Then I found some Icy Lizalfos on a ledge above it and accidentally knocked one down. It turns out that
hot spring + icy enemy = no more enemy
. I repeated it with the others and it was the same result. This game, man.

bibs

What's the consensus on the official guide? Is it any good?

The publisher's website is pretty barren and I've never heard of them before.

I bought and used it and I can tell you that it is really great and detailed. If you are stuck with the game and want to finish it, or simply want to see everything the game has to offer, it is real useful.

ChuyMasta

Does anyone know how to destroy the malice connecting the observation room in Hyrule Castle with the West passage?
It is the only thing in the way I cant figure out. That particular malice, once destroyed, would connect the west and east inner castle!
So frustrating

Edit: I googled it and there was another person asking the same in a different board. The thread was unanswered.

I mean, you can exit the observation room and jump west towards another entrance....but still, that malice is just in the way

N° 2048

This game is so good. Finally digging into it.

It's a little overwhelming but I'm just going with the flow. This sounds odd but it reminds me of Fallout 4 (one of my fav games of all time).

Pachimari

Sheikah Sensor, Temperature, and your noise level (for stealth purposes). The sensor one remains in Pro HUD (unless you turn the sensor off).
Thanks for explaining this to me. But what it the thing to the left of these 3 icons then? It shows frost and a sun and such.

This game is so good. Finally digging into it.

It's a little overwhelming but I'm just going with the flow. This sounds odd but it reminds me of Fallout 4 (one of my fav games of all time).

You also just started out? I feel like I'm on some kind of adventure, and it gets scary when the sun sets and it starts raining when I'm at a place I don't know anything about.

N° 2048

You also just started out? I feel like I'm on some kind of adventure, and it gets scary when the sun sets and it starts raining when I'm at a place I don't know anything about.

Yea only about 5 hours in, just got to the first village. I love stumbling upon Korok seed puzzles.

DonShula

Does anyone know how to destroy the malice connecting the observation room in Hyrule Castle with the West passage?
It is the only thing in the way I cant figure out. That particular malice, once destroyed, would connect the west and east inner castle!
So frustrating

Edit: I googled it and there was another person asking the same in a different board. The thread was unanswered.

I mean, you can exit the observation room and jump west towards another entrance....but still, that malice is just in the way

I just did it this past weekend but can't recall which area the observation room is. Is that the one with the balcony and the
Korok puzzle
next to a waterfall?

Caelus

Alright so I've done 102 shrines and 0 Divine Beasts so far, I really want to do all 120 before entering any of them but apparently there are 3 Shrine Quests contingent on the Divine Beast's activity? Like there's a Sand Seal racing dilemma dependent on Vah Naboris's storming throughout the desert, do I actually have to beat the dungeon to access the shrine quest(s)?

jnWake

Alright so I've done 102 shrines and 0 Divine Beasts so far, I really want to do all 120 before entering any of them but apparently there are 3 Shrine Quests contingent on the Divine Beast's activity? Like there's a Sand Seal racing dilemma dependent on Vah Naboris's storming throughout the desert, do I actually have to beat the dungeon to access the shrine quest(s)?

There are indeed some Shrines locked after Beast on the desert. There's at least one locked one on Zora region too.

GoldStarz

Yeah, in fact for one of them, you actually have to have one of the Champion weapons with you.

Caelus

There are indeed some Shrines locked after Beast on the desert. There's at least one locked one on Zora region too.

Thanks! Sigh, alright. Looks like I'll do at least 3 since it doesn't seem like any are locked behind Vah Rudania.

Damnit Nintendo, I just want to wear a classic-looking green tunic during cool cutscenes without paying for amiibo.

Yeah, in fact for one of them, you actually have to have one of the Champion weapons with you.

I thought it was the Ceremonial Trident needed for that quest, and not Mipha's trident? I"ll play through and see.

jariw

Ah in that case I don't think there's any shrine locked behind Divine Beast on Zora region.

Correct, there aren't any Zora shrines dependent on divine beasts. I did them all before the beast. Same with the volcano, IIRC.

Rito and Gerudo have such shrines, though.

JJShadow

Question about the Master Sword:
I just reached the Korok Forest, about 60 hours in, 2 Divine Beasts down and still more than half map to explore. I already have 11 Heart Containers, so getting 13 for the Sword shouldn't take me long. Should I get the Sword as soon as I get those 13 Heart containers, or better to save it for later? I'm asking this because I don't know if it's a weapon intended for more powerful enemies than the ones I usually find (most of my weapons are in the 30-60 attack power range atm and I'm doing fine)

I just reached the Korok Forest, about 60 hours in, 2 Divine Beasts down and still more than half map to explore. I already have 11 Heart Containers, so getting 13 for the Sword shouldn't take me long. Should I get the Sword as soon as I get those 13 Heart containers, or better to save it for later? I'm asking this because I don't know if it's a weapon intended for more powerful enemies than the ones I usually find (most of my weapons are in the 30-60 attack power range atm and I'm doing fine)

I don't see harm in getting it now, but it depends on your preference. It acts like a normal sword with 30 attack power and crappy durability forcing a 10-minute wait between breaks. It is very useful against Guardians and Divine Beasts (deals double damage and its durability is greatly increased against those enemies).

Whenever I have my MS not at full durability (no sparkle), I use it against normal enemies/ore until it breaks and recharges so that I'll have a "brand new" one and leave it for when I encounter Guardians.

DonShula

It's intended for guardian enemies and bosses. The base attack is 30 and when around those enemies or in Hyrule Castle the attack jumps to 60. There's no reason not to pick it up as soon as possible. You could even convert some stamina to hearts if you want to pick it up right now, and then convert those two hearts back to stamina after you get the sword.

It's intended for guardian enemies and bosses. The base attack is 30 and when around those enemies or in Hyrule Castle the attack jumps to 60. There's no reason not to pick it up as soon as possible. You could even convert some stamina to hearts if you want to pick it up right now, and then convert those two hearts back to stamina after you get the sword.

To clarify, by bosses you mean divine beasts. For world bosses (Lynel, Hinox, etc) he's better off using stronger weapons from his inventory.

Why 99% of breakable jars in this game don't contain anything? Seems like a departure from OoT days where breaking jars was rewarding... Why include them and make them breakable if they don't have anything?

I don't really have anything to add or question, but I just wanted to say something.

A lot of my friends who aren't gamers got a Switch, and one of them has been playing Zelda. She hasn't played a game in years and I was a little nervous when I heard that she got the game that she wouldn't like it or get frustrated.

So I was texting with her earlier, and she was really thrilled with it. She said she hadn't played a videogame in years, and she couldn't believe how engrossing the world was. She had beaten one of the beats (Zora), and had just been having the time of her life exploring. I had to tell her about the Sheikah Towers and then she was like, oh duh, but I was amazed at how the game played for someone who didn't play a lot of videogames.

And something she had mentioned was that how she really appreciate how Zelda was portrayed.

I don't know, this game means a lot to me, I'm really happy to see someone who doesn't play games really love it.

I don't really have anything to add or question, but I just wanted to say something.

A lot of my friends who aren't gamers got a Switch, and one of them has been playing Zelda. She hasn't played a game in years and I was a little nervous when I heard that she got the game that she wouldn't like it or get frustrated.

So I was texting with her earlier, and she was really thrilled with it. She said she hadn't played a videogame in years, and she couldn't believe how engrossing the world was. She had beaten one of the beats (Zora), and had just been having the time of her life exploring. I had to tell her about the Sheikah Towers and then she was like, oh duh, but I was amazed at how the game played for someone who didn't play a lot of videogames.

And something she had mentioned was that how she really appreciate how Zelda was portrayed.

I don't know, this game means a lot to me, I'm really happy to see someone who doesn't play games really love it.

This is a common story with this game.

My friend hasn't played a game in years (possibly since the PS2 or Gamecube), then he got a Switch and played Breath of the Wild for 300+ hours and 100% everything. I think he's still playing it actually.

I only played a handful of games last generation (PS3 and Wii), didn't buy a PS4 or Xbox this gen, stuck with the 3DS and didn't play much on that either. Built a gaming PC and didn't play a single game on it (despite collecting over a hundred games on Steam). I thought I had really outgrown games and that no game will ever affect me like they used to. Then I played Zelda and I fell in love like never before. Easily my favorite game ever. 200 hours and counting.

This game is phenomenal. It has literally changed my life and made me feel the joy of gaming like I haven't felt it in a long time.

Top Bottom