• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Branduil

I've played about 110+ hours and found around 190 seeds. But a large number of those have been in the last 20 hours, and tbh, you don't really need to get that many seeds. The weapon stash is the only inventory page that's really important and getting about 100 seeds will give you more than enough slots.

Took a little over 349 hours but I have completely 100%ed the entire game. I wish I could say I enjoyed the experience but at least it finally motivated me to buy phantom hourglass.

I can't understand why anyone would do this to themselves. I recently completed all shrines and loved every second of it, but the thought of getting every korok seed never even crossed my mind. Perhaps it's time for you to do some introspection and realize the issue may be within you and not the game? It should be obvious that spending 350 hours in something you don't enjoy and don't get any extrinsic reward for is profoundly sub-optimal, to say the least.

Hyrule Compendium

You spoiled
Selmie's cabin
straight away but didn't want to spoil the existence of
the Hyrule Compendium
? Seriously? :D

Yeah, I did that too. I had then to go back to the first one after I killed everything on the way.

Same. I was even stuck for a while with no clue what to do.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Anyone got any tips on how to get a blood moon?
I've been doing that infamous shrine quest, I slept 80 times, killed hundreds of mobs, yet no blood moon spawns.
What am I doing wrong? It's so stressing

KingBroly

Banned
The
Dragon spawning
seems to be inconsistent for me now and I don't really know why.
It's a bit frustrating and hurts my ability to farm resources.

I also need to figure out how to get a
Lynel Club.
It seems like the enemies with them have disappeared.

The
Dragon spawning

Lynel Club.

I just fought against one in the
Hebra Mountains left of Lake Kilsie... so you could try there :)

random25

The
Dragon spawning

Lynel Club.

Lynel with a club has a fixed spawn point, like all other lynels carrying a spear or a sword. If you meet one, remember the spot and return there every blood moon.

Koren

I'm only at ~350 korok seeds, and I'm finding less and less. It'll be a hard path till getting all of them (I still haven't found those where you need
a horse
)

I can't figure out the eighth heroine quest lol.

First time I got stuck for good.

I was stuck on this quest for the longest time as I found the
big sword
first, so I assumed it had to be around there.
I need to do it too, I've only tried a bit, because I can't find the person that should give a hint in the town... (well, I have found someone that refuse to talk to me).

I still have two other "shrine quests" pending: the one where you need to bring
shadow over something in the mountains east of Gerudo desert
, and the one where you need to
get that stupid orb from Impa

(and no, I don't need clues, but it's good to know people have struggled on those and finally found the solution)

KingBroly

Banned
Lynel with a club has a fixed spawn point, like all other lynels carrying a spear or a sword. If you meet one, remember the spot and return there every blood moon.

I must've missed it somewhere, as I've marked every Lynel on my Map. Guess I'll have to re-check

The
Dragon spawning

Lynel Club.

I could tell you some places to camp for the blue and red dragons that worked for me.

For the red dragon,
If you set up a fire on top of the Eldin Great Leviathan Skull, and wait till morning, he usually spawns around 8 a.m. He'll fly down from the sky and come right next to the giant skeleton. I did it 3 times in a row the other day.

For the blue dragon,
Set up a fire on top of the Lanayru Road East Gate and wait til night time. The dragon will spawn at the top of the mountain and fly right over the gate. He'll be so close that you could use a melee weapon on him.

Firebrand

I need to do it too, I've only tried a bit, because I can't find the person that should give a hint in the town... (well, I have found someone that refuse to talk to me).

Yeah, I don't know if that's a glitch or not, but the obvious person in town doesn't give any hints at all. I think it's just a matter of looking.

Majukun

seems like it's possible to live the plateau early,but even iff you manage that,the game let's yoiu explore a random amount of time and then kills you
the strange thing is that the kill doesn't seem to be triggered by anything...like the game just realize that you are outside and kills you.

shibbs

Without spoiling anything.. is it safe to sell ruby, opal and so on for rupees?
I know you can use them for gerudo jewelry.

Bowl0l

This parry might we've been posted before, but it's still cool.

That is one nice move. I might try it.

I've been doing that infamous shrine quest, I slept 80 times, killed hundreds of mobs, yet no blood moon spawns.
Cut down everything near the platform because the blood moon triggers when enemy/resources/foliage is reduced. When the sky is red, quickly stand naked on the platform.

Forkball

Blood mage Link

C9WIqAiVYAACcrn.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Don't try. It's unlikely that this is literally your last quest so go do something else and when you see a blood moon rising, fast travel to the nearby shrine
top of satori mountain lets you glide straight across
and then head to the platform.

Even if you don't notice until you see the cutscene, you still have plenty of time to get there

The story is a real letdown imo... I think even the DS Zeldas did a better job on the story.

The game is amazing but the story is very lacking. Nothing happens in the game storywise. Am I the only one?

I'm only at ~350 korok seeds, and I'm finding less and less. It'll be a hard path till getting all of them (I still haven't found those where you need
a horse
)

I still have two other "shrine quests" pending: the one where you need to bring
shadow over something in the mountains east of Gerudo desert
, and the one where you need to
get that stupid orb from Impa

(and no, I don't need clues, but it's good to know people have struggled on those and finally found the solution)

I did The Eighth Heroine with my girlfriend on the couch with me. We legit scoured the mountains for a solid hour+ before finding it, and it was in the final place I looked. I actually went all the way to the edge of the map one point trying to climb up and the game told me I had gone as far as I could.

Also, I know you legit just asked for no hints, so I'll spoiler tag this. This is for the follow up quest and it will save you time if you just do something now while searching for the heroine. Saves you a treck all the way back up the dumb mountain.
Take a good picture of the giant sword while you're up there now.

omg so if you haven't done devine beast up the lava mountain yet, pro-tip without spoiling anything - shoot at the beast with yanubo.

i just did the entire
"stealth" section, got to the top of the mountain and then realised that you have to keep shooting at the beast with the cannons, i thought they were for shooting the UFO things.

I did the exact same thing and I couldn't figure out what was happening when I reached the end. I reached the end with about a minute left, saved there, and tried everything I could think of. I resorted to looking it up in a let's play and realized that the beast was at the end with the guy. So I figured mine was glitched and I begrudgingly left and restarted the quest. I realized my mistake as soon as I started it. Luckily most everything stayed dead and I just pushed him up and finished the quest.

maxcriden

It's actually been confirmed for some time in August, the download page was recently updated. Second DLC slated for December.

Whoa, I completely missed that! Thank you so much. No wonder the Direct didn't mention it, since it was 99% focused on games through July.

The story is a real letdown imo... I think even the DS Zeldas did a better job on the story.

The game is amazing but the story is very lacking. Nothing happens in the game storywise. Am I the only one?

I think the story is told with an elegant simplicity, somewhere along the lines of a Team Ico game. The story is told through the exploration of Hyrule, the growth of Link through the actions you take as a player, the culmination of gradually learning what has been happening since Link last "went to sleep." It's a vast and slowly told epic. The final hour or so
where you storm Hyrule Castle, overcome Ganon, finally relieving Hyrule of his presence only to find Zelda looking out on her former kingdom with the inevitable disappointment that even though evil was conquered, the price was almost unbearable high. After 100 years, what to do next? Also, the 4 guardians are finally relieved of their temporal existence and allowed to pass into the unknown afterlife. It's melancholic and touching even though there is nothing complex about it.
It's beautiful and thoughtfully told and puts all the time you spent getting there in sharp perspective.

To think one wandered out of a cave and swung a stick only to end up where the game climaxes.

It's probably my favorite narrative experience this gen, alongside INSIDE.

So I totally disagree that "nothing" happens.

I think the story is told with an elegant simplicity, somewhere along the lines of a Team Ico game. The story is told through the exploration of Hyrule, the growth of Link through the actions you take as a player, the culmination of gradually learning what has been happening since Link last "went to sleep." It's a vast and slowly told epic. The final hour or so
where you storm Hyrule Castle, overcome Ganon, finally relieving Hyrule of his presence only to find Zelda looking out on her former kingdom with the inevitable disappointment that even though evil was conquered, the price was almost unbearable high. After 100 years, what to do next? Also, the 4 guardians are finally relieved of their temporal existence and allowed to pass into the unknown afterlife. It's melancholic and touching even though there is nothing complex about it.
It's beautiful and thoughtfully told.

It's probably my favorite narrative experience this gen, alongside INSIDE. I'll take simplicity and understatement over attempting to mimick the stupidity of Hollywood/TV (looking at you Uncharted 4) any day of the week, ESPECIALLY in the context of a video game which should be using the strength of the medium to make stronger experiences, not pretending to be anything but a video game.

Good post. My two favorite games of this gen, Bloodborne and BotW, are my faves for a variety of reasons, but I like that both tell their story in an understated, fragmented way that doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

It's hard to admit, but after playing the game every day for 3 weeks, my interest in it has really waned now that I've only got around a dozen or so Shrines to go.

The really interesting part about this game to me is that so much of it compelled me to keep moving forward, but the one thing in it I never found interesting was the actual main goal of defeating Ganon. Like, I have a ton of inventory space and hearts and stamina and gear now, and I know that I could just waltz into the final boss fight and beat it handily, but I feel no real desire to do that. I was enjoying the world, the exploration, and the Shrines.

I don't know if I will ever actually finish the main story of this game. I still like it a lot, but I think it's fascinating that I don't think I would ever do this with any other game.

I'd give it a break for a few days and then come back and head straight to Ganon. The finale is well worth experiencing.

It's hard to admit, but after playing the game every day for 3 weeks, my interest in it has really waned now that I've only got around a dozen or so Shrines to go.

The really interesting part about this game to me is that so much of it compelled me to keep moving forward, but the one thing in it I never found interesting was the actual main goal of defeating Ganon. Like, I have a ton of inventory space and hearts and stamina and gear now, and I know that I could just waltz into the final boss fight and beat it handily, but I feel no real desire to do that. I was enjoying the world, the exploration, and the Shrines.

I don't know if I will ever actually finish the main story of this game. I still like it a lot, but I think it's fascinating that I don't think I would ever do this with any other game.

Not to sound cheeky, but I think that's the entire point of the game and they succeeded with you. It's a common sentiment in this thread that people don't want to storm the castle nearly as much as they want to keep exploring (I know I don't). We're given almost complete freedom in how we want to play the game, just like Nintendo promised.

Come back to it in a few days and I'm sure you'll want to finish.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Nothing to admit - I think that sounds like a reasonable stance. I think part of the pleasure with me at the moment is finding new things at every turn. If I'd scoured the map and done everything except a handful of shrines I might find it a chore

Firebrand

Just keep playing and every morning warp to the stables by Dueling Peaks and talk to moon guy about what tonight's moon is going to be.

I had the same feeling when heading towards the boss. I think this game, more than many, encompasses the idea of it being about the journey vs the final destination.

Koren

Hold up your shield, press A at the correct time.
A? I only use X (jump) to avoid attacks. Is it a matter of mapping, or did I missed a whole part of the mechanics?

(I also wonder how you efficiently kill white linels, I barely damage it with 30+ weapons, +3 attack and
barbarian
outfit :/ )

GRW810

A? I only use X (jump) to avoid attacks. Is it a matter of mapping, or did I missed a whole part of the mechanics?

(I also wonder how you efficiently kill white linels, I barely damage it with 30+ weapons, +3 attack and
barbarian
Stasis and attack. I'm not nearly good enough at dodging to consistently rely on flurry attacks.

I also found yesterday that a bow that launches multiple arrows is effective when firing the bomb variety at a Lynel. I knocked a chunk of its HP off before the battle even really began.

barbarian

It's A. I don't know if the game tells you somewhere. A friend of mine told me about it.

Stasis on Lynels is effective, but I found it much easier to just figure out the dodge timing for flurry attacks.

SuperKing

Neo Member
Are there other combat 'moves' besides flurry rush? Seems weird that they show all 4 buttons when you dodge but only Y does anything. But I haven't heard anyone mention being able to learn new skills either...

maxcriden

barbarian

Stasis and attack. I'm not nearly good enough at dodging to consistently rely on flurry attacks.

I also found yesterday that a bow that launches multiple arrows is effective when firing the bomb variety at a Lynel. I knocked a chunk of its HP off before the battle even really began.

It's A. I don't know if the game tells you somewhere. A friend of mine told me about it.

Stasis on Lynels is effective, but I found it much easier to just figure out the dodge timing for flurry attacks.

The game teaches you how to parry and do similar moves in the shrine in K
akariko
V
illage
. I've had a hard time with it also. For a long time I was ok with not parrying but now I want to know how to really properly pull it off because it sounds satisfying to do. I think I did it once recently but just barely.

Regarding the Lynels, I find
when they shoot their fire breath if you're near grass it's a good opportunity to ride a gust, shoot them with an arrow if possible (shock arrows in the face seem to stun them for a moment but could just be my imagination) and land on them to mount them. Mounting the Lynels similar to mounting Argorak in Twilight Princess seems to be a good opportunity to get a good amount of damage in.

As you guys mentioned, attack buffs are helpful, and I think we may have tried the multiple arrow trick as well and I think I remember it helping as described as GRW810 describes above. I definitely feel like it's more doable with a good shield and/or armor set (upgraded Hateno Village armor set is very helpful) and a level 50+ weapon.

Are there other combat 'moves' besides flurry rush? Seems weird that they show all 4 buttons when you dodge but only Y does anything. But I haven't heard anyone mention being able to learn new skills either...

Sneakstrike is one. The only place I remember learning (and not retaining very well) new skills is the shrine in K
akariko
V
illage,
but you can do them prior to that in the game; it's just only after that point do they show up in your pause menu as moves with instructions.

Pinky

Banned
Took back control of my second Divine Beast last night
(Vah Ruta/Zora's Domain). Waterblight Ganon's second phase was a little tricky, but I figured it out with little issue.
Two down, two to go!

jotun?

So I beat Ganon, got all shrines, all side quests, upgraded almost all of the armor, got 409 korok seeds, but there are two things bugging me:

1. On the System menu, below Save, Load, and Options, there's an Ability Controls list. The lowest entry there is still "???". What the hell is it?

2. How are there still almost 500 koroks out there? I've explored almost everywhere, I was always on the lookout for them, and I only skipped a few that were too troublesome. Are there whole classes of korok puzzles that I've just completely overlooked?

Anyone else here love the minigame music? For some odd reason it gives me SNES era nostalgia.

Edit: I'm mostly referring to the horse and shield-surfing minigames music.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So I beat Ganon, got all shrines, all side quests, upgraded almost all of the armor, got 409 korok seeds, but there are two things bugging me:

1. On the System menu, below Save, Load, and Options, there's an Ability Controls list. The lowest entry there is still "???". What the hell is it?

2. How are there still almost 500 koroks out there? I've explored almost everywhere, I was always on the lookout for them, and I only skipped a few that were too troublesome. Are there whole classes of korok puzzles that I've just completely overlooked?
1. It's probably the one you learn if you talk to
the guy in Kakariko at night.
I didn't have that one for the longest time.

IronRinn

All beasts retaken, all memories recovered. 110 shrines down, some weapons and shield slots left to go (maxed bows), bunch of armor upgrades left. I have entered into make or break territory for me as far as Zelda games go. Many installments of this series have gone unfinished because I lose interest trying to complete everything.

Top Bottom