• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

maxcriden

Any idea when hard mode comes out? I'm almost done but don't want to finish because I don't want to do second playthrough until I can play on hard...

It's part of DLC Pack One, which releases this summer. So probably sometime in or after June and before September given Nintendo's usual definition of summer but beyond that we don't know.

Also all around
Death Mountain
(which is where I'm at atm :p)

Trying to think where else we have seen them. I want to say one way somewhere in F
aron
but now I can't think of where.

Kangi

Started cracking up at a
Yiga Clan assassin posing as a merchant
who started getting extremely offended when I refused to buy his bananas, and just barely stopped himself from
pledging himself to bananas instead of Master Kohga

I'd complain about
the frequency in which the Yiga Clan shows up
, but they're such a good source of weapons.

Nosgotham

Started cracking up at a
Yiga Clan assassin posing as a merchant
who started getting extremely offended when I refused to buy his bananas, and just barely stopped himself from
pledging himself to bananas instead of Master Kohga

I'd complain about
the frequency in which the Yiga Clan shows up
, but they're such a good source of weapons.

One time I bought all the bananas. Thousands of rupees just to see the dialogue lol

I'm going for 900 seeds too. I've been trying to space out how I play and explore; I don't want to end up with this huge amount of Korok seeds still left but nothing else in the world to do. That will happen at some point eventually, obviously, but I'm at 430 seeds right now with plenty of shrines to find and do, a Divine Beast left to conquer, side quests, armor upgrades and of course defeating Ganon. Also, I've heard mentioned at least two minigames I have not seen a glimpse of.

Hopefully I won't have more than say 200-250 seeds to go once the grind truly begins.

I think I still have a few outstanding side quests, I still see people with the little red icons so I know I still at least have a few quests left

everything else is done

just need to reach 900

I have been spending 3-5 hours each day now, just reached 512 seeds lol

one_kill

I just finished the game with around 42% completed. BoTW is the first Zelda I have finished.

I did all 120 shrines, but I have 2-3 shrine quests that I didn't activate (I assume I can activate and complete these). I will probably leave it as it is and play other games. I hope the DLC is relatively expansive because I want to play more.

rekameohs

Banned
Going to Hyrule Castle as early as I did has proven to be useful (20 hours in, Zora Divine Beast actives but not completed yet, basically everything else unexplored). There's a lot of great shit in there. I did get wrecked by Ganon, but these will really come in handy. Also, 20 hours in with as little accomplished as I have is a really, really good sign for a game.

k91191

Saw these spooky portals on reddit.

papeipou said:
I was chopping down a ton of trees at the stable outside of
Rito Village
. After a while they started to create these bubbling portal looking things, and then a while after that black smoke started to come out from downed trees as well. I got freaked out and left- does something happen if you keep chopping? I tried to interact with the "portals" but couldn't figure it out.

papeipou said:
Alright guys, pretty dumb of me to post this during my long day at work, lol! As soon as I get home (about 6 hours from now) I will share my screenshots.

EDIT: Here is the portal!
CqCU2YA.jpg

9Czdpwm.jpg

Heading over to
Rito
now to try and recreate it for a video with the smoke!

Edit: Might have been a glitch; I just fell the entire forest without this happening again. There may be something to it though, since I notice there is a portion of the forest that regenerates if you have your back turned.

papeipou said:
My pause is that this graphic isn't for anything else as far as I can recognize, and it happened consistently with each tree after a lot of chopping, and then after ignoring it long enough it also appeared with three wisps of smoke at each end and in the center of each felled tree. The smoke dissipates quickly but the portals hang around for about a minute, even after the tree is turned into wood.

papeipou said:
Yes I can, I'm on WiiU, no idea about game version? It just downloaded an update as I was booting it up now. If you view the top comment I just edited it with a photo of the portal thing.

Edit; here's a screen grab with a pot over location:
http://i.imgur.com/7zYPwXR.jpg MAP SPOILERS
http://i.imgur.com/W3DdJSl.jpg MAP SPOILERS

Sorry no idea how to take a real one so I'm taking photos of the TV- lol

papeipou said:
I was at the stable where you get the double axe; I believe Woodland, but it may have been one further South. I chopped down about 5-7 trees that were spaced out around the stable and rode to them on my horse. It was morning. The stable is on the corner of a road and has a cliff face very close behind it, with an open field in front and another cliff face visible on the opposite side. The trees I chopped were to the left of the stable when facing the entrance, and three in the middle of the field across the road.

Then I remembered the woods outside of
Rito
were very plentiful, and fast traveled there. I started at the logs outside of the stable by the stumps, and then chopped down some of the closest standing trees. I worked forward on the trees to the right of the trail when facing the stable about 4-5 trees deep towards the South. I did not bare the woods at this point. I went back towards the stable and grabbed another axe, and while there I chopped up the logs under the two overhangs on the side and back of the stable.

I chopped the trees in the immediate vicinity to the southeast of the stable, up until the first octorok. I think I got turned around at this point, because the trees closest to the stable regenerate when they're outside of the screen. At some point the trees began to develop portals when they fell. It couldn't have been too long because I used a used double axe and then when it broke a woodcutters. The portals spawned when the tree had finished the motion dropping to the ground, and always appeared wrapped around the center of the log. The portal would stay for 60 seconds and then disappear. I tried to center the log in the middle, crouch through it, shoot it with an arrow or hit it with a weapon, throw an apple through, and eventually took a photo to see if the Compendium could tell me anything. The Compendium did not give any indication it recognized anything being there.

I chopped down, I would estimate, another 12-15 trees. Then the smoke occurred; the animation would start as a black "cloud" coming out from under the log and then dissipating into three wisps at either end of the log and in the center.

This continues until I fast traveled from the area.

SOURCE: https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/657apk/whats_up_with_the_trees_near_rito_village/

Nia

Trying to find the last ten Shrines has made me feel like Samurai Jack. Chasing a lead that doesn't pan out. My quest continues...

Smellycat

The Akkala region is the most stunning area of the game. It is drop dead beautiful. I am going to leave it as the last region to explore after I finish the 4th dungeon

Memles

Trying to find the last ten Shrines has made me feel like Samurai Jack. Chasing a lead that doesn't pan out. My quest continues...

Yeah. I'm down to 6, and managed to find one tonight (in
Hebra
) but have many other fruitless game sessions. I keep trying to use the map as my guide, but the empty spots that I presume should have a spot in them just aren't activating the Shrine sensor.

duckroll

Beat the game after about 90 hours. Found almost 100 shrines, less than 90 seeds, probably still have a few dozen things in the world to discover and complete. But... I think the adventure must finally take a back seat so I can continue playing FFXIV and finish Persona 5. Lol.

One of the best games I have ever played.

AniHawk

Beat the game after about 90 hours. Found almost 100 shrines, less than 90 seeds, probably still have a few dozen things in the world to discover and complete. But... I think the adventure must finally take a back seat so I can continue playing FFXIV and finish Persona 5. Lol.

better than hybrid heaven?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OH SHIT, I thought I was still missing a shrine quest, but turns out I had completed it already
(spiral beach shrine), and I just needed to read a stone tablet in order to mark it as completed.

So I guess the last shrine I need is really just well hidden, which is kind of a relief since all I need to do is keep an eye on the sensor. Or at least I hope so.

Where is that stone? Certain I've done that shrine but don't remember a quest for it

Anyone have a link to a pic of the map showing the number of shrines in specific sections of the map?

I saw someone posted it a week ago but I can't find. I like it because it gives me a general idea of where to look for shrines, but doesn't outright tell me exactly where they are.

I thought I saved it, but I can't find it.

Chinbo37

I still haven't been able to attack a
dragon
yet.

Every time I see them on the map they are too far away. Can you fast travel to a shine that is close to them and they would still be there?

kizmah

My girlfriend gave the highest praise to Zelda a game can possibly get last night. She is not a gamer, never has been. She enjoys playing Snipperclips with me though but even that she finds complicated to control. But last night she said: "Play som Zelda, I can just watch you play. It's fun, like watching a movie. If only I could handle the controls I would really like to play myself."

That's huge coming from someone who never plays games outside of few point and click ipad-puzzlers I introduced her to. Breath of the wild really has that certain something.

Speely

Banned
dragon
yet.

Every time I see them on the map they are too far away. Can you fast travel to a shine that is close to them and they would still be there?

One of them you can easily get close to via tower. Spoilers if you want em for good camp spots.

Bridge of Hylia top. Farosh

Great Eldin Skeleton. Dinraal

East Lanaryu Gate. Naydra

Note that the last two spots have access to
Lynels
close by, and the last is a bit dangerous if you don't take it out first.

Edit: last two are around 1am to 3am as well, iirc.

Twiforce

dragon
yet.

A good place to travel to is the
Lakeside Stable in Faron.
Sit by a fireplace next to the stable and wait till night; then run to
Floria Bridge over the lake.
This is a guaranteed way to get an encounter with
Farosh, and the bridge it flies over makes a convenient jumping point for shooting arrows at it.

I haven't found a spot to conveniently and consistently find the other dragons yet.

mirrored

Neo Member
I finally got enough heart containers to get the
Master Sword

Should I trade in all or some of my heart containers for stamina at the
shrine in Hateno village?

zeexlash

It's part of DLC Pack One, which releases this summer. So probably sometime in or after June and before September given Nintendo's usual definition of summer but beyond that we don't know.

It's actually been confirmed for some time in August, the download page was recently updated. Second DLC slated for December.

Kingbrave

Found 100 shrines and defeated Ganon. Wasn't intending to but was in the neighborhood and thought eh, why not?

I've played for 70+ hours and that's the most I've played any game other than WoW in a long time. Great game. Loved it.

One thing that holds this game back for me, is that while the design of the world is incredible, there's no real spin on the setting. It's (kind of ) "vanilla hyrule"

One thing that holds this game back for me, is that while the design of the world is incredible, there's no real spin on the setting. It's (kind of ) "vanilla hyrule"
Its the idealised, perfect version of Hyrule to me.

I've said it before, but after this I'm hoping they ditch Hyrule/Gerudos/Zola/Gorons/Koroks etc.

The post apocalyptic thing makes no difference to me because the tone of the world feels relaxed. I had thought of the tech thing - but it doesnt do anything for me in terms of exploration.

I actually think the sub bosses make the biggest difference.

Firebrand

The statue itself is on the map before you find it, but you do have to zoom in.
Look at the other statues and find a similar shape/colour

But once you get there it gets a title/label on the map

I was stuck on this quest for the longest time as I found the
big sword
first, so I assumed it had to be around there.

Cartho

I finally got enough heart containers to get the
Master Sword

Should I trade in all or some of my heart containers for stamina at the
shrine in Hateno village?

I powered enough hearts to get
the Master Sword (13)
and now am focusing on Stamina. I may go for more hearts once I've got a second full stamina wheel, not sure yet.

random25

It's no post-apocalyptic world. Only Hyrule Castle and the nearby towns got wrecked, while others stayed the same. The world of Hyrule simply "got stuck" for 100 years. The evil can't do much because it's being held up by Zelda. The good can't do anything because they don't have any power to stop it.

TheJoRu

Its the idealised, perfect version of Hyrule to me.

I've said it before, but after this I'm hoping they ditch Hyrule/Gerudos/Zola/Gorons/Koroks etc.

Absolutely. I love this Hyrule, but there's room to go a little more crazy in terms of setting for the next game.

Though I was so happy to see a proper return of the Gerudo. They hadn't really been there since Majora's Mask. I love the Gerudo culture, you always get this sense of "oh, I'm far from home" being this male Hylian stranger among the strong and occasionally intimidating Gerudo women.

The fact that they nailed it so well the first time around makes me excited for the future. I'm totally down for a decade and a half of iterating on this standard as we saw with OoT.

And like I've said 100 times - this engine deserves its Majora's Mask/Galaxy 2 moment while we wait on the true successor. I want to know what they do with all of the core pieces in place and freedom to do whatever the hell they want without being seriously concerned about assets and the code.

I think it's fine this game had vanilla hyrule because it's the first time we've ever seen it at this scale, and with this much detail. I certainly don't compare BotW's hyrule with OoT's hyrule and think to myself "I've already seen this before".

I would agree that they couldn't do another big open world hyrule without some serious twists, though.

Red

I don't see how the overworld is "vanilla Hyrule"—what is that even? Many of the regions are totally unique to this game, and even the ones that aren't have unique features like flooded towns and deep ravines that haven't really been seen before.

The only "vanilla" geography I can think of is the middle Hyrule plain area.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The spin is that its post apocalyptic with tech bits, TP shows a bit more of what a vanilla hyrule is.

It's horizon : Zelda dawn

Kind of odd how both are open world, set thousands of years after the civilisation reaching a highly technologically advanced state, with modern life being simple, corrupted enemies roaming around.

It's like Armageddon and Deep Impact, or Volcano and Dantes Peak

I'm loving both of them for different reasons. Horizon I got way more into the story, the combat and the creature variety. Zelda is grabbing me more with the world building and exploration

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was stuck on this quest for the longest time as I found the
big sword
first, so I assumed it had to be around there.

Same. Needed a hint from here about the map before I could find it.
big sword
is useful later on so luckily I already had a photo of it

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
omg so if you haven't done devine beast up the lava mountain yet, pro-tip without spoiling anything - shoot at the beast with yanubo.

i just did the entire
"stealth" section, got to the top of the mountain and then realised that you have to keep shooting at the beast with the cannons, i thought they were for shooting the UFO things.

Yeah, I did that too. I had then to go back to the first one after I killed everything on the way.

GRW810

How are people finding so few? I've got nearly 200 without having yet explored Hebra and Tabantha and I don't actively hunt them out by any means.

I just go about my journey and pick up any suspicious rock, activate any tree stump or pinwheel task or jump through any lilypad circle I come across.

I'm absolutely confident of naturally finding 300 by the time I take on Ganon, though I might push for 450 to reach halfway.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
How are people finding so few? I've got nearly 200 without having yet explored Hebra and Tabantha and I don't actively hunt them out by any means.

I just go about my journey and pick up any suspicious rock, activate any tree stump or pinwheel task or jump through any lilypad circle I come across.

I'm absolutely confident of naturally finding 300 by the time I take on Ganon, though I might push for 450 to reach halfway.
I'll tell you how:

When going about their journey they don't come across/notice as many suspicious rocks, tree stumps, pinwheel tasks or lilypad circle.

Top Bottom