• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Saw something neat this morning. Was on Proxim Bridge and
jumped up on the bridge's ledge so I could get a better view downstream, and an NPC saw me and started talking me down like he thought I was going to jump or something lol

Anyway, I'be been 4 shrines shy of 120 for almost a week now. 2 of them are shrine quests. I may have to just give in and look for help online, because I cannot find them anywhere...

I've never followed an OT this long during my 11 year GAF career. Do threads get moved here when they get too big or after an X amount of time?

Neways, I ran around with the green tunic and for some reason it didn't feel right in this game, so I went back to the soldier armor, but it did look cool while it lasted.

giphy.gif

GRW810

There are a lot of different Korok puzzles.

A pile of leaves here and there.
Similarly,
melt an ice block to reveal a lone rock under which a Korok will be hiding.

I encountered the above-quoted Korok puzzle for the first time earlier. Shot a fire arrow at an enemy which missed and hit a
pile of leaves.
As soon as I saw the
rock
I knew I'd found a Korok.

Koren

Similarly,
melt an ice block to reveal a lone rock under which a Korok will be hiding.
Sometimes it's not even under a rock.

There's a couple places where I can't find a single Korok, and it seems strange :/

Like (IIRC) the
watery plain
in Akala where
there's plently of dead Guardians, two moving ones, and a half-functionning one

Also, the place close to the first Lynel you'll probably encounter, on the east, where you have
a lot of vertical currents and two lakes at the bottom, is full of boulders, both metal and non-metal, and I wonder... I've actually found something "interesting" here, but I doubt the boulders are there for that...

Is the 8th memory in the picture list inside of Hyrule castle?
I'm sure it is (read it several times), even if I haven't entered the castle yet myself.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just finished the game so summing up my thoughts as followed

Honestly when the game was shown off at E3 2016, I was nervous as the game seemed to be going against to what I love about the Zelda series and it seemed to be taking cues from Link Between World, my least favourite Zelda game, so naturally I wasn’t too hot going into Breath of the Wild but I was willing to give it a chance and even brought the Switch to play it on.

From when I first started the game it felt really big and everything was scary and I kept running away from enemies with the mind-set that I would come back later to beat them up which is funny as they were weak enemies and I was still yet to leave the plateau.

But I kept on going because I had myself a list of goals,

• get 10 hearts,
• get the Master Sword,
• get the Hylian Shield,
• get Epona,
• Play the game as normal.

To get the hearts required I would need complete the shrine and obtain the spirit orb and exchange them for hearts, so I decided to explore Hyrule and climb the towers to unlock the map…honestly I didn’t find climbing up towers to uncover the map to be fun and just wanted it to be done and over with.

Shrine challenges were a mixed bag for me as they were fun but they were no substitute to the real meat of what I like about the Zelda series, the dungeon to which Breath of wild falls fails at.

Dungeons in the game are a joke as they are just a bigger version of Shrine challenges and are done so quickly thus making them feel underwhelming as the game hype them before with the mission to gain entry into the dungeons and the 4 dungeons count doesn’t help as every dungeons play out the same way. Bosses are also underwhelming as the Master Sword makes quick work of them and time I was getting frustrated with the shitty voice acting hampering my enjoyment of the game.

Ah yes the voice acting, a first for the Zelda series and hopefully the last as Nintendo clearly cheap out as the English cast ranged from being decent to downright terrible, especially Zelda’s as the actress and their fake British accent and completely ruining the more serious moment of the game thus making their impact less meaningful and giving me little reason to care about the story not that I cared about the champions as they were very one-note animé tropes with very little screen time and Ganon the supposedly big bad evil barely left an impression on me as his presence meant jack and was we the player were told and we never saw it, more so as Hyrule looked fine.

But my biggest pet peeve was the stupid mechanic that is the “weapon breakage” it got very annoying when in combat and suddenly the my weapon breaks making me to pause the game just to switch weapons, during my final hour of the game I switched to a new bow that had high durability stats but it mean jack as the it didn’t take long for the bow to break leaving me pissed off. Not even the Master Sword is immune to the weapon durability as it will somehow “run out of energy” and will enter a 10 minute charging state till it can be used again and as a result I ended up avoiding fighting though enemies as I didn’t see the point in fighting them, have the weapon break and then take their weapons only for it to break later down the line which meant that if I wanted another one I would have to fight them again. It was padding that didn’t need to exist, it also meant that enemies variety was limited as they had use enemies that could carry weapons thus resulting in recolours despite the fact that they bizarrely omitted Darknut, one of my favourite Zelda enemies and would love fighting them.

Combat was also another problem for me as I had to fight with the camera and fighting enemies like Tatlus was a pain as I had to fight with the lock on system, the camera and Link climbing ability, which is a feat as I never had problem in past Zelda game so Breath of the Wild truly is breaking Zelda convention.

But my biggest problem with the game is that I never once felt immerse with the game due to me not being able to self-insert myself in the game as they removed the option to rename Link, the subpar cheap youtuber voice actings and the mission scrolling across the screen pulling me right out of the game which was annoying when I finished the game as the pulled that crap there thus denying me the chance to absorb the game.

In summary I felt meh towards the game as the 4 dungeons were very one note, lacked atmosphere thus meant that I spent most of the game exploring Hyrule which was fun at the start but got boring very quickly as in past Zelda game I broke it with dungeon so it gave a sense that I was on a grand adventure, something that I never felt with Breath of the Wild as It felt like I was doing one big side quest just for final area of the game which also felt disappointing with some section being tack on or shoehorned in.

I don’t normally leave scores as my opinion can change over time but honestly speaking I do not think that this will happen with Breath of the Wild and to me it is a 5/10 game rather than the high praise that the game is getting and I wonder how future Zelda game will handle the “open air” approach in conjunction with the tradition Zelda game as I believe that both style can work which is something that Nintendo will have to figure out how to make it work to appease both party.

Vuze

These little "tip" videos on YouTube are great. Parrying guardian beams with the shitty beginner shield = priceless <3

I can scan each of my non-zelda amiibos once every 24 hours, right? Or is it one non-zelda amiibo every 24 hours? (or whatever the reset time is)
Once a day per amiibo, no overall limit that I know of. Though if you spawn a bunch of things without picking any up, they might start despawning? I wasn't sure if I was just imagining that, so I would stop and gather stuff after 4 or so.
So I just completed a ' major test of strength shrine, found another shrine nearby and it's ' another major test of strength!
By the time I decided to take them on I had like 4 banked.

Red

So is the diamond circlet worth wearing? What benefit does it provide? Does "increased guardian resistance" mean it lessens laser damage? Will this benefit me with only three hearts? I pretty much stick to barbarian armor for the damage effect, which has been valuable for me. Defense effects are negligible since I can't take much damage anyway.

Anteo

So is the diamond circlet worth wearing? What benefit does it provide? Does "increased guardian resistance" mean it lessens laser damage? Will this benefit me with only three hearts? I pretty much stick to barbarian armor for the damage effect, which has been valuable for me. Defense effects are negligible since I can't take much damage anyway.

Upgrading armor is much more effective than hearts in this game, you can make it so lynels deal like 4 hearts.

Edit: Unrelated: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Taking Kass To Meet Another Kass

I've been re-playing Golden Sun and the frost power in that reminds me of the cryosis in this.

Practically the same, except you know being limited in GS.

I'm having a hard time deciding which game to play next. I'll be beating BotW tonight for the final time now that I have all memories, and tomorrow I will be spending all day trying to force myself to get into my "next" game.

I already tried playing DOOM (newest), FFXV, Snake Pass, Yooka Laylee, Persona, and even tried going back to Last Guardian, but those games just ended up not holding my attention for long and I always end up coming back to Zelda. Problem is I want to save the rest of the game (compendium, monster medals, Korok seeds, etc.) for when the DLC hits, so I am letting a relative borrow the game meanwhile.

Ugh.

Golnei

I'm having a hard time deciding which game to play next. I'll be beating BotW tonight for the final time now that I have all memories, and tomorrow I will be spending all day trying to force myself to get into my "next" game.

I already tried playing DOOM (newest), FFXV, Snake Pass, Yooka Laylee, Persona, and even tried going back to Last Guardian, but those games just ended up not holding my attention for long and I always end up coming back to Zelda. Problem is I want to save the rest of the game (compendium, monster medals, Korok seeds, etc.) for when the DLC hits, so I am letting a relative borrow the game meanwhile.

Ugh.

I guess it depends what you're looking for, but I found Nier Automata to be a good choice to follow up on BoTW because of how it excels at the complete opposite aspects - putting a much heavier focus on its narrative alongside decent enough combat and amazing music, while the environment is just a near-linear backdrop with little to no interactivity.

Ugh.

You will absolutely hate FFXV now after Zelda. I liked the game but I cant ever imagine going back to it after getting accustomed to the freedom in Zelda.

The Last Guardian is a good one though. I absolutely loved that game and even though there are bugs and stuff that will annoy you, the experience is so satisfying and emotionally fulfilling. It was my GOTY last year.

Red

Is there an easy way to get ancient cores? Im killing all sorts of gaudians and I can't get any to drop.
I think it is a random drop from guardians. I have a bunch. I don't know what chance they have of dropping, or if only certain guardian types drop them. But I'm pretty sure I have picked a few up from guardians in the overworld.
Truly a game to remember for ages, absolutely amazing
I have trouble parsing how impressed I am by it. Only a handful of games have left such a strong impression on me: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Halo, Minecraft, and Metroid Prime are a few that come to mind. BotW eclipses them all. Nothing really compares to how consistently it amazes me, or how it engages every time I dive back in.

Davide

I'm in the volcano area and getting kind of bored. It feels like none of the other divine beast quests are going to be as good as Zora's Domain.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I've just been playing around the world, while also grinding items to upgrade my armour, and I ended up back on the Great Plateau.

Ended up finding that there's
a pair of Hylian trousers in a chest right next to the Temple of Time I missed
and
the old man's diary in his hut

Kind of funny how even the beginning part of the game still has secrets to find long after beating the game.

The feel when there is no star fragment when you reach the light after traversing a entire region
Had one earlier which had landed in water. That was a bit of a dud.

Worst feeling in the game is finding some cool super secret shrine, take the lift down and it's A Major Test of Strength.

I'm in the volcano area and getting kind of bored. It feels like none of the other divine beast quests are going to be as good as Zora's Domain.
How do you know that without playing through all of them? Just keep on powering through I found it very rewarding.

I'm having a hard time deciding which game to play next.
I've found only instant action games give me the diversion I want after rolling around Zelda for hours at a time, particularly Nuclear Throne and Smash Bros.

Planescape Torment Extended Edition also just released, which is ultra tempting!

Ernest

Banned
Well, it took me a month of constant playing, and playing only this and nothing else, even TV shows took a backseat, but I finally "finished", or rather beat Gannon.

My only problem with the "post-game" is that
they put you right back to before fighting Ganon, instead of a cleared Hyrule castle, an actual post-game, disappointing especially after Zelda tells you of the stuff you still need to do - I'd love to have a clean, friendly Hyrule, with no blood moons and guardians that attack, or at least an option for that - maybe that's in the DLC

Took me 100 hours, with only 30% - which seems low to me, as I got all divine beasts, about 100 shrines, couple hundred Korok seeds, and I'm pretty sure I covered most, if not all, of the map. And not that I expected 100%, but more than 30%, maybe 50%.

Oh well, I'll get back to it eventually, maybe when DLC hits, in the meantime, I'll go back to all the games that had to go on the back-burner; Horizon, Nioh, FFXV, ME:A, and more (not to mention a backlog of TV shows)... shit, I am so behind on couch-time. Good problem to have, I guess.

Anteo

Well, it took me a month of constant playing, and playing only this and nothing else, even TV shows took a backseat, but I finally "finished", or rather beat Gannon.

My only problem with the "post-game" is that
they put you right back to before fighting Ganon, instead of a cleared Hyrule castle, an actual post-game, disappointing especially after Zelda tells you of the stuff you still need to do - I'd love to have a clean, friendly Hyrule, with no blood moons and guardians that attack, or at least an option for that - maybe that's in the DLC

Took me 100 hours, with only 30% - which seems low to me, as I got all divine beasts, about 100 shrines, couple hundred Korok seeds, and I'm pretty sure I covered most, if not all, of the map. And not that I expected 100%, but more than 30%, maybe 50%.

Oh well, I'll get back to it eventually, maybe when DLC hits, in the meantime, I'll go back to all the games that had to go on the back-burner; Horizon, Nioh, FFXV, ME:A, and more (not to mention a backlog of TV shows)... shit, I am so behind on couch-time. Good problem to have, I guess.

That % is for map discovery, includes korok seeds, shirines, beasts, visiting any named area, etc. Doesnt include quests or items.

JSSJDHDHDHDJ SCREAMING

I went to Hyrule Castle to complete two side quests but I ended up beating the game. &#128128;

I couldn't resist.

I didn't even go to the volcanic area. Lmfao.

Hustler

Ugh.

I'll be deciding between Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata, both games in eagerly awaiting.

Dr.Hadji

Near 2 hour critique of the game from Joseph Anderson

Only about 25 minutes in, will definitely finish it, I tend to always agree with him in things (he's the only one who shares my opinion of INSIDE, for example).

The dude says the game has no interesting puzzles, challenge or deep combat..... I kind of want to finish the video but I'm pretty sure combat isn't "deep" to him because he used one dominate strat in battle or puzzles aren't interesting because no "easy" puzzle can be interesting and there is no challenge because he wolfed down potions.

Blues1990

Okay, after wasting so much time finding the shrines legitimately, I only have one more to find....And I don't know where it could be.

Is there some sort of online check-list for the shrine locations? It would help so much to narrow down where the last shrine dungeon is. :(

Top Bottom