• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jotun?

Worst feeling in the game is finding some cool super secret shrine, take the lift down and it's A Major Test of Strength.
Really? It's a good fight, and you get cool weapons and guardian parts from it!

The worst is when it's just a "blessing" shrine. Those just make it feel like the designers ran out of ideas.

Really? It's a good fight, and you get cool weapons and guardian parts from it!

The worst is when it's just a "blessing" shrine. Those just make it feel like the designers ran out of ideas.

Too many identical combat shrines. 1 or 2 would be fine. The blessings are ok because it was usually a puzzle outside to access the shrine.

_Clash_

Why did a new release OT get moved to community so fast?

New peeps won't find thread and discussion will slow, a shame because Zelda newbs will be buying and wanting to chat about this for ages

Why did a new release OT get moved to community so fast?

New peeps won't find thread and discussion will slow, a shame because Zelda newbs will be buying and wanting to chat about this for ages
Its just the standard thread rules. Without community the main forum would be unusable.

StAidan

Finished.

- 115 hours
- 120 shrines
- 323 (I think) korok seeds

There's so much I could say about this game, but I'll keep it simple. Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda entry since Ocarina of Time, and quite possibly the greatest Zelda game ever made. It has its own share of flaws, but ultimately my feelings boil down to this: This world is the Hyrule I always dreamed of as a child, when I constantly pored over the illustrations in the manual for the original Legend of Zelda. Everything feels alive -- the grass, the wind, the wildlife, the towns.

The Legend of Zelda was originally conceived as a grand adventure, a world full of monsters and secrets. Until Breath of the Wild, Zelda had increasingly been abandoning that legacy. I had basically given up hope that we would ever see a return to the original spirit of Zelda, stuck with crappy puzzles and uninspiring puzzle dungeons forever. But here we are, and I couldn't be happier or more grateful to Nintendo (and even Aonuma) for realizing Hyrule in the way I always wanted.

For the first time in nearly 20 years, I actually want to replay a Zelda game.

Thanks, Nintendo.

Menitta

Just beat the game. I've never been a huge Zelda fan. I like a few of them but I've never held the series that close to heart. BOTW is not only my favorite in the series, it's without a doubt one of the best games I've played in the last 19 years. It's fucking excellent.

I've always had trouble finishing Zelda games. I've never stuck with a Zelda game from beginning to end. This is the first time where it's all I've wanted to play. If I got this game not right before spring break, I would've been in trouble.

My final playtime says 55+ hours but it didn't feel like I played that little. Other than the little bit of P5 I played this week, the majority of what I've played the past two weeks was Zelda.

So I just finished it and if I want to keep exploring the world, completing shrine etc, do I have to load my save of right before the final boss?

Is there not a continue from where the story ends?

Nia

All Divine Beasts reclaimed. Ganon defeated, all Shrines conquered, all quests completed, and full Heart Containers. I'm pretty much done with the game until the DLC comes out. I'm not insane enough to get all the Koroks.

With that said, this game had a good number of cute NPCs. So I made a list of my favorites.

FhHoucd.jpg

Anteo

So I just finished it and if I want to keep exploring the world, completing shrine etc, do I have to load my save of right before the final boss?

Is there not a continue from where the story ends?

Therr isnt a post game so yes you continue from your save before the boss.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doing another test of strength shrine, and wondering if those gaurdians are weak to a type of arrow?

O her than a very particular type (which I don't think I'd waste in a shrine), they don't seem particularly weak to any elemental arrows. Normal ones in the eye will stop it firing lasers at you and if you have enough, you can defeat one

Yeah after the Blood Moon I believe

If true, now I need a map showing which shrines have ancient cores in.. but I haven't uncovered all shrines so I'd need to be careful.

Golnei

O her than a very particular type (which I don't think I'd waste in a shrine), they don't seem particularly weak to any elemental arrows. Normal ones in the eye will stop it firing lasers at you and if you have enough, you can defeat one

Shock arrows work to stun them and ice arrows still freeze them, but Scouts are so open to being cheesed with Stasis that I hardly used them.

There are a lot of different Korok puzzles.

Metal boxes stacked in two identical formations, might be mirrored, rotated or even upside down. One is missing a box that needs to be inserted. Box might be in plain sight or hidden.

Nuts hanging on trees or inside holes in trees or tree trunks laying on the ground.

Glowing leaves swooshing around from place to place.

Statue offerings missing a fruit or two.

Three trees standing together, look at the apples.

Oddly placed rocks, for example on top of mountains, up in trees, a single rock on a small island or on top of a stone pillar, etc etc.

A pile of leaves here and there.

A circle of leaves in ponds or even lakes. Olympic diving!

A circle of stones on land, with one stone missing. That missing stone is located near the circle.

A circle of stones in water, with no stone missing from the circle. There are stones on a ledge or bridge above. NBA 2K18 Hyrule Edition time.

Metal balls attached to tree trunks with metal chains. There's a hole in the tree trunk. Another NBA 2K18 Hyrule Edition time!

A very random, rather big flower standing alone somewhere in the wild.

Spinning pinwheels, stand close to it and look around. Sometimes the puzzle is obvious but once I looked around and didn't see the obvious thing... but then I went again and it was the same kind as the obvious one, only less obvious and hidden in trees lol.

Boulders in pairs up on a hill, with a suspicious hole in the ground below. PGA Golf Tour Hyrule Edition!

Tree stumps with a picture of a Korok leaf on it and a leaf pointing somewhere. Run Forrest, RUN! ... or well, glide, climb, jump...

Honestly just interact with odd stuff. The balls on chains invite interaction. The statues with offerings are strongly hinted at in kakariko village. Hiding under rocks and the 'three trees' ones are pretty obscure though

Very nice, thanks. If I can pull myself away from P5 for a bit then I think I may spend a day just exploring the world and finding Koroks, should be pretty chill.

Koren

With that said, this game had a good number of cute NPCs. So I made a list of my favorites.
How did you do this? Is it a post-game thing?

I'm not insane enough to get all the Koroks.
I've basically found exploration better than the rest of the game, and since there's not many memories and I'm running out of shrines (although there's several I still havent found :( ), the game is basically "find-the-koroks" for me.

Is there someone that managed to get close to 100% without using a guide? I still find several per hour, but I'm not even halfway. Seems an insanely difficult task...

Didn't think stasis holds them for long? Might try that then
Stasis often make combat far too easy :/

jariw

The chests in deep water that can (seemingly) only be fetched from rafts, do they usually have more valuable content that the chests that can be fetched from ice pillars?

I just realised that when there are certain smaller statues with apples in baskets in front of them and one of the baskets is empty, you can put an apple from your own stash in there that a Korok will appear.

I just realised that when there are certain smaller statues with apples in baskets in front of them and one of the baskets is empty, you can put an apple from your own stash in there that a Korok will appear.

This pattern is reproduced in many scenarios. My favorite is
in Hyrule castle where you put an egg in a small hot spring pool to match the pattern and it turns them into hard-boiled eggs

Man, I was under the impression that the game had 110 shrines. I'm up to 109 and I'm pretty sure I checked the entire map this time around (previously played on Wii U). Looked it up and apparently I have 11 left.
I really don't want to look up the locations of the last ones but I also don't want to trek around the entirety of Hyrule again. Decisions..

Also, doing a 3 heart run is surprisingly fun. Not terribly challenging though, especially once you've got a firm grasp on the game's many mechanics.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
17757486_1253577114689316_484056602876402897_n.jpg

Jungfrau, Switzerland giving strong Hateno Village vibes

Nia

How did you do this? Is it a post-game thing?

It isn't. I took screenshots of the compendium and used Photoshop to edit it into a list of the NPCs using screenshots I took. As for Koroks, I might get enough to max out inventory space, but I don't plan on going further than that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so I've got this problem where I have all the divine beasts and the memories but I don't want to fight Ganon because I don't want the game to end

help

Koren

So how do you beat the guardian sentry's? The target locking is way too wonky and I don't want to use ancient arrows.
I usually sneak from behind and use *that* sword... It's crude, but it works...

Curious about the reason behind the "not using arrows" part when you can buy an unlimited amount

It isn't. I took screenshots of the compendium and used Photoshop to edit it into a list of the NPCs using screenshots I took.
Oh, I see... Nice job...

As for Koroks, I might get enough to max out inventory space, but I don't plan on going further than that.
Probably a sane solution...

But I enjoy the hunt, and I want to go on. I wonder how much you can reasonably find... Is there people that avoid any clues and managed 800+?

so I've got this problem where I have all the divine beasts and the memories but I don't want to fight Ganon because I don't want the game to end
Same (except that I still haven't beaten a single beast for the same reason)...

Though it's just because I want to enjoy those beats. It's nothing close to Awakening, I just COULDN'T finish the game when I understood what it meant. Took me months.

I S/L so many times trying to get a Hylian shield with good bonus, but never get one with golden bonus. I've seen people getting the shield with golden bonus on twitter, wonder what's the condition? Cause I haven't done all the shrine or beat Ganon? Currently 119 shrines done. There must be some parameters bind with the chance getting good stat bonus on equipments.

Jharp

Everybody told me to go to do Zora first. I feel like this was a cruel joke. Not only could half the enemies on the path up here one or two shot me, but I couldn't climb shit because it was raining 90% of the time, and now I have to beat a Lynel before even entering the dungeon.

I have three hearts and ONE stamina upgrade.

What kind of horrible cruel joke was that? What the hell, man?!

Charamiwa

Banned
17757486_1253577114689316_484056602876402897_n.jpg

Jungfrau, Switzerland giving strong Hateno Village vibes

Nice! Now I want to see a village like Kakariko in real life, hidden deep between mountains.

Everybody told me to go to do Zora first. I feel like this was a cruel joke. Not only could half the enemies on the path up here one or two shot me, but I couldn't climb shit because it was raining 90% of the time, and now I have to beat a Lynel before even entering the dungeon.

I have three hearts and ONE stamina upgrade.

You don't have to beat him, there's plenty of shock arrows on the trees. I went full stealth there.

Forkball

I feel like I can turn this game on, walk around, and still find something interesting even after I've beaten the games and found all the shrines. I just look for a place on the map I don't remember, and with no korok seed markers or shrines, and just check it out. There's always some nice scenery, enemy encounters, or the oh so important korok puzzles. I found some cool one recently. One was a block puzzle, but it was on a cliff surrounding a lake. I look around with magnesis and see that the block was hidden behind a waterfall. Another cool one was near Martha's Landing. I was just climbing around and I see a huge rock spiral. You can even see it dotted on the map. I found a stone near by and thought it must be a korok puzzle. I traced the spiral, found the gap, plopped it down, and the silly korok appeared right in the middle of the spiral. He really went all out considering his brethren are content with just hiding under a single rock.

Burny

Everybody assumed you wouldn't make it that hard on yourself. :p

You don't have to fight the Lynel, you can avoid climbing and probably just run from most enemies. Did the Zora in a very similar situation as you.

Koren

How many shrines is there in the castle?

You can even see it dotted on the map.
There's probably nearly one hundred korok puzzles that you can see on the map... but you often notice it after you've actually found the puzzle.

There's a giant diamond made with rocks that looks like a Korok puzzle (there's even a lone rock) that I've yet to trigger... it... puzzles me. ^_^

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish when I read Kass's diary it would only read incomplete entries. I'm having to visit all locations but I'm sure I've done some before..

Top Bottom