• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

sazzy

Everybody told me to go to do Zora first. I feel like this was a cruel joke. Not only could half the enemies on the path up here one or two shot me, but I couldn't climb shit because it was raining 90% of the time, and now I have to beat a Lynel before even entering the dungeon.

I have three hearts and ONE stamina upgrade.

What kind of horrible cruel joke was that? What the hell, man?!

buy the shock arrows from lurelin

I had a weird hit detection issue last night on the Wii U version. There were 3 sleeping Moblins and I took out the first one with a sneak attack. On the second, the prompt for the sneak attack came up but the hit wasn't connecting. I tried different angles but none of them worked - eventually it woke up and I had to deal with the remaining Moblins the normal way.

Everybody told me to go to do Zora first. I feel like this was a cruel joke. Not only could half the enemies on the path up here one or two shot me, but I couldn't climb shit because it was raining 90% of the time, and now I have to beat a Lynel before even entering the dungeon.

I have three hearts and ONE stamina upgrade.

What kind of horrible cruel joke was that? What the hell, man?!

I did Gerudo -> Goron -> Zora -> Rito.

It was pretty easy that way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One of the more unique Korok puzzles I've found recently (despite having all the inventory slots I can't help but find more) involved
pushing a bolder so it rolled in between two trees

One of the more unique Korok puzzles I've found recently (despite having all the inventory slots I can't help but find more) involved
pushing a bolder so it rolled in between two trees

Oh thats awesome. Where was this?

One of my favorites was a good** puzzle between Eldin and Hebra way up north. Took a lot of trial and error to get the right amount of force.

Ossom

I did Gerudo -> Goron -> Zora -> Rito.

It was pretty easy that way.

I did Gerudo, Rito, Zora, Goron.

I found the boss of the first dungeon to be the hardest and was looking forward to the challenge of the others, but due to the structure of the game I found that they only get easier.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a quick way to check which shrines still have unopened treasures left in them, or do I need to check every individual icon on the map?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is there a quick way to check which shrines still have unopened treasures left in them, or do I need to check every individual icon on the map?
You have to see if the shrine name has a treasure chest next to it or not on the map. I didn't leave a shrine until I found all the chests because I didn't want to go through that later.

Upgrading armor is much more effective than hearts in this game, you can make it so lynels deal like 4 hearts.

Edit: Unrelated: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Taking Kass To Meet Another Kass

The sheer dedication is astounding. I wonder if you could do this with other NPCs.

150 hours later, I finally found the shrine Nintendo first showed off at E3 with the big spinning room and giant spiked balls.

Haha yeah that was one of the last shrines that I found. I explored every area around that shrine except the little nook where you get the shrine quest. It was a lot of fun.

Ossom

I've seen like 15 bomb arrows after 70 hours.

I think they sell them in the Rito village. I have found that it is helpful to buy all arrows whenever you see them. Sometimes I have 50 of each and at other times 0. Wish they could be sourced another way or their drop rate increased.

Red

I think they sell them in the Rito village. I have found that it is helpful to buy all arrows whenever you see them. Sometimes I have 50 of each and at other times 0. Wish they could be sourced another way or their drop rate increased.
The only reliable spawn I have found (outside merchants) is a 5x normal arrow drop in a pot just inside the temple of time.

Jims

Aaaaand, finished.
97 shrines
144 Korok Seeds
All memories obtained
Zora -> Rito -> Goron -> Gerudo

I'll probably play more to sweep through the shrines, but as I walk away from it, the biggest thing I admire about the game is its elegant design. Its decision to give us a very specific set of tools (weapon, bow, shield, paraglider, bombs, magnet, ice, stasis) and then design a world that leverages those tools with minimal hand-holding. The verb set they give you is more limited than in Zelda games, but it gives them the ability to give you open-ended situations that let you play around with it without explicitly suggesting, "THIS IS A HOOKSHOT PUZZLE."

There are obviously shrines and examples where it is immediately clear this is, for example, a magnet puzzle. But, in general, they don't signpost the world with giant hooks everywhere. There's no Navi or Fi there, prodding you along down the prescribed puzzle solution. And then there are beautiful moments like the Constellation Puzzle, where they just drop you into a room and say, "here's a suspicious room, see if you can figure out what we're thinking of." Nothing is explicitly said. The designers trust that through observation and logic, we can figure out what they're hinting at. The lone cedar tree on Hebra Mountain is another great example. You can feel amazingly stupid trying to figure it out, but once it clicks, it is a magical moment.

(Actually the cedar trees in Lanayru are another example of intuitive and subtle signposting on the part of the developers. There's something about trees in this game.)

That being said, I would like to see their follow-up game explore the concept of "inside versus outside" more. The thing that games like Xenoblade and Xenoblade X have over Breath of the Wild is that ability for you to find a little hole in the wall, go inside, and proclaim, "what IS this place???" And Zelda certainly has these moments (Hebra is the best at this feeling), but would like to see this expanded upon in the future.

(And, as I complained before, the Rito portion of the critical path is too short and abrupt. Great sidequests, bad main quest. I suspect Revali was being difficult during the shoot, and Nintendo didn't want to deal with him anymore.) :p

But those are pretty minor tweaks, really. What an amazing experience of a game this was.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a list of kass quests somewhere? Just the names would be enough so I can check what I've done. I thought I completed them all but nothing happened?

I haven't been to the Rito area yet if that matters

Charamiwa

Banned
Is there a list of kass quests somewhere? Just the names would be enough so I can check what I've done. I thought I completed them all but nothing happened?

I haven't been to the Rito area yet if that matters

You can find his diary somewhere in the world where he hangs out for a Shrine Quest. There's a list of all the places to check out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can find his diary somewhere in the world where he hangs out for a Shrine Quest. There's a list of all the places to check out.

Pretty sure I've done them all. There are a couple where I can't find him, and there is a
blessing shrine
nearby which makes me think they're complete.

Charamiwa

Banned
Pretty sure I've done them all. There are a couple where I can't find him, and there is a
blessing shrine
nearby which makes me think they're complete.

Have you done the Hero's Cache quest? That one isn't tied to a Shrine but I'm pretty sure it counts.

edit: Wait you've never been to the Rito area? If so, maybe you've done them all and you don't know it because the finale for the character is there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have you done the Hero's Cache quest? That one isn't tied to a Shrine but I'm pretty sure it counts.

edit: Wait you've never been to the Rito area? If so, maybe you've done them all and you don't know it because the finale for the character is there.

Yes, just done that one. Confused me because I was looking for a shrine :p

I'll head off to rito when my son finishes with his session

my 12 year old sisters started playing two days ago, and they're going southeast towards vah naboris. i don't want to dictate them what to do, but they're going to get destroyed lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my 12 year old sisters started playing two days ago, and they're going southeast towards vah naboris. i don't want to dictate them what to do, but they're going to get destroyed lol

Why? That seems the (relatively) telegraphed route - kakariko-hateno-zora?

KevinG

90 hours. 120 Shrines.

Just got the
Tunic of the Wild
and I think my time with the game has come to an end for now. I'll dabble in my remaining side quests and such, but I'm excited for he DLC.

Why? That seems the (relatively) telegraphed route - kakariko-hateno-zora?

their logic was literally this: "hmm we're in hateno and the eastern beast seems to be the closest geographically, but without fast travel options it's quicker to go back to the western great plateau and then continue on foot towards the southwest"

they're at 3 hearts and 1 extra stamina upgrade. this isn't going to end well for them. i'll let them struggle for a while before suggesting going back to hateno and then to zora's domain.

What are you supposed to do when you step on the log and a timer starts counting down and in the distance there's this checkpoint? I think you're supposed to go through it before the timer finishes?

Sorry for the bad explanation.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
What are you supposed to do when you step on the log and a timer starts counting down and in the distance there's this checkpoint? I think you're supposed to go through it before the timer finishes?

Sorry for the bad explanation.
Yes, exactly that

Drewfonse

Really, really enjoying this game. I'm burned out on open world games, but this is pretty amazing. That being said, I'm still approaching it as a relatively linear experience (I know, I know). I around 30 hrs in, and have beaten the first 3 DB, and only beaten 22 shrines. I'm probably just going to solve as many shrines as I need to beef up my hearts a bit more, but I can't imagine going over 35. I know that this sounds like sacrilege, but I'll be happy to wrap it up in a tidy 45 hrs or so. It's been an amazing experience so far, but extraneous stuff in open world games always bogs down the experience for me, even in one as polished and incredible as this one.

Koren

Oh thats awesome. Where was this?
If it's the one I'm thinking about,
on the slope north (north-east I'd say) of the twin peaks...
if I remember correctly.

One of my favorites was a gold puzzle between Eldin and Hebra way up north. Took a lot of trial and error to get the right amount of force.
Gold puzzle?

I've seen like 15 bomb arrows after 70 hours.
Really ? I currently have over 160 of those, and I'd say I have bought only a dozen at the beginning (and used more than that)

Guru-Guru

Banned
Played about 10 hours the last 2 days. Love it so far. Unfortunately the game crashed on me yesterday--froze, then booted me out of the game. Has this happened to anybody else? I hope it was a one time deal.. :(

If it's the one I'm thinking about,
on the slope north (north-east I'd say) of the twin peaks...
if I remember correctly.

Gold puzzle?

Really ? I currently have over 160 of those, and I'd say I have bought only a dozen at the beginning (and used more than that)

Oops meant to say "golf". Phone typo.

Thanks for the heads up of the location! Ill go check it out.

Koren

Played about 10 hours the last 2 days. Love it so far. Unfortunately the game crashed on me yesterday--froze, then booted me out of the game. Has this happened to anybody else? I hope it was a one time deal.. :(
Happened to me once, too... I also hope it's a one-time issue.

Probs meant Golf.

Oops meant to say "golf". Phone typo.
I see... I suspected something like that, but couldn't figure the typo. Thanks.

Smellycat

Progress report:

170-190 hours . 90 shrines done, 3 divine beasts down and 233 korok puzzles done. I just finished looting Hyrule Castle too. Still have 1 tower left, but I purposely left it for last because I simply love the Akkala region and I want to fully explore it after finishing divine beast #4. Then, I have to finish Zelda's pictures quest. After that, it is off to beat Ganon and finish the story.

76rTVHm.jpg

DonShula

Just noticed some shrines on my map have a treasure chest icon next to their names. What is this witchcraft? Am I to believe I missed a chest in these shrines?

FTF

Ok so I'm not sure if this is a glitch or what, but I just completed all
shrines and got the
old school green cap, tunic and pants
but my shrine quest count says only
41/42
:/

Edit: Huh, also just noticed this thread was in community.

Top Bottom