• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Vena

So looking through all the combat videos, is the Fatal blow not in BoTW?
Ending_Blow.gif

LOVED delivering that fatal stab at the end in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I hope it's a learned skill later in the game.

I hope not. Then they can remove the crappy move from Link in Smash!

Time to give him a good move, like Witch Time. And Thunder. And projectile reflection. And the fire rod.

So looking through all the combat videos, is the Fatal blow not in BoTW?
Ending_Blow.gif

LOVED delivering that fatal stab at the end in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I hope it's a learned skill later in the game.

Kinda. You can pull off that move from mid-air. So, either jump off of something, or from your glider.

I've been wondering, but I don't wanna watch a bunch of videos and gifs so maybe someone can help me out here:

How in depth is the combat? Like, fighting hand to hand? Can smaller enemies move through your attacks and/or dodge? Is it easy to stun lock lost of enemies resulting in "mash attack to defeat?" Do weapons have pretty varied move sets with cool combinations of moves? How does parrying work?

I'm just hoping that one-on-one encounters can be clever and varied. I want to dodge through attacks and learn how enemy hitboxes line up with my dodge invincibility, and deliver cool critical attacks even on smaller enemies. Combat mechanics are some of the coolest part of action RPGs for me, so I'm hoping these things are as satisfying and surprisingly deep as the rest of the game and world.

1. There Are No I-Frames on dodges much like previous Zelda games (enemy movesets carefully consider this in mind). You literally dodge in this game by not getting hit and backflips and sidesteps facilitate this.

2. Bokoblins don't really dodge but Lizalfos can and will move very fast and launch a variety of projectiles. Other enemies can move in interesting ways.

3. 1v1 is not something that this game excels at compared to say Dark Souls (Some enemies do better at this than others like Lizalfos). It's much closer to The Evil Within or RE4 where individual enemies can do big damage if the player is not careful but the player can easily take them out unless it's a boss type. Most of the time, it's going to be groups of enemies that you're going to handle and crowd control strategy is a key element of combat in tandem with resource management.

4. Weapon movesets are basic but they're all different and different weapons within different archetypes have different properties including durability which can impact fights in a meaningful manner. The Physics engine also facilitates some pretty nuanced interactions in tandem with the crowd control elements mentioned earlier.

5. Rune abilities are also part of combat but they demand more creativity, but also consume the least resources to implement for the most part.

6. Link can perform a lot of dodge and jump cancels and smoothly transitions between melee or ranged.

7. The bow is as much of a tool as any other weapon used to knock down enemies deal bonus damage, use elemental arrows for other effects.

8. Parrying requires holding the lock on and hitting the A button at the right time. Success can reflect projectiles and disarm enemies no bonus damage like Dark Souls though.

9. You can also use your horse to damage enemies and enemies can do things like Pick up other objects in the environment to throw at you.

As far as variety I think a the environment/enemy interactions will play into that a lot. We've already seen instances of enemies grabbing downed trees, throwing smaller enemies, picking up various items, etc., to attack Link. So in that sense I get the impression that encounters will have a lot variety to them. As far as pure sword play/weapon mechanics it's hard to tell how deep those are. I saw a post earlier mentioning that someone air combo'd an enemy with a spear, but I'm not sure how far that sort of thing goes. Kind of depends on the weapon/item variety and how they are used. The strict weapon durability will be great on this front though, pushing players to use different weapons and so on.

As far as variety I think a the environment/enemy interactions will play into that a lot. We've already seen instances of enemies grabbing downed trees, throwing smaller enemies, picking up various items, etc., to attack Link. So in that sense I get the impression that encounters will have a lot variety to them. As far as pure sword play/weapon mechanics it's hard to tell how deep those are. I saw a post earlier mentioning that someone air combo'd an enemy with a spear, but I'm not sure how far that sort of thing goes. Kind of depends on the weapon/item variety and how they are used. The strict weapon durability will be great on this front though, pushing players to use different weapons and so on.

1. There Are No I-Frames on dodges much like previous Zelda games (enemy movesets carefully consider this in mind). You literally dodge in this game by not getting hit and backflips and sidesteps facilitate this.

2. Bokoblins don't really dodge but Lizalfos can and will move very fast and launch a variety of projectiles. Other enemies can move in interesting ways.

3. 1v1 is not something that this game excels at compared to say Dark Souls (Some enemies do better at this than others like Lizalfos). It's much closer to The Evil Within or RE4 where individual enemies can do big damage if the player is not careful but the player can easily take them out unless it's a boss type. Most of the time, it's going to be groups of enemies that you're going to handle and crowd control strategy is a key element of combat in tandem with resource management.

4. Weapon movesets are basic but they're all different and different weapons within different archetypes have different properties including durability which can impact fights in a meaningful manner. The Physics engine also facilitates some pretty nuanced interactions in tandem with the crowd control elements mentioned earlier.

5. Rune abilities are also part of combat but they demand more creativity, but also consume the least resources to implement for the most part.

6. Link can perform a lot of dodge and jump cancels and smoothly transitions between melee or ranged.

7. The bow is as much of a tool as any other weapon used to knock down enemies deal bonus damage, use elemental arrows for other effects.

8. Parrying requires holding the lock on and hitting the A button at the right time. Success can reflect projectiles and disarm enemies no bonus damage like Dark Souls though.

9. You can also use your horse to damage enemies and enemies can do things like Pick up other objects in the environment to throw at you.

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like it's kinda what I expected given it's Zelda, but hearing that the dynamic nature of the environment extends to the combat options is awesome.

Any indications on enemy variety? I haven't watched too many vids, but they're almost always the same goblin-looking guys and those giant guardian things

Any indications on enemy variety? I haven't watched too many vids, but they're almost always the same goblin-looking guys and those giant guardian things

There are... red guys and blue guys and big ass war walker guys with laser beams. Then there are guys that have mops... those are dangerous. Oh and dead guys!

Yes. There are various lizard enemies, warrior enemies, giant ogre creatures, sand worm monsters, ChuChus of all saizes and elements, etc.

There are... red guys and blue guys and big ass war walker guys with laser beams. Then there are guys that have mops... those are dangerous. Oh and dead guys!

Yes. There are various lizard enemies, warrior enemies, giant ogre creatures, sand worm monsters, ChuChus of all saizes and elements, etc.

That's good to know. Just hope they have a lot of the classics in some form or another

jnWake

Can people link the things we haven't seen on the plateau? We have a spoiler thread. I didn't even know there were
poes
, now i know they have a brand new design, would've been nice to see that in game first.

That's the Twilight Princess design.

EDIT: I edited either way. If you don't want spoilers I'd edit the spoiler in your post too!

Can somebody PLEASE help me understand something...

The television I want to hook up my switch to has a 1366 x 768 resolution, and I know it supports 720p and 1080i.

On this television, will I be able to to play Zelda at 900p?

Or if not and I have to select between 720p or 1080i mode, which should I choose?

I haven't read anything about that detail regarding the Switch. For Xbox and PlayStation, I'm pretty sure everything runs at the same resolution regardless of your TV's output setting. It's just that the console either upscales or downscales the game's frame according to what you have set before sending it to the TV. The Switch may be a different beast though because the games are also built to a handle a 720p screen in handheld mode. However, I still reckon that it's going to run at 900p regardless.

It has been years since I had to make the progressive vs interlaced choice, but I'm pretty sure I generally did 720p. That's what I would recommend.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Spoiler thread exists people.

Please use digression when posting things.

atr0cious

That's the Twilight Princess design.
Do you mean, that image is from TP, or just the design is similar. If it's the latter, linking instead of embedding is much appreciated. I'm thirsty for mechanics info, but want to remain dark on what's all there to see in the game.

Do you mean, that image is from TP, or just the design is similar. If it's the latter, linking instead of embedding is much appreciated. I'm thirsty for mechanics info, but want to remain dark on what's all there to see in the game.
It's not similar at all. I haven't seen anything like TP design in the game previews.

jnWake

The image I posted is the
poe
of Twilight Princess. I don't even know if that enemy is in the game, I was just commenting on the opinion of the poster about Twilight Princess'
poes

Was it a poe or a
wizzrobe
? I saw something that teleported around and acted like wizzrobe but it might've been a poe

Oh shit I've never even heard of one of those so maybe it is??

Also I'm really really sorry I didn't spoiler it, it was in a video earlier up thread so I assumed it was fair game to talk about. I spoiler tagged it, and for anyone upset they read it, it looks like we don't even know what it was so I might have been completely wrong in calling it that.

atr0cious

The image I posted is the
poe
of Twilight Princess. I don't even know if that enemy is in the game, I was just commenting on the opinion of the poster about Twilight Princess'
poes
OK cool. Wasn't trying to attack, and i know spoiler culture is annoying, just thought you were linking like a cutout from a YouTube video.

brad-t

Can people link the things we haven't seen on the plateau? We have a spoiler thread. I didn't even know there were poes, now i know they have a brand new design, would've been nice to see that in game first.

Knowing that a classic Zelda enemy is returning with a new design isn't really a spoiler. If you don't want any new information about this game then you probably shouldn't be reading the preview thread, since the previews encompass a lot of content outside of the Plateau.

atr0cious

Knowing that a classic Zelda enemy is returning with a new design isn't really a spoiler. If you don't want any new information about this game then you probably shouldn't be reading the preview thread, since the previews encompass a lot of content outside of the Plateau.
I just asked for it to be linked not embedded, i don't mind it in the thread. It's not that big of an ask. I'm listening to podcasts, but dodging images. And also, poes are embargoed as they're only allowed to talk about bobkins. The first 5 hours is everything the plateau offered and maybe a little more depending on how much they remember from playing before. They're not even allowed to mention anything past basic swords. That's why I thought this thread would be safe. But some previews, especially video have been breaking embargo, which is why we have a spoiler thread.

Yeah but there still needs to be much, much more. Skyrim can be a bore from how little it mixes it up. If bobokin=drauger that will be quite dissappinting.

I don't think the game will be lacking in enemy variety or varied scenarios to tackle enemies.

From my counts, there should be a around 50 or so enemy movesets so far and the game often throws more of them in groups which offers a lot more potential in terms of variety than 1 v 1 encounters. Add in AI, other emergent systems and durability, I don't think combat variety will wane so long as Nintendo mixes up the enemies around alongside the structures and areas that you fight them around.

It also helps that there's a clear focus on quality enemy designs it seems (which I strongly like, the only fodder in the game appear to be Blue Chu Chus and everything else seems rather dangerous or has a quirk to be learned and used), even tightly designed hitboxes offer opportunities for combat variety.

Those red barrels set in camps are real lazy level design and yet I see them everywhere :/ Even Ubisoft doesn't put them everywhere in camps so that you can kill everyone in one shot from a distance with no consequence to what you did and a true outcome for minimal risk

well you need to have a fire arrow or bomb arrow, something incendiary. but also they aren;t there for NO reason. enemies will lift them up and chuck them at you from a safe distance. I mean, I sort of feel you, but also feel like theyre not going to be as ubiquitous as youre worried about

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dammit this game has some pretty explosions. That artstyle looks great in motion.

Having read most of the previous, and going by the different clips and impressions, I can only marvel at the sheer talent of Nintendo teams when it comes to delivering excellent gameplay experiences. Even when thy borrow from the giant pool of references around, they do it in such an ingenious way that it never seems or feels forced. I also love the Ghibli feel, especially nowadays, when most of the production goes for bleak universes and serious tones. To have a wonderfully colorful, gigantic and dynamic world to be lost in for tens and tens of hours feels like a breeze in a hot summer day...

Top Bottom