• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

mjp2417

Banned
I know the game isn't even out but will we get another 3D Zelda on the Switch in its lifespan???

Assuming the Switch isn't a Wii U level disaster, I would expect one towards the end of its life cycle a la Skyward Sword. There is typically around a 5 year gap between mainline 3D Zeldas.

hatchx

Banned
The only chance Zelda has of selling 10 million or more is if it truly becomes an evergreen title.

...and I do think it has a chance.

This the weird thing,that would be like the best selling Zelda by far.

Even Skyward Sword "only" sold like 2.5 millions on the Wii i can't imagine BoTW selling more than 3.5 on the Wii U unless the Switch was a huge success.

Don't get why some people have those expectations though i would like to eat crow on this
Ocarina of time LTD sales 11.42 million... Twilight Princess 8.69 million... Wind Waker HD on Wii U 2.11 Million and 4.13 GCN....

Peléo

These are Zelda total sales to give you some perspective.

2006 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 8.58 (7.26 on Wii)
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.60
1987 NES The Legend of Zelda 6.51
2007 DS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 4.76
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61
2003 GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.43
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Seasons/Ages 3.98
1993 GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.83
2011 Wii The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 3.67
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36
2009 DS The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks 2.98
2013 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds 2.90
2004 GBA The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap 1.76
2015 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes 1.14
2004 GC The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords 0.81

Source is http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

I'm not sure what constitute a spoiler for you but the Polygon one was pretty fun to watch imo. I think it shows a new monster that we hadn't seen before though.

No, that'd be a disaster. It's going to sell at least 4 millions by the end of the year, probably more. Sony is pushing it hard (as they should).
Thanks!
This is what I'm waiting for since I'll be playing on Wii U.

Everyone is talking about Zelda in that thread! Lol.
Seriously? Its Hype time goddamnit!

Why the hell people going in threads talkin bout games they dont care about lol?

I just realized that Wind Waker has a 96 metacritic.

I thought it was 91 or something. i was going to predict BOTW was going to have the same score lol.

jdstorm

Banned
Nintendo is virtually sold out of Switches at launch (estimated 2M) and i doubt many of them will be being purchased for 1,2 Switch or Just Dance.

They maybe add another Million WiiU owners who couldnt get hold of a Switch plus collectors who know how valuable the WiiU version will be in the future and 3.5M at launch would be the absolute minimum.

Peléo;230981992 said:

Where are the spinoffs? All I see is Link's Crossbow Training and how in the hell did it sell 5 million units?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think potentially BotW could outpace past games by a good margin simply because its style is potentially much more appealing to a wider audience and buzz around it so far is off the charts. The biggest factor in all this is the Switch itself and whether it can create a momentum behind it to create a userbase for BotW to grow with. And having a game like BotW on it at launch certainly should help with that.

Forkball

Peléo;230981992 said:

According to this Link's Crossbow Training sold nearly six million? No way six million people bought that zapper thing.

Remake sales:

1998 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.22
2002 GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords 2.82
2011 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 4.52
2011 DS The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition No data
2013 Wii U The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD 2.11
2015 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 2.03
2016 Wii U The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD < 1.00

I can see why they like remaking these...

Supreme source

I was bored and decided to compare to sales numbers of the Zelda series. Starting with the highest selling games.

Games released on multiple consoles have sales numbers combined in order to avoid confusion.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64/3DS) - 11.42 million copies (7.6 million for the N64 version, 3.82 million for the 3DS version)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii/GCN) - 8.69 million copies (7.26 million for the Wii version, 1.43 million for the GC version)
3.The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES/GBA) - 7.47 million copies (4.61 million for SNES version, 2.86 million for the GBA version)
4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) - 6.51 million copies* (NES sales)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB/GBC) - 6.05 million copies (3.83 million for Game Boy version,2.22 million for DX version)
6.The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN/Wii U) - 6.54 million copies (4.43 million for the GCN version, 2.11 million for Wii U version)
7.Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)** - 5.79 million copies (Wii sales)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64/3DS) - 5.39 million copies (3.36 million for N64 version, 2.03 million for 3DS version)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) - 4.76 million copies (DS Sales)
10. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) - 4.38 million copies*** (NES sales)
11. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - 3.99 million (GBC Sales)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) - 3.67 million copies (Wii Sales)
13. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) - 2.96 million copies (Ds Sales)
14. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 2.9 million copies (3DS Sales)
15.The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) - 1.76 million copies (GBA Sales)
16. Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) - 1 million copies shipped (Wii U Sales)

Notes:
-Four Swords Adventures is the only Zelda title to never cross the million mark. (Not barring Triforce Heroes as that game isn't even a month old yet as of 11/15/2015)
-Neither of the Tingle games (Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love and Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland) reached a million either.
-It would be pretty difficult to keep track of Virtual Console releases since Nintendo never releases numbers for them

*There is a chance that numbers for this game could be higher if one would take the Game Boy Advance version into account, but numbers were never given for it.
**Included in a bundle with the Wii Zapper
***Same case as Zelda 1

So, what do you guys think?
If you guys find any discrepancies, let me know!

Major thanks to Celine and TheMoon.

Peléo;230981992 said:

How did this sell so little comparatively? Such a good game.

Seriously? Its Hype time goddamnit!

Why the hell people going in threads talkin bout games they dont care about lol?

High profile exclusive games launching close to each other with surface similarities. It was always going to happen. Previewers comparing the games certainly doesn't help matters.

Anyway, a level of comparison between different titles is fine if it's apt (like someone comparing the level of game system flexibility in BOTW to MGSV is interesting) but that doesn't really hold true with Horizon vs BOTW.

There are some people out there who are genuinely looking for info to decide which game to pick up first. Too many good games at the moment to play everything... Hard decisions need to be made.

High profile exclusive games launching close to each other with surface similarities. It was always going to happen. Previewers comparing the games certainly doesn't help matters.

Anyway, a level of comparison between different titles is fine if it's apt (like someone comparing the level of game system flexibility in BOTW to MGSV is interesting) but that doesn't really hold true with Horizon vs BOTW.

There are some people out there who are genuinely looking for info to decide which game to pick up first. Too many good games at the moment to play everything... Hard decisions need to be made.
Yeah but this is gaf, no one is really level headed here for conversation to appear genuine

Forkball

It came out like a month after Pokemon, and the same day as Super Mario 3D World. The 3DS had a great year, and there was a lot of competition. Not to mention that Xbone and PS4 came out around the same time. Plus maybe people are more drawn to 3D Zeldas these days. OoT 3D outsold LBW, and hell even MM 3D nearly outsold it. I hope they don't discard 2D Zeldas forever after this.

Neoweee

Assuming the Switch isn't a Wii U level disaster, I would expect one towards the end of its life cycle a la Skyward Sword. There is typically around a 5 year gap between mainline 3D Zeldas.

The handheld lineage and the console lineage may merge and overlap now, which will be interesting.

I am amazed. AAA game and five years of development. It only needs to sell 2 million to be profitable.

Everyone's complaining that BOTW looks "ugly", and I can understand that viewpoint kinda, but honestly, I have to wonder how expensive this game would be if Nintendo designed it on super high tech hardware like the PS4 Pro or something.

2013 was the year 3DS was picking up steam plus it released same day as 3D world. A lot of good games that year

Still pretty impressive and it was the second highest rated 3DS game of the year. I think people were a bit weary because of the last ds Zelda games. Those were a bit mixed response from the public.

If you're talking about comparisons in general, people are just doing so because they're exclusives coming out at the same time, they're both open world, and both games feature a bow as a main weapon.

If you're talking about the Waypoint podcast I talked about earlier, he compares the overall approach to the open world genre that each game goes for, and Austin vastly prefers one approach over the other. It's actually a really interesting discussion to have, but only from people who have actually played both.

Gotcha. Makes sense, thanks for the elaboration.

I can definitely understand the preference to approaches. I myself prefer the sandbox approach in Zelda, for many of the reasons I did in MGSV.

Not sure I'd pick Horizon as the point of comparison for that sort of approach personally, (as a high point in the approach that it is going for, I think TW3 is more appropriate) but I suppose it doesn't matter much.

BD1

Banned
The only chance Zelda has of selling 10 million or more is if it truly becomes an evergreen title.

...and I do think it has a chance.

It's probably going to have a near 100% attach rate through at least this year, so it should do well for Nintendo.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, not sure what you mean. I was saying lot's of people in the Horizon thread are talking about Zelda so it's not just happening in here. It's only going to get worse over the next week.

Ah, sorry. I read your post wrong. Thought you meant no one was talking about Horizon in this thread.

Wanderer5

I'm always surprised at how badly Minish Cap sold, I love that game.

Yeah it is such a shame.:/ One of my favorites from the series. Kind of wonder if it was least partly cause of the DS release then and people were heading off there and all (even through you can still play GBA games with the DS).

Just beat it again, and it is still as wonderful as ever.

Peléo

Couldn't help but do a graphic with the sales:

Console & Handheld (excluding remakes and spinoffs)
H1U9GOE.jpg

KrawlMan

I am amazed. AAA game and five years of development. It only needs to sell 2 million to be profitable.

I'd imagine Nintendo takes home a bigger piece of the pie with each sale because it's first party. I wonder what the number of units would have to be if this game were made by some third party dev and sold on Switch.

KingBroly

Banned
Peléo;230982834 said:
Couldn't help but do a graphic with the sales:

I can't read this. Make it a Pie Graph.

Where'd that gif of
Link reflecting a Guardian laser come from?
Because I want to do that and I need to study it.

Peléo;230982318 said:
Is there any spinoff besides Hyrule Warriors?

Crossbow Training was sold packed with the Wii-Zapper, which explains the numbers.

Yes. CD-i games, plus Tingle's Balloon Fight DS and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland and Zelda Game & Watch.

Hawk269

Was the resolution in docked mode ever 100% confirmed? Last I read (been on a black out) it was 900p but it was not final code and there was some talk of 1080p.

Top Bottom